Printing in B&W on a color laser printer

I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9420CN, running on Win XP. I'd like
to be be able to print certain web pages that use colored text in
black-and-white. But when I try changing the print settings, the
closest I get is grayscale text. Is there any way to print those
colors as pure -black-and-white? If not, does anyone know of a utility
that would convert the page to b&w before sending it to the printer?

thanks!
0
cityboy

"cityboy" <cityboy3@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9420CN, running on Win XP. I'd like
> to be be able to print certain web pages that use colored text in
> black-and-white. But when I try changing the print settings, the
> closest I get is grayscale text. Is there any way to print those
> colors as pure -black-and-white? If not, does anyone know of a utility
> that would convert the page to b&w before sending it to the printer?

Photoshop can convert any standard image (e.g. JPG, TIF) from
RGB colour to B/W ("greyscale") as can most scanners and
probably most photo-editing software.  Your Brother color
printer may also be able to do this in hardware settings
(printer properties.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
12/24/2007 8:11:04 PM

cityboy wrote:

> I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9420CN, running on Win XP. I'd like
> to be be able to print certain web pages that use colored text in
> black-and-white. But when I try changing the print settings, the
> closest I get is grayscale text. Is there any way to print those
> colors as pure -black-and-white? If not, does anyone know of a utility
> that would convert the page to b&w before sending it to the printer?

	I believe that "grayscale" means that the black ink is used to print in
varous shades of gray, as opposed to black and white only (as does a FAX
machine. Yoe will not get the harsh and terrible contrast characteristic
of faxes. Rather, there will be nice gradations as if it were a true
black and white photogracp.

	There is another setting; "Dots" or "Newsprint"; where the image is
corasely dot-pixelated with variaos sized balck dots to simulate the
newspaper mode of "contrsst". This mode will Xero-copy and FAX better
that does grayscale.

	If you are printing the final product and don't or can't want color,
the gray scale is best.

	All of the above only require one good black crtridge.

		Angelo Campanella.

0
Angelo

Good color/composite doc Printing AND Cost-Effective B&W Printing in ONE Printer?
Hi Folks! Is there a printer which prints GOOD QUALITY color images and composite docs AND also offers cost-effective, speedy B&W printing? I ask as I need to be able to print brochures and photos in color with GOOD quality but still need to be able to print B&W docs at economical cost and speedily. Normally, I specify a good (inkjet, usually a Canon) color printer for the color print/composite doc work and a cheap laser (ilke the Samsung 1710 or Brother HL-1440) for fast, cheap B&W printing jobs. I am wondering if these days there is now an (most likely still in...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer #2
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

My Canon printer is always out of colored ink and I only print B&W
I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color cartridges to be replaced. I am thinking of changing all of them to black. (last resort as I do use color rarely) The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so many color ones that I really can't keep up. On Nov 18, 7:18 pm, metspitzer <kilow...@charter.net> wrote: > I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color > cartridges to be replaced. I am thinking of changing all of them to > black. (last resort as I do use color rarely) > > The black ...

is samsung b&w laser printer good for printing envelopes?
I have need for a laser printer that will print 200-250 envelopes at a time. Has anyone reading this used any of the Samsung laser printers? They appear to be price competitive, but I desire to know how efficient they are for envelope printing? best, Aaron I have a Samsung ML1510 (Don't laugh) it's only an 'El Cheapo', actually I was looking for a replacement for the dreaded Epson C62 and came across this at Dabbs Computers, Bolton, UK for about �48 - and it proved to be a real work horse, I got this initially to make printed circuit boards by using '...

How to make darker the print of a Samsung ML-4500 b&w laser printer?
I have a Samsung ML-4500 b&w laser printer. The printing is okay for my notes, but not dark enough to give to someone. I've only printed 20 pages, but it's consistent, not getting any lighter or darker, so I figure it's not running out of toner. I see no method on the machine or in the manual to darken the print. I just got it used. Am I stuck? Is this what some laser printers are like? You can download a .pdf file of the User Manual for this printer for free from the internet. It is a nice 102 page document with all sorts of valuable information. Just ty...

Which B&W laser printer?
Hello everyone, Currently I am looking to upgrade from my current machine (see .sig) to a Sawtooth or Mystic G4 and at the same time to replace my Epson Stylus Photo 700 with a black-and-white laser printer. The laser has to have the following: - min. 600 * 600 (dpi), - support for/by MacOS 8.1 to 10.5 and - Ethernet connection (preferably UTP). Laser all-in-ones with flat-bed fax (min. speed 14k4) would also be considered. I look forward to hearing of your experience -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- directly or (preferably) on this NG :-). Yours sincerely, -- ...

Reliable b&w laser printer
I am looking for a *RELIABLE* personal monochrome laser printer. Usage will only be an average of a few pages per day. A low profile would be a bonus, as space (height) is limited. Also, any "stay away from" caveats for so called "All-In-One" printers? Thanks. ...

