Is printing from DOS boot disk supposed to work through LPT1 with an EPSON Color STYLUS 880 Printer?

Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
  /\___/\
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant

maybe because your DOS isn't DOS.  If you bootdisk is WinME forget it - you
can't talk to ports outside of windows.

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM
ProPrinter
> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
>   /\___/\
>  / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
>    \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
>     ( )

0
Jay
11/13/2004 3:00:23 PM
In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
writes
>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

Depends on the printer.  If yours is a Windows-only printer, it will
only print if Windows is up and running.
--
Thoss
0
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..

Most modern Printers do not support  DOS printing..

puss
11/13/2004 9:01:32 PM
In comp.periphs.printers puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
> >
> >Thank you in advance. :)

> HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..

Sheesh! No wonder.

> Most modern Printers do not support  DOS printing..

Who still supports it?
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant
11/14/2004 5:18:01 AM
In comp.periphs.printers thoss <thoss@thoss.plus.com> wrote:
> In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
> writes
> >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
> >
> Depends on the printer.  If yours is a Windows-only printer, it will
> only print if Windows is up and running.

How can you tell if it is Windows only? The 880 printer supports both
Windows and Macs.
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant
11/14/2004 5:19:06 AM
That was both Windows 98 (original) and Me disks.

--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant
11/14/2004 5:19:34 AM
> Who still supports it?

Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.

0
xevious
11/14/2004 5:56:37 AM
In comp.periphs.printers xevious <bobino69@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > Who still supports it?

> Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
> run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.

I was referring to modern printers in "Most modern Printers do not support
DOS printing." Mine isn't modern anymore. ;)
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant
11/14/2004 7:12:22 AM
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:56:37 -0500, "xevious" <bobino69@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> Who still supports it?
>
>Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
>run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.

Contact HP as they did a few years ago..

puss
11/14/2004 9:14:25 AM
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers
ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

It's unclear. See just past the middle of
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/Inkjet/sc880.htm
for "How can I print using Windows 3.x, DOS applications or from the DOS
prompt with this printer? "
Ed Ruf    Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
http://EdwardGRuf.com
0
Ed
11/14/2004 12:44:28 PM
[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
says...
> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

  If the printer is USB only, forget it.

  If it has a parallel port, it MIGHT work. I think most HP's still
support PCL natively (the 820 and 7xx series were the few that didn't.)
Some printers support only basic 10cpi courier printing without driver
support.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
11/14/2004 1:39:08 PM
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:01:32 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

>HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..
>
>Most modern Printers do not support  DOS printing..

In the sense that most printers sold are cheap inkjets, true. But
"most" midrange printers and above, especially lasers, support PCL or
perhaps Epson ESC, and will print plain text sent to them (by a DOS
PRINT or COPY command) in their default font (probably a Courier
style).
..
0
Alan
11/14/2004 1:48:30 PM
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

Look at the printer's specs, for the part which hopefully lists
"emulations". That's where it lists the printer languages the printer
knows. If none, it uses a proprietary interface, and only the
manufacturer's drivers will work, and they are often only available
for Windows.

Most standard languages, like HP's PCL and Epson's ESC, support plain
text and print it unadorned in the default font if you send a text
file to the printer.
0
Alan
11/14/2004 1:48:32 PM
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key.

The Epson Stylus Color 880 supports printing from DOS. I've tested it
up to Windows 98SE. Your command 'type filename.txt > lpt1' is
incorrect if you want to print to the printer. Your command will
create a file in the current directory. The command to print to the
printer is

type [filename] > lpt1:  or
copy [filename] prn:

0
Ototin
11/14/2004 3:53:24 PM
In comp.periphs.printers Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

> It's unclear. See just past the middle of
> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/Inkjet/sc880.htm
> for "How can I print using Windows 3.x, DOS applications or from the DOS
> prompt with this printer? "

Interesting. What does D4 do?
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant
11/14/2004 6:45:21 PM
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

The old printers tended to be more "intelligent" than the modern ones.
Back then, the printers all conformed to the standard "Epson" printing
language (not sure if it was ever officially called that).

