Problems with Network Printer

I have a HP Businessjet 2280 on a home network.  The printer is
connected hardwired to a 3com OfficeConnect router to which the main
machine is hard wired.  The other machines are connected to the system
wirelessly.  The OS is WINXP Pro.

All machines can 'see' each other and can see the printer.  All
machines can print a 'test page' from the print spooler immediately
'test page' is selected.

When using MSWord the printer hard wired to the router will print
immediately 'on demand'.  When printing from MSWord from the
'wireless' printers I initially get a message saying the printer has
not been detected (not precise words) and to either cancel or wait. If
I select 'wait' after say 30 secs, perhaps a minute, the mesage is
repeated and after selecting 'wait' again there is a wait of abouyt 30
secs before the document prints.

As an added piece of information, I sometimes get the message from the
'wireless' machines that 'Directory Services are unavailable'.   When
I get this message, MSWord simply advises no printers are available
although the printer is identified and will printer via the 'spooler'.

This behaviour seems strange.  Previously I was using an HP 930c (not
a network printer) that was installed on the machine hard wired to the
router and the 'wireless' machine that would print immediately on
demand from MSWord.

Doews anyone have any suggestions on what may be wrong here?  The
likelyhood is it is a 'networking' problem  but if anyone has had a
similar problem and can point me in the right direction it will be
appreciated.  I did 'Google' for the 'Directory Services unavailable'
but the posts on that subject were way above my head :-).
0
Edward

Edward W. Thompson <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>I have a HP Businessjet 2280 on a home network.  The printer is
>connected hardwired to a 3com OfficeConnect router to which the main
>machine is hard wired.  The other machines are connected to the system
>wirelessly.  The OS is WINXP Pro.
>
>All machines can 'see' each other and can see the printer.  All
>machines can print a 'test page' from the print spooler immediately
>'test page' is selected.
>
>When using MSWord the printer hard wired to the router will print
>immediately 'on demand'.  When printing from MSWord from the
>'wireless' printers I initially get a message saying the printer has
>not been detected (not precise words) and to either cancel or wait. If
>I select 'wait' after say 30 secs, perhaps a minute, the mesage is
>repeated and after selecting 'wait' again there is a wait of abouyt 30
>secs before the document prints.
>
>As an added piece of information, I sometimes get the message from the
>'wireless' machines that 'Directory Services are unavailable'.   When
>I get this message, MSWord simply advises no printers are available
>although the printer is identified and will printer via the 'spooler'.
>
>This behaviour seems strange.  Previously I was using an HP 930c (not
>a network printer) that was installed on the machine hard wired to the
>router and the 'wireless' machine that would print immediately on
>demand from MSWord.
>
>Doews anyone have any suggestions on what may be wrong here?  The
>likelyhood is it is a 'networking' problem  but if anyone has had a
>similar problem and can point me in the right direction it will be
>appreciated.  I did 'Google' for the 'Directory Services unavailable'
>but the posts on that subject were way above my head :-).

I suggest that you ost this to microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax the folks
there are more likely to be able to help.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Tony
1/12/2007 8:07:47 PM
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:27:10 +0000, Edward W. Thompson
<thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I have a HP Businessjet 2280 on a home network.  The printer is
>connected hardwired to a 3com OfficeConnect router to which the main
>machine is hard wired.  The other machines are connected to the system
>wirelessly.  The OS is WINXP Pro.
>
>All machines can 'see' each other and can see the printer.  All
>machines can print a 'test page' from the print spooler immediately
>'test page' is selected.
>
>When using MSWord the printer hard wired to the router will print
>immediately 'on demand'.  When printing from MSWord from the
>'wireless' printers I initially get a message saying the printer has
>not been detected (not precise words) and to either cancel or wait. If
>I select 'wait' after say 30 secs, perhaps a minute, the mesage is
>repeated and after selecting 'wait' again there is a wait of abouyt 30
>secs before the document prints.
>
>As an added piece of information, I sometimes get the message from the
>'wireless' machines that 'Directory Services are unavailable'.   When
>I get this message, MSWord simply advises no printers are available
>although the printer is identified and will printer via the 'spooler'.
>
>This behaviour seems strange.  Previously I was using an HP 930c (not
>a network printer) that was installed on the machine hard wired to the
>router and the 'wireless' machine that would print immediately on
>demand from MSWord.
>
>Doews anyone have any suggestions on what may be wrong here?  The
>likelyhood is it is a 'networking' problem  but if anyone has had a
>similar problem and can point me in the right direction it will be
>appreciated.  I did 'Google' for the 'Directory Services unavailable'
>but the posts on that subject were way above my head :-).

