Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer

X-No-Archive

My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

Before I bring this to a shop and spend probably the amount I paid for
it brand-new, is there a way of fixing this oneself?

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth

>My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
>used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
>has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
>refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
>(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
>orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
>"repair shop" problem.)

Firstly how many times does it blink.  If it's something like 7 times
than it's a waste tank full error.

0
zakezuke
4/17/2006 4:09:57 PM
zakezuke wrote:
> >My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
> >used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
> >has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
> >refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
> >(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
> >orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
> >"repair shop" problem.)
>
> Firstly how many times does it blink.  If it's something like 7 times
> than it's a waste tank full error.

It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth
4/17/2006 10:20:41 PM
> > Firstly how many times does it blink.  If it's something like 7 times
> > than it's a waste tank full error.

> It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

http://knightcrawler.filefront.com/

Burried in there is the service manual, which does contain the blink
codes.  But if it never stops,  that's a "rom error".  I've not even
met the rom or the system board personaly, but even if I have and I
could say it was socketed, I wouldn't know where to get the rom in file
form nor does the average person have a ROM burner.. with the exception
of their motherboard.

The blink codes are also listed on this site
http://www.dvdadvdr.com/forums/archive/topic/48370-1.html

To double check you "could" try going into service mode via the
following procedure, with the USB cord disconnected in the unlikely
event there is an issue with the PC's usb.

------------------
 I. Make sure the printer is off but is plugged in

II. Hold down [RESUME] (Triangle pointed down) and hold down [POWER]
and wait 5 seconds or so.

 Release [RESUME] but Continue to hold [POWER]. Double click [RESUME].
then Release [POWER].

Press  [RESUME], than [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a
simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK
in red for the last line.
Press [RESUME] twice then [POWER]] to print off the second diagnostic.
Press [POWER] by it self to exit service mode and return to being a
printer.

This should isolate whether the printer is not printing because it
doesn't want to, or isn't printing because something is wrong.  Odds
are it's the logic board, or a connection to the logic board if you
can't get the sucker into service mode at all, or can get into service
mode and it won't print the diagnostics.  If you can, odds are you have
a diaper full condition.

If you are curious about worst case scenero, you can ask about
"QM2-1548" the main logic board.   How much it costs to replace, or how
much it costs to get.  But odds are if you do have a failed logic board
that looking for a used ip4000 with a bum head, and using your head is
a viable solution.  Or, buying another printer, cleaning up your print
head, and selling it on e-bay.  I don't know if this is your problem,
but given the ip4000 sells for $100 to $150 on closeout sites, and a
new ip4200 runs about $80... if your printer is toast parting out and
buying a new is often most cost effective, and does someone a favor.

0
zakezuke
4/17/2006 10:53:59 PM
I wasn't able to get it into Service mode. Thanks for the advice,
though. Looks like a brand-new printer -- but I think I'm going to
avoid Canon.

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth
4/17/2006 11:15:55 PM

shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:

>zakezuke wrote:
>

>>>My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
>>>used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
>>>has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
>>>refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
>>>(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
>>>orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
>>>"repair shop" problem.)
>>>

>>Firstly how many times does it blink.  If it's something like 7 times
>>than it's a waste tank full error.
>>

>It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.
>
>Shnaggletooth

BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
THAT THINK THEY KNOW.  IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.
0
measekite
4/17/2006 11:35:55 PM
> I wasn't able to get it into Service mode. Thanks for the advice,
> though. Looks like a brand-new printer -- but I think I'm going to
> avoid Canon.

Canon is actually typicaly pretty good, and the ip4000 is no lame duck.
 You got a bum one that had an issue 2 weeks after the warranty
expired, but I know countless people who have units running 2 to 3
years from the origional purchace.  And they are worth a pretty penny
dead.  People want heads, parts, and to keep their unit in service.

Also troubleshooting via usenet is not the most reliable means of
diagonisis.  For all I know you just need to slap the printer to get it
to resume normal operation.  If you are going to chuck it anyway, might
as well kick it.