Ever since windows95 came on the scene, manufacturers have been
simplifying the logic in the printers, moving the logic to the driver
side of things, focusing instead on the printhead technology.  Good
news, it makes it cheaper to make the printers.  Bad news, the
printers are dumb as a stump, so don't work without a driver telling
it what to do next which becomes a problem if you're not printing in
windows.  To add insult, more and more manufacturers are taking out
the DOS emulation code in their drivers, so you may not even be able
to print from a DOS window if you're using a newer printer on a newer
windows like XP.

MCheu
0
MCheu
11/14/2004 9:42:49 PM
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:53:24 -0500, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
>>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key.
>
>The Epson Stylus Color 880 supports printing from DOS. I've tested it
>up to Windows 98SE. Your command 'type filename.txt > lpt1' is
>incorrect if you want to print to the printer. Your command will
>create a file in the current directory. The command to print to the
>printer is
>
>type [filename] > lpt1:  or
>copy [filename] prn:

My Epson 740   did not print from DOS but the specs stated that it supported
DOS..

puss
11/15/2004 1:01:19 AM
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:42:49 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
>>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>>
>>Thank you in advance. :)
>
>The old printers tended to be more "intelligent" than the modern ones.
>Back then, the printers all conformed to the standard "Epson" printing
>language (not sure if it was ever officially called that).
>
>Ever since windows95 came on the scene, manufacturers have been
>simplifying the logic in the printers, moving the logic to the driver
>side of things, focusing instead on the printhead technology.  Good
>news, it makes it cheaper to make the printers.  Bad news, the
>printers are dumb as a stump, so don't work without a driver telling
>it what to do next which becomes a problem if you're not printing in
>windows.  To add insult, more and more manufacturers are taking out
>the DOS emulation code in their drivers, so you may not even be able
>to print from a DOS window if you're using a newer printer on a newer
>windows like XP.
>
>MCheu

There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

But there are some application that require DOS Drivers..

There re 2 separate DOS things,   does it print in Command line DOS,  or does
it support  DOS printing with a Driver.

My Epson 740  stated that it has DOS support, but it would not print from a
command line..

puss
11/15/2004 1:06:28 AM
ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<-M-dnc_6_KdcOgrcRVn-rA@mminternet.net>...

> Interesting. What does D4 do?

From a little digging around, I think this refers to an extension of
the IEEE 1284 spec, for parallel printer cables, called "IEEE 1284.4"
familiarly D4 (for "dot 4").
See <http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DOT4.html>
Apparently it allows separate channels, such as to communicate with
multi function (fax/print/scan) devices.
0
7ibehx001
11/15/2004 2:29:33 AM
In comp.periphs.printers Alan <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<-M-dnc_6_KdcOgrcRVn-rA@mminternet.net>...
> >
> > Interesting. What does D4 do?

> From a little digging around, I think this refers to an extension of
> the IEEE 1284 spec, for parallel printer cables, called "IEEE 1284.4"
> familiarly D4 (for "dot 4").
> See <http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DOT4.html>
> Apparently it allows separate channels, such as to communicate with
> multi function (fax/print/scan) devices.

Interesting. I wonder if this is for bidirectional, EPP, ECP, etc. I
think I forgot to try SPP (standard/original).
--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant
11/15/2004 3:05:14 AM
In article <m00gp050jfi0v5a3pphtth3se515na8m64@4ax.com>,
puss@purrpurr.com writes
>There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

That's why every DOS program had to have its own printer drivers, one
for each supported printer.
--
Thoss
0
> There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

  It depends on just what type of DOS you mean. For true DOS (no Windows
loaded), it's up to the application to send the correct codes.

  For DOS shells running under Windows, it's trickier. Some printer
drivers will trap the common printer API routines used by DOS programs
and translate to GDI.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
11/15/2004 10:38:04 PM
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:38:04 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <m00gp050jfi0v5a3pphtth3se515na8m64@4ax.com>,
>puss@purrpurr.com says...
>> There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..
>
>  It depends on just what type of DOS you mean. For true DOS (no Windows
>loaded), it's up to the application to send the correct codes.

