Printer won't print black?

Hi,
I have an Epson printer.  When I changed out the black cartridge this time
it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new
cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly,
uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have
discovered this morning that it may not be the printer.  I installed a
different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the
software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document
from yesterday.  Did not print in black ink???   I printed the same document
in red!! Result - must be the computer.  What's wrong with my computer
settings??  Yesterday I thought I checked everything that could possibly
have turned black off - only found items on the printer properties and page
setup windows -  could someone please advise me with a list of where to
look??

Thanks super very much,

Frustratedly
Barbara

0
Ralph

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:02:02 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Ralph
Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an Epson printer.  When I changed out the black cartridge this time
>it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new
>cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly,
>uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have
>discovered this morning that it may not be the printer.  I installed a
>different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the
>software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document
>from yesterday.  Did not print in black ink???   I printed the same document
>in red!! Result - must be the computer.  What's wrong with my computer
>settings??  Yesterday I thought I checked everything that could possibly
>have turned black off - only found items on the printer properties and page
>setup windows -  could someone please advise me with a list of where to
>look??

It would help to know what you are printing and specifically from what
application.
0
Ed
12/8/2005 4:41:17 PM
It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've tried
Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and some
for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the printers.
It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
directions, which I have done several times over the past two years, nothing
different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
black.
Sorry, frustrated,
Barbara
P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a
program so I can change the color.

Ralph Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an Epson printer.  When I changed out the black cartridge this time
> it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new
> cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly,
> uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have
> discovered this morning that it may not be the printer.  I installed a
> different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the
> software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document
> from yesterday.  Did not print in black ink???   I printed the same document
> in red!! Result - must be the computer.  What's wrong with my computer
> settings??  Yesterday I thought I checked everything that could possibly
> have turned black off - only found items on the printer properties and page
> setup windows -  could someone please advise me with a list of where to
> look??
>
> Thanks super very much,
>
> Frustratedly
> Barbara

Interesting problem. Since you indicated you have the same problem with
two different printers, I'd try a different printer cable and a
different USB port (if you're on USB) perhaps.

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
12/8/2005 6:38:28 PM
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:17 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:

>It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
>(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
>readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've tried
>Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
>automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and some
>for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
>The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the printers.
>It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
>haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
>printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
>was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
>directions, which I have done several times over the past two years, nothing
>different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
>black.
>Sorry, frustrated,
>Barbara
>P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a

As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.
0
Ed
12/9/2005 12:01:11 PM
One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.

I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any suggestions
how to do it??

This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer - no
black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my laptop
printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black printing.  I
connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it possible I picked up a
virus that can be passed on to my other computers thru the printers??  That
is now the only scenario I can rationalize.   Help!
Barbara
> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:17 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
> Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:
>
>>It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
>>(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
>>readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've
>>tried
>>Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
>>automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and
>>some
>>for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
>>The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the
>>printers.
>>It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
>>haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
>>printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
>>was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
>>directions, which I have done several times over the past two years,
>>nothing
>>different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
>>black.
>>Sorry, frustrated,
>>Barbara
>>P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a
>
> As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
> computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
> the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
> internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:35:43 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:

>One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.
>
>I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
>printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any suggestions
>how to do it??
>
>This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer - no
>black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my laptop
>printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black printing.  I
>connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it possible I picked up a
>virus that can be passed on to my other computers thru the printers??  That
>is now the only scenario I can rationalize.   Help!
 Definitely need to try a different cable and make sure it's seated
properly in the printer. What Epson  model is it?

0
Ed
12/9/2005 4:29:28 PM

I know of no virus that causes printers not to print black.

However, there may be some coincidence going on here.

What Epson printer is it?  Are the cartridge Epson brand or 3rd party.
or refill?  Do you use the same refill company for all the printers by
any chance?

If you tell me the model of the Epson I may be able to dig up the
procedure for getting a test page from it.  Have you tried running the
test print page that Windows provides?  It may be this document has a
tag in the header that is causing problems.

Art

R&B Thomas wrote:

> One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.
>
> I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
> printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any suggestions
> how to do it??
>
> This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer - no
> black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my laptop
> printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black printing.  I
> connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it possible I picked up a
> virus that can be passed on to my other computers thru the printers??  That
> is now the only scenario I can rationalize.   Help!
> Barbara
> "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:17 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
>>Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:
>>

>>>It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
>>>(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
>>>readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've
>>>tried
>>>Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
>>>automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and
>>>some
>>>for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
>>>The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the
>>>printers.
>>>It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
>>>haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
>>>printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
>>>was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
>>>directions, which I have done several times over the past two years,
>>>nothing
>>>different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
>>>black.
>>>Sorry, frustrated,
>>>Barbara
>>>P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a
>>
>>As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
>>computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
>>the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
>>internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.

0
Arthur
12/9/2005 4:34:11 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I know of no virus that causes printers not to print black.
>
> However, there may be some coincidence going on here.
>
> What Epson printer is it?  Are the cartridge Epson brand or 3rd party.
> or refill?  Do you use the same refill company for all the printers by
> any chance?

IF THE GUY BOUGHT GENUINE EPSON INK CARTS HE WOULD NOT HAVE A PROBLEM

> If you tell me the model of the Epson I may be able to dig up the
> procedure for getting a test page from it.  Have you tried running the
> test print page that Windows provides?  It may be this document has a
> tag in the header that is causing problems.
>
> Art
>
> R&B Thomas wrote:
>
>> One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.
>>
>> I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
>> printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any
>> suggestions how to do it??
>>
>> This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer -
>> no black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my
>> laptop printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black
>> printing.  I connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it
>> possible I picked up a virus that can be passed on to my other
>> computers thru the printers??  That is now the only scenario I can
>> rationalize.   Help!
>> Barbara
>> "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
>>> computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
>>> the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
>>> internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.

0
measekite