I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the printer. Is this true?

I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
printer. Is this true?
0
Enda80

"Enda80" <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
> it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt
> the
> printer. Is this true?

I did it once and the printer was so hurt it bawled like a baby for 15
minutes!

0
Frank
5/25/2008 4:26:02 PM
"Enda80" <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
> it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
> printer. Is this true?

Not if you turn it around and print on the other side.

0
Jerry
5/25/2008 4:34:43 PM
On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:34:43 UTC, "Jerry" <Hello@abcdefgspam.com> wrote:

> "Enda80" <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
> > it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
> > printer. Is this true?
>
> Not if you turn it around and print on the other side.

There's a tiny element of truth here. If you print on a laser printer,
then use the same paper again, its moisture content has sometimes
reduced to the point where it jams. And some jams are always bad!

Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

0
Bob
5/25/2008 5:26:02 PM

"Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:34:43 UTC, "Jerry" <Hello@abcdefgspam.com> wrote:
>
>> "Enda80" <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
>> > it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
>> > printer. Is this true?
>>
>> Not if you turn it around and print on the other side.
>
> There's a tiny element of truth here. If you print on a laser printer,
> then use the same paper again, its moisture content has sometimes
> reduced to the point where it jams. And some jams are always bad!
>
> Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.
>
> --
> Bob Eager
> Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
> http://www.mirrorservice.org

That’s why all my printers are duplex printers... lasers and inkjets...
No need to put the paper back through the printer...

Stryker®

0
Stryker
5/25/2008 5:37:01 PM
Frank Arthur wrote:

> "Enda80" <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
> > it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt
> > the
> > printer. Is this true?
>
> I did it once and the printer was so hurt it bawled like a baby for 15
> minutes!

I was going to do one of those but couldn't be arsed :O)
--
Paul  (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
> Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.

I do that all the time with no real problems. If you don't do that when you
only need one or two address labels, it will cost you a small fortune in
wasted label sheets, which can be VERY expensive, especially for the "clear"
label sheets.

The trick is to print the bottom rows first, even only 1 label sometimes.
The top of the label sheet will then stay rigid enough to accurately pull
into your printer, provided you don't otherwise bend or mangle the label
sheet between uses.

Harry

0
HNN
5/25/2008 7:27:08 PM
Enda80 <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote:
>I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
>it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
>printer. Is this true?

Someone has mentioned labels. The issue with labels is if you reprint on a
partially used label sheet using a laser printer, the glue on the labels gets
heated a second time and some label stock does not survive that well resulting
in labels coming off in the printer and sticking to rollers (usually an
expensive fuser). The question of paper drying out and sometimes curling when
printed on a laser printer is also real.
Generally reprinting on an inkjet is fine but on laser printers is not the best
practice.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Tony
5/25/2008 7:44:29 PM
On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:37:01 UTC, "Stryker" <noway@upyours.duh> wrote:

> > There's a tiny element of truth here. If you print on a laser printer,
> > then use the same paper again, its moisture content has sometimes
> > reduced to the point where it jams. And some jams are always bad!
> >
> > Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.
> >
> Thats why all my printers are duplex printers... lasers and inkjets...
> No need to put the paper back through the printer...

Um...with most of the duplex printers I've seen, the paper DOES go
through twice...

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

0
Bob
5/25/2008 7:47:27 PM
On Sun, 25 May 2008 19:27:08 UTC, "-HNN-" <FaqueAddress@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.
>
> I do that all the time with no real problems. If you don't do that when you
> only need one or two address labels, it will cost you a small fortune in
> wasted label sheets, which can be VERY expensive, especially for the "clear"
> label sheets.
>
> The trick is to print the bottom rows first, even only 1 label sometimes.
> The top of the label sheet will then stay rigid enough to accurately pull
> into your printer, provided you don't otherwise bend or mangle the label
> sheet between uses.

As noted by Tony, it's dangerous with laser printers (probably more with
older ones, which seem to run hotter). And I guess I was really thinking
of that....

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

0
Bob
5/25/2008 8:48:09 PM

>> Thats why all my printers are duplex printers... lasers and inkjets...
>> No need to put the paper back through the printer...
>
> Um...with most of the duplex printers I've seen, the paper DOES go
> through twice...

yes, but it doesn't go through the entire feeding process from tray to
exit.... a lot of times the paper wont feed properly when you attempt to run
them through again.... but newer lasers  do not have this problem....
except for labels... I wouldn’t trust running labels through a laser twice.

Stryker®

0
Stryker
5/26/2008 7:47:38 AM
On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:47:38 UTC, "Stryker" <noway@upyours.duh> wrote:

> >> Thats why all my printers are duplex printers... lasers and inkjets...
> >> No need to put the paper back through the printer...
> >
> > Um...with most of the duplex printers I've seen, the paper DOES go
> > through twice...
>
> yes, but it doesn't go through the entire feeding process from tray to
> exit.... a lot of times the paper wont feed properly when you attempt to run
> them through again.... but newer lasers  do not have this problem....
> except for labels... I wouldnt trust running labels through a laser twice.

