Testing compatible cartridges in a Canon IP4200

I have recently purchased in the UK a new Canon IP4200 printer complete with
the boxed and sealed OEM catridges and Print Head. Purchase price was less
than the cost of a set of OEM cartridges.  I intend to use compatible
cartridges with this printer. I have obtained a set of compatible cartridges
(unbranded on eBay) and so far have soursed a Black (PGI) and Yellow empty
OEM catridges complete with chips. I would like to be able to test the use
of the compatible cartridges and if they are satisfactory continue to use
them for general printing but retaining the partly used OEM cartridges for
"special" prints if there proves to be any advantage in this. I would
welcome comments on the practicality of this approach. Questions which come
to mind are whether it is a) reasonable to do so and b) what is the best
method of sealing  partly used cartridges whilst they are not installed in
the printer, and whether it reasonable to store partly used cartridges for
some time in this state?

Also, if I install a cartridge approximately how much printing do I need to
do before I know that I am using the ink from that cartridge rather than
from the previous one? I assume there will be a residue of ink in the
"pipework" between the cartridge and the printhead?

Can anyone provide any links to user experiences of using non-OEM cartridges
in either the IP4200 or other Canon printers using the chipped cartridge?
There does seem to be a wealth of information on re-filling OEM carts but
little on using "compatible" carts in these printers. I have scrolled
through a large number of posts in this group and tried various search
algorithms but have not found much user information. The compatible carts
have been available for several months now so I would have expected some
user experience to be available.
--
Colin Reddish

0
Colin

"Colin Reddish" <pqr68_2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have recently purchased in the UK a new Canon IP4200 printer complete with
>the boxed and sealed OEM catridges and Print Head. Purchase price was less
>than the cost of a set of OEM cartridges.  I intend to use compatible
>cartridges with this printer. I have obtained a set of compatible cartridges
>(unbranded on eBay) and so far have soursed a Black (PGI) and Yellow empty
>OEM catridges complete with chips. I would like to be able to test the use
>of the compatible cartridges and if they are satisfactory continue to use
>them for general printing but retaining the partly used OEM cartridges for
>"special" prints if there proves to be any advantage in this. I would
>welcome comments on the practicality of this approach. Questions which come
>to mind are whether it is a) reasonable to do so and b) what is the best
>method of sealing  partly used cartridges whilst they are not installed in
>the printer, and whether it reasonable to store partly used cartridges for
>some time in this state?
>
>Also, if I install a cartridge approximately how much printing do I need to
>do before I know that I am using the ink from that cartridge rather than
>from the previous one? I assume there will be a residue of ink in the
>"pipework" between the cartridge and the printhead?
>
>Can anyone provide any links to user experiences of using non-OEM cartridges
>in either the IP4200 or other Canon printers using the chipped cartridge?
>There does seem to be a wealth of information on re-filling OEM carts but
>little on using "compatible" carts in these printers. I have scrolled
>through a large number of posts in this group and tried various search
>algorithms but have not found much user information. The compatible carts
>have been available for several months now so I would have expected some
>user experience to be available.
>--
>Colin Reddish

