New Printer/Canon iP4000

Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will be
used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some photo
printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any inherant
issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I have to
turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking in the
docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off automatically.  I
found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were disabled.  I
enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it doesn't say but
I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on automatically when you
start a print job (like the HP)
Thanks,
Monica

0
Monica

Monica wrote:

>Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
>time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
>information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will be
>used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some photo
>printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any inherant
>issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I have to
>turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking in the
>docking station.

Totally incorrect.  I use mine on networks operating 24/7.

>Then another said their Canon turned off automatically.  I
>found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were disabled.

I never use that stuff. It really is not needed.

>enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it doesn't say but
>I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on automatically when you
>start a print job (like the HP)
>Thanks,
>Monica

0
measekite
5/9/2005 6:59:04 PM
Monica wrote:
> Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
> time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
> information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.   This printer will be
> used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.

This is a good solid choice, and I use mine similarly - graphics, text
and photos. It's great for greeting cards, CD liners, booklets, shopping
lists, borderless photos, etc. I have the next up model, the iP5000.
The only difference is higher resolution because it uses slightly
smaller ink dots, and the price, of course.

I use a combination of bulk ink and compatible cartridges. This keeps my
operating cost to very little. I do a lot of personal projects so I use
a lot of ink. With bulk and compatible inks I can afford to run two
printers much cheaper than other people operating just one with Canon
inks.

> I will do some photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.
 > Are there any inherant issues I need to know about?

None that I can caution you about. Okay, the front door doesn't seem to
catch all that great. Maybe it's just the way I close it. Some people
have experience premature printhead failure - me included, on an earlier
model (i860). But that shouldn't scare you as you can get a new
printhead from Canon, if it's under warranty, or on eBay for about $55
after that. That's what I did, the latter, and now my i860 is as good
as new.

The printer also has duplexing capability - it can print both sides
without you having to turn it over. However, it takes almost twice as
long than by flipping it yourself. If your not in a rush, fine. But
it's agonizingly slow if your sitting there watching it play with the
paper.

> Someone told me that (unlike HP) I have to
> turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking in the
> docking station.

I don't know anything about wicking because I turn off all my printers
when not in use. Always have, always will. I think it's the best policy
for electrical equipment - there's no reason it has to be on all the
time. You can make your own choice, it's your printer ;-).

> Then another said their Canon turned off automatically.  I
> found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were disabled.  I
> enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it doesn't say but
> I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on automatically when you
> start a print job (like the HP)

Yes, I have mine set on AUTO ON and AUTO OFF; I like that idea. Just
toss in the paper and print. It's easier for you, you only have one
printer, I assume. I have two so I have to select which one first. Don't
ask me how many times I've put the paper in one and set off the other
one :-). For AUTO OFF I have it set for 5 minutes. I find that is
generally long enough for me.

If you have access to Costco they excellent photo paper in their
Costco Kirkland brand, and REALLY affordable. Some think it's made
by Ilford. I don't know, and I won't lose any sleep if I never know.
One paper that doesn't seem to work at all, regardless of the settings
used, is Kodak Premium Picture Paper.

> Thanks,
> Monica

- Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
5/9/2005 8:40:54 PM

Taliesyn wrote:

> Monica wrote:
>
>> Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP
>> this time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going
>> into information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.   This
>> printer will be
>> used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.
>

> This is a good solid choice, and I use mine similarly - graphics, text
> and photos. It's great for greeting cards, CD liners, booklets, shopping
> lists, borderless photos, etc. I have the next up model, the iP5000.
> The only difference is higher resolution because it uses slightly
> smaller ink dots, and the price, of course.
>
> I use a combination of bulk ink and compatible cartridges. This keeps my
> operating cost to very little. I do a lot of personal projects so I use
> a lot of ink. With bulk and compatible inks I can afford to run two
> printers much cheaper than other people operating just one with Canon
> inks.

I use Canon inks because my print load is not excessive and I do not
want to take any Risk for a clogged printhead.  Since  you will print a
lot of text us most likely will use the pigmented black ink a great
deal.  You can get this at Costco for around $9.00.  Only if you
printload is very high will I suggest aftermarket carts and if that is
the case be very careful.  The aftermarket ink vendors do not like to
tell you what they are selling.  For the most part they are selling
noname ink under a store label.  Personally, I do not think they are
very trustworthy.

