my Canon printer won't let me select the black ink cartridge

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with a problem I'm having
with my Canon Pixma 250 printer.

The colour cartridge has nearly run out, but the black and white
cartridge still has plenty of ink in it. As I only want to print out
some letters, I've tried selecting 'use black ink cartridge only' (or
whatever the wording is).

But then when I try to print, I get a message that looks something
like this:

"This document will print using the following cartridge:

COLOR

Your over-ride command has been disabled"

This isn't the exact wording, but it's something like it.

Why does it let me tick a box to say I'm choosing the black cartridge,
then ignore my choice like this? It's crazy.
0
David

That's not possible because black printing uses the color cartridge to make
the black 'blacker'.  It's the same with all ink jet printers.

Cari

"David" <wettondavid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with a problem I'm having
> with my Canon Pixma 250 printer.
>
> The colour cartridge has nearly run out, but the black and white
> cartridge still has plenty of ink in it. As I only want to print out
> some letters, I've tried selecting 'use black ink cartridge only' (or
> whatever the wording is).
>
> But then when I try to print, I get a message that looks something
> like this:
>

> "This document will print using the following cartridge:
>
> COLOR
>
> Your over-ride command has been disabled"
>

> This isn't the exact wording, but it's something like it.
>
> Why does it let me tick a box to say I'm choosing the black cartridge,
> then ignore my choice like this? It's crazy.

0
Cari
9/29/2010 5:00:46 PM
Cari wrote:
> That's not possible because black printing uses the color cartridge to
> make the black 'blacker'. It's the same with all ink jet printers.

My cheapo HP Deskjet D1430 can print black with or without a color
cartridge, depending on what I specify for "cartridge(s) installed."

Adam
0
Adam
9/29/2010 7:57:47 PM

    Cari> "David" <wettondavid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with a problem I'm
    >> having with my Canon Pixma 250 printer.
    >>
    >> The colour cartridge has nearly run out, but the black and white
    >> cartridge still has plenty of ink in it. As I only want to print
    >> out some letters, I've tried selecting 'use black ink cartridge
    >> only' (or whatever the wording is).
    >>
    >> But then when I try to print, I get a message that looks
    >> something like this:
    >>

    >> "This document will print using the following cartridge:
    >>
    >> COLOR
    >>
    >> Your over-ride command has been disabled"
    >>

    >> This isn't the exact wording, but it's something like it.
    >>
    >> Why does it let me tick a box to say I'm choosing the black
    >> cartridge, then ignore my choice like this? It's crazy.

    Cari> That's not possible because black printing uses the color
    Cari> cartridge to make the black 'blacker'.  It's the same with all
    Cari> ink jet printers.

It's a bit more complicated than that. You might be able to get
black-only printing with one or more of the print modes, as long as you
do not have duplex-printing options set. It is true that color is used
to make the black blacker, and it may be that the Canon firmware (onboard
the MP250) uses color inks even when the driver says to only use black,
but I can tell you the following.

With the 1.04 driver installed on Windows XP and connected to a parallel
port so that I can print to file even without the printer (I do not own
one, in fact they are not sold in Japan), the following settings use
*only* the black ink (by analysing the printjob):

- plain paper (I did not try other paper types)
- setting monochrome printing
- unsetting double-sided in case you set it before

This works for all quality levels: high, standard, and fast (sorry, the
terms may be different, on my XP they appear in Japanese).

It also works whether the type of printing is "normal" or "text" (again,
not sure what will be here in English driver interface).

So I think you should be OK with printing with black only. In my
opinion, you might have chosen some conflicting options (like
double-sided), and the driver has to make a selection based on built-in
priorities. Would you rather have it tell you: "sorry, refuse to print
double-sided" LOL. That is just an example... might be dependent on
media type too. [for double-sided, Canon reduces the amount of black
used, since it dries slowly, and puts in some color to add darkness;
that way you can print double-sided without a long wait or smudging].

Hope you manage to get that going... feel free to ask if you have some
more trouble. You might have to be more specific, and give us all the
settings, not just from memory.

