Looking for a new printer that doesn't clog, used much, etc.

Hello. I think I need to replace Epson Stylus Color 880 printer because
every time I print, I get black wheel/roller marks and blobs. I tried
clean every places, but no go. It seems fine if I am only feeding paper
without printing. Maybe the printer head went bad and leaks when
printing? Oh well, I only paid about 70 bucks for it back in September
2001.

What's the best printer brand and model that doesn't clog often, easy
to maintain, etc. I also don't use the printer much as I used to do as
a student. I will print a few pages maybe once a month so the ink
catridges need to stay in shape for a longer period of time especially
during heat waves in Southern CA. I also still want to be able to print
photographs in colors on glossy papers. This will be rare as well.

The printer should work in Windows 95 to XP, Linux, and MacOS X
(10.2.8; PowerBook G4 15" 1 Ghz). Parallel support would be nice for my
old Pentium 150 MMX laptop with Windows 95 OSR2, but I doubt that
parallel support still exists these days.

Any printer sales happening in my area at Costco, Best Buy, Circuit
City, CompUSA, Office Depot, Staples, etc.? I don't want to spend a lot
of money on a new printer. It doesn't need to be the newest model
either.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
 "When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things the clearest. It's
   hard to care about ants when you're soaring with eagles." --unknown
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
   \ _ /     Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
    ( )                                                          list.
0
ANTant

Best to print a few pages - even black only text - each week to keep the
heads clear on any inkjet printer.  To varying degrees they all clog up when
unused.  Read back posts on this newsgroup for cleaning techniques and for
links to sites that have cleaning tips.  The 880 may still be alright if
cleaned properly.

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I think I need to replace Epson Stylus Color 880 printer because
> every time I print, I get black wheel/roller marks and blobs. I tried
> clean every places, but no go. It seems fine if I am only feeding paper
> without printing. Maybe the printer head went bad and leaks when
> printing? Oh well, I only paid about 70 bucks for it back in September
> 2001.
>
> What's the best printer brand and model that doesn't clog often, easy
> to maintain, etc. I also don't use the printer much as I used to do as
> a student. I will print a few pages maybe once a month so the ink
> catridges need to stay in shape for a longer period of time especially
> during heat waves in Southern CA. I also still want to be able to print
> photographs in colors on glossy papers. This will be rare as well.
>
> The printer should work in Windows 95 to XP, Linux, and MacOS X
> (10.2.8; PowerBook G4 15" 1 Ghz). Parallel support would be nice for my
> old Pentium 150 MMX laptop with Windows 95 OSR2, but I doubt that
> parallel support still exists these days.
>
> Any printer sales happening in my area at Costco, Best Buy, Circuit
> City, CompUSA, Office Depot, Staples, etc.? I don't want to spend a lot
> of money on a new printer. It doesn't need to be the newest model
> either.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
>  "When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things the clearest. It's
>    hard to care about ants when you're soaring with eagles." --unknown
>   /\___/\
>  / /\ /\ \       Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
>    \ _ /     Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
>     ( )                                                          list.

0
Burt
5/2/2004 6:45:07 AM
Hmm, after cleaning and printing without marks, the problem comes back after
a few days. I have to clean it every other day everytime I use it. :(

--
    "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had been eaten by
ants and of which nothing remained except the shell. Through the holes
 / /\ /\ \       Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
   \ _ /     Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
    ( )                                                          list.
0
ANTant

Printer sharing over wireless using Printopia
We are trying to share a printer for use by iPad users. The printer is dire= ctly connected to a Mac running Printopia. Both the Mac and all of the iPad= s are connected to the same WLAN. It's working fine at one location, but no= t at all at another location (iPads cannot see the printer). The location i= t works at has standalone APs (mostly 1131AGs). The site it does not work a= t has lightweight APs (4402 WLC running 6.0.199.4, also with 1131AGs). The = controller has multicast enabled, has multicast mode set to 'multicast', an= d has a multicast address set to 239.21.0....

Epson printer doesn't accept new ink cart
Replaced the black ink cartridge on our Epson RX500 all-in-one. The display said I still needed to replace it. After I turned the printer off and back on, the printer accepted the black cartridge. A few day later, it said we needed to replace the light cyan cart. We did and the printer still said we needed to replace it. Reseated the cartridge, no help. Cycled power, no help. These were Epson cartridges bought at Staples. What do we try now? Ron ...

new printer doesn't show up as usb 2.0
I have a new Brother laser printer, model HL-2040. It's connected to an early (sawtooth) G4 tower, with a third party (Sonnet, if I remember correctly) PCI card that provides four USB 2.0 ports. OS 10.3.9. Problem is that the printer, which claims USB 2.0 compatibility, seems to only connect in standard (max 12 mb/second) USB. (This is according to the apple system profiler.) I have an Epson scanner connected to the same ports which runs in "High-speed" USB 2.0, and is so acknowledged by the Apple profiler. I've tried various combinations of cables and ports with ...

does Canon have a printer that doesn't use a "FINE" cartridge?
Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the newer ones (Pixmas) have this "FINE" system. I don't need photo, just good color, and preferably an AIO type (one with a flatbed copier capability). Looked at an MP160, MP180, MP460.. They have this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as absolutely necessary... Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the three-colors + 1-black cartridge configuration like the i series ones? Really appreciate any help you can suggest... Thanks!! Mike ...

