aaronep

From: <aaronep@pacbell.net>

> We have two computers, one has XP  OS  and the other Win 7 OS.    We
> have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP
> computer.  In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is
> it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in
> addition to the XP computer?
> best, Aaron

Yes.  Any Print Sharing will need client computers to have their own drivers installed on
the computer using the Print Share.

Windows does have a facility to share and provide printer drivers to client computers
through a Hidden Share; Print$   One can "add additional drivers" to the shared printer to
distribute said added drivers to client computers.  However, this facility is usually for
the same OS or older.  Thus a WinXP sharing a printer such as  \\WINXP_PC\HP_all_in_one
will not be able to provide Win7 printer drivers.  They will have to be manually installed
on the Win7 computer when the Win7 computer connects to the Print Share
\\WINXP_PC\HP_all_in_one which will then request the drivers.

Of course this can be performed differently if the un-named HP all-in-one has a built in
Ethernet or if a Print Server is attached to its parallel or USB ports.  Then the un-named
HP all-in-one can be printed to by either the Win7 PC or the WinXP PC without the WinXP
being powered up just by pointing to the IP address of the printer or Print Server.

Finally, it is an un-named model HP all-in-one.  Are there Win7 drivers for it ?  Are
there Vista drivers ?
Since it is an un-named HP all-in-one, that can't be answered and thus how best to come to
a solution.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

0
David
8/30/2011 12:31:06 AM
"aaronep@pacbell.net" <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:

> We have two computers, one has XP  OS  and the other Win 7 OS.    We
> have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP
> computer.  In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is
> it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in
> addition to the XP computer?
> best, Aaron

	If 2 coputers are networking then it should be able to.

1. Both printers need to install the same driver so both have option to
select the same printer.

2. On the MAIN computer where the printer connected to, you just tell
Windows that you allowing the printer to be SHARED

	That's it!  then any computer using the same network with the printer
driver installed should be able to print either wired or wireless.
0
Joel

I have a Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer attached via USB to my PC. My Mac can see it and add it but it cannot load the right driver. I installed the printer on the Mac as well then re connected it to the PC hoping that after the Mac would be able to locate or display the proper Canon driver. Any idea how to get the correct driver assigned to this shared printer? Thanks, Om Mac- G4/450 w 512MB RAM 10.3.8, Canon driver 2.6.0 PC- Win2K Pro- printer shared Both machines network flawlessly together ...

Installed Printers
Hi, We want to make it possible for our Users to link a printer to a document type. Doing that we need to know how we can load the installed printers on the client system and how we can autoselect an printer using JavaScript Thanks in advice Jo Jo Claes wrote: > Hi, > > We want to make it possible for our Users to link a printer to a document > type. > Doing that we need to know how we can load the installed printers on the > client system and how we can autoselect an printer using JavaScript > > Thanks in advice > > Jo Client-side JavaScript does not have...

Printer drivers for new printers
I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers for them without any success. The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are connected on a windows printer/home control server. For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to. Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their official response. Is there anywhere I can find printer driv...

Printer Ink

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

Windows 98 printer shares & vista Printer shares work only until the computers are turned off
I have an HP DeskJet 812C that has been hooked up to my Windows 98SE computer for MANY years and shared with Windows XP without incident. My Windows XP machine died a few months ago, and I replaced it with a computer running Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium. I also installed Windows XP Pro under Virtual PC on the Vista computer for those time when I need to log in to the company domain via VPN. I've had no problems with the share under the virtual machine, but every time I want to print with Windows Vista, I have to reinstall the printer. Visa reports the printer is "offl...

Printer name = printer driver name ?
Hello, here's something I would like to understand. My new HP 1012 laser printer is connected to a WIN98SE PC. This PC is in a network with two WIN2000 PC's. After installing the drivers on these PC's I notice that the printer does not have the share name I assigned to it at the WIN98SE PC, but rather the name of the driver. Everything works at this moment, but... this looks strange to me. Did I do something wrong ? Any comments ? Thank you -- R-ton ...

using shared deskjet 720c (win 98 se) on another computer computer (win XP) but printer isn't in list of printers
Hello. Is there another computer that could be selected from the list that comes with Windows 87 Second Edition? The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the list. I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared printer. If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list. The closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c, etc. Can I substitute a lower number? How should I proceed? Thanks! Rich Hollenbeck Oops! I know there is no Windows 87! Doh! I mean...

HP 960 C Deskjet printer
A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old) and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I was able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and tried to install it. But the printer driver assistant "wants to close" and send error message to microsoft. I have tried several times to do this update but it fails. I tried uninstalling the software from add/remove programs but nothing happens when I try to do that. HP support had me modify the registry and remove a subfolder relating to this printer, but that also did not hel...

printer error message when install axis printer
Printer Colon File /usr/lpd/pio/predef//printer.asc not present i dont have that file too.. i have found this but cant get any hint.. http://nscp.upenn.edu/aix4.3html/aixbman/printrgd/prt_colon_file.htm thanks Can you try to overwrite install bos.rte.printers and printers.rte from the AIX install media? "yls177" <yls177@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c06e4d68.0405231928.a76e78@posting.google.com... > Printer Colon File /usr/lpd/pio/predef//printer.asc not present > > i dont have that file too.. > > i have found this but cant get any hint.. > http://...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

Web resources about - necessary to install printer driver for shared printer on computer that is not attached to printer? - comp.periphs.printers

Donald Trump to Supporters: ‘Knock the Crap Out of’ Tomato-Carrying Protesters
After someone threatened to attack Donald Trump with a tomato at an Iowa rally on Monday, the GOP presidential frontrunner told the crowd to ...

Google parent Alphabet surpasses Apple as 'world's most valuable company'
With the release of its fourth-quarter earnings report today, Google parent company Alphabet became the world's most valuable company, and kicked ...

Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.71 edges closer to the final release for older phones
Microsoft released cumulative update 10586.71 for Windows 10 Mobile beta testers on Monday, which Microsoft executives said prepares the OS for ...

UK Scientists To ‘Edit’ Human Embryos – Controversial Gene Editing To Help Understand Fertility Problems ...
UK has approved scientists to edit human embryos. The application to conduct highly controversial procedure of gene editing has been filed claiming ...

Under the Sea: Microsoft testing underwater data centers
Microsoft wants to help cloud computing centers and server rooms reach their customers more efficiently even if that means building out data ...

Virginia Tech students charged in killing of seventh grade girl make court appearance
OCRegister Virginia Tech students charged in killing of seventh grade girl make court appearance OCRegister Trooper Christopher Grzelak puts ...

Both WhatsApp and Gmail top 1 billion users
Facebook and Google both just reached a significant milestone. Google's Gmail and Facebook's WhatsApp both claim more than 1 billion monthly ...

Another Top Chef's Suicide Puts Macho Kitchen Culture Under Scrutiny
NBCNews.com Another Top Chef's Suicide Puts Macho Kitchen Culture Under Scrutiny BuzzFeed News The death of Benoît Violier in Switzerland ...

Dutch Police Are Training Eagles to Take Down Unwanted Drones
Dutch police are training eagles to take down unwanted drones . The police partnered with the company Guard From Above based in The Hague to ...

‘Game of Thrones’ star Gwendoline Christie confirms Captain Phasma role for ‘Star Wars VIII’
What does Game of Thrones and Star Wars have in common? If you thought Gwendoline Christie, then you’re right on the money. The actress plays ...