Colin
Yes compatible cartridges have been available for some time but so far as I
know there are no compatible chips yet. That means you have to transfer the
chips from the old cartridges to the new and you will have an empty cartridge
report which you can ignore and then you will lose monitoring of the ink
levels. The same will apply to empty (pre-used) OEM cartridges.
Tony
0
Tony
11/1/2006 9:42:33 AM
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:51:27 GMT, "Colin Reddish"
<pqr68_2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have recently purchased in the UK a new Canon IP4200 printer complete with
>the boxed and sealed OEM catridges and Print Head. Purchase price was less
>than the cost of a set of OEM cartridges.  I intend to use compatible
>cartridges with this printer. I have obtained a set of compatible cartridges
>(unbranded on eBay) and so far have soursed a Black (PGI) and Yellow empty
>OEM catridges complete with chips. I would like to be able to test the use
>of the compatible cartridges and if they are satisfactory continue to use
>them for general printing but retaining the partly used OEM cartridges for
>"special" prints if there proves to be any advantage in this. I would
>welcome comments on the practicality of this approach. Questions which come
>to mind are whether it is a) reasonable to do so and b) what is the best
>method of sealing  partly used cartridges whilst they are not installed in
>the printer, and whether it reasonable to store partly used cartridges for
>some time in this state?
>
>Also, if I install a cartridge approximately how much printing do I need to
>do before I know that I am using the ink from that cartridge rather than
>from the previous one? I assume there will be a residue of ink in the
>"pipework" between the cartridge and the printhead?
>
>Can anyone provide any links to user experiences of using non-OEM cartridges
>in either the IP4200 or other Canon printers using the chipped cartridge?
>There does seem to be a wealth of information on re-filling OEM carts but
>little on using "compatible" carts in these printers. I have scrolled
>through a large number of posts in this group and tried various search
>algorithms but have not found much user information. The compatible carts
>have been available for several months now so I would have expected some
>user experience to be available.

Since the printer is so cheap why not buy another one and then use one
printer for your ordinary printing with refill ink and the other one
for your special prints.  I have a IP5000 for throw away work that I
refill and an IP4200 for photos.  The refill ink fades about 20 times
faster than the Canon ink.
0
george
11/1/2006 2:41:46 PM
"george" <abc@b.com> wrote in message

> Since the printer is so cheap why not buy another one and then use one
> printer for your ordinary printing with refill ink and the other one
> for your special prints.  I have a IP5000 for throw away work that I
> refill and an IP4200 for photos.  The refill ink fades about 20 times
> faster than the Canon ink.

What a great answer!! Why didn't I think of that? That gets me a full set of
empty carts that I know have good chips for no wasted outlay. I was thinking
of getting another printer to make use of the genuine carts but sell the
print head hopefully for a reasonable sum on eBay and the rest of the
surplus printer for spares, but you suggestion is much better, thanks.

I would still appreciate answers on the question of storing partly used
carts and the using up ink already in the print head. This will be useful
whilst I do some experimenting. Having the second printer as you suggest
will be a fallback if I wreck one of them.
--
Colin Reddish

0
Colin
11/1/2006 7:30:48 PM
"Tony" <TonytheTigurrrrr@aim.com> wrote in message

> Colin
> Yes compatible cartridges have been available for some time but so far as
> know there are no compatible chips yet. That means you have to transfer
> the
> chips from the old cartridges to the new and you will have an empty
> cartridge
> report which you can ignore and then you will lose monitoring of the ink
> levels. The same will apply to empty (pre-used) OEM cartridges.

Thanks Tony, I'm aware of those restrictions and am prepared to accept them.
What surprises me is that there is so little detail of actual user
experiences reported in the forums or on web sites.
--
Colin Reddish

0
Colin
11/1/2006 7:35:37 PM
On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:30:48 GMT, "Colin Reddish"
<pqr68_2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would still appreciate answers on the question of storing partly used
>carts and the using up ink already in the print head. This will be useful
>whilst I do some experimenting. Having the second printer as you suggest
>will be a fallback if I wreck one of them.

To store partly used cartridges put the orange breakaway tab back on
the cartridge and hold in place with a rubber band.
0
george
11/2/2006 4:58:03 AM
george wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:30:48 GMT, "Colin Reddish"
> <pqr68_2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >I would still appreciate answers on the question of storing partly used
> >carts and the using up ink already in the print head. This will be useful
> >whilst I do some experimenting. Having the second printer as you suggest
> >will be a fallback if I wreck one of them.
>
> To store partly used cartridges put the orange breakaway tab back on
> the cartridge and hold in place with a rubber band.

Or, I use blue masking tape my self... but that's only because I don't
stock rubberbands.

