Mobile Printer - Head clogging after non-use - HP 450ci or Canon i80

Several years ago I purchased a Canon portable printer (BJC-55 I
think).  I used it once happily and then put it on the shelf for six
months.  When I tried to use it again the heads had totally clogged.
I tried many things including fresh cartridges etc. and eventually
gave up and sold it (with warning) on eBay.  So...

I'd really like to have a mobile printer that I can take on vacation,
but it will sit for long periods between uses.  Does anyone have
experience or recommendations relevant to this concern on:

HP 450ci
Canon i80

Thanks
0
jem2044

<< I'd really like to have a mobile printer that I can take on vacation,
but it will sit for long periods between uses. >>

Jim-

You aren't the only one!  That is a hard problem to overcome.  Some printers
seal the printhead better when parked than others, but six months is asking a
lot.

Also, how many portable printers are there?  I have the Canon BJC-85 and
HP-340.  Both have clogging problems when left unused for very long.  I think
your BJC-55 is a smaller version of the BJC-85 that uses the same ink
cartridges.

If you only want black prints, there may be something available that uses
thermal paper, similar to paper used by modern cash registers.  The prints may
fade or turn dark over time, but at there is no ink to clog the print head.

About all that is left is to learn to unclog your print heads.  I've heard that
one good solvent is Windex (window cleaner with ammonia).

When your vacation is over, what if you removed the ink tanks (assuming Canon)
and discard them?  Then soak the print head cartridge first in windex and then
with water, and let it dry.  For your next trip use a fresh set of ink tanks,
and you are ready to print.

(Caution- I haven't tried this.  Proceed at your own risk!)

Fred

0
fmmck
6/6/2004 4:19:53 PM
I did my best with a variety of solvents when I encountered the
problem, with no luck at all.  It seems as though a machine that has
the print head as part of the cartridge would make the most sense.
Then at least all I'm doing is replacing the cartridge.

Does anyone know which (if any) machines include the print head as
part of the cartridge as do the epsons?

If there is such a machine would you store the machine with the
cartridge in or out of the machine?
0
jem2044
6/6/2004 10:54:58 PM
"Jim Mitchell" <jem2044@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I did my best with a variety of solvents when I encountered the
> problem, with no luck at all.  It seems as though a machine that has
> the print head as part of the cartridge would make the most sense.
> Then at least all I'm doing is replacing the cartridge.
>
> Does anyone know which (if any) machines include the print head as
> part of the cartridge as do the epsons?
>
> If there is such a machine would you store the machine with the
> cartridge in or out of the machine?

The HP Portables and most HP DeskJet's have the printhead built into the
cartridges.  Generally it is better to store the cartridges in the printer.
The portable DeskJet 450 has a special storage humidor to store the cartridges
during transportation.

BTW, Epson printers generally all have fixed printheads, they are not part of
the ink cartridge.

Regards,

Bob

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Mobile Printers and mobile means mobile
I am looking for suggestions on mobile, and I mean truly mobile printers something easily transportable with a laptop and airline carry on. I've looked at: Pentax PocketJet3 Series - Cost $$$ This seems to be the only 8.5" wide portable printer out there unless I've missed it. Seems that Pentax has this market to themselves hence the price. SiPix A6 - Cheap, but may not be around and may not be durable enough Brother MPrint These two and some others only print 4.0 to 4.25" wide, which is not ideal. Is there not any other products in this market that: ...

using the printer object, how do I tell what my default printer is
I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings so I'm thinking this will set the prt object to my default printer Dim prt As Printer Set prt = Application.Printers(0) but it doesn't and application.printers.count correct shows that I have eight possible printers so I could cycle through them if there was a prt property for 'default printer' but I can't find one is there a way to do this ? On Nov 9, 5:19=A0pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings > so I'm thinking this will...