As a follow up to my message, I deleted the printer from all
'wireless' connected machines and deleted a;ll references to the
printer in the Registrys.  I then reinstalled the 'full' driver (not
the lite variety) on both wireless machines and presently all is
functioning as expected, that is the printer responds immediately when
a print job is sent.

I guess like most problems the solution is completely remove the
device and reinstalled.  However, it is somewhat frustrating not to
know why the problem existed in the frirst place.
0
Edward

CUPS problem? or network problem? or printer problem?
Trying to configure CUPS to print to an HP LaserJet 5si over the network. Here is the relevant error_log stuff: I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Job 14 queued on 'ptr' by 'wm'. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 12120) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1 2121) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (P ID 12122) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprint er (PID 1...

Printer trays.....network printers
Still having a problem here... If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H (PCL for use lower tray), nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it uses bottom tray. I want t...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers
have you looked into requesting a specific paper type instead of specifying trays? I suggest this because it's actually a much more sensible method of paper selection, which may well have superceded tray selection (other sequences have been dropped, too, but I can't recall which ones offhand). I think that's a PCL6 thing that appeared first on HP5SIMX or so, at which point tray specs were also supported. When we had a new one of those (8 or so years ago?) HP Boise denied the existence of PCL beyond 5 "we don't do it that way any more", but has later acknowle...

change default printer to network printer
Guys, I need help . I am using vb5. I am try to print one report @ two different location. 1) is default and 2) is on network. I am trying to set network printer as default for second time. The program was written in win98 and it is working good. but we are try to update all the computers for XP. Thanks for help Bharat Parekh *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** You can grab my printer swtich code here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com htt...

I have a Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer attached via USB to my PC. My Mac can see it and add it but it cannot load the right driver. I installed the printer on the Mac as well then re connected it to the PC hoping that after the Mac would be able to locate or display the proper Canon driver. Any idea how to get the correct driver assigned to this shared printer? Thanks, Om Mac- G4/450 w 512MB RAM 10.3.8, Canon driver 2.6.0 PC- Win2K Pro- printer shared Both machines network flawlessly together ...

Only allow a printer server on network printer
How can I set up a network printer to only use a printer server from WinNT or Win2000 servers if the printer is network enabled (say an HP printer with a JetDirect card and its own IP)? Is it configurable through the JetAdmin utility? Do I have to setup a filtering firewall perhaps to the printer? TIA Patrick ...

Problem with network printer
I have a Kyocera 1200S PostScript printer attached to a RiscPC which is runing Select 3 (RISC OS 4.37) and !Printers 1.64. The printer is shared. Networked to the RPC is a WinXP PC running Virtual Acorn Adjust with !Printers+ 1.91a. Activating and selecting the Remote printer on the VA setup enables me to print to the Kyocera OK but, at the end of a print job, the following message appears (on the VA screen): Error from Printer Manager Arguments of function/procedure incorrect (12407) (&1F) @ 12407. There's no line 12407 in the Basic !RunImage of either the 1.64 or...

problem with network printers
I'm creating an asp page which have some links to print Word or pdf files; I'm using window.print() to send the documents to the printer that is connected directly to the network (but the problem exist even with printers that are not) and in some cases all I get is a blank page, only the date and the file path are printed, and the only solution it seems to be to give at the domain account, who's using the asp page, local administrator rights for the pc. I don't know why this works (and even who suggested to do such thing), but the network administrator doesn't want to give ...

Network Printer Problem
I just plugged in a Brother HL-2070N network-ready printer into my Ethernet switch so that my two networked PCs could share it. After installing the drivers and running the setup routine that came with the printer, the PC with XP pro on it is able to successfully print. However, the other PC with XP home on it always has the print job time-out when a print is sent, even though the printer shows up 'Ready' under 'Printers and Faxes'. Both PCs have Norton Antivirus and Sygate Personal Firewall identically configured, yet the printer works with one PC and not the o...