But if you want to consider something other than canon, i'd look at the
hp 8250.  Sub $150, does employ seperate ink tanks and does have a
seperate head.  If it wasn't for CD printing, and ease of refilling,
i'd probally still be buying HPs..

0
zakezuke
4/17/2006 11:55:20 PM
measekite wrote:

> BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
> THAT THINK THEY KNOW.  IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
> TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
> IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
> IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.

Ignore this tosser
--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
Paul Heslop wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>
> > if you call canon tech suppt they will at least tell you what the problem is and may give > > you a clue on how to fix it
>
> Ignore this tosser

This is one of the rare cases where Measekite has valuable input.
Being the K-rad elite hacker d00d as he describes I often forget about
the fact that sometimes... sometimes... there are issues that are
covered well beyond the warranty.  Who knows.

As far as telling what's wrong... I linked to the blink codes, support
wouldn't know anything more on that subject.  Assuming endless
blinking, that's a ROM problem.  Not that you should always assume the
blink codes are accurate, but that sugests the rom is fried, not
connected.  Bad solder connection or a power surge, probally a power
surge.  Loose wire is always possible.

But he's right, those filthy k-rad hacker d00ds like my self are the
least likely to consider calling technical support.  It's worth a shot,
the worst they will do is tell you it's not covered.

0
zakezuke
4/18/2006 12:30:18 AM
shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:
>zakezuke wrote:
>> >My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
>> >used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
>> >has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
>> >refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
>> >(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
>> >orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
>> >"repair shop" problem.)
>>
>> Firstly how many times does it blink.  If it's something like 7 times
>> than it's a waste tank full error.
>
>It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.
>
>Shnaggletooth

Before you throw it away, can you confirm that the alternating blinking light
never pauses and then starts again? If it does pause briefly, then you need to
count the number of iterations between pauses. That will provide a more
accurate diagnosis.
Tony
0
Tony
4/18/2006 12:42:58 AM
zakezuke wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > measekite wrote:
> >
> > > if you call canon tech suppt they will at least tell you what the problem is and may give > > you a clue on how to fix it
> >
> > Ignore this tosser
>
> This is one of the rare cases where Measekite has valuable input.
> Being the K-rad elite hacker d00d as he describes I often forget about
> the fact that sometimes... sometimes... there are issues that are
> covered well beyond the warranty.  Who knows.
>
> As far as telling what's wrong... I linked to the blink codes, support
> wouldn't know anything more on that subject.  Assuming endless
> blinking, that's a ROM problem.  Not that you should always assume the
> blink codes are accurate, but that sugests the rom is fried, not
> connected.  Bad solder connection or a power surge, probally a power
> surge.  Loose wire is always possible.
>
> But he's right, those filthy k-rad hacker d00ds like my self are the
> least likely to consider calling technical support.  It's worth a shot,
> the worst they will do is tell you it's not covered.

 :O) I never thought I'd see the day.

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
4/18/2006 12:46:06 AM
Paul Heslop wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>

>>BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
>>THAT THINK THEY KNOW.  IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
>>TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
>>IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
>>IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.
>

> Ignore this tosser
Yeah advice from that piece of shit moron idiot is worse than useless
cause it's a total waste of time to even read. I see that stupid asshole
is still doing his idiot routine of all cap crap!
Kill file the loser...PLEASE...we're all so over his mindless, useless
garbage.
Let the moron talk only to himself.
Frank
0
Frank
4/18/2006 12:56:22 AM
Frank wrote:

> > Ignore this tosser
> Yeah advice from that piece of shit moron idiot is worse than useless
> cause it's a total waste of time to even read. I see that stupid asshole
> is still doing his idiot routine of all cap crap!
> Kill file the loser...PLEASE...we're all so over his mindless, useless
> garbage.
> Let the moron talk only to himself.
> Frank

As was pointed out by someone else he actually makes a good point
somewhere in his drivel, but as he refuses to even pretend to act like
anyone else I completely missed it.