Printer Ink

No printer model for Canon in Tiger Printer Setup Utility
I have successfully set up remote printing from my OS X 10.4 Tiger laptop to my Canon S750 printer connected to my Win XP home PC. I can print across the network, through the XP box and all the way to the printer - but nothing emerges. I suspect that my problem is the lack of any Canon printer models to choose from in the Printer Setup Utility on the OS X laptop. When I open the Printer Setup Utility and click on the "More Printers ..." button, I can navigate through the workgroup to the XP box and to the Shared printer without any problems. In the Printer Model pulldown, ...

change printer in report pro to non default printer
Whenever i change my printer to a not default, it will at the end print to the default. Am i missing something? oReport := RpReport{ oSELF:owner,m->reportpath+ 'labels.rpt',,{{'labels',ofile, , ,,,nil}}} oReport:Connect2Source() oprinter:= PtrDevice{oself, oReport} if !oprinter:SetPrinterByName(clabelprinter) return false endif if oprinter:ShowPrintDlg() // label printer is selected here endif ..... oReport:Print(cJobName,cPrint2Filename,cCaption,CMessage) // prints to default printer?? Thx, Geert oReport := ...

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

non-clogging inkjet printer
I am currently living in the northern US and spending about 4 months in Florida. I want to get an inkjet printer that will do an adequate job on photos and also handle general printing tasks. I do not want to carry the printer back and forth to Florida. I therefore need to find a printer that can sit idle for 6 to 8 months and not be clogged when I return to use it. Does anyone have any suggestions? BobS All inkjet printers can clog. However, in your case the answer is to buy two of the same model printer which uses the integrated head and ink cartridges. I would suggest getting two HP printers of the same type, or that at least use the same ink cartridge type. SInce the cartridge/head units come out of the printer, but will probably not do well sitting for months without use, and they are costly, I suggest removing them and taking them with you when you travel to your other residence, and then pop them into your other printer when you arrive, and continue to use them. HP used to have a little case you could buy for transporting the head and cartridge units, and maybe they still do. Once the head/cartridge units (usually one for color and one for black ink, or one color and one photo which includes black plus two other colors) is removed form the printer, there is nothing left to clog. You can just unplug the printer until you return. Lexmark uses a similar design, however, although they may be cheaper to buy, the cost of runni...

Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine
Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed, version 9.1. I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP machine. I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE) through the network with: smb://Addie in Konqueror (Note: THis requires a USername/Password). I do have CUPS installed. I tried adding the printer with the CUPS "Add Printer" method. Below is the infomation I added: <First Page> Name: Addie's Printer Location: //Addie Description: Addie's Printer <Second Page> Device: Unknown Network Device(smb) ...

Anyone using Canon i-series printers?
I think I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask just in case I missed something simple.... Anyone successfully using any of the Canon i-series of printers with linux? More specifically, is anyone using a Canon i860 printer? It appears that Canon's typically aren't well supported for linux. But after few searches, it doesn't look like anyone has even tried any of the i-series printers. Are they perhaps known under a different name? BJC, LBP, etc? Thanks for any help. -Michael I'm using Red Hat 9.0 and I chose the BJC-7004 Photo. It works well with Open Offic...

Anyone use a Canon S750 printer ??
This is a repeat appeal as I seem to be only person with a Canon S750 printer !!! Anyone out there with experience of the Canon S750 printhead ?? The 'official' replacement is Part No QY6-0041 but a local shop says that the BC-30e will fit at around half the cost. Does anyone know from experience ?? Any help much appreciated. No, The BC30e only fits the BJC6000 and S450 series. "Malcolm J Doe" <malcolm.doe@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:K_4xc.32038$wd7.21964@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > This is a repeat appeal as I seem to be only person with a Canon S750 > printer !!! > Anyone out there with experience of the Canon S750 printhead ?? The > 'official' replacement is Part No QY6-0041 but a local shop says that the > BC-30e > will fit at around half the cost. Does anyone know from experience ?? Any > help much appreciated. > > ...

What language does Canon Pixma printers use?
Many years ago, I wrote a program to print documents to my HP printer filling up the page; it adjusted the font size so the document would be inthe largest possible font. This involved calculations, and translating them into PCL language (the HP Printer Control Language) to print the document. I found my "Fullpage" program very useful over the years. Now I have bought a Canon printer and I'd like to be able to do the same thing with it. Can anyone tell me what print control language the Canon recognizes? On Nov 23, 8:56 am, Gary <gary...@hotmail.com>...

