Printer won't print black?

Hi,
I have an Epson printer.  When I changed out the black cartridge this time
it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new
cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly,
uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have
discovered this morning that it may not be the printer.  I installed a
different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the
software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document
from yesterday.  Did not print in black ink???   I printed the same document
in red!! Result - must be the computer.  What's wrong with my computer
settings??  Yesterday I thought I checked everything that could possibly
have turned black off - only found items on the printer properties and page
setup windows -  could someone please advise me with a list of where to
look??

Thanks super very much,

Frustratedly
Barbara

0
Ralph

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:02:02 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Ralph
Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an Epson printer.  When I changed out the black cartridge this time
>it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new
>cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly,
>uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have
>discovered this morning that it may not be the printer.  I installed a
>different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the
>software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document
>from yesterday.  Did not print in black ink???   I printed the same document
>in red!! Result - must be the computer.  What's wrong with my computer
>settings??  Yesterday I thought I checked everything that could possibly
>have turned black off - only found items on the printer properties and page
>setup windows -  could someone please advise me with a list of where to
>look??

It would help to know what you are printing and specifically from what
application.
0
Ed
12/8/2005 4:41:17 PM
It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've tried
Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and some
for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the printers.
It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
directions, which I have done several times over the past two years, nothing
different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
black.
Sorry, frustrated,
Barbara
P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a
program so I can change the color.

Ralph Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an Epson printer.  When I changed out the black cartridge this time
> it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new
> cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly,
> uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have
> discovered this morning that it may not be the printer.  I installed a
> different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the
> software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document
> from yesterday.  Did not print in black ink???   I printed the same document
> in red!! Result - must be the computer.  What's wrong with my computer
> settings??  Yesterday I thought I checked everything that could possibly
> have turned black off - only found items on the printer properties and page
> setup windows -  could someone please advise me with a list of where to
> look??
>
> Thanks super very much,
>
> Frustratedly
> Barbara

Interesting problem. Since you indicated you have the same problem with
two different printers, I'd try a different printer cable and a
different USB port (if you're on USB) perhaps.

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
12/8/2005 6:38:28 PM
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:17 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:

>It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
>(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
>readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've tried
>Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
>automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and some
>for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
>The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the printers.
>It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
>haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
>printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
>was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
>directions, which I have done several times over the past two years, nothing
>different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
>black.
>Sorry, frustrated,
>Barbara
>P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a

As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.
0
Ed
12/9/2005 12:01:11 PM
One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.

I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any suggestions
how to do it??

This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer - no
black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my laptop
printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black printing.  I
connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it possible I picked up a
virus that can be passed on to my other computers thru the printers??  That
is now the only scenario I can rationalize.   Help!
Barbara
> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:17 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
> Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:
>
>>It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
>>(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
>>readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've
>>tried
>>Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
>>automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and
>>some
>>for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
>>The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the
>>printers.
>>It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
>>haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
>>printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
>>was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
>>directions, which I have done several times over the past two years,
>>nothing
>>different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
>>black.
>>Sorry, frustrated,
>>Barbara
>>P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a
>
> As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
> computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
> the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
> internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:35:43 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:

>One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.
>
>I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
>printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any suggestions
>how to do it??
>
>This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer - no
>black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my laptop
>printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black printing.  I
>connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it possible I picked up a
>virus that can be passed on to my other computers thru the printers??  That
>is now the only scenario I can rationalize.   Help!
 Definitely need to try a different cable and make sure it's seated
properly in the printer. What Epson  model is it?

0
Ed
12/9/2005 4:29:28 PM

I know of no virus that causes printers not to print black.

However, there may be some coincidence going on here.

What Epson printer is it?  Are the cartridge Epson brand or 3rd party.
or refill?  Do you use the same refill company for all the printers by
any chance?

If you tell me the model of the Epson I may be able to dig up the
procedure for getting a test page from it.  Have you tried running the
test print page that Windows provides?  It may be this document has a
tag in the header that is causing problems.