0
zakezuke
11/2/2006 7:03:42 AM
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> george wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:30:48 GMT, "Colin Reddish"
>> <pqr68_2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >I would still appreciate answers on the question of storing partly used
>> >carts and the using up ink already in the print head. This will be
>> >useful
>> >whilst I do some experimenting. Having the second printer as you suggest
>> >will be a fallback if I wreck one of them.
>>
>> To store partly used cartridges put the orange breakaway tab back on
>> the cartridge and hold in place with a rubber band.
>
> Or, I use blue masking tape my self... but that's only because I don't
> stock rubberbands.

Thanks for the replies. I'll do that. Is it best to store them in their
operational position i.e. with the outlet at the bottom? I have seen
comments about using blotting paper to catch drips when removing temporary
seals. This would be prevented if they were stored inverted. Maybe this
would cause the sponge near the outlet to dry out?
--
Colin Reddish

0
Colin
11/2/2006 11:04:12 PM
"Colin Reddish" <pqr68_2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> george wrote:

>>> To store partly used cartridges put the orange breakaway tab back on
>>> the cartridge and hold in place with a rubber band.
>>
>> Or, I use blue masking tape my self... but that's only because I don't
>> stock rubberbands.
>
> Thanks for the replies. I'll do that. Is it best to store them in their
> operational position i.e. with the outlet at the bottom? I have seen
> comments about using blotting paper to catch drips when removing temporary
> seals. This would be prevented if they were stored inverted. Maybe this
> would cause the sponge near the outlet to dry out?
> --
> Colin Reddish

I think that right-side up would be best as the cart, when installed again,
has to have a wet exit port filter.  About the masking tape - Zakezuke is an
excellent source of information, but I've had problems with the regular
masking tape getting soggy after a while.  I was storing them in a sealed
refrigerator carton after rubber banding the outlet port cover back on as a
seal at the bottom and using masking tape over the air vent.  I switched to
a good quality black plastic electricians tape and like it better to seal
the air vent.

0
Burt
11/2/2006 11:24:50 PM
Colin Reddish wrote:
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> To store partly used cartridges put the orange breakaway tab back on
> >> the cartridge and hold in place with a rubber band.
> >
> > Or, I use blue masking tape my self... but that's only because I don't
> > stock rubberbands.
>
> Thanks for the replies. I'll do that. Is it best to store them in their
> operational position i.e. with the outlet at the bottom? I have seen
> comments about using blotting paper to catch drips when removing temporary
> seals. This would be prevented if they were stored inverted. Maybe this
> would cause the sponge near the outlet to dry out?

Upside down would not be wise.  I lack the experence base of others but
proper operation would seem to depend on having the foam not quite 100%
saturated.  I've noticed if the cotton wod gets 100% full it restricts
the flow of ink out the outlet.  Upside down would cause the ink to
flow to the top of the cotton wod.  Not to speak of the fact there is a
hole there under the label.

Storing upright is from my limited experence base, the way to go.  The
same would go with OEM.

0
zakezuke
11/3/2006 12:43:49 PM

> Storing upright is from my limited experence base, the way to go.  The
> same would go with OEM.

Thanks for the replies.
--
Colin Reddish

0
Colin
11/3/2006 1:50:34 PM
Colin Reddish wrote:
> "Tony" <TonytheTigurrrrr@aim.com> wrote in message
>
>> Colin
>> Yes compatible cartridges have been available for some time but so far as
>> know there are no compatible chips yet. That means you have to transfer
>> the
>> chips from the old cartridges to the new and you will have an empty
>> cartridge
>> report which you can ignore and then you will lose monitoring of the ink
>> levels. The same will apply to empty (pre-used) OEM cartridges.
>
> Thanks Tony, I'm aware of those restrictions and am prepared to accept them.
> What surprises me is that there is so little detail of actual user
> experiences reported in the forums or on web sites.