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
4/18/2006 12:59:39 AM
>  :O) I never thought I'd see the day.

Measkekite offers the following useful advice

1.  Kirkland Costco paper is cheap and pretty good
2.  Call tech support - read the manual
3.  Buying OEM is less trouble
4.  Krylon uv-resistant clear acrylic spray or Aaron Bros spray to
water proof your prints.

All of these are true useful things to say, easy to miss in a flood of
450 messages per month.

0
zakezuke
4/18/2006 1:11:45 AM
zakezuke wrote:

> >  :O) I never thought I'd see the day.
>
> Measkekite offers the following useful advice
>
> 1.  Kirkland Costco paper is cheap and pretty good
> 2.  Call tech support - read the manual
> 3.  Buying OEM is less trouble
> 4.  Krylon uv-resistant clear acrylic spray or Aaron Bros spray to
> water proof your prints.
>
> All of these are true useful things to say, easy to miss in a flood of
> 450 messages per month.

 :O)
--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
4/18/2006 1:41:18 AM
It will blink short blinks orange-green-orange-green a total of 12x
(ie. the orange blinks short blinks 12x). Then there will be a longer
green blink. Then another 12x alternating, and so on.

(I should have also mentioned:  The printer is no longer hooked up to a
USB into my computer; I'm trying to get it into service mode and
diagnose it separated from my system.)

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth
4/18/2006 3:03:15 PM
LIKE I SAID.  TALK TO CANON TECH SUPPORT.

shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:

>It will blink short blinks orange-green-orange-green a total of 12x
>(ie. the orange blinks short blinks 12x). Then there will be a longer
>green blink. Then another 12x alternating, and so on.
>
>(I should have also mentioned:  The printer is no longer hooked up to a
>USB into my computer; I'm trying to get it into service mode and
>diagnose it separated from my system.)
>
>Shnaggletooth

0
measekite
4/18/2006 3:08:14 PM
I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth
4/18/2006 3:24:03 PM
shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:

> I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
> surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.
>
> Shnaggletooth

But, as has been pointed out, some things should last longer than
guarantee time, such as cookers, televisions and three piece suites.
Your problem appears to be with the operating system of the printer
which are not replaceable by you and should last longer than the
consumable parts.

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
4/18/2006 4:02:12 PM

shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:

>I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
>surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.
>
>Shnaggletooth

AND THE MORONS IN THIS NG SAY MEASKITE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING
ABOUT.  I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A CHANCE.
0
measekite
4/18/2006 7:45:20 PM

shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:

>I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
>surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.
>
>Shnaggletooth

*MEASEKITE WROTE*

YOU SEE I TOLD YOU CANON IS A GOOD COMPANY.  AND I ALSO RECOMMEND YOU
USE CANON INK SO YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE TROUBLE.

*MEASEKITE WROTE*:

LIKE I SAID.  TALK TO CANON TECH SUPPORT.

shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:

It will blink short blinks orange-green-orange-green a total of 12x
(ie. the orange blinks short blinks 12x). Then there will be a longer
green blink. Then another 12x alternating, and so on.

(I should have also mentioned:  The printer is no longer hooked up to a
USB into my computer; I'm trying to get it into service mode and
diagnose it separated from my system.)

Shnaggletooth

0
measekite
4/18/2006 7:47:18 PM
> > I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
>> surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.
> > Shnaggletooth

> But, as has been pointed out, some things should last longer than
> guarantee time, such as cookers, televisions and three piece suites.
> Your problem appears to be with the operating system of the printer
> which are not replaceable by you and should last longer than the
> consumable parts.

12 times is AP position error [6A00]  never ending blinking is a rom
problem.
So it's complaining about either the sheet feeder or the logic board,
or a wire connection between the two units.  I imagine sucking up
something into it would also result in this condition.

But canon shipped a replacement... cool.  And given the nature of the
error it should be a new one, with new ink, and a new head.  Bonus.  I
wish mine would screwup that badly, but unfortunatly it's just too damn
reliable.