Ilford is a good choice of photo paper.  I think they make Kirkland
Glossy Photo paper for Costco packaged 125 letter sized sheets for
$18.95.  I cut mine to what ever size I need using a rotary Fiskars
paper cutter also purchased at Costco for $29.00.

>> I will do some photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.
>
> > Are there any inherant issues I need to know about?
>
> None that I can caution you about. Okay, the front door doesn't seem to
> catch all that great. Maybe it's just the way I close it. Some people
> have experience premature printhead failure - me included, on an earlier
> model (i860). But that shouldn't scare you as you can get a new
> printhead from Canon, if it's under warranty, or on eBay for about $55
> after that. That's what I did, the latter, and now my i860 is as good
> as new.
>
> The printer also has duplexing capability - it can print both sides
> without you having to turn it over. However, it takes almost twice as
> long than by flipping it yourself. If your not in a rush, fine. But
> it's agonizingly slow if your sitting there watching it play with the
> paper.
>
>> Someone told me that (unlike HP) I have to turn the printer off when
>> not in use to keep the ink from wicking in the docking station.
>

> I don't know anything about wicking because I turn off all my printers
> when not in use. Always have, always will. I think it's the best policy
> for electrical equipment - there's no reason it has to be on all the
> time. You can make your own choice, it's your printer ;-).
>
>> Then another said their Canon turned off automatically.  I found
>> "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were disabled.  I
>> enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it doesn't
>> say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on
>> automatically when you start a print job (like the HP)
>

> Yes, I have mine set on AUTO ON and AUTO OFF; I like that idea. Just
> toss in the paper and print. It's easier for you, you only have one
> printer, I assume. I have two so I have to select which one first. Don't
> ask me how many times I've put the paper in one and set off the other
> one :-). For AUTO OFF I have it set for 5 minutes. I find that is
> generally long enough for me.
>
> If you have access to Costco they excellent photo paper in their
> Costco Kirkland brand, and REALLY affordable. Some think it's made
> by Ilford. I don't know, and I won't lose any sleep if I never know.
> One paper that doesn't seem to work at all, regardless of the settings
> used, is Kodak Premium Picture Paper.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Monica
>

> - Taliesyn
0
measekite
5/9/2005 8:56:26 PM
The only absolute no-no with these Canon models is you never leave an ink
tank out of the cradle for more than a couple minutes. Leaving it out is a
sure clog.

"Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
> Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
> time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
> information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will
be
> used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some
photo
> printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any inherant
> issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I have to
> turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking in the
> docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off automatically.
> found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were disabled.  I
> enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it doesn't say but
> I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on automatically when
you
> start a print job (like the HP)
> Thanks,
> Monica

0
Dan
5/9/2005 9:23:49 PM
Like Taliesyn I also use non-canon inks very successfully.  No clogs, no
problems.  If you are interested in more information about inks click the
reply to sender button, take out nospam, and I will email you back some
references.  If you go through the posts in this newsgroup you will see many
references to this issue, some rather acrimonious exchanges, and I would
rather avoid a repeat of those responses.

About the paper issue.  The Costco paper is outstanding with your printer (I
use a canon I960 six color printer) and it is my choice for general printing
of photos.  For greeting cards, however, you can not print or write on the
back of this paper. Read my post of 5/8/2005 replying to Pavel Dvorak about
my choices of paper for greeting cards.   That is just a few threads down
from yours on this newsgroup.  If you are thinking about printing greeting
cards to sell you must remember that your printer ink is dye based and not
waterproof.  I do lots of year end greeting cards and cards for other
holidays just for our own use.

"Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
> Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
> time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
> information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will
> be used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some
> photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any
> inherant issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I
> have to turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking
> in the docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off
> automatically.  I found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were
> disabled.  I enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it
> doesn't say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on
> automatically when you start a print job (like the HP)
> Thanks,
> Monica

0
Burt
5/10/2005 2:37:36 AM

Burt wrote:

>Like Taliesyn I also use non-canon inks very successfully.  No clogs, no
>problems.  If you are interested in more information about inks click the
>reply to sender button, take out nospam, and I will email you back some
>references.  If you go through the posts in this newsgroup you will see many
>references to this issue, some rather acrimonious exchanges, and I would
>rather avoid a repeat of those responses.
>
>About the paper issue.  The Costco paper is outstanding with your printer (I
>use a canon I960 six color printer) and it is my choice for general printing
>of photos.  For greeting cards, however, you can not print or write on the
>back of this paper. Read my post of 5/8/2005 replying to Pavel Dvorak about
>my choices of paper for greeting cards.   That is just a few threads down
>from yours on this newsgroup.  If you are thinking about printing greeting
>cards to sell you must remember that your printer ink is dye based and not
>waterproof.  I do lots of year end greeting cards and cards for other
>holidays just for our own use.
>
>"Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
>

>>Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
>>time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
>>information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will
>>be used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some
>>photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any
>>inherant issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I
>>have to turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking
>>in the docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off
>>automatically.  I found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were
>>disabled.  I enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it
>>doesn't say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on
>>automatically when you start a print job (like the HP)
>>Thanks,
>>Monica

If you need to waterproof  your Canon OEM inks you can get a can of
Krylon Spray in either matt or glossy finish at any Art Supply store.  I
personally do not like it but it does work and you photos are water
resistant.  Aaron Bros carries another brand of similar spray but I have
not tried it.

0
measekite
5/10/2005 3:49:49 AM
I'll just chime in and echo whats already been said. The iP4000 is an
excellent printer. I have one and of the several Canon printers I own it's
my favorite. The s820 and i950 being the other two photo printers I have.
The auto power off/on feature is exactly that. It works and nothing else is
required. Get a good brand of aftermarket ink for refilling and your costs
will be so low that you won't even think about printing page after page
(other than paper cost). I used to send out a pdf file describing how easy
it is to refill a Canon cartridge. Unfortunately, last Friday, the main hard
drive on my system went bad and all the data on the drive was lost. My
alternate drive had some backup copies, but my DTP files were lost and that
included the refilling pdf.

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Like Taliesyn I also use non-canon inks very successfully.  No clogs, no
> problems.  If you are interested in more information about inks click the
> reply to sender button, take out nospam, and I will email you back some
> references.  If you go through the posts in this newsgroup you will see
> many references to this issue, some rather acrimonious exchanges, and I
> would rather avoid a repeat of those responses.
>
> About the paper issue.  The Costco paper is outstanding with your printer
> (I use a canon I960 six color printer) and it is my choice for general
> printing of photos.  For greeting cards, however, you can not print or
> write on the back of this paper. Read my post of 5/8/2005 replying to
> Pavel Dvorak about my choices of paper for greeting cards.   That is just
> a few threads down from yours on this newsgroup.  If you are thinking
> about printing greeting cards to sell you must remember that your printer
> ink is dye based and not waterproof.  I do lots of year end greeting cards
> and cards for other holidays just for our own use.
>
> "Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
>> Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
>> time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
>> information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will
>> be used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some
>> photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any
>> inherant issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I
>> have to turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking
>> in the docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off
>> automatically.  I found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both
>> were disabled.  I enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And
>> it doesn't say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on
>> automatically when you start a print job (like the HP)
>> Thanks,
>> Monica

0
Ron
5/10/2005 4:03:16 AM
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:_7Qfe.528$Y81.121
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Monica wrote:
>>
>>> Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP
>>> this time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going
>>> into information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.   This
>>> printer will be
>>> used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.
>>

>> This is a good solid choice, and I use mine similarly - graphics,
text
>> and photos. It's great for greeting cards, CD liners, booklets,
shopping
>> lists, borderless photos, etc. I have the next up model, the iP5000.
>> The only difference is higher resolution because it uses slightly
>> smaller ink dots, and the price, of course.
>>
>> I use a combination of bulk ink and compatible cartridges. This keeps
my
>> operating cost to very little. I do a lot of personal projects so I
use
>> a lot of ink. With bulk and compatible inks I can afford to run two
>> printers much cheaper than other people operating just one with Canon
>> inks.
>
> I use Canon inks because my print load is not excessive and I do not
> want to take any Risk for a clogged printhead.  Since  you will print
> lot of text us most likely will use the pigmented black ink a great
> deal.  You can get this at Costco for around $9.00.

More deceiving information by Measekite, as usual.  You cannot go into
Costco and buy just one cartridge at $9.00!  You have to buy 3 of the
same color at $31. Multiply by 5 cartridge types needed for her printer
and her bill is about $165 (with tax) before she walks out the store.

