IBM Network Printer 17 Reset/default NIC password

Hi, I acquired an IBM Network Printer 17 (4317) from work yesterday.
It works good when I print a test page, but I can't change any of the
settings using the web interface. It asks for a user name and
password. I talked to our IT department but they don't have the
password.  I've reset the printer to default settings using the
control panel. I've also reset the NIC card using the jumpers on the
card itself, and the stupid thing is still asking me for a password. A
web search provides nothing.

Does anybody know the default password and user name for this printer?

Brad
0
bferd

On Jan 16, 7:07=A0pm, bf...@zid.com wrote:
> Hi, I acquired an IBM Network Printer 17 (4317) from work yesterday.
> It works good when I print a test page, but I can't change any of the
> settings using the web interface. It asks for a user name and
> password. I talked to our IT department but they don't have the
> password. =A0I've reset the printer to default settings using the
> control panel. I've also reset the NIC card using the jumpers on the
> card itself, and the stupid thing is still asking me for a password. A
> web search provides nothing.
>
> Does anybody know the default password and user name for this printer?
>
> Brad

The printer chassis was actually OEM'd by IBM from Xerox.  IBM
modified it to add the IPDS emulation and marketed it as the IBM
Network Printer 17.  Without the IPDS emulation, it's a Xerox
DocuPrint N17.  Take a look at the manuals for that printer at www.xerox.com=
,
and see if you can find anything there.

I'll bet you'll need to access the service/engineering submenus
(usually hidden from users, and accessible through a "special" menu
key combination) to reset the webserver in the printer.  I don't know
the codes for that offhand, but perhaps you could contact Ricoh/IBM
through their website at:

http://www.printers.ibm.com/internet/wwsites.nsf/vwwebpublished/43xxsupt_ww

Phineas
0