0
zakezuke
4/18/2006 7:59:46 PM
zakezuke wrote:

> > > I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
> >> surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.
> > > Shnaggletooth
>
> > But, as has been pointed out, some things should last longer than
> > guarantee time, such as cookers, televisions and three piece suites.
> > Your problem appears to be with the operating system of the printer
> > which are not replaceable by you and should last longer than the
> > consumable parts.
>
> 12 times is AP position error [6A00]  never ending blinking is a rom
> problem.
> So it's complaining about either the sheet feeder or the logic board,
> or a wire connection between the two units.  I imagine sucking up
> something into it would also result in this condition.
>
> But canon shipped a replacement... cool.  And given the nature of the
> error it should be a new one, with new ink, and a new head.  Bonus.  I
> wish mine would screwup that badly, but unfortunatly it's just too damn
> reliable.

Great. did they say if it would be a 4000 or a 4200?
--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
4/18/2006 8:27:02 PM
They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth
4/18/2006 9:21:36 PM
shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:

> They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
> the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
> what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
> a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
> Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.
>
> Shnaggletooth

Cool, good luck with that!
--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
4/18/2006 9:36:49 PM
> They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
> the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
> what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
> a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
> Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.

You should phone them back asap, and explain you can't remove your old
head.
This leads to a new printer with a new head and new ink, and unless you
take a hacksaw to your printer, you in all honesty can't remove the old
head.

The alternative is phoning them when you get the referbished version
and telling them you can't remove the old head, and waiting a couple of
days for a new one, but odds are you wouldn't get the free ink.   This
is assuming they will honor the warranty, which it looks like they may.

0
zakezuke
4/18/2006 9:45:55 PM
shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:
> They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
> the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
> what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
> a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
> Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.
>
> Shnaggletooth

It's pretty well standard procedure that you keep your old printhead
when the problem doesn't seem to be printhead related.

But in your case you CANNOT remove the printhead because the printhead
assembly won't center.

You better call them again and ask the not-too-smart service tech how
you're to go about removing it when you can't get to it . . . ;-)

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
4/18/2006 11:02:54 PM
shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:
>It will blink short blinks orange-green-orange-green a total of 12x
>(ie. the orange blinks short blinks 12x). Then there will be a longer
>green blink. Then another 12x alternating, and so on.
>
>(I should have also mentioned:  The printer is no longer hooked up to a
>USB into my computer; I'm trying to get it into service mode and
>diagnose it separated from my system.)
>
>Shnaggletooth

Ok. I see that Canon are going to replace it and that is great. The 12x blink
is a fatal error so replacement is appropriate.
There probably is a way to centre the carriage, but I suggest as others have
said that you should call and tell them that the carriage does not centre and
they should send you a printer with a new head, much better for you.
Tony
0
Tony
4/19/2006 12:41:22 AM
On 17 Apr 2006 08:49:32 -0700, shnaggletooth@yahoo.com opined:

>X-No-Archive
>
>My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
>used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
>has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
>refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
>(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
>orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
>"repair shop" problem.)

I'm a former Canon service center tech, & my advice is to call Canon
ASAP, explain the problem the way you've described it here,  & ask
them nicely if they will cover it under warranty anyway.
Under the kind of circumstances you're describing, Canon are often
willing to stretch their warranty period a little.
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel
4/19/2006 1:15:47 AM
I told the service tech that I could move the printhead manually (it
just won't snap-to center on power-on as it's supposed to, and
therefore the printer won't work at all).

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth
4/19/2006 1:17:05 AM
I think I will call them tomorrow. Hopefully they haven't shipped out
the new unit already.

Shnaggletooth

0
shnaggletooth
4/19/2006 1:20:47 AM
On 18 Apr 2006 08:24:03 -0700, shnaggletooth@yahoo.com opined:

>I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
>surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.