For that same amount of cash she can go on eBay and buy 10 TIMES that
amount of quality Formulabs ink filled cartridges.  Formulabs filled
cartridges are every bit as good and safe as Canon ones.
0
AA
5/10/2005 4:06:45 AM

Ron Cohen wrote:

>I'll just chime in and echo whats already been said. The iP4000 is an
>excellent printer. I have one and of the several Canon printers I own it's
>my favorite. The s820 and i950 being the other two photo printers I have.
>The auto power off/on feature is exactly that. It works and nothing else is
>required. Get a good brand of aftermarket ink for refilling

but unless your print load is high it is not worth the hassle or risk.

>and your costs
>will be so low that you won't even think about printing page after page
>(other than paper cost). I used to send out a pdf file describing how easy
>it is to refill a Canon cartridge. Unfortunately, last Friday, the main hard
>drive on my system went bad and all the data on the drive was lost. My
>alternate drive had some backup copies, but my DTP files were lost and that
>included the refilling pdf.

If one understands Murphy's Law you will run to your favorite software
store and purchase Dantz Retrospect.  Then set it so it backs your stuff
up every night to another hard disk.  And on super critical stuff you
can off load to DVD.  Retrospect was originally designed for the Apple
and finally made it to Windows.  It is by far the best backup software
there is however you do have to put some effort into learning and
understanding it.

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>

>>Like Taliesyn I also use non-canon inks very successfully.  No clogs, no
>>problems.  If you are interested in more information about inks click the
>>reply to sender button, take out nospam, and I will email you back some
>>references.  If you go through the posts in this newsgroup you will see
>>many references to this issue, some rather acrimonious exchanges, and I
>>would rather avoid a repeat of those responses.
>>
>>About the paper issue.  The Costco paper is outstanding with your printer
>>(I use a canon I960 six color printer) and it is my choice for general
>>printing of photos.  For greeting cards, however, you can not print or
>>write on the back of this paper. Read my post of 5/8/2005 replying to
>>Pavel Dvorak about my choices of paper for greeting cards.   That is just
>>a few threads down from yours on this newsgroup.  If you are thinking
>>about printing greeting cards to sell you must remember that your printer
>>ink is dye based and not waterproof.  I do lots of year end greeting cards
>>and cards for other holidays just for our own use.
>>
>>"Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
>>>time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
>>>information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will
>>>be used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some
>>>photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any
>>>inherant issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I
>>>have to turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking
>>>in the docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off
>>>automatically.  I found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both
>>>were disabled.  I enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And
>>>it doesn't say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on
>>>automatically when you start a print job (like the HP)
>>>Thanks,
>>>Monica

0
measekite
5/10/2005 4:50:11 AM

AA Battery wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:_7Qfe.528$Y81.121
>@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>Taliesyn wrote:

>>>This is a good solid choice, and I use mine similarly - graphics,
>>>

>text
>

>>>and photos. It's great for greeting cards, CD liners, booklets,
>>>

>shopping
>

>>>lists, borderless photos, etc. I have the next up model, the iP5000.
>>>The only difference is higher resolution because it uses slightly
>>>smaller ink dots, and the price, of course.
>>>
>>>I use a combination of bulk ink and compatible cartridges. This keeps
>>>

>my
>

>>>operating cost to very little. I do a lot of personal projects so I
>>>

>use
>

>>>a lot of ink. With bulk and compatible inks I can afford to run two
>>>printers much cheaper than other people operating just one with Canon
>>>inks.
>>>

>>I use Canon inks because my print load is not excessive and I do not
>>want to take any Risk for a clogged printhead.  Since  you will print

>>lot of text us most likely will use the pigmented black ink a great
>>deal.  You can get this at Costco for around $9.00.
>>

>More deceiving information by Measekite, as usual.  You cannot go into
>Costco and buy just one cartridge at $9.00!  You have to buy 3 of the
>same color at $31.

Yes but most of us have grown up and can afford $31.00.

>Multiply by 5 cartridge types needed for her printer
>and her bill is about $165 (with tax) before she walks out the store.

That is bullshit.  The first time you will need a tripack for about
$27.00.  Maybe a few months later you may need a dye black or a
pigmented black.