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

using shared deskjet 720c (win 98 se) on another computer computer (win XP) but printer isn't in list of printers
Hello. Is there another computer that could be selected from the list that comes with Windows 87 Second Edition? The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the list. I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared printer. If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list. The closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c, etc. Can I substitute a lower number? How should I proceed? Thanks! Rich Hollenbeck Oops! I know there is no Windows 87! Doh! I mean...

OVRPRTF used to send IFS pdf file to a OS/400 printer via FTP doesn't work anymore
Hi everybody, I need to send raw data from an IFS pdf file to a OS/400 printer able to print pdf files. What I did is creating a *USERASCII printer: CRTPRTF FILE(mylib/myprinterfile) DEVTYPE(*USERASCII) Then, everytime I need to print an IFS pdf file I had done the following: OVRPRTF (mylib/myprinterfile) DEV(physical printer) then, using ftp directly from FTP command or Scott Klement's FTPAPI in RPGLE programs, > namefmt 1 > bin > put /ifspath/ifspdffile.pdf /QSYS.LIB/mylib.LIB/myprinterfile.FILE It had been working fine for a couple of weeks. Then, I ha...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Can't delete printer from Printers Folder
When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This happens as soon as I click on the printer icon. I have other printers installed that work fine. But any time I change printers in a program like Word and I scroll past the bad printer I get the spool error and have to restart. Thanks, Patrick Les Moore wrote: > When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I > need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This > happens as soon as I click on the printer icon. I have other printers > installed that work fine. But any time I change printers in a program > like Word and I scroll past the bad printer I get the spool error and > have to restart. > > Thanks, > Patrick Did you try deleting it in safe mode? On 5 May 2004 08:57:59 -0700, patrick_sdc@hotmail.com (Les Moore) wrote: >When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I >need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This >happens as soon as I click on the printer icon. I have other printers >installed that work fine. But any time I change printers in a program >like Word and I scroll past the bad printer I get the spool error and >have to restart. > >Thanks, >Patrick Try Control Panel/Add/Remove Hardware. -- Hecate Hecate@newsguy.com veni, vidi, reliqui ...

pthread_create() doesn't start a new thread sometimes but doesn't return non-zero value on return.
I'm implementing TCP, and using a thread to be used as a timer, since I want to still be receiving and sending messages. The timer thread is used to re-transmit sends that get time-outed.. For example, i have a mutex_t object to hide a global variable that tells me if the current send has been received in the main thread or not. If after the timeout, the send has not been received, it calls the method again, which will re-transmit and start another time for that send, ibid et al. However, I issue the timeout() (my own function) to the pthread_create() and have a simple print...

A New Palm Treo Uses Microsoft's Software, But It Doesn't Beat 650
By WALTER S. MOSSBERG Palm's Treo smart phones have been the best high-end cellphones on the market, with the finest combination of voice, email and Web-browsing capabilities in a hand-held device. But many corporate information-technology departments have refused to buy the phone. Why? Because the Treo is powered by the Palm operating system and not by software from Microsoft, the only company whose software is supported by many IT departments. So Palm this week introduced a Treo model that uses the latest version of Microsoft's Windows Mobile software (formerly known a...

How to force 'new page' on printer file using C record IO functions from RPG
Hi, Currently I am writing a utility similar to LOG4J for RPG. I am using _Rwrite() for the printer appender to write to QSYSPRT. The problem is that I do not know how to force a new page. Does somebody know what C function to use to force a new page in a printer file (QSYSPRT)? Also it would be nice to know how to skip to a specific line without writing single blank lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thomas Raddatz. I imagine you've tried printing a form feed (FF), x'0C'? Or a vertical tab (VT) X'0B' and neither worked. I did find this link, which soun...

Printer doesn't print
I connected a new printer HP business inkjet 2300 to an old AIX 4.2.1 machine (43P-140). The printer has a postscript interpreter, so I expected that it is able to print from the AIX machine. But if I issue a print job, I see some seconds "running", and then DEV_WAIT from lpstat. What is wrong? Regards, -- Burkhard Schultheis Tele Data Electronic, Wagnerstr. 10, D-76448 Durmersheim Email: schultheis@tde-online.de Phone: +49 7245 9287-21 >I connected a new printer HP business inkjet 2300 to an old AIX 4.2.1 > machine (43P-140). The printer has a postscript interpreter, so I ...

printer doesn't spool
I have recently upgraded to Windows XP with SP2. I have a DeskJet 722c printer which requires the OS to take care of all the printing processing. The only thing this printer does is power up the carraige and ink. It does not have a chip inside it. In windows 98se it had always spooled the print jobs, but for some reason it isn't doing it anymore. I have checked off the spool print jobs so printing finishes faster and the start printing immediately box. I have also checked off print spooled documents first. The only other thing I looked at is the print processor section, but I have ...