I should've read the whole thread before replying. ;)

Like I said in my other post to you, I'm an ex-Canon service tech, &
they try hard to do the honourable thing by their customers. I've seen
hundreds of cases where they've honoured the warranty on a machine
that's failed shortly after going out of the official warranty period.
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel
4/19/2006 1:22:49 AM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:02:54 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
opined:

>shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:
>> They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
>> the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
>> what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
>> a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
>> Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.
>>
>> Shnaggletooth
>>

>It's pretty well standard procedure that you keep your old printhead
>when the problem doesn't seem to be printhead related.
>
>But in your case you CANNOT remove the printhead because the printhead
>assembly won't center.

On most Canon inkjets it's easy to do it manually, via either of two
methods:

(1) If the printhead moves at all when you turn it on, do so, then
unplug the power cord as soon as the the has moved out of the
'parking' position.

(2) Turn off the printer & *gently* drag the head over to the center.
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel
4/19/2006 1:27:18 AM
Lionel wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:02:54 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
> opined:
>

>>shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
>>>the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
>>>what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
>>>a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
>>>Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.
>>>
>>>Shnaggletooth
>>>

>>It's pretty well standard procedure that you keep your old printhead
>>when the problem doesn't seem to be printhead related.
>>
>>But in your case you CANNOT remove the printhead because the printhead
>>assembly won't center.
>

> On most Canon inkjets it's easy to do it manually, via either of two
> methods:
>
> (1) If the printhead moves at all when you turn it on, do so, then
> unplug the power cord as soon as the the has moved out of the
> 'parking' position.
>
> (2) Turn off the printer & *gently* drag the head over to the center.

Thanks for the handy tips. I should print this out and store it should
mine ever go.

Welcome to the printer group. Nice to see any kind of Canon
representation here. HP's been served very nicely by Bob Headrick.

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
4/19/2006 2:45:04 AM
Lionel <usenet@imagenoir.com> wrote:
>On 17 Apr 2006 08:49:32 -0700, shnaggletooth@yahoo.com opined:
>
>>X-No-Archive
>>
>>My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
>>used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
>>has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
>>refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
>>(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
>>orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
>>"repair shop" problem.)
>
>I'm a former Canon service center tech, & my advice is to call Canon
>ASAP, explain the problem the way you've described it here,  & ask
>them nicely if they will cover it under warranty anyway.
>Under the kind of circumstances you're describing, Canon are often
>willing to stretch their warranty period a little.
>--
> . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
>  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
>---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------

That is exactly my experience, on one occasion they replaced a printer 3 1/2
months out of original warranty. The customer had reported a fault one month
before warranty expired, the printer was replaced promptly and it failed with a
different problem one week after the warranty on the replacement printer ended.
HP are just as good in my experience.
Tony
0
Tony
4/19/2006 5:19:53 AM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:45:04 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
opined:

>Lionel wrote:
[retrieving stubborn printhead carriages]
>> (2) Turn off the printer & *gently* drag the head over to the center.

And I forgot another good method:
(3) If the model is one of the ones where the carriage parking
position is completely inaccessible (usually to the extreme right),
you can often extract it by pulling the toothed rubber/cloth carriage
belt to the left. (Watch out for the inevitable stray ink &/or white
grease in the area!)

>Thanks for the handy tips. I should print this out and store it should
>mine ever go.
>
>Welcome to the printer group.

Well, I'm reading this from RPD, where I've been a reg for a few years
now, but we often see printer-related questions here.

> Nice to see any kind of Canon
>representation here. HP's been served very nicely by Bob Headrick.