In the 8 months I have owned my IP4000 I have replaced the 3 colors
once.  I do admit that much of my text printing is done on my HP990 so
if I used the Canon for everything I probably would have replaced my
pigmented black once and I would have 3 left.  IN that case I would have
bought a quad pack for $40.00.

>For that same amount of cash she can go on eBay

eBay is a pain in the ass and so is refilling carts.  Maybe you like to
tinker but others like to do their work.  Now if her print load was very
high like yours then I would suggest investigating Formulabs ink that is
prefilled into no name carts.  To save the extra couple of dollars over
that and put up with the pain of refilling yourself I do not think is
worth it unless you are usually broke.

>and buy 10 TIMES that
>amount of quality Formulabs ink filled cartridges.  Formulabs filled
>cartridges are every bit as good and safe as Canon ones.

Maybe and maybe not.
0
measekite
5/10/2005 4:57:43 AM
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:bbXfe.767$3%4.472
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> AA Battery wrote:
>
>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:_7Qfe.528$Y81.121
>>@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>>

>>More deceiving information by Measekite, as usual.  You cannot go into
>>Costco and buy just one cartridge at $9.00!  You have to buy 3 of the
>>same color at $31.
>>

> Yes but most of us have grown up and can afford $31.00.

What happened to the $9.00 cartridge you told us we could get at Costco.

>>Multiply by 5 cartridge types needed for her printer
>>and her bill is about $165 (with tax) before she walks out the store.
>>

> That is bullshit.

You're bullshitting, not me. Read your goddam post!!!  You said you
could get a cartridge at Costco for about $9.00. Sure, only if you pay
$31 plus tax to get 3!  That's a whole different story, buddy.
Tell her the truth. You have to buy 3 in order to get one.

> The first time you will need a tripack for about
> $27.00.  Maybe a few months later you may need a dye black or a
> pigmented black.
>
> In the 8 months I have owned my IP4000 I have replaced the 3 colors
> once.  I do admit that much of my text printing is done on my HP990 so
> if I used the Canon for everything I probably would have replaced my
> pigmented black once and I would have 3 left.  IN that case I would
> have bought a quad pack for $40.00.
>

>>For that same amount of cash she can go on eBay
>>

> eBay is a pain in the ass and so is refilling carts.

I know eBay is hard for you.  But to most of us it's easier than apple
pie - click "buy", click "pay".  3 days later you have your ink.  Real
complicated, ain't it. You don't have to fill cartridges, most people
buy compatibles. Either way, refilling is safe, clean and easy if you
have half a brain.  Takes only a few minutes. You spend hours typing
nonsense in this NG all day. In that time you could have filled 20 years
of ink cartridges for yourself.  That would be about 3 sets :-).

> I do not think is worth it unless you are usually broke.

Compatible cartridges are no more a broke person's tool than the
compatible Kirkland paper you bought at Costco.  They're both
intelligent ways for us to avoid paying ripoff OEM prices and have
nothing to do with either of us being broke.

AA
0
AA
5/10/2005 5:45:33 AM
I would invite you to look back at a few weeks of posts to see the kind of
comments one individual has repeatedly made in trying to scare people away
from third party inks and their vendors. He has never done business with
them or used their products.  You have seen posts to your questions from
Taliesyn, Ron Cohen, AA, and me.  We use these products and have had
excellent experience with the vendors and their products.  Email me directly
by clicking Reply to Sender and take out nospam from my email address.  If
you are interested I will send you some additional information.

"Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
> Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
> time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
> information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will
> be used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some
> photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any
> inherant issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I
> have to turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking
> in the docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off
> automatically.  I found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were
> disabled.  I enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it
> doesn't say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on
> automatically when you start a print job (like the HP)
> Thanks,
> Monica

0
Burt
5/10/2005 5:53:48 AM
Thanks for all the information/opinions.  I NEVER used 3rd party ink in my
HPs but I'm considering it now.  A friend gets her ink here
http://www.databazaar.com/ and uses the "new compatible" ink.  Is anyone
familiar with their ink?
Thanks,
Monica
>I would invite you to look back at a few weeks of posts to see the kind of

0
Nikki
5/10/2005 8:23:51 AM

AA Battery wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:bbXfe.767$3%4.472
>@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>AA Battery wrote:
>>

>>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:_7Qfe.528$Y81.121
>>>@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>>>

>>>More deceiving information by Measekite, as usual.  You cannot go into
>>>Costco and buy just one cartridge at $9.00!  You have to buy 3 of the
>>>same color at $31.
>>>

>>Yes but most of us have grown up and can afford $31.00.
>>

>What happened to the $9.00 cartridge you told us we could get at Costco.