Agreed. However, they usually go through the fuser twice...which is the
hot bit! On my LJ4+, the paper goes from the input tray, drum,
fuser...then into the duplexer holding area which is BELOW the input
tray. Then it feeds up as if it had come from the input tray, drum,
fuser....exit. That last bit of the paper path is quite curved and
happens only once.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

0
Bob
5/26/2008 8:21:18 AM
On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:44:29 -0500, Tony
<tonythebengaltiger@gmail.com> wrote:

>Someone has mentioned labels. The issue with labels is if you reprint on a
>partially used label sheet using a laser printer, the glue on the labels gets
>heated a second time and some label stock does not survive that well resulting
>in labels coming off in the printer and sticking to rollers (usually an
>expensive fuser). The question of paper drying out and sometimes curling when
>printed on a laser printer is also real.
>Generally reprinting on an inkjet is fine but on laser printers is not the best
>practice.

I have printed individual labels from a 6x3 sheet for many years first
on a HP Laserjet III and now on a 5L.  Not one problem that I can
recall.

Maybe just lucky with the label stock I use.

--
AnthonyL
0

In terms of most cases, if the print is dry or otherwise fused onto the
paper properly, the risk of damage is very unlikely.

Paper which is used several times through a printer may become rippled,
the edges may become frayed, etc, and this may cause problems with paper
transport (jamming)

In most of my laser printers, I use paper which has already been printed
on on one side, with negligible negatives.  Sometime there may be a
paper jam, or the feed rollers may get a bit glazed with toner from the
already one side used pages, but the ability to use previously used
paper, make sit good value.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
   I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

       http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Enda80 wrote:
> I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
> it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
> printer. Is this true?
0
Arthur
5/28/2008 11:22:30 AM
Enda80 <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
> it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
> printer. Is this true?

Hi!
I read 13 replies now and I think one is missing, so I add it here.
It's not really "hurting" the printer but may lead to trouble.

A Laser printer puts a small amount of silicon oil on its rubber coated
roller to prevent the (still hot) toner to stick on the rubber.
If you put the paper in the printer a second time, a small amount of
this silicon oil is left on the rubber rollers which feed the paper in.
This can lead to make them slippery and not able to feed paper properly.
Well, if the printer is designed for duplex printing, the rollers are
able to stand it. If it's not, you may experience this effect.

I learned about this from a photocopier service technician, and I had
experienced this myself.
I once thought it was a good idea to re-use one side printed paper from
a laser printer for draft printing in a inkjet printer.
It worked for a while but then paper feed failed.
After cleaning the rollers of the inkjet printer it worked again, and
after I learned about the silicon oil I know why.

--
Wilfried Hennings
please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid

While some higher volume photocopiers still use silicon or "fuser" oil,
most laser printers have gotten away from it with changes in the toner
formulations, better non-stick coatings on the fuser, and lower fuser
temperatures, again due to the toner chemistry.

The paper feed rollers on inkjet printers tend to be less robust, in
general, and they will often glaze just from use, picking up paper dust
and especially the coatings used on specialized inkjet papers.

Wilfried Hennings wrote:
> Enda80 <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
>> it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
>> printer. Is this true?
>
> Hi!
> I read 13 replies now and I think one is missing, so I add it here.
> It's not really "hurting" the printer but may lead to trouble.
>
> A Laser printer puts a small amount of silicon oil on its rubber coated
> roller to prevent the (still hot) toner to stick on the rubber.
> If you put the paper in the printer a second time, a small amount of
> this silicon oil is left on the rubber rollers which feed the paper in.
> This can lead to make them slippery and not able to feed paper properly.
> Well, if the printer is designed for duplex printing, the rollers are
> able to stand it. If it's not, you may experience this effect.
>
> I learned about this from a photocopier service technician, and I had
> experienced this myself.
> I once thought it was a good idea to re-use one side printed paper from
> a laser printer for draft printing in a inkjet printer.
> It worked for a while but then paper feed failed.
> After cleaning the rollers of the inkjet printer it worked again, and
> after I learned about the silicon oil I know why.
>

> --
> Wilfried Hennings
> please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid
0
Arthur

Queue of printer cycles, but printer does not print
Hi, we have two printers in our network, both connected to a different computer. When installed, they worked well, but now and then they refuse to print and they show a strange bahaviour. When looking in the Queue (Spooler), the print jobs are cycling. So, the first becomes the last while the second becomes the first, thirt becomes second, etc When we restart the computer, the printer starts printing, just befor shutdown. We Run XP-pro. Any ideas????? Thanks, Ben By the way, it is an old panasonic matrix printer (used for labels) and a HP officejet HP 1170c, bot...

ATTAC "On the Fly printing" printing to default printer regardless of printer choice in dialog box.
Our application has used this PrintersClass module for some time without a problem but some new Toughbooks have caused problems. We use laser printers, usually the default choice, and some label printers. The label printers use the Seagull Scientific print drivers. The new notebooks will not print to the selected label printers even though the default printer for the report comes up in the dialog box as the selected printer. Even if you redundantly select this label printer again, before selecting print, you get the label printed to the user profile's default printer instead of the selecte...