Bit late in the day but just to note... I think one of the reasons
you've not seen too much on this is that most people with a clue have
eskewed the newer canons because of the chips. Those who have gone that
route have often had the experience to know that refilling is cheapest
of all and just refilled the original carts.

The compatibles are there but I doubt many people have touched them and
from what I've seen on the rare forum posts that do mention them, they
are a little prone to failure and chips being unrecognised.

My advice if you actually opt for that route is to go for refilling and
use nifty-stuff forum as a good base for learning the ropes.

Hope that helps.

Martin
0
Martin
11/7/2006 12:00:30 PM
"Martin" <ng@websnail.net> wrote in message
> Colin Reddish wrote:
>> "Tony" <TonytheTigurrrrr@aim.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Colin
>>> Yes compatible cartridges have been available for some time but so far
>>> as I
>>> know there are no compatible chips yet. That means you have to transfer
>>> the
>>> chips from the old cartridges to the new and you will have an empty
>>> cartridge
>>> report which you can ignore and then you will lose monitoring of the ink
>>> levels. The same will apply to empty (pre-used) OEM cartridges.
>>
>> Thanks Tony, I'm aware of those restrictions and am prepared to accept
>> them. What surprises me is that there is so little detail of actual user
>> experiences reported in the forums or on web sites.
>
> Bit late in the day but just to note... I think one of the reasons you've
> not seen too much on this is that most people with a clue have eskewed the
> newer canons because of the chips. Those who have gone that route have
> often had the experience to know that refilling is cheapest of all and
> just refilled the original carts.
>
> The compatibles are there but I doubt many people have touched them and
> from what I've seen on the rare forum posts that do mention them, they are
> a little prone to failure and chips being unrecognised.
>
> My advice if you actually opt for that route is to go for refilling and
> use nifty-stuff forum as a good base for learning the ropes.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Martin

To reinforce Martin's advice, there are several people posting to the
nifty-stuff forum about their experience with the newest Canon printers.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

0
Burt
11/7/2006 5:57:12 PM
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> "Martin" <ng@websnail.net> wrote in message

>> Bit late in the day but just to note... I think one of the reasons you've
>> not seen too much on this is that most people with a clue have eskewed
>> the newer canons because of the chips. Those who have gone that route
>> have often had the experience to know that refilling is cheapest of all
>> and just refilled the original carts.
>>
>> The compatibles are there but I doubt many people have touched them and
>> from what I've seen on the rare forum posts that do mention them, they
>> are a little prone to failure and chips being unrecognised.
>>
>> My advice if you actually opt for that route is to go for refilling and
>> use nifty-stuff forum as a good base for learning the ropes.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Martin
>
> To reinforce Martin's advice, there are several people posting to the
> nifty-stuff forum about their experience with the newest Canon printers.
> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Thanks Burt and Martin. I've noted your advice and am currently following
relevant threads in the nifty-stuff forum. Like on here there is little
experience of compatibles for the chipped Canon printers. In recent weeks
several of the more reputable UK suppliers have introduced compatible carts
for the 4200/5200 printers so they probably believe there is a market for
them. So maybe more users will be trying them and reporting results. I have
purchased a set on eBay but not installed them yet. The OEM carts supplied
with the printer which I purchased a couple of weeks ago are still almost
full so I will take my time getting to know the printer using them and being
convinced the printer does not have any faults before I sacrifice the
warranty by using the compatibles. I have also bought some empty OEM carts
from which I will use the chips. I have also been reading about re-filling
as an alternative approach but at the present time I'd rather stick with
compatibles if they work out OK. There are also a significant number of
IP4200's being sold on eBay and they are fetching reasonable prices
(�30-�50) although much less than the IP4000's which tend to be twice that.
I suspect many of the buyers of the 4200 are un-aware of the significance of
the chipped cartridges.
--
Colin Reddish

0
Colin
11/12/2006 1:14:21 PM
Colin Reddish wrote:
> The OEM carts supplied
> with the printer which I purchased a couple of weeks ago are still almost
> full so I will take my time getting to know the printer using them and being
> convinced the printer does not have any faults before I sacrifice the
> warranty by using the compatibles.