I am referring to Command line DOS  ONLY..

Like when you redirect the DIR  to LPT1

>  For DOS shells running under Windows, it's trickier. Some printer
>drivers will trap the common printer API routines used by DOS programs
>and translate to GDI.

William
11/15/2004 11:28:37 PM
In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

NONE of the current crop of consumer level Photo printers will print without
a Windows (or Mac) printer driver.

The "print engine" is actually software installed in the operating system and
the printer is just a "dumb reciever" of print commands from the OS.

There MAY be a few printers around that can work from DOS,  But I am not
aware of any modern (less than 3 years old) ink jet that can print from DOS.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
> Who still supports it?
> --
> "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
>   /\___/\
>  / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
>    \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
>     ( )

A few Okidata (and other brands) dot matrix printers, a FEW Lazer printers.

None of them are inexpensive.

All of the lazer printers that can be had for < 400 (US) dollars use Windows
or MAC operating system for print engine.

There just isn't the demand for a printer that can do this.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
wrote:

>In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
>> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>>

>NONE of the current crop of consumer level Photo printers will print without
>a Windows (or Mac) printer driver.
>
>The "print engine" is actually software installed in the operating system and
>the printer is just a "dumb reciever" of print commands from the OS.
>
>There MAY be a few printers around that can work from DOS,  But I am not
>aware of any modern (less than 3 years old) ink jet that can print from DOS.

Not in the Case with the Epsons..

HP also support DOS..

0
William
11/20/2004 11:21:24 PM
Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c092ad99b02448b989836@news.comcast.giganews.com>...
> In article <EeednUOT3oUUdwvcRVn-jw@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
> > Who still supports it?
> > --
> > "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
> >   /\___/\
> >  / /\ /\ \                      Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> >    \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> >     ( )
> >

> A few Okidata (and other brands) dot matrix printers, a FEW Lazer printers.
>
> None of them are inexpensive.
>
> All of the lazer printers that can be had for < 400 (US) dollars use Windows
> or MAC operating system for print engine.
>
> There just isn't the demand for a printer that can do this.

Just browsing for a few minutes found the "HP LaserJet 3015
All-in-One"
(fax, scan , print) for $299, which has PCL 5e and other emulations;
which will print plain text from DOS.

Looking at Brother, the HL-1440 has PCL-4 at $150.
The HL-5140 has PCL-6 at $200.
<http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/prn_personal_list_cntr.html>

I'm sure if I looked at other brands I'd find other cheaper models.
Ink-jets, yes, you have to pay a premium.
0
7ibehx001

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

Epson printer stylus color 600 only works with Epson 440 software ?
My Epson stylus color 600 will not print with the software from my CD or Epson website. It only says printer is idle. Now with Epson stylus 440 software it will print. Any reason for this to happen. I have windows 98. Some of the older Epson drivers tended to not uninstall fully, sometimes causing corrupted drivers or remnants from drivers portions from other printers to interact with one another. In some cases, the only fix is to ask Epson for a list of all the driver parts and locations and manually go through and remove them and then reinstall. If the printer appears to be printing with its normal feature set on the 440 drivers, it may not be worthwhile changing anything. Art Charles wrote: > My Epson stylus color 600 will not print with the software from my CD > or Epson website. It only says printer is idle. Now with Epson stylus > 440 software it will print. Any reason for this to happen. I have > windows 98. ...

Epson printer stylus color 600 only works with Epson 440 software
My Epson stylus color 600 will not print with the software from my CD or Epson website. It only says printer is idle. Now with Epson stylus 440 software it will print. Any reason for this to happen. I have windows 98. ...

Printing does not work reliably under RedHat FC1 with gimp-print and Epson stylus photo 890 printer
Hi, I am running RedHat Fedora Core 1 with cups and gimp-print using an Epson stylus photo 890 printer connected via USB. When it works, it is a pleasure and a joy to work with, the equal of anything available under MS-Windoze. But when it fails, the only way to clear the problem seems to be to remove the queue from cups, shutdown the printer, cycle power on the machine, then recreate the queue. When the subsystem hangs, I can try running escputil and it, too, will hang. In fact, a kill -9 will not unhang it, I have to reboot. Frequently, when the subsystem hangs, there are two or t...