IE - Print to Default Printer
Hello, I have an .asp page that needs to print multiple, seperate text documents to 1 printer. That one printer could be any printer based on the user. I aldready have the hDC (Device Context) of their desired printer on a previous page. I simply want to do the Window.print or some other method to print these documents without having the Print Dialog box display forceing the user to select the same printer over and over again. This can be in either JavaScript or VBScript for all I care. Heck, even .Net if need-be. I just really need help. TIA, Kevin ...

How can I send a print to a different printer than the default printer?
I want to send my print to a different printer than the default printer. The only argument i have is the 'cDevice'. Is it possible to do that ? Regards George Hi George, try this: FUNCTION SetDefaultPrinter(cPrinter AS STRING) AS LOGIC // Set the given printer to be the default printer // cPrinter: name of printer to be made default // returns: whether successful LOCAL hPrinter AS PTR LOCAL pInfo AS _WinPrinter_Info_2 LOCAL size AS DWORD LOCAL done AS LOGIC IF OpenPrinter(String2Psz(cPrinter), @hPrinter, NULL_PTR) GetPrinter(hPrinter, 2, NULL_PTR, 0, @size)...

A Virtual Printer That Lets You Print Big Posters With ANY Printer
I want to announce a utility program I've published -- free software, GPL, this is not a commercial advertisement (and I don't ask for donations either) -- for the creation of posters . I think it could make it much easier for all kinds of interest groups to communicate their message. Basically, you can create a poster from anything you can print to a single page on your normal printer. The poster can be big -- 5 feet, or more, on a side, if you want. You can use any application to make it. You can grab an image from the internet using your web browser, for example. ...

A printer attached to Windows report printer faulted printing
Does anybody knows how to solve this error? The output below is from a printer attached to an Windows Server root@sapunx10 # lpstat -p BAPRIP01 printer BAPRIP01 faulted printing BAPRIP01-0. enabled since Dec 28 11:03 2006. available. Windows NT LPD Server Printer BAPRIP01 Owner Status Jobname Job-Id Size Pages Priority ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- root (10.0. Waiting /etc/apache/httpd-s 1326 9402 0 1 cbpadm (10. Waiting /usr/sap/CBP/D01/da 240...

my printer will not print!
I want to buy this stuff but I'm not sure if it will work... any suggestions? www.epsonkit.com check them out... It might work? yes or no? ...

How to give print command to netwok printer and default printer togather
Hi all I have developed on desktop application in Visual Basic for Hotel Management and my client requires multiple printing options here I have multiple printers first default printer which directly connected with source PC other one is in network. The situation is when user give the print command he must be select one respective printer which is in network and secondary printer is default printer which directly connected with source PC now if he give print command, print job should be done by both printers (first Respective selected network printer and default printer) Could any one give ...

printer prints some garbage after clicking on Print....
Ever since one of my kids installed something a couple of years ago, every time I click on the "Print..." selection from the File menu in any program, my printer (it can be any printer, HP OficeJet or Brother HL1040) will feed a new page, then print a few garbage characters. This happens as the Print dialog box appears, before I do anything else. Eventually the page gets ejected, but any printing I want to do has to wait until that happens - the print dialog box works normally other than this spurt of garbage. It happens in any software, from Word to TurboTax to Neato (C...

HELP: Can printer switch box cause printers to print garbage?
Hey folks, I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't have this problem. I am ...

Printer Ink

lpstat or enq Printer Status on Remote Printers on Windows 2000 Print Server
OS: AIX 5.1 Can someone explain why either the lpstat or enq set of status commands display the following way? The pr1-pcl and pr1-ps queues are remote printers that are on a Windows 2000 print server that is running "Print Services for UNIX." Specifcally, what are the lines with the Unknown value Files field? These line are always present and never go away even when the print queue is empty. ________________________________________________________________________________ Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- --------- --- -------...

printer print out different pdf print out different
Hello! I have a strange problem which look like this.... I print out the report into the screen (in Oracle Reports (Oracle 9.0)) and then I print it out on the paper (this is: into the printer). I also print out the report into the screen and then I saves it into the pdf file. My client told me that report printed out into the pdf file is OK, but report printed out into the paper & screen (this is into printer) is NOT OK. I`ve checked and my client is right, because report printed out on the paper and screen contains different values than report printed out into the pdf ...

Printers that print on both sides of the paper
Are the Canons the only low cost printers available in the USA that will print on both sides of the paper without the user having to turn the paper over manually? Thank you in advance for all replies. -- I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong, they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous amounts of BS very, very rapidly. ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World...

Web resources about - I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the printer. Is this true? - comp.periphs.printers

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

The 3D printer carving out a new curriculum
With Australia's technical expertise slowly whittling away, the team behind this gadget wants to take schools back to the basics of manufacturing ...

ASIC investigating company after inventor of world's largest 3D printer left out of pocket
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigates the administration of a company that tried to sell the world's largest 3D printer. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
Keep up with the best gear and deals on the web by signing up for the 9to5Toys Newsletter . Also, be sure to check us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...