Cheers,
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Pentium DualCore E2180 2GHz, Asus P5, 4GiB RAM

Printer Ink

Canon i560 printer won't print black
I have an i560 printer. It has suddenly stopped printing black. I have the service manual, but it doesn't give any circuit diagrams. Can anyone help? I looked on the internet, and a number of people have had this problem, but most of the answers tell them to replace the ink cartridge - as if that was not the first thing anyone intelligent would do! I have played around with it, and I find that if I plug it into my laptop it prints a Word text document perfectly - so the black cartidge and printhead must be O.K. When I use my RISC PC it doesn't print, so it would appear that the prin...

printer won't use black ink with this PostScript
The below PS on several printers prints as expected either black toner or CMY process black toner. However on one printer it prints only CMY process black toner. The printer can print with black toner as we have a PDF file that works but I can not share this file. Thanks! Ed %! /Helvetica findfont 36 scalefont setfont 36 140 moveto 0 0 0 1 setcmykcolor (Hello Black 0 0 0 1) show 36 172 moveto 1 1 1 0 setcmykcolor (Hello CMY Black 1 1 1 0) show % These are used in 3 color (RGB HSB) to CMYK conversion %{} dup setblackgeneration setundercolorremoval {pop 1} dup setblackgeneration setunderc...

Canon S600 printer won't print in black
Hello everyone, I've got a Canon S600 inkjet printer which was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago in which i was rearranging my computer station to another room. All that was done was that the printer was disconnected and moved temporarily. Upon re-connection, I noticed that anything I try to print in black (ie. Word document or web pages) doesn't print. Other colors including grey print fine. I've checked that all the ink cartridges are full, tried reinstalling/updating the drivers etc. but nothing. If anyone has any insight in what the problem might...

Canon i560 printer won't print black #2
My Canon i560 has suddenly stopped printing black. I've looked on the internet, and quite a few people seem to have had this happen, and the only suggestion is "change the black ink cartridge" - which is what anyone with any intelligence would do anyway! It won't print black text from Impression on my RISC PC, but when I plug the printer into my laptop with the USB it prints out "Word" documents perfectly. I suspect this is because the RISC PC prints documents as graphics, and it has stopped printing graphics. Anyway, it proves that there is no fault with the blac...

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

printer won't print black
I have an HP photosmart 7550 and I just changed the black ink cartridge and printed a calibration page and it looked fine. I went to print a Word document and the print head was moving like it is printing but the page came out blank. I changed cartridges and it happened again, so I don't think it's the cartridge (unless I happened to have 2 bad carts, but what is the chance of that?). The HP toolbox says the ink level is full. Any ideas? Thanks!! Eddie G "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote: >I have an HP photosmart 7550 and...

Printer won't print black?
Hi, I have an Epson printer. When I changed out the black cartridge this time it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly, uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have discovered this morning that it may not be the printer. I installed a different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document from yesterday. Did not print in black ink??? I printed the sa...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "hibernate hangs...ethernet disabled...no network...shutdown hangs...CD won't write...printer won't print"
"I wanted to upgrade but couldn't, for reasons not understood having to do with repository stuff. So I installed new ubuntu in dual boot with old ubuntu. Installed OK on my old e-machine. Then I decided to hibernate. Hung. Turned off power. Now the ethernet card is disabled on boot and I cannot get to network. Even if I ifconfig the card. Also, shutdown hangs like hibernate did. I have no clue how to fix this. Fortunately, old ubuntu still comes up and gets to network or I wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, cd rw won't write and printer won't print since ...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Canon printer won't recognize network
My my Canon MX882 had been connected to my network. The setup was easy after I bought my printer. It displayed the network, I entered the passcode and it work! However, I recently replaced my router and have a new access point code. Desktop, laptop, iPad and e-reader all connected. But the printer doesn't show the network! It shows all the networks in the building, my neighbor's for instance, but not my network. I tried manually entering it, but that doesn't work. I'm at a loss... any ideas? Thanks - From: "dcblogs administrator" <dcblogs@gmail.com>...

Canon Printer Won't Stalls On Graphics
The is a Multipass 2500 unit [similar to BJ 4100 engine]. I thought I solved this a few weeks ago but problem returned. Units prints characters fine. Demo page print [firmware in unit - not software] includes a graphic element which causes print head to lose its place or "skip", i.e., head parks on the right side while paper advances jerkily. This problem came clear while cleaning in the past. Most recently, I thought it was a slight misalignment of the "wiper" pad but I see no joy now. Again, prints character based pages perfectly. Graphics glitch lim...

3570 Canon Networked Printer won't print
I'm trying to setup a 3570 Canon Printer on my network. The printer and workstations are all in the same subnet. When trying to print a test page to the printer's ip address I can see that the job goes into the print queue (from a windows 2000 machine) for a second and has a job status of "printing". It then goes out of the queue as if the job completed and was sent to the printer. During this time the 3570 Canon Printer makes some noise as if the print job is going to print (for about 1 to 2 seconds) and then stops. Nothing comes out of the printer. I get no e...

Web resources about - my Canon printer won't let me select the black ink cartridge - comp.periphs.printers