Re: Printing does not work reliably under RedHat FC1 with gimp-print and Epson stylus photo 890 printer
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 07:52:50 +0000, Jeff Silverman wrote: > Hi, I am running RedHat Fedora Core 1 with cups and gimp-print using an > Epson stylus photo 890 printer connected via USB. When it works, it is > a pleasure and a joy to work with, the equal of anything available under > MS-Windoze. Huh? Only equal!!!? That is pretty bad by Linux standards to be merely "equal," but I guess it depends on your definition of "equal." > But when it fails, the only way to clear the problem seems > to be to remove the queue from cups, shutdown the printer, cycl...

Free Epson Stylus Color 880 and 860 Printers
Free for the cost of shipping (if you are in the Pittsburgh area, we can meet someplace). The 880 has one of the color nozzles clogged, but prints black ok. The 860 is clogged on all nozzles. If you want these for parts or to try to get them fully functional, they're yours. Both have original packaging, installation software and manual. -- Tom Weiss You know they can probably be cleaned for about $25 per printer with a set of cleaning cartridges? "Tom Weiss" <af151@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:Tc9bd.2585$NX5.1396@newsread3.news.atl.earthli...

Epson Color Stylus 740 injet printer
When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this problem? I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing parts of the black pattern. Regards Brian Hi Brian Based on the model you have quoted the printer is probably well out of warranty so I suggest that you e-mail Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> and ask him for help, he will e-mail you an excellent manual that will almost certainly help. If it is under warranty then call your nearest Epson service agent or the supplier of the printer for advice. Tony Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote: >When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that >pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK. >Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this >problem? >I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing >parts of the black pattern. > >Regards Brian Did it print OK before changing the cart? Did you completely run out of ink before changing the cart? OEM or aftermarket cart? Need a little information, please. "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message news:o8co71d03rl59i3689arft0tjqsag96v33@4ax.com... > When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridg...

Any local retail stores selling ink cartridges for an old Epson Color Stylus 880 printer?
I seem to have troubles finding new ink cartridges from local retail stores for this old Epson Color Stylus 880 printer these days. I am in Los Angeles area. According to Epson's Web site, Office Max and CompUSA stores have them, but they don't appear to. Is anyone else having this problem? Thank you in advance. :) -- "Don't be no Ant-Man. An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Fo...

Epson color Printer 600 only works with Epson 440 software ?
My Epson stylus 600 will not print with the software from my CD or Epson website. It only says printer is idle. Now with Epson stylus 440 software it will print. Any reason for this to happen. What OS and what driver version do you have for the 600? "news.thelink.net" <HH2W7U33-ZB1YNZYH-CGE7PV9B-BCGXHH6V-DDWBLHFC@> wrote in message news:mlqjj09941s0f4inpgrmekor80am01ef4u@4ax.com... > My Epson stylus 600 will not print with the software from my CD or > Epson website. It only says printer is idle. Now with Epson stylus 440 > software it will print. Any reason...

epson color 880 printer
I've got some major problem with my printer...Al the leds are flashing. I have already cleaned the ink drain pads in the bottom of the printer, but the leds are still flashing. I need the code to reset the drain ink pad counter . Is there somebody who knows the button combination for it... Thanks. Frank. Vanden Bussche Francky wrote: > I've got some major problem with my printer...Al the leds are flashing. I > have already cleaned the ink drain pads in the bottom of the printer, but > the leds are still flashing. I need the code to reset the drain ink pad &...

Specific Printer/Printing Question
This is more of a "I'm puzzled why it works this way, but not that" question. For my digital images/photos, I have the Working Space as Adobe RGB. As noted above, I have an Epson Stylus Photo 925. Epson recently released an updated version of their Print Image Matching software which installs specific ICC profiles for their papers. Scenario 1: Source Space is still set to Adobe RGB. Print Space is set to, for example, StylusPhoto 925 Glossy Photo Paper (profile for this printer and their Glossy Photo Paper). Under Properties, I choose Custom/Advanced settings and ch...