Don't the teach math at your school?

>>>Multiply by 5 cartridge types needed for her printer
>>>and her bill is about $165 (with tax) before she walks out the store.
>>>

>>That is bullshit.
>>

>You're bullshitting, not me. Read your goddam post!!!  You said you
>could get a cartridge at Costco for about $9.00. Sure, only if you pay
>$31 plus tax to get 3!  That's a whole different story, buddy.
>Tell her the truth. You have to buy 3 in order to get one.

AADummy cannot do math.

>>The first time you will need a tripack for about
>>$27.00.  Maybe a few months later you may need a dye black or a
>>pigmented black.
>>
>>In the 8 months I have owned my IP4000 I have replaced the 3 colors
>>once.  I do admit that much of my text printing is done on my HP990 so
>>if I used the Canon for everything I probably would have replaced my
>>pigmented black once and I would have 3 left.  IN that case I would
>>have bought a quad pack for $40.00.
>>

>>>For that same amount of cash she can go on eBay
>>>

>>eBay is a pain in the ass and so is refilling carts.
>>

>I know eBay is hard for you.  But to most of us it's easier than apple
>pie - click "buy", click "pay".  3 days later you have your ink.  Real
>complicated, ain't it. You don't have to fill cartridges, most people
>buy compatibles.

Compatibles vary at being compatible.

>Either way, refilling is safe,
>

>clean

Sureeeeeee

> and easy if you
>have half a brain.

And I am conviced you do.

>Takes only a few minutes. You spend hours typing
>nonsense in this NG all day. In that time you could have filled 20 years
>of ink cartridges for yourself.  That would be about 3 sets :-).
>

>>I do not think is worth it unless you are usually broke.
>>

>Compatible cartridges are no more a broke person's tool than the
>compatible Kirkland paper you bought at Costco.

Kirland paper is not compatible.  It is just paper.

>They're both
>intelligent ways for us to avoid paying ripoff OEM prices

I have always said that ink prices are ripoff.

>and have
>nothing to do with either of us being broke.
>
>AA

0
measekite
5/10/2005 2:50:58 PM

Burt wrote:

>I would invite you to look back at a few weeks of posts to see the kind of
>comments one individual has repeatedly made in trying to
>

>scare people away

Boo

>from

some

>third party inks and

a few of

>their vendors.
>

>He has never done business with
>them or used their products.

I have never owned a Yugo but I do know it was crap.

>You have seen posts to your questions from
>Taliesyn, Ron Cohen, AA, and me.

Members of the Aftermarket club.

>We use these products and have had
>excellent experience with the vendors and their products.  Email me directly
>by clicking Reply to Sender and take out nospam from my email address.  If
>you are interested I will send you some additional information.
>
>"Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
>

>>Broke with tradition AND sense.  Bought somethine other than an  HP this
>>time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into
>>information overload :o  Brought home a Canon iP4000.  This printer will
>>be used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text.  I will do some
>>photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper.  Are there any
>>inherant issues I need to know about?  Someone told me that (unlike HP) I
>>have to turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking
>>in the docking station.  Then another said their Canon turned off
>>automatically.  I found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab.  Both were
>>disabled.  I enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes.  OK?  And it
>>doesn't say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on
>>automatically when you start a print job (like the HP)
>>Thanks,
>>Monica

0
measekite
5/10/2005 2:53:37 PM

Nikki wrote:

>Thanks for all the information/opinions.  I NEVER used 3rd party ink in my
>HPs but I'm considering it now.  A friend gets her ink here
>http://www.databazaar.com/ and uses the "new compatible" ink.  Is anyone
>familiar with their ink?
>Thanks,
>Monica

Databazaar is a good and reputable Vendor.  But be careful that you
spell their site address correct.  http://www.databazzar.com/ is
attempting to hijack their customers and change them to some of the
hawkers the Aftermarket club recommends.  Not these particular members
but some of their friends.  Goto this site and look at the links and you
will learn some of what you need to stay away from.