Art

R&B Thomas wrote:

> One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.
>
> I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
> printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any suggestions
> how to do it??
>
> This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer - no
> black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my laptop
> printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black printing.  I
> connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it possible I picked up a
> virus that can be passed on to my other computers thru the printers??  That
> is now the only scenario I can rationalize.   Help!
> Barbara
> "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:17 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "R&B
>>Thomas" <rthomas268@att.net> wrote:
>>

>>>It's just a document in Microsoft Word.  I've tried other programs
>>>(Notepad), Wordpad, Works), spreadsheets.  I can print in red that's
>>>readable. Blue and yellow wash out. It won't print in grayscale, I've
>>>tried
>>>Black Only, I've tried selecting black on the color list instead of
>>>automatic, I only get blank sheets.  If I select some text for red, and
>>>some
>>>for black, the red prints but the the black does not.
>>>The printers are different manufacturers so I'm sure it's not the
>>>printers.
>>>It has to be something internal the the operating system Windows XP.  I
>>>haven't downloaded anything from the internet.  As a matter of fact, I
>>>printed on page in black just before the printer stopped because the black
>>>was empty. I changed the cartridge following the written and animated
>>>directions, which I have done several times over the past two years,
>>>nothing
>>>different happened, no different noises, no messages, it just won't print
>>>black.
>>>Sorry, frustrated,
>>>Barbara
>>>P.S. Any instructions I get I can't print out unless I can copy it into a
>>
>>As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
>>computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
>>the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
>>internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.

0
Arthur
12/9/2005 4:34:11 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I know of no virus that causes printers not to print black.
>
> However, there may be some coincidence going on here.
>
> What Epson printer is it?  Are the cartridge Epson brand or 3rd party.
> or refill?  Do you use the same refill company for all the printers by
> any chance?

IF THE GUY BOUGHT GENUINE EPSON INK CARTS HE WOULD NOT HAVE A PROBLEM

> If you tell me the model of the Epson I may be able to dig up the
> procedure for getting a test page from it.  Have you tried running the
> test print page that Windows provides?  It may be this document has a
> tag in the header that is causing problems.
>
> Art
>
> R&B Thomas wrote:
>
>> One computer connects thru a parallel cable, the other uses a USB port.
>>
>> I'm not able to print a test page without the computer on any of my
>> printers.  Couldn't find anything on them or in their books. Any
>> suggestions how to do it??
>>
>> This morning I connected the Epson printer to my old Win95 computer -
>> no black printing. Thought it must be the printer.  So I got out my
>> laptop printer and connected it to my WinXp computer - no black
>> printing.  I connected it to my laptop - no black printing.  Is it
>> possible I picked up a virus that can be passed on to my other
>> computers thru the printers??  That is now the only scenario I can
>> rationalize.   Help!
>> Barbara
>> "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> As the other poster suggested try different cables/ports from the
>>> computer. Also try printing test pages from the printer console, not
>>> the PC, this takes the PC out of the loop and should verify at least
>>> internal the printer(s) are capable of printing correctly.

0
measekite

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

printer won't print black
I have an HP photosmart 7550 and I just changed the black ink cartridge and printed a calibration page and it looked fine. I went to print a Word document and the print head was moving like it is printing but the page came out blank. I changed cartridges and it happened again, so I don't think it's the cartridge (unless I happened to have 2 bad carts, but what is the chance of that?). The HP toolbox says the ink level is full. Any ideas? Thanks!! Eddie G "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote: >I have an HP photosmart 7550 and...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "hibernate hangs...ethernet disabled...no network...shutdown hangs...CD won't write...printer won't print"
"I wanted to upgrade but couldn't, for reasons not understood having to do with repository stuff. So I installed new ubuntu in dual boot with old ubuntu. Installed OK on my old e-machine. Then I decided to hibernate. Hung. Turned off power. Now the ethernet card is disabled on boot and I cannot get to network. Even if I ifconfig the card. Also, shutdown hangs like hibernate did. I have no clue how to fix this. Fortunately, old ubuntu still comes up and gets to network or I wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, cd rw won't write and printer won't print since ...

Canon S600 printer won't print in black
Hello everyone, I've got a Canon S600 inkjet printer which was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago in which i was rearranging my computer station to another room. All that was done was that the printer was disconnected and moved temporarily. Upon re-connection, I noticed that anything I try to print in black (ie. Word document or web pages) doesn't print. Other colors including grey print fine. I've checked that all the ink cartridges are full, tried reinstalling/updating the drivers etc. but nothing. If anyone has any insight in what the problem might...