B&W Laser printer suggestion
Hi, I'm just in the process of buying a new printer, and am mainly looking at a black & white laser printer, preferably a multi-function one with scanner and "photocopying" possibilities. As I'm a student, the cost is an issue. Which ones would you suggest? Are there any specific models that are especially good - or bad? Any specific vendor that I should avoid? I have to admit that I'm not very good at this field, and it is difficult to find comparative reviews of printers online. -- Martin Gerner In article <1190197632.128854.293210@n39g200...

which b&w laser printer (usb)
Please recommend a monochrome laser for me. It needs to do B&W faster and cheaper than my inkjet (i.e. better than measured 13 ppm, 3.6 cents per page) Needs to be able to print on the following stock: cheap copy paper card stock (like post cards) transparencies envelopes Needs to be USB (will be connected to a USB print server) When in standby should be quiet and energy efficient so I can leave it on all the time All computers using this are XP but Linux support would be nice Budget: $250 thanks sathyan sundaram.15@osu.edu (Sathyan Sundaram) wrote in message ne...

B&W laser printer for gentoo?
I use gentoo linux operating system I will either be using cups, gutenprint, or hp drivers ... I think I don't yet know if I want a USB2 or ethernet printer I want an all-in-one (printer,scanner,copier,fax) want laser because the hp photosmart I have, that works good for color, runs out of black in fast, the black ink is in the same cartridge as light_cyan and light_magenta the following one image ran out black cartridge http://www.dalekelly.org/images/c_ppmcie.png I have read somewhere? that photosmart printers aren't recommended for text, so I want a B&W pri...

Fooling a Brother color printer to print in B/W?
Most (all?) Brother color printers refuse to work when it reads any color ink cartridge as empty -- even if you only want to print in b/w or grayscale. Is there any way to put in a dummy cartridge that will fool the printer into thinking that the ink is not empty, so that I can continue to print with the black ink? I have a MFC7400C, using LC04 ink. I print very rarely, and almost never in color (my wife just bought a photo-quality printer which we can use for color). But the color cartridges become unusable (dried out?) in only a few months. Ideally, I'd like to fool the s...

Suggestions for B&W personal laser printer
My 14-year-old HP 5L is showing signs of needing replacement. I haven't been keeping up with the new crop of laser printers so don't know which is best now. I actually don't do a lot of printing. I'm still on the toner cartridge I bought when the one that came with the 5L ran out, but it's about gone. But I do want excellent quality for text since I'll use the printer for letters. I have an Epson inkjet printer I use for graphics or anything else with color. Smaller HP printers such as the P1006 have paper exposed to gather dust, so I'd prefer somethi...

Extra cost of printing b/w on a color printer?
Our black-and-white laser printer (Samsung ML-1430) is on its last legs and needs replacement. We also need a copier, now that we've moved and can't use my father-in-law's anymore. We will probably make over 500 copies per month. We won't need fax. My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem to cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time we will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the higher cost of the printer itself? For ...

Web resources about - Printing in B&W on a color laser printer - comp.periphs.printers

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

The hottest trend in 3D printing: shoes on demand
Customised shoe insoles and orthotics are among the newest products to be created using 3D printing machines, and companies such as Nike and ...

Napa Valley Register Bids Farewell to Massive Printing Press
There is a wonderful analogy articulated in Napa Valley Register city editor Kevin Courtney ’s account of the end of the in-house printing era ...

Firefox 44 adds H.264 video support on desktop, supports cloud printing on Android
... its heels. Like the previous release, the most visible changes are reserved for the mobile build. Android users gain support for cloud printing ...

This 3D printing pen is just what you need to bring your art to life
3D printing is all the rage these days because it's pretty awesome to make your concepts into a physical reality, and having a 3D printing pen ...

Stratasys Partners with Adobe to Broaden Adoption of 3D Printing with New Color Experience and Simplified ...
Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq:SSYS), the 3D printing and additive manufacturing solutions company, today announced that it has taken color 3D printing ...

Worldwide spending on 3D printing forecast to grow at a CAGR of 27% to more than US$26 billion in 2019 ...
According to IDC, global spending on 3D printing will grow at a 27% CAGR from nearly US$11 billion in 2015 to US$26.7 billion in 2019.

Study shows some 3D printing fumes can be harmful
If you do a lot of 3D printing and are worried about the fumes, you may want to read a new study from US and French researchers. It measured ...

3D Printing Used To Create 4D Flowers That Change Shape Over Time
With Valentine’s Day just two weeks away, science really is upping the stakes in exactly which flowers to buy your loved one on this Hallmark ...

Airbus Ventures dips into $150 million fund to back 3-D printing at Local Motors
Airbus Ventures, the European aerospace giant’s Silicon Valley spin-off, says the first investment from its $150 million venture fund is going ...