Printer Head blocked in Epson Stylus C 45 printer......
I have been using Epson stylus C 43 SX and Epson stylus C45...But every now and then they get blocked heads.....Now they are not covered under warranty....?? What can I do to run them again...???Please tell me a way out...from Raj craftsofwood(at) yahoo (dotta) com..posting here will also do... Raj from India wrote: > I have been using Epson stylus C 43 SX and Epson stylus C45...But every > now and then they get blocked heads.....Now they are not covered under > warranty....?? What can I do to run them again...???Please tell me a > way out...from Raj craftsofwood(...

10.3 "EPSON Printer Utility" desn't recognize Epson Stylus Color 777
"EPSON Printer Utility" (/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/) in Panther show the printer window but the not list the USB Epson Stylus Color 777. However I was able print on this printer. For time to time I need to clean the printer nozzle. I can can do it in OS 9, but I want work in Panther. What can I do ? In article <abz-1811031618020001@192.168.1.3>, abz@videotron.ca (Alain Birtz) wrote: > "EPSON Printer Utility" (/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/) in Panther > show the printer window but the not list the USB Epson Stylus Color 777. > However I was ab...

FA: EPSON STYLUS 980 Color Printer
EPSON STYLUS 980 Color Printer. Fast and reliable workhorse printer, in great shape! Auction ends November 9th. Thanks for looking! (click or copy the link below to see).. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14303&item=3439089958 ...

Epson Stylus CX Printer Still Not Working
Hello, I purchased one of the cartridge reprogramming devices & sucessfully reprogrammed ( or reset) all 4 cartridge chips. Then figuring that since the printer has sat unused for over 8 month that the nozzles might be clogged. So I purchased a black cartridge from Cartridge World, & still the printer works, but nothing gets printed. Is there something that needs to be reset? Or does something else need to be done? Mostly I just need the black cartridge to work - Epson Stylus CX 4600. forex10@yahoo.com wrote: > Hello, > I purchased one of the cartridge reprogra...

All Lights Flashing On Epson 880 Stylus Printer
Ink Levels have not been visible for about three months which hav not been a problem and may be unrelated to the flashing lights. I changed ink cartridges and printed five full pages of address label and after that was accomplished the lights began flashing and o course the printer won't function. I do not know if this is a fatal error or can the printer b restored. I tried several things to no avail. I have had th printer for about four years and has been good to me up until now. Need advice please! :crybaby no@spam.invalid (ToothFairy) wrote: >Ink Levels have not...

Clearing print queue from Epson Stylus Color 880
I was in the middle of printing 10 pdfs when the ink ran out on my Epson Stylus Color 880. I switched the ink cartridges and resumed. However, the printer started printing gibberish. I tried clearing the print queue from the computer (Mandrake 10.0) by simply typing cancel and then the print job #. I turned the printer off and back on and every time it comes back on, it's trying to continue printing the gibberish. How do I clear from the PRINTER its print queue? Is there a way? -- [ Sugapablo ] [ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music ] [ http://www.su...

Need service manual for epson stylus color printer
Please post in PDF ...

Color laser printer prints colors much darker than screen colors
I want to be able to print the standard basic colors** exactly the same way that they appear on the screen. A specific instance of this is that cyan*** is printed as a much darker shade of blue than appears on the screen. I have found this exact same problem exists across several laser printer brands and models, and is likely an issue with all laser printers. How can I correct this problem? ** (Defined by combinations of RGB values at their maximum value of 255 and half of their maximum value of 128) . *** cyan--->Red(0), Green(255), Blue(255) Peter Olcott wrote:...

Epson Photo Stylus printers connected to print server on router
Hi All- I am trying to decide between the Epson Stylus Photo 960 and the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 printers. I was also considering the Epson Stylus Photo 1280, but I don't like the fact that it does not have the separate color cartridges. I like the fact the the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 does large format printing, but I don't know if I want to cough up the extra bucks. From what I have read, the Epson Stylus Photo 960 is a better choice if I also want to use it for text printing too. I have a Siemens 2624 wireless router with a built in print server. My old HP 660CSE perf...

