New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports - Will it work?

I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4
year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports.  Will a new printer with a
USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop?  I heard it will - but will be
slower than designed to be.  I am planning on getting another HP
OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!).

Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable?  Is there a difference between
USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?).

Thanks!
Paula

0
pokee

On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote:

>I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4
>year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports.  Will a new printer with a
>USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop?  I heard it will - but will be
>slower than designed to be.  I am planning on getting another HP
>OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!).
>
>Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable?  Is there a difference between
>USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?).
>
>Thanks!
>Paula

Really, the only reason that the printer would run USB 2.0 is if it's
one of the printers with a digital camera card reader built in. The
print function itself really doesn't benefit unless the printer has a
huge amount of memory, otherwise it has to spool the document on the
computer anyway.

USB 2.0 cables supposedly have better shielding than 1.1. Don't go to
Office Depot or Best Buy, their markup is between 5 - 15x markup. I
used to sell them for $10 and still made over 50% profit on them
without the benefit of getting massive wholesale discounts. You can
get them on eBay these days /with/ shipping for less than at most
stores. At the very least, try Wal-Mart.

--

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
0
info
8/1/2006 12:37:30 AM
pokee@shaw.ca wrote:
> I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4
> year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports.  Will a new printer with a
> USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop?  I heard it will - but will be
> slower than designed to be.  I am planning on getting another HP
> OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!).
>
> Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable?  Is there a difference between
> USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?).
>
> Thanks!
> Paula

USB cables and ports are backward compatible, i.e,
they work regardless of designation.  I noticed a
speed up when I changed from a 1.1 to a 2.0 card
in my machine using an HP 970 (1.1 USB).  I would
suspect that a new 2.0 USB printer will print
slower with a  1.1 connection that with a 2.0
connection.  Won't make any difference to you
since you won't know how fast it prints with a 2.0
computer connection.  But your new printer will
probably be slower than what the manufacturer
says, even if you had a 2.0 connections.

Essentially all cords are the same and some of
those labeled 1.1 are really 2.0, and probably
vice versa.  A 6 foot cord should cost less than $2.
Here's a place you can buy one and not even pay
shipping:
> http://www.pcmicrostore.com/Topsellers.aspx

Look at the item about 10 down
> PCMS 6FT USB 2.0 A TO B CABLE
> SKU: CABLE-USB2-6-AB

Note that they also have 10 foot and 15 foot cables.
I bought a new Canon and expected it to have a
cable, which it didn't, so I ordered from this
place and had it in 3 days.  Cheapest locally were
about $7 and many were $10.  Good luck!
0
George
8/1/2006 4:02:42 AM
Although USB 2.0 has a potentially much faster throughput to USB 1.1,
the difference in printer data flow may be minimal, because there are
other bottlenecks in the data speed such as the speed at which the
printer can print. Yes, most USB 2.0 peripherals will work with USB 1.1,
but possibly much more slowly.

Don't expect the same lifespan with a new printer that you received from
your seven year old one, they aren't designed or built as ruggedly.

Yes, the cable connections didn't really change, however, the spec for
USB 2.0 is more demanding, and some USB 1.1 cable might lose data at the
speed used for USB 2.0.  You can buy USB 2.0 cables in the "dollar
store" for literally about one dollar that are designated USB 2.0 data
transfer, and so far they work, and they come with a 5 year warranty ;-)
  Cheaper to buy a new one than to ship it to the company for a warranty
repair, however.

Art

pokee@shaw.ca wrote:

> I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4
> year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports.  Will a new printer with a
> USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop?  I heard it will - but will be
> slower than designed to be.  I am planning on getting another HP
> OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!).
>
> Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable?  Is there a difference between
> USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?).
>
> Thanks!
> Paula

0
Arthur

USB 2.0 printers and USB 1.0/1.1 computers
I need a new printer, being fed up with the POS Epson 740 I have now. I was considering an HP LaserJet 1012, but noticed it has a USB 2.0 port only. I've got a Rev B iMac with USB 1.0 or maybe (but I doubt it) USB 1.1. I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know. Thanks! > I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 >peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since >you all are a well-infor...

USB 1.1 cable on 2.0 printer?
Hello. Just ordered a Canon i560 printer; the specs say it has a USB 2.0 interface. I have some USB 1.1 cables floating around; can I use them on the 2.0 interface? Any signal integrity issues? Thanks! If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me. Do not add me to any MicroSoft address book; I do not want your viruses. I track and report spam; do not send me junk mail. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound boards can be obtained ...

USB 2.0 Device compatible to USB 1.1 port?
Dear all, I'm interested in purchasing a new scanner, but my computer does not have the newer USB 2.0 ports in the back, only the 1.1 ports. Can I safely hook up a scanner that has USB 2.0 output? Thanks! "Bogrod" <bo130@excite.com> wrote in message news:452bc0dc.0312090809.60f1cfdd@posting.google.com... > Dear all, > > I'm interested in purchasing a new scanner, but my computer does > not have the newer USB 2.0 ports in the back, only the 1.1 ports. Can > I safely hook up a scanner that has USB 2.0 output? Thanks! Yes, th...

USB Port on HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer... Only USB 1.1?
Hello. I have a HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer. I used its USB port, on the bottom left of the printer, to connect USB 2.0 Flash Sticks/Drives/... It seems to access files very slow. It feels like USB 1.1 speed. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be 2.0 speed? Is there a way to check? I was not able to find this information in my printer manual and on HP's Web site. I tried disconnecting the printer from the computer motherboard's USB port WITH its 2'(?) USB extension cord (printer is on my bookshelf and not close enough to the computer) and connecting the same USB s...

move ZFS mountpoint from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 port
I created a mountpoint called /tdusb1 on a USB 1.1 port conncted to a 1TB LaCie hard drive. I discoverd that our system has a USB 2.0 port and want to move the logical mountpoint to a new physical USB port. How do I do it? Actually, I will need to do the same sort of thing from one Solaris 10 system to another in the future. I don't care about plug-and-play and hot swappable as long as I can read the same drive from different Sun systems. I assume that there are ZFS related commands for doing this but don't want to experiment too much as the USB hard drive already has valuable stuff ...