Array#uniq
I am confused about "Array#uniq". In http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/e57b80fbcd61aaab it is described, that one has to redefine "eql?" and "hash", if one needs an own "Array#uniq" interpretation. I made tests with the result, that neither "eql?" nor "hash" is called. What went wrong here? >>>>> code >>>>> class String alias :org_hash :hash alias :org_eql? :eql? def hash puts 'String#hash called' self.hash end def eql?(other) puts 'String#...

Array#uniq
I am confused about "Array#uniq". In http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/e57b80fbcd61aaab it is described, that one has to redefine "eql?" and "hash", if one needs an own "Array#uniq" interpretation. I made tests with the result, that neither "eql?" nor "hash" is called. What went wrong here? >>>>> code >>>>> class String alias :org_hash :hash alias :org_eql? :eql? def hash puts 'String#hash called' self.org_hash end def eql?(other) puts 'String#e...

Add Printer doesn't work!
I tried to install this super nifty Bitware FAX program that somebody here recommended, but when I try to install the fax as printer, it won't work. I tried it outside the prog. too, just to see if I could get the dialog. Nada :( Am I missing some W95 file? If so, what is it? <see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote > I tried to install this super nifty Bitware FAX program that somebody here > recommended, but when I try to install the fax as printer, it won't work. A bit more detail than "it won't work", please. :) How did you insta...

Doesn't print on network printer
After install cups and remove cups, my redhat 7.3 (2.4.20) never print again. The lpq will show: Printer: pr3@dhcp212 Queue: no printable jobs in queue Server: no server active Status: job 'nick@dhcp212+631' removed at 11:32:57.687 Rank Owner/ID Class Job Files Size Time done nick@dhcp210+680 A 680 (STDIN) 191263 20:59:07 But windows machine print well. How to trace this problem? I tried to change to unix print to jetdirect, both doesn't work (it works before). ...

Rendezvous-Printer doesn't work
Hello. Suddenly my configuration doesn't work any more. Xerox Phaser 3450 DN <-- Ethernet --> Airport Base Extrem ^ O v Mac OS X 10.3.5 Without any known reason my printer does not print, but says �Printer not responding.� I've switched off and on, restart the system, the Airport Base, the printer, reinstalled MacOS 10.3.5. No way. I've delete the prin...

Printer window doesn't show up
When I print a document, the print dialog box opens and lets me specify details about the print job. After clicking Print, I see that an app for that printer starts up (don't know what you call this app). But when I click on that icon (or Cmd-Tab to it), there is no window open. I cannot open the window to see queued print jobs from within the application. I have to quit it, bring up Print Monitor, and then double-click on the printer name. Then the window opens and allows me to see and manage queued print jobs. This is true for all printers (not just one). Is this a known bug?...

Printer Calibrates but Doesn't Print
I have a HP 1210 - All-in-one Printer installed on Windows XP Pro (USB Port). All indications are that the communications are working fine between the computer and printer, I can even run the calibration. However when I try to print the test page, or anything else, the printer icon appears in the task bar for a short time and then disappears without printing anything. It also appears in the Document Print List and then disappears without printing anything. I have tried reinstalling the drivers and resetting the printer and computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Graham "Graham" <gvincent@look.ca> wrote in message news:O_SdnUQrGuV5HKHcRVn-gg@look.ca... > I have a HP 1210 - All-in-one Printer installed on Windows XP Pro (USB > Port). All indications are that the communications are working fine between > the computer and printer, I can even run the calibration. However when I > try to print the test page, or anything else, the printer icon appears in > the task bar for a short time and then disappears without printing anything. > It also appears in the Document Print List and then disappears without > printing anything. > > I have tried reinstalling the drivers and resetting the printer and > computer. > > Any suggestions would be appreciated! Sure sounds like a driver issue to me. I'd try starting in safe mode. Before you do anything drastic like reinstalling windows tr...

Printer sometimes doesn't print.
I have a user that I help out with computer issues and she states her printer randomly doesnt print. She has a DELL A920 All In One and running Windows XP Home. Here is what happens: 1) When printing - often in WordPerfect - the print job seems to be received because the Dell software print dialog status comes up. Then nothing happens. 2) If the users reboots the PC, sometimes the job prints. 3) Printer drivers have been reinstalled. 4) This is an Admin account. 5) Sometimes it prints fine in Notepad, Email, etc. This lead me to believe it was Wordperct, but a couple of times...

My printer doesn't work in OVAL
My printer is connected to Psion Workabout through RS-232. In OPL I open and initialize port "TTY:A" then simply print. Everything works properly. In OVAL i place Link control on a Form, set its propeties the same (?) as in OPL then open it. Then I use Printer object to print. I set off Remote Link in Psion and run program. The result is message "Device not available". What is wrong? Maybe someone has appriopriate code doing this or there is some example in Net. Manual for OVAL is very poor in that subject. Leo "Ja" <perasol@wp.pl> sk...

Web resources about - Looking for a new printer that doesn't clog, used much, etc. - comp.periphs.printers