Printer won't print any colors!

Canon i850, WinXP, USB.

Don't know what's going on here.  Printer worked normally a week or 2 ago
when I last used it.  But now it will only print black--no colors.  I've
uninstalled/reinstalled it.  Updated driver to latest.  Cleaned print head
by removing it from printer and also from Maintenance tab.  Any more ideas?

First of all what happens when you do a  nozzle test print from th
printers maintenance Window....are there any colours showing on th
test strip..

Dav

0
no
4/24/2006 6:34:35 PM
"Davy" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
> First of all what happens when you do a  nozzle test print from the
> printers maintenance Window....are there any colours showing on the
> test strip..?
>
> Davy

Hi thanks for replying.  That's what I've been printing for testing
purposes.  No colors show up at all; only the black boxes/grid.  At this
point I'm thinking it's a hardware problem.  :(

"J" <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Davy" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> First of all what happens when you do a  nozzle test print from the
>> printers maintenance Window....are there any colours showing on the
>> test strip..?
>>
>> Davy
>
>Hi thanks for replying.  That's what I've been printing for testing
>purposes.  No colors show up at all; only the black boxes/grid.  At this
>point I'm thinking it's a hardware problem.  :(

Based on this information I am convinced that your printhead has failed, sorry
for the bad news.
Tony
0
Tony
4/25/2006 6:50:13 AM
Think I'll agree with Tony on that one...

I would have expected at least a streak or hint of colour in the tes
strip, whether a manual clean or indeed a cleaning cartridge wil
work or not is a gamble

Probably the nozzles have clogged, the ink dried and then the nozzle
burne
out, because of lack of ink coolent,  that my theory

Whether taking them out applying a manual clean or using a cleanin
cartridge will work gives me doubt, but you never know

Dav

0
no
4/25/2006 9:32:47 AM
> Think I'll agree with Tony on that one...
>
> I would have expected at least a streak or hint of colour in the test
> strip, whether a manual clean or indeed a cleaning cartridge will
> work or not is a gamble.
>
> Probably the nozzles have clogged, the ink dried and then the nozzles
> burned
> out, because of lack of ink coolent,  that my theory.
>
> Whether taking them out applying a manual clean or using a cleaning
> cartridge will work gives me doubt, but you never know.
>
> Davy

Yes I already took the head out and did cleaning as Canon told me to do.  No
effect.

This problem did happen soon after replacing all the color ink
tanks--genuine Canon ink tho.  But it printed many pages/pictures with no
problem.  Then suddenly...

Anyway I hope a new head won't be 2 much.  Thanks again kind sirs.  :)

Don't know which part of the globe you are   but here's a Cano
distributer, could always E-mail them...
http://www.electroversal.com/  clicking on the red box in the link
they'er based in the U

Dav

0
no
4/25/2006 2:33:24 PM
I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY CANON IP4000 AND CANON INK.  I NEVER USE
GENERIC CLOGGING INK.

J wrote:

>"Davy" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>Think I'll agree with Tony on that one...
>>
>>I would have expected at least a streak or hint of colour in the test
>>strip, whether a manual clean or indeed a cleaning cartridge will
>>work or not is a gamble.
>>
>>Probably the nozzles have clogged, the ink dried and then the nozzles
>>burned
>>out, because of lack of ink coolent,  that my theory.
>>
>>Whether taking them out applying a manual clean or using a cleaning
>>cartridge will work gives me doubt, but you never know.
>>
>>Davy
>>

>Yes I already took the head out and did cleaning as Canon told me to do.  No
>effect.
>
>This problem did happen soon after replacing all the color ink
>tanks--genuine Canon ink tho.  But it printed many pages/pictures with no
>problem.  Then suddenly...
>
>Anyway I hope a new head won't be 2 much.  Thanks again kind sirs.  :)

0
measekite
4/26/2006 3:55:36 PM
J wrote:
> "Davy" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Think I'll agree with Tony on that one...
>>
>>I would have expected at least a streak or hint of colour in the test
>>strip, whether a manual clean or indeed a cleaning cartridge will
>>work or not is a gamble.
>>
>>Probably the nozzles have clogged, the ink dried and then the nozzles
>>burned
>>out, because of lack of ink coolent,  that my theory.
>>
>>Whether taking them out applying a manual clean or using a cleaning
>>cartridge will work gives me doubt, but you never know.
>>
>>Davy
>

> Yes I already took the head out and did cleaning as Canon told me to do.  No
> effect.
>
> This problem did happen soon after replacing all the color ink
> tanks--genuine Canon ink tho.  But it printed many pages/pictures with no
> problem.  Then suddenly...

You have the luck of the draw. These printers can fail with any kind of
ink - Canon's own or compatible. Yours failed with Canon. My printhead
failed after less than a couple of months with compatible ink. I
replaced the printer (feed failed) & the printhead (printhead failed).
The new printhead was still working, 14 months later, with compatible
inks. Two other printers using compatible inks couldn't be happier.
So we know it's not the ink, it's the finicky, delicate printheads that
can go at any time. Some last, some don't.

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
4/26/2006 4:13:26 PM
GENERIC INK CAUSES MORE PROBLEMS THAN OEM INK.  JUST READ PCWORLD

Taliesyn wrote:

> J wrote:
>
>> "Davy" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>> Think I'll agree with Tony on that one...
>>>
>>> I would have expected at least a streak or hint of colour in the test
>>> strip, whether a manual clean or indeed a cleaning cartridge will
>>> work or not is a gamble.
>>>
>>> Probably the nozzles have clogged, the ink dried and then the nozzles
>>> burned
>>> out, because of lack of ink coolent,  that my theory.
>>>
>>> Whether taking them out applying a manual clean or using a cleaning
>>> cartridge will work gives me doubt, but you never know.
>>>
>>> Davy
>>

>> Yes I already took the head out and did cleaning as Canon told me to
>> do.  No effect.
>>
>> This problem did happen soon after replacing all the color ink
>> tanks--genuine Canon ink tho.  But it printed many pages/pictures
>> with no problem.  Then suddenly...
>>

> You have the luck of the draw. These printers can fail with any kind of
> ink - Canon's own or compatible. Yours failed with Canon. My printhead
> failed after less than a couple of months with compatible ink. I
> replaced the printer (feed failed) & the printhead (printhead failed).
> The new printhead was still working, 14 months later, with compatible
> inks. Two other printers using compatible inks couldn't be happier.
> So we know it's not the ink, it's the finicky, delicate printheads that
> can go at any time. Some last, some don't.
>
> -Taliesyn
0
measekite
4/26/2006 4:34:03 PM
Sounds a bit obvious - I'm sure you've checked - but maybe worth having
another look at the printing preferences.  There's usually one in there
which instructs the printer to print colours in grey scales.

Funny things computers - one day my scanner stopped working for no specific
reason - the next it was working - weird.

"J" <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Canon i850, WinXP, USB.
>
> Don't know what's going on here.  Printer worked normally a week or 2 ago
> when I last used it.  But now it will only print black--no colors.  I've
> uninstalled/reinstalled it.  Updated driver to latest.  Cleaned print head
> by removing it from printer and also from Maintenance tab.  Any more
> ideas?

0
Chris