HP Deskjet printer won't print black
I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. Thanks Carol wrote: > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. > > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. > > Thanks Stupid question time- did you pu...

Canon i560 printer won't print black
I have an i560 printer. It has suddenly stopped printing black. I have the service manual, but it doesn't give any circuit diagrams. Can anyone help? I looked on the internet, and a number of people have had this problem, but most of the answers tell them to replace the ink cartridge - as if that was not the first thing anyone intelligent would do! I have played around with it, and I find that if I plug it into my laptop it prints a Word text document perfectly - so the black cartidge and printhead must be O.K. When I use my RISC PC it doesn't print, so it would appear that the prin...

Canon i560 printer won't print black #2
My Canon i560 has suddenly stopped printing black. I've looked on the internet, and quite a few people seem to have had this happen, and the only suggestion is "change the black ink cartridge" - which is what anyone with any intelligence would do anyway! It won't print black text from Impression on my RISC PC, but when I plug the printer into my laptop with the USB it prints out "Word" documents perfectly. I suspect this is because the RISC PC prints documents as graphics, and it has stopped printing graphics. Anyway, it proves that there is no fault with the blac...

Printer just won't print
I configured my printer with APSFILTER. It usually works very well, but this time I tried to install CUPS before and it might be why I've had problems ever since. When I look at the printer settings in KDE, everything seems fine. When I try to print a document, I receive a message saying that data is sent to the printer, but nothing happens thereafter. I don't even recieve an error message. I can't even print from the command line with lpr /etc/hosts or echo "Hello World" | lpr -PCan300. No error message, no nothing. lpq (ou lpstat) yields: Printer: Can300@here ...

Epson printer won't print
A friend of mine with an Epson USB printer a couple years old running under Windows 98 is having a problem not being able to print. She says the printer indicates no paper is present when there is ample paper. When the printer is turned off and then back on it usually prints. Is there a fairly easy solution for this problem? ...

Printer won't print any colors!
Canon i850, WinXP, USB. Don't know what's going on here. Printer worked normally a week or 2 ago when I last used it. But now it will only print black--no colors. I've uninstalled/reinstalled it. Updated driver to latest. Cleaned print head by removing it from printer and also from Maintenance tab. Any more ideas? First of all what happens when you do a nozzle test print from th printers maintenance Window....are there any colours showing on th test strip.. Dav "Davy" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message news:%S83g.193466$iS4.193071...

printer won't print straight
At work, we have an HP clolor laserjet 4600. I had a document with a border. When I printed it, the document apparently was not straight, as the margin to the top of the border was slanted. Does it just about every time, although the slant differs from time to time. Is there some calibration I can do? Thanks, Peter This is a common problem with laser printers. As the paper feed rollers wear, paper can slip and slide as it is being pulled through the printer resulting in skewiff borders. You will need to replace the paper feed rollers. James Sodor www.whatcartridge.com ...

Printer won't print landscape
I have an HP 1300 laserjet printer. I just connected it to a Linksys PSUS4 print server. In order to get it to work, I had to change it from a CUPS printer to a networked Unix printer using printtool: Queue type: Networked UNIX (LPS) Server: 192.168.1.6 Queue: lp Now it does not print landscape fro OpenOffice, or anywhere for that matter. I've tried changing the driver, as well as other options using printtool under Fedora Core 4. I also tried using OO's spadmin but that had no affect either. Is it possible to get this configuration to support landscape printi...

Laser Printer Won't Print
I've owned my Minolta QMS 1200w for five year and the last time I changed the cartridge was four years ago. Today I tried to print a document and keep getting the error message "This document failed to print". I've checked the parallel cable connections and power supply, tried printing from the command prompt without success. I've uninstalled the printer and reinstalled using the "Add Printer" again without success. I've taken the cartridge out of the printer and gently shaken it from side to side. I'm pretty sure that the cartridge is empty e...

LPT1 to USB Printer Won't print
I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation. The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file attaches the printer to lpt1: net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print. Not only that, but it won't delete and it won't let any other print jobs through... the only way I can get it to delete is to power cycle the printer. Actually, I have two instances of this: one at a customer's site, ...

Web resources about - Printer won't print black? - comp.periphs.printers