IBM Network Printer 17 Reset/default NIC password

Hi, I acquired an IBM Network Printer 17 (4317) from work yesterday.
It works good when I print a test page, but I can't change any of the
settings using the web interface. It asks for a user name and
password. I talked to our IT department but they don't have the
password.  I've reset the printer to default settings using the
control panel. I've also reset the NIC card using the jumpers on the
card itself, and the stupid thing is still asking me for a password. A
web search provides nothing.

Does anybody know the default password and user name for this printer?

Brad
0
bferd

On Jan 16, 7:07=A0pm, bf...@zid.com wrote:
> Hi, I acquired an IBM Network Printer 17 (4317) from work yesterday.
> It works good when I print a test page, but I can't change any of the
> settings using the web interface. It asks for a user name and
> password. I talked to our IT department but they don't have the
> password. =A0I've reset the printer to default settings using the
> control panel. I've also reset the NIC card using the jumpers on the
> card itself, and the stupid thing is still asking me for a password. A
> web search provides nothing.
>
> Does anybody know the default password and user name for this printer?
>
> Brad

The printer chassis was actually OEM'd by IBM from Xerox.  IBM
modified it to add the IPDS emulation and marketed it as the IBM
Network Printer 17.  Without the IPDS emulation, it's a Xerox
DocuPrint N17.  Take a look at the manuals for that printer at www.xerox.com=
,
and see if you can find anything there.

I'll bet you'll need to access the service/engineering submenus
(usually hidden from users, and accessible through a "special" menu
key combination) to reset the webserver in the printer.  I don't know
the codes for that offhand, but perhaps you could contact Ricoh/IBM
through their website at:

http://www.printers.ibm.com/internet/wwsites.nsf/vwwebpublished/43xxsupt_ww

Phineas
0
phineaspaine

*Solved* IBM Network Printer 17 Reset/default NIC password
Yesterday Harald from Austria sent me a .pdf file containing the 'IBM Network Printers 12, 17, 24 and InfoPrint 20, 32, 40 Ethernet and Token Ring Configuration Guide' Anyone who needs this can email me and I will forward it to them. The default login for the web interface supervisor is as follows: User name = su Password = system (Thank you Harald) Brad ...

change default printer to network printer
Guys, I need help . I am using vb5. I am try to print one report @ two different location. 1) is default and 2) is on network. I am trying to set network printer as default for second time. The program was written in win98 and it is working good. but we are try to update all the computers for XP. Thanks for help Bharat Parekh *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** You can grab my printer swtich code here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com htt...

Replacing IBM 6400 Printer With A Network Laser Printer
We are currently using a IBM 6400 printer for most of our reports. We are thinking about switching are main reports over to print on a laser printer. The question that I have is what would be the best option. Requirements Drawer 1 - 8X11 Drawer 2 = 11X17 Overlay Printing Compatible with AS/400 V5R4 On Aug 6, 10:44=A0am, bneal69 <bnea...@gmail.com> wrote: > We are currently using a IBM 6400 printer for most of our reports. =A0We > are thinking about switching are main reports over to print on a laser > printer. > > The question that I have is what would be the best opti...

Printer trays.....network printers
Still having a problem here... If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H (PCL for use lower tray), nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it uses bottom tray. I want t...

IBM Network Printer 17 (4317) "extra" part
I am a happy owner of an IBM Network Printer 17 (IBM type 4317) printer. It works well, and has absolutely no problems with it... Except that I have an "extra" part that fell out of it one day! I was not present when the part in question "fell out", so I can only guess where and how it has appeared. It is a polystyrene plastic cover, about 10.5 in long and 3 in wide. It has a latch on one side, and a couple of tabs on the other side. Imprint in the top right corner says: COVER INNER POLY STYREN VS400 E51311(M) >PS-MI< As I have said, the printer works ...

I have a Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer attached via USB to my PC. My Mac can see it and add it but it cannot load the right driver. I installed the printer on the Mac as well then re connected it to the PC hoping that after the Mac would be able to locate or display the proper Canon driver. Any idea how to get the correct driver assigned to this shared printer? Thanks, Om Mac- G4/450 w 512MB RAM 10.3.8, Canon driver 2.6.0 PC- Win2K Pro- printer shared Both machines network flawlessly together ...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers
have you looked into requesting a specific paper type instead of specifying trays? I suggest this because it's actually a much more sensible method of paper selection, which may well have superceded tray selection (other sequences have been dropped, too, but I can't recall which ones offhand). I think that's a PCL6 thing that appeared first on HP5SIMX or so, at which point tray specs were also supported. When we had a new one of those (8 or so years ago?) HP Boise denied the existence of PCL beyond 5 "we don't do it that way any more", but has later acknowle...