Printer driver for Epson Stylus 200 'Color'?
Which of the many Epson drivers Printers provides is appropriate for this printer? There doesn't seem to be one designated for it. Trying to get an old one going, but if I'm not sending the appropriate signals ... - not much chance! Anyone using one? John -- John Williams, Brittany, Northern France - no attachments to these addresses! Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject for reliable contact! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ Somewhere nice to stay in Brittany? http://petit.four.free.fr/visitors/locate In messag...

A3 printer recommendation to replace Epson Color Stylus 3000
Hi all, I made the mistake of purchasing an Epson Stylus Color 3000 about 3 years ago which I have forever had problems with trying to print - mostly with paper handling problems. My wife is an artist (http://www.jahama.co.uk if anyone is interested) an wants to print off prints of size A3 (and ideally larger) with a very high quality. I am struggling to find a suitable replacement and having not looked at printers for around three years would appreciate it if anyone could provide any recommendations. thanks and regards Mark >Hi all, > >I made the mistake of pur...

Printing problems under RH FC2 with CUPS on Epson Photo Stylus 890 printer
When I try printing from Mozilla or with the enscript command or the lpr command to my Epson Photo Stylus 890 printer, the print out will cover anywhere from the 1st inches of the page to the first 4 inches of the page and then skip to the bottom of the page. The printer worked fine under Redhat 9.0 and Fedora Core 1, but this behavior began after I updated to FC2. Also, using the simple text editor works properly (it must bypass part of cups). Open Office also works properly. Curiously, the US postscript test page has a different failure mode: it starts too late: the top of page, everyth...

Printer driver missing from Epson Web site for Epson 2200 printers
There's no appropriate printer driver on the Epson Web site for Epson Stylus Photo printers using OS 10.4x. There are printer drivers on the page for Intel-based Macs using OS 10.4x, but my computer is a Quicksilver desktop G4, which is not Intel-based. (http://epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14402&prodoid=20306147&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh) The two following drivers appear to be the closest, but neither one is the right one. I wrote to Epson about this oversight, but I haven't heard back from it yet. Does anyon...

Web resources about - Is printing from DOS boot disk supposed to work through LPT1 with an EPSON Color STYLUS 880 Printer? - comp.periphs.printers

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

Britain's Independent will stop printing newspapers as it goes online-only
[ SMH - Text-only index ] Britain's Independent will stop printing newspapers as it goes online-only Date: February 13 2016 London: Britain's ...

The hottest trend in 3D printing: shoes on demand
Customised shoe insoles and orthotics are among the newest products to be created using 3D printing machines, and companies such as Nike and ...

Britain's Independent will stop printing newspapers as it goes online-only
The Indy will disappear from British news stands as it becomes one of the first national newspapers in the world to buckle under pressure from ...

Why is the UK still printing its laws on vellum?
After a U-turn, the UK government is to continue printing and storing its laws on vellum. Shouldn't it go digital?

Stratasys Partners with Adobe to Broaden Adoption of 3D Printing with New Color Experience and Simplified ...
Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq:SSYS), the 3D printing and additive manufacturing solutions company, today announced that it has taken color 3D printing ...

Kids can easily make their own toys with 3D printing
This year's must-have toy: a machine to make your own toy. Mattel's ThingMaker is a kid-safe 3D printer, and the 3Doodler Start Pen won't burn ...

Printing Human Tissue? Why Not?
Six years ago in Washington, DC, a State Department security SUV made an illegal left turn and struck me as I crossed the street. My tibial plateau ...

Health study reveals harmful "toxic" effects of 3D printing
A team of scientists has published a study that details the health hazards of 3D printing, which it says causes the release of toxic particles. ...

Study shows some 3D printing fumes can be harmful
If you do a lot of 3D printing and are worried about the fumes, you may want to read a new study from US and French researchers. It measured ...