Network Printer Problem
I have a 15" iMac with wireless. The wireless works just fine with my Airport Extreme. That is all functions except the printer which is connected to the Airport Extreme via the USB port. The problem is that it used to work before I upgraded the OS. When I use the printer utility, it finds the printer just fine. But when I try to print anything, it times out. The printer utility tells me the printer is connected to the USB port. Well, it is, but it is the USB port on the Airport Extreme. And, of course, via wireless internet. When I try to solve the problem using the printer util...

network printer problem
me again... printer, dev 440 laserjet 4250.....stopped printing last week. accessible = on web browser. Any suggestions please, short of a reboot? Stop/start network? thanks, john Have had it powered down, wait a while, back up again, no improvement.. Shows with msg on browser: ORDER CARTRIDGE LESS THAN 1500 PAGES :abortio 440 HLIO internal error. Command cannot be executed. (CIERR 3161) :showdev 440 LDEV AVAIL OWNERSHIP VOLID DEN ASSOCIATION 440 UNAVAIL SPOOLER OUT :strs 440 STARTSPOOL 440 Device is already spooled out. (CIERR 3218) :stps 440 S...

network printer problem
Hello- I've got a problem with my printer which seems odd to me. I have a wireless network (Netgear MR814) with 2 laptops and a desktop, all running win XP. Connected to the desktop are two HP printers. About 2 weeks ago, I had been using a wired router for the same setup, and my laptop was able to access both printers, the HP PSC which was directly connected to the laptop, and via the network, the 7260 which was connected to the desktop. So, here's the problem. Now that I've set up the wireless network, I can't access the 7260 via the network anymore. Nothing about that conn...

Network printer problem
Hi, I have a Canon Pixma iP5000 which I have a problem connecting to. It works with no problems when I connect to the usb port of my iMac G5 (Tiger OS). My problem is that I want to share the printer between my windows and my mac and I have therefore bought a Roline usb print server with builtin AppleTalk support. It works with no problems from my windows computer. But when I try to connect to it from my mac does the printer browser locate the print server through AppleTalk but it only registrates it as a 'Generic Postscript Printer'. How can I select the right printe...

Problems with network printer
I am having problems with network printer using ADA. I would like to know how to name correctly the File adress instead of the standard "LPT1". I'm using GNAT Pro 5.04a1. A example is shown bellow. with Ada.Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_Io; use Ada.Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_Io; procedure Printout is Turkey : File_Type; begin Create(Turkey, Out_File, "LPT1"); Put(Turkey, "This is a test of turkey"); New_Line(Turkey); Put(Turkey, "and it should work well."); New_Line(Turkey, 2); Put("Half of the turkey test."); New_...

Web resources about - Problems with Network Printer - comp.periphs.printers

Q&A producer reveals 'disturbing' women problem
Producer Amanda Collinge lists the "disturbing" reasons many women refuse to appear on the talk show.

The country with the world's worst drink problem
South Korea has more alcoholics than any other country, but it seems unlikely to quit the drink any time soon.

Cord cutters frustrated over Super Bowl 50 streaming problems
... disappointed with the outcome of that effort. I know I sure was, and the Twitter feed for CBS Sports Help Team was full of reports of problems ...

6 health problems that iPhones are helping to solve
Last year, Apple debuted a suite of medical tools called ResearchKit, which could forever change the way doctors study common health problems. ...

Bitcoin's tech could solve a big problem we had in the 2008 crash
... blockchain than just budgetary hype. Not only does the technology have the potential to cut costs, it could also solve one of the biggest problems ...

DraftKings may have 'gambling' problem
DraftKings has received a "gambling" license to operate in the U.K., even as it fights that label in the United States.

Two Reasons Anyone Who Remembers The Recession Had A Problem With Quicken Loans’ Super Bowl Ad
... America by getting a mortgage. While people have fired off countless critical arrows at the ad, we wanted to focus on two particular problems ...

How the Flint lead crisis reflects America's water problem
... and governance that values saving money above public safety. But even these towns only represent a cross-section of America’s water problem. ...

Wall Street Hates Tesla, Soon We'll Know If That's Actually A Problem
Tesla is down 30% in 2016. With slow deliveries of the Model X crossover and concerns over low oil prices, Elon Musk will need to reassure Wall ...