Only allow a printer server on network printer
How can I set up a network printer to only use a printer server from WinNT or Win2000 servers if the printer is network enabled (say an HP printer with a JetDirect card and its own IP)? Is it configurable through the JetAdmin utility? Do I have to setup a filtering firewall perhaps to the printer? TIA Patrick ...

After the default printer has been changed by code in Access 2003, the application still directs a report to the former default printer.
Could someone please help? I am using the 'defaultprt.zip' tool provided by Ken Getz to change the default printer via VBA code (code below). My problem is that once the default printer has been changed, Access 2003 still directs the report to the former default printer. Access 2003 picks up the new default printer setting only after I have reopened the application. I have checked the default printer setting in the OS control panel and the code works well. This problem also occurs when an Access 2003 application is open and one changes the default printer manually in the control panel ...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers #2
Thanks to all who responded..... I eventually did some tests trying to write to this printer with the tray selection PENV file via fcopy, and got errors back re the PENV file. I wish there had been a utility for writing these files somewhere, would make life a lot easier. Notes just say driver removes leading and trailing blanks, sends whatever is left to printer. But it errors if the rec len is not 512W, file type not PENV, if data is followed by a mix of blanks and nulls......very unfriendly. I must have missed that lesson at school. Anyway, in the end I got a PENV file that did no...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers #5
Thanks for your reply, but actually, because we have to load special paper (letterhead or prepunch) BACKWARD to make normally-sequenced (read un-windows-driver-cheated) page 2 end up on the reverse side of the paper (because the printer itself prints duplex backward in order to meet throughput specs), configing the tray does no good at all - it just lets a Windows job screw up by assuming it's supposed to do its cheat. (confusing, isn't it?!) The way we really do it is: 1) load the paper backward. from the operator's point of view, clearly wrong. 2) from the e3k f...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers #3
Thanks again. Hopefully I wont have to work on an 8000, or the 5si. We have a Xerox N17 that does duplex, but not from the 3000, and nobody complains about problems with it. The irritating thing about the PCL docos is I haven't seen two versions of tray selection parms the same - the explanations of values 2-6 are all different. On the Xerox E&l2H through E&l5H all select from lower tray. Xerox number the proper trays 1 and 2, where HP call the manual feeder Tray 1, the others 2 through n. Anyway this NPCONFIG setup definitely works for the Xerox, and SEEMS to work for HP...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers #4
To _know_ how to address printerX's trays, you have to have a manual for printerX, 'read it like a love letter' (thanks Alfredo), and experiment. You might get lucky with a similar printer (and you can bet that other vendors bent over backward trying to handle whatever might come down the 'hp PCL' pipe), but luck goes both ways. The days of early laserjets were an exciting time, with a new model on the scene every other month. So what could we expect re consistency? Maybe a little more than we got, but mostly in the form of available and accurate documentation -...

refill Dell-Printer and how to reset the printer-status
I refilled ink in my Dell 922-All-in-one-printer. the output is perfect, but the printer-driver is permanently saying the ink is finished. How can I reset this status and tell the driver the ink-cartridge is full ? The guy from the refill-center said to me Dell-printers are original Lexmark-printers and if you change the ink-cartridge in a lexmrk-printer the driver is asking you, ist the cartridge new/full or not. If you answer with yes the message not longer is coming up. But this feature I am missing in the dell-driver-software. Any ideas ? Georg ...

Web resources about - IBM Network Printer 17 Reset/default NIC password - comp.periphs.printers

One-time password - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A one-time password (OTP) is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction. OTPs avoid a number of shortcomings that are ...

Oregon To Consider Bill Blocking Employers From Demanding Applicants’ Facebook Passwords
The Oregon House of Representatives will hear a bill Friday that would prevent employers from demanding that job applicants reveal their passwords ...

Keeping Passwords Secure
The Facebook Security team has always kept a close eye on data breach announcements from other organizations. Theft of personal data like email ...

New Facebook Security Features: One-Time Passwords, Security Info
Facebook has launched two new security features to help users stay in control of their accounts. Users can now receive a one-time password from ...

Password management app Enpass goes 5.0 with new design and features
If you care about your online privacy and security which you very well should youre probably already using a password management app. In all ...

Free tool launches to evaluate privileged password management
It's easy to set rules for handling privileged account passwords, but harder to ensure that they're being followed and that they meet best practice ...

Unhackable brain scans may some day replace passwords
Security breaches affecting millions of users have come to light in recent years, yet we’re no better at protecting our personal data, or at ...

CISOs say advanced authentication methods must be used with traditional passwords
A group of leading Chief Information Security Officer’s (CISOs) say that days are numbered for the password as the sole authentication method ...

Time Warner Cable: 320,000 customer passwords possibly stolen
The cable giant wants customers, especially those with rr.com email addresses, to reset their passwords.

Ta-ta to passwords and PINs; faces and fingerprints to rule the future
Facial and fingerprint recognition technologies are expected to see accelerated growth over the next five years as security applications emerge ...