My Canon printer is always out of colored ink and I only print B&W

I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color
cartridges to be replaced.  I am thinking of changing all of them to
black.  (last resort as I do use color rarely)

The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so
many color ones that I really can't keep up.

0
metspitzer

On Nov 18, 7:18 pm, metspitzer <kilow...@charter.net> wrote:
> I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color
> cartridges to be replaced.  I am thinking of changing all of them to
> black.  (last resort as I do use color rarely)
>
> The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so
> many color ones that I really can't keep up.

Do you mean B&W or greyscale?

Canons as a rule use the black cartridge when black is greater than
60% IIRC.  Softer greys use a mix of the color cartridges.  There is
little you can do about this.  You "could" put black in place of the
color but odds are this would muck up the printer's greys making them
darker than usual.  If you're using OEM ink, there really wouldn't be
a cost savings, at least not that I'm aware.

I'm not even aware of an aftermarket grey inkset for the Canons.

0
IntergalacticExpandi
11/19/2008 3:47:06 AM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:18:24 -0500, metspitzer <kilowatt@charter.net>
wrote:

|I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color
|cartridges to be replaced.  I am thinking of changing all of them to
|black.  (last resort as I do use color rarely)
|
|The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so
|many color ones that I really can't keep up.

On my Cannon MP160 you can set it to use just the black or just the
color cartridge.  Go into printers, right click, chose
properties/maintentance and there is an option called cartridge setting.
That way the color cartridge won't be used to try to fill in on the
greys.
0
reply
11/19/2008 4:11:02 AM
"metspitzer" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
>I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color
> cartridges to be replaced.  I am thinking of changing all of them to
> black.  (last resort as I do use color rarely)
>
> The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so
> many color ones that I really  can't keep up.

If you are printing only black text you can set the printer to plain paper
and you will only use the bci-3ebk large black cartridge.  If you set the
paper type to any other type you will use color inks plus the black bci-6
cartridge.  In addition, setting the printer to duplex mode will use a mix
of color plus black even with the plain paper selected.  All inkjet printers
automatically run cleaning utilities to keep the printhead clear of dried
ink, and this also uses color and black inks regardless of what color you
print with.  If you are printing only text you should consider refilling
your own cartridges with aftermarket inks which will cost around $1 per
cart.  With this reduced cost it won't matter that the printer uses color
ink for cleaning and mixing to make black.  You can also consider buying
prefilled aftermarket carts online, but you should only buy from vendors
that have been recommended by people on this NG or on the nifty-stuff forum.

0
Burt
11/19/2008 7:35:15 PM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:47:06 -0800 (PST), IntergalacticExpandingPanda
<intergalacticexpandingpanda@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do you mean B&W or greyscale?

I actually meant both.  I have my printer set to print in grayscale. I
thought that meant without color.

So you are saying grayscale should be off?
0
metspitzer
11/19/2008 9:47:19 PM
On Nov 19, 1:47 pm, metspitzer <kilow...@charter.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:47:06 -0800 (PST), IntergalacticExpandingPanda
>
> <intergalacticexpandingpa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Do you mean B&W or greyscale?
>
> I actually meant both.  I have my printer set to print in grayscale. I
> thought that meant without color.
>
> So you are saying grayscale should be off?

Greyscale is not black and white.  Black & white is monochrome, as in
two colors, black or white.  Greyscale is many levels of grey.  AFAIK
the printer recognizes and renders 256 levels of grey.  If the grey is
below like 60% black (153/255) color kicks in and mixes to become
greyish, though a slight color shift is not unusual.

Newer canon printers will include a grey cartridge.  Near as I'm aware
these models don't support monochrome printing.  I don't see the same
option listed for the Cannon MP160, being able to use the black
cartridge only. The only way to do this is to end a monochrome image
to the printer, but even that is troublesome.

0
IntergalacticExpandi
11/19/2008 11:35:08 PM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:18:24 -0500, metspitzer wrote:

> I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color
> cartridges to be replaced.  I am thinking of changing all of them to
> black.  (last resort as I do use color rarely)
>
> The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so
> many color ones that I really can't keep up.