That said, their prices on original Canon carts is somewhat more than
Costco but depending where you live you may save the tax but you do have
shipping to consider.  As for compatibles, they do not say who the
mfg/formulator BRAND is and they are only $2.00 cheaper per cart over
Canon at Costco . The choice is yours.  Call them up and see what real
BRAND they are selling.  Then caclulate estimated usage for a year.
Remember that when printing text you will use the pigmented black ink
and that cartridge is much largeer than the others in the IP4000.  Once
you estimate the cost of both Canon and Label X you alone can decide if
that is worth it.

http://www.databazaar.com/ is a good and reputable company and a fine supplier for your needs.

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>

>>I would invite you to look back at a few weeks of posts to see the kind of

0
measekite
5/10/2005 3:07:30 PM
I am not acquainted with that firm and have not used HP inkjets.  If your
friend has been using their HP compatables for some time, has no problem
with her printer as a result, and finds the colors to be accurate, they
would appear to be a good choice.

"Nikki" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the information/opinions.  I NEVER used 3rd party ink in my
> HPs but I'm considering it now.  A friend gets her ink here
> http://www.databazaar.com/ and uses the "new compatible" ink.  Is anyone
> familiar with their ink?
> Thanks,
> Monica
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>I would invite you to look back at a few weeks of posts to see the kind of

0
Burt
5/10/2005 3:17:22 PM
I hear they are reputable.

Burt wrote:

>I am not acquainted with that firm and have not used HP inkjets.  If your
>friend has been using their HP compatables for some time, has no problem
>with her printer as a result, and finds the colors to be accurate, they
>would appear to be a good choice.
>
>"Nikki" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
>

>>Thanks for all the information/opinions.  I NEVER used 3rd party ink in my
>>HPs but I'm considering it now.  A friend gets her ink here
>>http://www.databazaar.com/ and uses the "new compatible" ink.  Is anyone
>>familiar with their ink?
>>Thanks,
>>Monica
>>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>

>>>I would invite you to look back at a few weeks of posts to see the kind of

0
measekite
5/10/2005 3:30:07 PM
Why does your response have to be so hostile?

You have no idea if the person wishes to refill or not.  He is simply
indicating that it is an option that can save money.  You really need to
consider than not everyone will think the way you do and that they have
a right to do that.

This isn't some type of criminality, it's a choice, like tea or coffee.

Art

measekite wrote:

> eBay is a pain in the ass and so is refilling carts.  Maybe you like to
> tinker but others like to do their work.  Now if her print load was very
> high like yours then I would suggest investigating Formulabs ink that is
> prefilled into no name carts.  To save the extra couple of dollars over
> that and put up with the pain of refilling yourself I do not think is
> worth it unless you are usually broke.
>
>> and buy 10 TIMES that
>> amount of quality Formulabs ink filled cartridges.  Formulabs filled
>> cartridges are every bit as good and safe as Canon ones.
>>

> Maybe and maybe not.
0
Arthur

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Printer drivers for new printers
I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers for them without any success. The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are connected on a windows printer/home control server. For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to. Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their official response. Is there anywhere I can find printer driv...

printer supplies or new printer
I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter feeding a Canon BJC210. I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 I need either ink cartidges for the printer, or a new printer that turbo will recognise. Any suggestion? (PS - sorry I use a Windows for internet and everything else.) "Letmesnapu2" <alan.r.archer@btinternet.com> wrote: > I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter > feeding a Canon BJC210. > > I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 > > I need either ink cartidges for ...

New Canon iPF 5000 photo printer better than Epson K-3 printers??
Hi all. I just came across this very favorable review of a new Canon photo printer with 12 (yes, twelve) ink carts. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/canon-ipf5000.shtml. The reviewer is very positive on this printer and sees it as a strong competitor to the Epson 4800. What do you all think? Check out the cost of cartridges! Oh, the review didn't speak about a capability to print on CDs. :) Joe Average ...