Clogged nozzle on Canon color printer
I had just posted a Q about replacing my i850. It has stopped printing black, and of course is not usable for straight text B&W output. I don't use the printer much, so maybe the ink dried and clogged nozzles? (Just heard this...I wish I had known about that). New heads cost $40+ so it doesn't seem worthwhile to fix it (new printers are cheap and come with fresh ink carts). Canon tech support advised trying 'deep clean' several times. Is there anything else I should try before giving up? I heard of people soaking the head in very hot water and then blowing it out with compressed air; outside of course. Then try the deep cleaning and see what happens. Do you use 3rd party inks? _R wrote: >I had just posted a Q about replacing my i850. It has stopped >printing black, and of course is not usable for straight text B&W >output. > >I don't use the printer much, so maybe the ink dried and clogged >nozzles? (Just heard this...I wish I had known about that). New >heads cost $40+ so it doesn't seem worthwhile to fix it (new printers >are cheap and come with fresh ink carts). > >Canon tech support advised trying 'deep clean' several times. >Is there anything else I should try before giving up? > > > > I don't know if this will apply to your printer, but I have a Canon Bubblejet BJC 80 printer, which is only used while away from home. A...

Printer sharing over wireless using Printopia
We are trying to share a printer for use by iPad users. The printer is dire= ctly connected to a Mac running Printopia. Both the Mac and all of the iPad= s are connected to the same WLAN. It's working fine at one location, but no= t at all at another location (iPads cannot see the printer). The location i= t works at has standalone APs (mostly 1131AGs). The site it does not work a= t has lightweight APs (4402 WLC running 6.0.199.4, also with 1131AGs). The = controller has multicast enabled, has multicast mode set to 'multicast', an= d has a multicast address set to 239.21.0....

"Photo" printers cheaper than "non-photo" printers?
I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers. Why? Monica "Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message news:akiee.15829$yV4.6261@okepread03... > I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most > part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers. Why? I'm doing the same because I already have an Epson 2100 for printing photos. I think the reason for this strange price difference is because they are aimed at office use rather than home use. Check the "duty cycle" figures in the specs. This is the number of pages per month the printer is designed to handle (a measure of how rugged it is). Monica wrote: >I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most >part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers. Why? >Monica > > Because they are usually business printers and made for speed with reasonable quality. The HP 1200 is one of the models out there. > > > There are a few reasons non-photo printers are more costly at original acquisition. 1) as mentioned they are usually designed for more durability, ease of use, etc, because they will be moving a LOT more paper through them. Most of the printing will be text or small gr...

Canon Pixma Printers using compatable carts
Hi Which of the Canon Pixma iP printers will take compatable carts Needs to be CD/DVD print capable I'm in the UK -- Martin ���� The word compatible is meaning less except for the fact they will physically fit. Martin ���� somewhere@in-time.invalid wrote: >Hi >Which of the Canon Pixma iP printers will take compatable carts >Needs to be CD/DVD print capable >I'm in the UK > > ...

Anyone using a Canon Pixma 5200R printer?
If so, what are your thoughts? Any downsides I should be aware of? I'm running 10.4 and have a WPA encrypted network. I'm looking to replace my Epson C80 and this seems like it might be a good'un. Specifically I need to know: does it play nicely with WPA? (A quick Google suggests it does but it pays to be safe). Thanks. Jim -- Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2 Skype: greyarea Jim wrote: > If so, what are your thoughts? Any downsides I should be aware of? I'm > running 10.4 and have a WPA encrypted network. I'm looking to replace my ...

Can I use other bluetooth adapter for canon printer.
Hi, I just recieve canon aii in one. I bought it through online with macbook pro for $100 rebate. I know, It is my mistake didn't make sure my printer not built in bluetooth. I try to buy the bluetooth adapter and turns out it's about $75. I'm paying $25 for my printer and paying $75 for adapter is kind of crazy, I found some of other manufactur's bluetooth adapter and it's cheep. so, I wander if i use other adapter can I use wireless way, or only canon adapter will work? anyone tried it? Thank you. ...

necessary to install printer driver for shared printer on computer that is not attached to printer?
We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in addition to the XP computer? best, Aaron From: <aaronep@pacbell.net> > We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We > have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP > computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is > it necessary to in...