Thanks for the kind words, Taliesyn, they're much appreciated. :)

Do please bear in mind that I'm very much an *ex* Canon tech though,
as I haven't serviced any Canon printers in a professional capacity
since about '99, (when I finally finished switching over to the
networking side of the IT industry), so I have had no 'official'
connection with Canon, (other than as a mostly-happy customer) since
that time, & don't claim to speak for Canon in any 'official'
capacity.
That said, I worked for Canon (Business Equipment Service, Australia)
for several years, then went on to work in, then manage
Canon-authorised service centres for another 6 years or so, so I'm
pretty familiar with their equipment, their service policies, &
service procedures.
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel
4/19/2006 10:23:02 AM
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:19:53 -0500, Tony <TonytheTigurrrrr@aim.com>
opined:

>That is exactly my experience, on one occasion they replaced a printer 3 1/2
>months out of original warranty. The customer had reported a fault one month
>before warranty expired, the printer was replaced promptly and it failed with a
>different problem one week after the warranty on the replacement printer ended.
>HP are just as good in my experience.
>Tony

Good point, Tony. Canon will nearly always (totally unofficially)
'reset' the warranty period on a fault originally repaired within the
'official' warranty period.
For example, the old BJC-600 had a couple of nasty design faults that,
at some sites, resulted in recurring printhead (ie; expensive!) errors
through no fault of the users, for several years after the original
purchase, but Canon kept on fixing the printers for free until they
finally came up with a permanent fix for the design fault.

The lesson here for Canon users who run into a fault shortly before or
after the original warranty period is to *get straight on the phone*
to Canon, ASAP! Because Canon *wants* to keep you happy, & will
usually cut you some slack if they think it'll turn bad word-of-mouth
into good word-of-mouth. :)
(And in the printer market segment, there's another good reason for
this attitude, which is that they make way more profit from the
consumables than they do from the original sale, so they don't mind
eating a repair bill to keep you from switching to the competition.)
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel
4/19/2006 10:42:16 AM
> I told the service tech that I could move the printhead manually (it
> just won't snap-to center on power-on as it's supposed to, and
> therefore the printer won't work at all).

You are a resourceful honest person, you don't get a printhead and free
ink.

0
zakezuke
4/19/2006 1:53:28 PM
On 19 Apr 2006 06:53:28 -0700, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com>
opined:

>> I told the service tech that I could move the printhead manually (it
>> just won't snap-to center on power-on as it's supposed to, and
>> therefore the printer won't work at all).
>
>You are a resourceful honest person, you don't get a printhead and free
>ink.

Perhaps not, but he (?) /does/ get Karma points, self-reliance points,
& the respect of one or two Canon Service staff, none of which are
things to be sneezed at. ;)
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel
4/19/2006 2:17:51 PM
> Perhaps not, but he (?) /does/ get Karma points, self-reliance points,
> & the respect of one or two Canon Service staff, none of which are
> things to be sneezed at. ;)

Well, karma is nothing to sneeze at... it's just sad when you solve a
problem your self it means no free ink or replacement printhead.  If I
was still running my epson r200 during it's warranty period, I would be
thankful if it broke, as that means good karma and free ink.

But I would also agree from my limited experence getting on their good
side and doing "some" troubleshooting does by-pass much of the
checklist and saves time.  Though I kick my self for telling them "oh
no, the print head moves around, you told me to unplug it, so it's not
moving"  "Well you don't get a new printer with ink" "damn it".

0
zakezuke

UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"
I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty. And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180: (reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying Canon products. Shnaggletooth shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote: >I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight >from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty. >And yes, it came with a new p...

Canon Pixma iP4500 printer head problem
My Pixma iP4500 is 6 months old. I used it one day, and all was fine then the next time I turned it on, it says there is no printer head o the one installed is incompatible with the printer. Have trie reinstalling the printer drivers x3 without success. Printer doe between 500 -1,000 pages per week most weeks, mostly black, but som coloured stuff of late. Also tried cleaning the head gently with tissue. Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated Since it's only 6 months old I'd certainly get in touch with the plac of purchase or maybe contact Canon support ...

Warning about Canon PIXMA iP3000/iP4000 series printers
We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off quite so much on ink. The whole printer ink jet market, until now, has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out. That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator, water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid. Oh, and by the way, there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no ...

