Is it necessary for both black & color cartridges to have ink with HP 1400 Printer/Scanner

I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for

one black and one color cartridge.
If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
situations of this type?

P. Jayant

All you really need to do is have a spare cart for each and then you
will not have to worry about it.

p jayant wrote:
> I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for
>
> one black and one color cartridge.
> If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
> printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
> exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
> button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
> Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
> keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
> to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
> Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
> situations of this type?
>
> P. Jayant

0
measekite
12/8/2006 2:38:28 PM
"p jayant" <p.n.jayant@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for
>
> one black and one color cartridge.
> If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
> printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
> exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
> button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
> Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
> keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
> to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
> Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
> situations of this type?

Most of the newer HP printers (with integrated cartridges) will print with
one or the other of the cartridges removed.  The printer will automatically
change modes to use the available cartridge.  See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00033152&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN.
The copy function is not available in this mode.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
12/9/2006 5:26:33 AM
Thanks for your information. Does the info apply to printing a document
and
NOT sending faxes?

I just tried for the heck of it and it did print the document. But I
want to
know whether it was just a freak occurrence. Or is it technically
feasible.

P. Jayant

> Thanks for your information. Does the info apply to printing a document
> and NOT sending faxes?
>
> I just tried for the heck of it and it did print the document. But I
> want to  know whether it was just a freak occurrence.
> Or is it technically feasible.

It is not a freak occurrence, it is by design that the printer will work
with one or the other of the two cartridges.  I do not know if this unit
will send faxes without both cartridges, some need both cartridges to send
faxes.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob

Are both color and black cartridges necessary for HP 1400 Printer Scanner?
I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for one black and one color cartridge. If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black button on the Printer for starting the print operation? Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color, keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation? Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of...

Are both color and black cartridges necessary for HP 1400 Printer Scanner? #2
I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for one black and one color cartridge. If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black button on the Printer for starting the print operation? Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color, keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation? Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of...

Printer Ink

get HP color printer print black&white if some color cartridge is used up
the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? "A" <kkadrese@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:179c645b.0503230653.20e2c086@posting.google.com... > the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until > the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome > documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? > No. It uses the color inks to make the black look '...

Any HP printer with individual colored ink cartridges?
I'm a long time HP printer user, and I'm looking at purchasing a new inkjet printer. I would like to save money by buying an inkjet that uses individual colored ink cartridges. Well, at least I think I'll save money. It seems HP does not make inkjet with individual ink cartridge for each color, is it? Also among the major printer manufacturer, like HP, Canon, Epson; it seems only HP build the print head in the ink cartridge. I have been very satisfied with HP printer, but I would like to try another brand. I have the impression HP inkjet printers are expensive to ope...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

HP Photosmart 8450 printer lost the fairly new HP Tri-Color Print Cartridge 97 cartridge...
Hello. Tonight, my very old HP Photosmart 8450 printer lost the fairly new HP Tri-Color Print Cartridge 97 cartridge (2014/08/24 Z; 1782606105249600) after I printed out a three/3 pages of B&W PDF application form after turning on the printer for a few minutes. The printer showed a blinking red print button border and its screen says "Color cartridge failed. Replace it, or ... remove it to print using ink-backup printing mode." I tried removing and reinserting the cartridge, turning off and on including unplugging its power cable, cleaning cartridge and print...

HP Laserjet 3200 (black & white) printer/fax/copier/scanner
When printing, I have just recently starting getting specks that fall into a column (a rather narrow band) on each page. The specks are quite evenly spaced out; they appear about four times on a page. I changed the toner not too long ago. On the Laserjet, there is a menu item for "clean printer". I ran this and it ran a paper through the printer slowly. Unfortunately, that wasn't successful. Any ideas what to do next? I'd appreciate some help. -Mike MY wrote: > > When printing, I have just recently starting getting specks that fall > into a col...

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

HP 855C printer
The last package of black ink I looked at shows the cart #`s for the 855. The black cart has a # but under color, a blank. Has this printer been orphaned by HP? Regards Buddy B <buddyb@yippy.ti.ye> wrote in message news:oiqekv4u93i3anbjfhun2ieg1ro19dpnqb@4ax.com... > The last package of black ink I looked at shows the cart #`s for the > 855. The black cart has a # but under color, a blank. > Has this printer been orphaned by HP? No, the DeskJet 855 printer uses the HP #41 color cartridge which is still being produced. Regards, Bob Headrick, not sp...

how to change Ink Cartridge hp 5510 printer
how to change Ink Cartridge hp 5510 printer i dont see any buttom to do so please help <yuvalbra@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157781523.618243.133470@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > how to change Ink Cartridge hp 5510 printer > i dont see any buttom to do so Is this the Officejet 5510? If so, see: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=311255&lang=en&docname=c00033420#N508. If not the Officejet please advise which model. Regards, Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging ...

HP Printers returning waste ink to cartridge
I have been told that the HP PSC 3310 & 3110 return waste ink to the cartridge. Does this happen with any other HP printers? Thanks Mike On Fri, 05 May 2006 21:56:20 GMT, MikeM <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote: >I have been told that the HP PSC 3310 & 3110 return waste ink to the >cartridge. Does this happen with any other HP printers? > >Thanks >Mike I believe some of the newer smaller cartridges, such as the 21/22 supposedly do this as well. However, since the older, bigger carts haven't been phased out, it's not much of a cost saver si...

Web resources about - Is it necessary for both black & color cartridges to have ink with HP 1400 Printer/Scanner - comp.periphs.printers

Cartridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TI-99/4A Pitfall cartridge demo - YouTube
Retrocloud's adaptation of the classic Pitfall game - for the TI-99/4A. Filip has remade the classic game, and it works in a 32K EPROM! (Sorry ...

Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges
Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges

Atari's E.T. The Extraterrestrial cartridges found in landfill
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari E.T. The Extraterrestrial game cartridges ...

Diggers find hundreds of Atari 'E.T.' and other game cartridges in New Mexico landfill - CTV News
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari "E.T." game cartridges that some call the ...

Dollar Shave Club Claims to Top Schick As No. 2 Cartridge - CMO Strategy - Advertising Age
Dollar Shave Club claims it passed Schick to become the No. 2 razor cartridge brand by volume in July, a little more than three years after the ...

Rocker Releases Album on Nintendo Gaming Cartridges
Rocker Jon Black, who performs as Fort Atlantic, decided to offer his latest album on original Nintendo cartridges. As the music industry's brick-and-mortar ...

City of Alamogordo votes to auction off 800 Atari cartridges
Megan Geuss The city of Alamogordo, NM voted late Tuesday night to auction off 800 of the 1,300 Atari cartridges that were dug up during an ...

This is why our brains lied to us about blowing into Nintendo cartridges
Before they were the basis of hip soaps or remade as even hipper clocks, Nintendo’s cartridge games were a source of delight and vexation for ...