Then you should use a BW laser printer.
0
measekite

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Good color/composite doc Printing AND Cost-Effective B&W Printing in ONE Printer?
Hi Folks! Is there a printer which prints GOOD QUALITY color images and composite docs AND also offers cost-effective, speedy B&W printing? I ask as I need to be able to print brochures and photos in color with GOOD quality but still need to be able to print B&W docs at economical cost and speedily. Normally, I specify a good (inkjet, usually a Canon) color printer for the color print/composite doc work and a cheap laser (ilke the Samsung 1710 or Brother HL-1440) for fast, cheap B&W printing jobs. I am wondering if these days there is now an (most likely still in...

Printing in B&W on a color laser printer
I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9420CN, running on Win XP. I'd like to be be able to print certain web pages that use colored text in black-and-white. But when I try changing the print settings, the closest I get is grayscale text. Is there any way to print those colors as pure -black-and-white? If not, does anyone know of a utility that would convert the page to b&w before sending it to the printer? thanks! "cityboy" <cityboy3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:18950c78-61bd-4357-90f8-ce7a80a1fc75@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I recently purchased...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer #2
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

Printer Ink

Fooling a Brother color printer to print in B/W?
Most (all?) Brother color printers refuse to work when it reads any color ink cartridge as empty -- even if you only want to print in b/w or grayscale. Is there any way to put in a dummy cartridge that will fool the printer into thinking that the ink is not empty, so that I can continue to print with the black ink? I have a MFC7400C, using LC04 ink. I print very rarely, and almost never in color (my wife just bought a photo-quality printer which we can use for color). But the color cartridges become unusable (dried out?) in only a few months. Ideally, I'd like to fool the s...

Extra cost of printing b/w on a color printer?
Our black-and-white laser printer (Samsung ML-1430) is on its last legs and needs replacement. We also need a copier, now that we've moved and can't use my father-in-law's anymore. We will probably make over 500 copies per month. We won't need fax. My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem to cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time we will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the higher cost of the printer itself? For ...

is samsung b&w laser printer good for printing envelopes?
I have need for a laser printer that will print 200-250 envelopes at a time. Has anyone reading this used any of the Samsung laser printers? They appear to be price competitive, but I desire to know how efficient they are for envelope printing? best, Aaron I have a Samsung ML1510 (Don't laugh) it's only an 'El Cheapo', actually I was looking for a replacement for the dreaded Epson C62 and came across this at Dabbs Computers, Bolton, UK for about �48 - and it proved to be a real work horse, I got this initially to make printed circuit boards by using '...

How to make darker the print of a Samsung ML-4500 b&w laser printer?
I have a Samsung ML-4500 b&w laser printer. The printing is okay for my notes, but not dark enough to give to someone. I've only printed 20 pages, but it's consistent, not getting any lighter or darker, so I figure it's not running out of toner. I see no method on the machine or in the manual to darken the print. I just got it used. Am I stuck? Is this what some laser printers are like? You can download a .pdf file of the User Manual for this printer for free from the internet. It is a nice 102 page document with all sorts of valuable information. Just ty...

Best black and white photo printer with no or very little color casting? Any ideas? b&w bw
EOM ...

Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons and grand kids 'art'.
Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons, letter/envelopes and grand kids 'art'. At least 30 sheets a day more or less. OS = 10.8, XP and W7. TIA "NotMe" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:jc064s$t3d$1@dont-email.me... > Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons, > letter/envelopes and grand kids 'art'. At least 30 sheets a day more or > less. > > OS = 10.8, XP and W7. > > TIA > With 30 sheets a day in B/W your best option is a laser printer, even if ...

B&W only printers
Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to get him to chill. His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc) from web pages, e-mailed statements. He is determined not to have color. So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers? --sharp text/lines --long lasting inks (7 years or more). --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute) Thanks, Alan. -- -- rec.photo.equipment.35mm user resource: -- http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a Free...

Web resources about - My Canon printer is always out of colored ink and I only print B&W - comp.periphs.printers

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

The 3D printer carving out a new curriculum
With Australia's technical expertise slowly whittling away, the team behind this gadget wants to take schools back to the basics of manufacturing ...

ASIC investigating company after inventor of world's largest 3D printer left out of pocket
... Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigates the administration of a company that tried to sell the world's largest 3D printer. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
... Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Brother Monochrome Laser Printer ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...