HP printer vs. Canon printer

New Canon Printers
I noticed Canon Japan web site http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/ has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their 1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd, as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..? Davy wrote: >I noticed Canon Japan web site >http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/ >has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a >IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their >1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd, >as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer >high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..? > > My concern is that they may clog but I have not heard of that happening so it is anyones guess. measekite wrote: >=20 >=20 > Davy wrote: >=20 >> I noticed Canon Japan web site http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip410= 0/ >> has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a= >> IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their >> 1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd, >> as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer >> high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..? >> =2...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD ...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

My new new printer
X-No-Archive Hi group, Just thought I would post a little update. The store took back my HP PhotoSmart 8050 and gave me a HP PhotoSmart 8250 as they didn't have any 8050s in stock. I had to pay the price difference, but that was OK. I really hope nothing goes wrong with this one! Best, Christine ...

Printer Ink

Printer Server for Canon ip4000
Hi, I have tried connecting a Canon ip4000 (not R version) to a Hawking HPS1U printer server. It does not work, and Canon refuse to recommend a printer server. Does anybody know a printer server that does work with the ip4000? thanks, ...

No printer model for Canon in Tiger Printer Setup Utility
I have successfully set up remote printing from my OS X 10.4 Tiger laptop to my Canon S750 printer connected to my Win XP home PC. I can print across the network, through the XP box and all the way to the printer - but nothing emerges. I suspect that my problem is the lack of any Canon printer models to choose from in the Printer Setup Utility on the OS X laptop. When I open the Printer Setup Utility and click on the "More Printers ..." button, I can navigate through the workgroup to the XP box and to the Shared printer without any problems. In the Printer Model pulldown, ...

new Canon printers
Hi all, how do you feel about the new Canon printers, e.g. comparing the current i560 and its successor iP3000? Two paper slots, cd printing, higher weight - everything sounds better than the current model!? How about the new print head in 'FINE': Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering? Will it offer better or worse quality? How about refilled ink? How about refilling itself? I suppose it's too early for practical experiences, since the models will ship from August on - but maybe there are some early test reviews? Kind regards Martin Didn&#...

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

When Does Canon Announce New Printers?
Anyone know when Canon might announce a newer version of the MP780 all-in-one? Included fax software, legal size scanning, full color LCD, and memory card slots might be nice. Are you listening Canon? Coming in October, but no fax function. Too bad. Sounds really nice, but I need on-board fax capability. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=123&modelid=11996 "Ann Meffert" <annmef1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:PoIPe.137357$5N3.62347@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Anyone know when Canon might announce a newer version of the MP780 > all-in-one? Included fax software, legal size scanning, full color LCD, > and memory card slots might be nice. Are you listening Canon? > Worry not. Canon constantly repackages the its same generation printing technology in new boxes. Its called marketing and Canon leads all other manufacturers in repackaging as new and improved the same old technology printers. "birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:DWQPe.9014$A%1.1245@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > > Canon constantly repackages the its same generation printing technology in > new boxes. > Its called marketing and Canon leads all other manufacturers in > repackaging as new and improved the same old technology printers. I noticed Canon frequently 'recycles' previous year model by adding an on...

New CANON Printers for old Acorns
9th December 2005 NEW CANON PRINTERS FOR OLD ACORNS ================================= Castle announces today a that they have a small quantity of the Canon IP4000 high speed colour bubble jet printers available for sale. ...

Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer
X-No-Archive My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley (rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible "repair shop" problem.) Before I bring this to a shop and spend probably the amount I paid for it brand-new, is there a way of fi...

New Canon IP 4700 Printer Question
I just purchased a Canon IP 4700 printer and so far, am happy with its operation. The only area of concern is as follows: Rather frequently, I can hear the printer going thru some type of operation. I suspect it has something to do with cleaning of the printer head. If so, is this where the computer is periodically cleaning the printer head nozzles? Does this cause extra use of ink, and if so, is there a way to minimize this operation? I have a neighbor who leaves his printer on all of the time so as to minimize the cleaning of the printer head. I wonder if this is a vali...

Web resources about - New Printer/Canon iP4000 - comp.periphs.printers

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can you really get a solid all-in-one printer, copier and scanner for just $90?
... Deals team's advice. And in this case, we're going to help you upgrade to the Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, ...

Engineering students invented a 'pancake printer' that takes breakfast to the next level
It's Pancake Day! And what better way to celebrate than with the modern marvel that is this machine that will create pancakes in any shape you ...

How 3D printers are changing plastic surgery
The new technology is allowing patients to see a preview of their new faces before going under the knife