Canon ip8500 Pixma Printer / AlBook Running Tiger / Problems
I have a Canon ip8500 Pixma printer connected to a 17" AlBook (most recent version) running Tiger. There are two items of software that come with the printer, a driver, and a photo printing program that allows the printer to exploit all eight color inks. The driver installer hangs about half way through, but it appears that the driver is installed as I can select the printer and print. The photo printing program installs, but hangs upon launch. I've checked the Canon website and there is no mention of any problem with the printer software and Tiger. Has anyone else had this ki...

Canon Pixma IP4000, when does printer use BCI-3EBK cart ink
As subject Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is selected? Only when draft is selected? Thanks in advance tHatDudeUK wrote: > As subject > > Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is > selected? Only when draft is selected? > > Thanks in advance Normally it uses BCI3e all the time except when printing photos, so when photo or glossy paper is selected. When you print text and business documents with graphics. tHatDudeUK wrote: >As subject > >Is it only when plain paper is selected...

HP printer vs. Canon printer

Canon printer problems
Hi I was given this printer, this is the info i got from the start, i havent tried it yet as i have to dig out the usb lead. Seems to be faulty, we have tried lots of different cartrages and different print heads, but doesn't print black properly Its a i250. I havent seen one of these before. I hate throwing anything away, is there much chance of getting it up and running? ta Sounds like a dead print head... which is probably why someone gave it away. -- Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging "Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" <julianha...

Canon Printer Problem.
I have a Canon BJC2100 Printer that was working perfectly until I unplugged it to move my computer. When I plugged it back in it stopped working. The problem is that the printhead won't go to the starting position, it stays in the center. I tried unplugging it for about an hour then plugging it back in again. It seems to recycle but it comes back to the center position. I tried replacing the ink carts and it does the same thing. I replaced the printhead and it made no difference. I tried removing the driver and installing the driver again (3 different times) but it doe...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD ...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

Lexmark Printer Problems
A friend of mine has a Lexmark all in one, model X1150. Just recently it appears to have developed a fault, when she tries to print anything it brings up an error message saying 'Printer Cover Open'. The printer cover is fully closed so I can't see why the error is brought up every time, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance Diane Diane wrote: > A friend of mine has a Lexmark all in one, model X1150. Just recently it > appears to have developed a fault, when she tries to print anything it > brings up an error message saying 'Printer...

Web resources about - Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer - comp.periphs.printers

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade cultural problems worrying the aid community
Report criticises DFAT for cultural problems and lack of appreciation for aid within the department after merger with AusAid.

Kevin Rudd's brutal slapdown of Australians who don't think we have a racism problem
[ SMH - Text-only index ] Kevin Rudd's brutal slapdown of Australians who don't think we have a racism problem Date: February 12 2016 Leesha ...

Kevin Rudd's brutal slapdown of Australians who don't think we have a racism problem
Former prime minister Kevin Rudd says it is &quot;100 per cent bullshit&quot; that the booing of Adam Goodes had nothing to do with his Aboriginality. ...

Kevin Rudd's brutal slapdown of Australians who don't think we have a racism problem
Former prime minister Kevin Rudd says it is "100 per cent bullshit" that the booing of Adam Goodes had nothing to do with his Aboriginality. ...

GM recalls trucks and SUVs for brake pedal problem
Filed under: Recalls , Chevrolet , GMC , North America , SUV , Truck GM will recall 2015-2016 examples of the Silverado HD, Sierra HD, and Tahoe ...

The problem with current 'smart' access control systems
... an access card? There’s a chance it could get into the wrong hands. This is certainly an issue for concern, but the true root of the problem ...

iPhone 7 might be an even bigger problem than we thought for Samsung
The lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack won't be the only big change to hit the iPhone 7. According to a report from The Electronic Times , Apple ...

The problem luxury isn't addressing
Designers are pushing back against the traditional fashion week calendar. But experts say that change wouldn't fix everything.

Cisco ASA firewall has a wormable problem
CSO Online Cisco ASA firewall has a wormable problem CSO Online It has been a rough couple of weeks for security vendors. Juniper with their ...