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
Dear all, Could I use a win32 function to get the USB port is suport USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? I want to write a program to access the USB devices and show them is in the USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. Could everyone help me to find the function call? Or where I can find any relative information? Thanks. ---Ted Hi, Well, removable ms-dos devices such as USBs can be accessed through the \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive#. Call the API QueryDosDevice(), and get a list of all existing MS-DOS device names. You can also use the function DefineDosDevice() to define the device name as well. That said, whe...

USB 2 printer and a USB 1 computer
Hi, I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2 interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause problems ? Ton -- Computer museum tonh: http://www.tonh.net GGGallery website generator: http://www.tonh.net/gggallery - Added a PDP 8 On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:31:36 +0200, "Ton den Hartog" <tonh@xs4all.nl> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2 >interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause >problems ? > Most USB 2 devi...

USB Ports ... 1.1 and 2.0
The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1 ports... Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port? No special cables or adaptors? http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml In article <1182049257.788291.257950@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote: > The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1 > ports... > Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port? > No special cables or adaptors? > > http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml Yes, it just won't run as...

Question: USB 1.1 vs. USB 2.0
I know that USB 2.0 is much faster than USB 1.1, but I'm wondering if there is a way to distinguish between the cables for the two. The connectors can look identical; is there some other way of determining if the cable I have is 1.1. or 2.0? Or is there a difference? Thanks for your help. On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:16:46 -0500, Preacher wrote (in article <1i2f31u.1icj5no1utlq1cN%nono@way.com>): > I know that USB 2.0 is much faster than USB 1.1, but I'm wondering if > there is a way to distinguish between the cables for the two. The > connectors can look identica...

USB 2.0 device assigned as USB 1.1
I am using RH7.3 (sort of a need so upgrading may be an issue) I have a USB 2.0 PCI card which gets recognized properly. When I plug in a USB 2.0 scanner, the scanner falls back to a USB 1.1 on the card. I cant seem to find anything regarding how to resolve this. I found a similar post (below) - but it was inconclusive. Any suggestions? (other than upgrade) Thanks cgmckeever cat /proc/bus/usb/devices ########### here is the 2.0 entry ################## T: Bus=03 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 5 B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hu...

usb error on external disc ?? hub 1-0:1.0:Cannot enable port 2
Hi, I want connext an external drive STOREX FHD-353 on my Linux 2.6.9-34 WhiteBox I have following error message "hub 1-0:1.0:Cannot enable port 2. Maybe the USB cable is bad. " Do you have an idea ? Regards Philippe My computer is an K7AMD, with motherboard Micro star 6167 . I think computer could onlly work un USB1.0 not USB 2.0. External Hard drive is running before with another PC that use XP .. ...

USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers in same PC?
I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows XP SP1. I am curious about the USB controllers reported in Device Manager. I see 5 controllers, which appear like this: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD Can this be right? Do I really have 4 USB 1.1 controllers and only one USB 2.0 controller? If, as I suspect, this doesn't make...

Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1
I have two generic 4-port USB hubs that are supposed to be USB 2.0 compliant. The older one is fine, works as advertised. Meanwhile the newer one sometimes shows up under the USB 2.0 root hub (i.e. "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"), or usually it shows up under the slower "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" (USB 1.1). My motherboard (Asus M2NPV-VM) USB ports are all USB 2.0 compliant, and they individually auto-detect whether they need to switch down to USB 1.1 speeds. I'm using a Microsoft tool called UVCView under Windows XP to display the det...

laptop usb 1.1 + scanner usb 2.0 + modem ADSL = ?????!!!!!*****
I have a laptop with a single USB 1.1 port. My new scanner (Epson 3170 usb 2.0) works fine with it and so does my ADSL modem but both can't work together. I have tried to make them "cooperate" with a Sitecom Usb pocket hub which needs an external power adapter and of course it doesn't work without it; do you think it would work if I had one? Or is there any other possibility (Pcmcia/usb card for example)? Thank you for your future wise advice. Good chance powered hub will work, but not guaranteed. Is your modem USB only? If ethernet also, as one more option, y...

Compatibilit� USB 2.0 et USB 1.1 avec W2K ?
Bonjour Je rencontre un PB avec l'une de mes cl�s USB qui est USB 2.0 et qui bug lorsque je la connacte sur un hub USB 1.1 : je la "vois" sur le PC mais je ne peux y transf�rer quoique ce soit, malgr� l'installation des drivers sp�cifiques. Ayant constat� qu'avec XP, chaque fois que l'on connecte un p�riph�rique USB 2.0 sur un port 1.1 XP signale qu'il peux y avoir des porbl�mes, je vous drais savoir si cela existe aussi avec W2K. Merci d'avance Sorry Pegasus Mail is NOT USB 1.x or 2.0 compliant. Dave ;-) <John.Viel@caramail.rem...

Web resources about - New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports - Will it work? - comp.periphs.printers

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

The 3D printer carving out a new curriculum
With Australia's technical expertise slowly whittling away, the team behind this gadget wants to take schools back to the basics of manufacturing ...

ASIC investigating company after inventor of world's largest 3D printer left out of pocket
... Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigates the administration of a company that tried to sell the world's largest 3D printer. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
... Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Brother Monochrome Laser Printer ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...