While use of compatibles in it self does not void the warranty, your
logic is sound.  See how it works out of the box before you make a
change to your operating procedure.  Use the OEM ink as a point of
reference, then judge all others based on that.  I do the exact same
thing... though others would be tempted to sell off the OEM ink and
save $40 to $50 on that printer purchace.. or 30 to 35quid.

Either way it's your printer, your choice.

0
zakezuke
11/12/2006 6:48:45 PM

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> "Martin" <ng@websnail.net> wrote in message
>
>>> Bit late in the day but just to note... I think one of the reasons
>>> you've not seen too much on this is that most people with a clue have
>>> eskewed the newer canons because of the chips. Those who have gone that
>>> route have often had the experience to know that refilling is cheapest
>>> of all and just refilled the original carts.
>>>
>>> The compatibles are there but I doubt many people have touched them and
>>> from what I've seen on the rare forum posts that do mention them, they
>>> are a little prone to failure and chips being unrecognised.
>>>
>>> My advice if you actually opt for that route is to go for refilling and
>>> use nifty-stuff forum as a good base for learning the ropes.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> To reinforce Martin's advice, there are several people posting to the
>> nifty-stuff forum about their experience with the newest Canon printers.
>> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
>
> Thanks Burt and Martin. I've noted your advice and am currently following
> relevant threads in the nifty-stuff forum. Like on here there is little
> experience of compatibles for the chipped Canon printers. In recent weeks
> several of the more reputable UK suppliers have introduced compatible
> carts for the 4200/5200 printers so they probably believe there is a
> market for them. So maybe more users will be trying them and reporting
> results. I have purchased a set on eBay but not installed them yet. The
> OEM carts supplied with the printer which I purchased a couple of weeks
> ago are still almost full so I will take my time getting to know the
> printer using them and being convinced the printer does not have any
> faults before I sacrifice the warranty by using the compatibles. I have
> also bought some empty OEM carts from which I will use the chips. I have
> also been reading about re-filling as an alternative approach but at the
> present time I'd rather stick with compatibles if they work out OK. There
> are also a significant number of IP4200's being sold on eBay and they are
> fetching reasonable prices (�30-�50) although much less than the IP4000's
> which tend to be twice that. I suspect many of the buyers of the 4200 are
> un-aware of the significance of the chipped cartridges.
> --
> Colin Reddish

Colin - the Canon OEM carts in the ip4200 are easily adapted for refilling.
After several refills they don't feed the ink as well, and they can then be
flushed out with a simple device made from a few hardware store items and
restored to like-new function.  All this information is on the nifty-stuff
forum.  Refilling gives you the opportunity to buy inks that are more
predictable than with prefilled compatable carts.  There are just a few that
you will see noted on this and the nifty forum that anyone recommends.  Once
you learn the refilling routine it is really simple to do.

0
Burt
11/12/2006 7:55:38 PM
Colin Reddish wrote:

> The OEM carts supplied
> with the printer which I purchased a couple of weeks ago are still almost
> full so I will take my time getting to know the printer using them and being
> convinced the printer does not have any faults before I sacrifice the
> warranty by using the compatibles.

I still have the full original OEM carts for my iP5000 bought in
December 2004. They're about two years old now so I guess I should use
them out before they lose their flavor. :-) I never bothered registering
the printer and went straight to using a mixture of compatibles and home
refill for the BCI-3e black. Then some months later I went to full
refill, and I'm still at it. Printer works flawlessly with various
aftermarket inks. And why not? No surprise there. My biggest worry was
mechanical breakdown and NOT anything related to the inks. So far so
good with the mechanics and the limited life span printheads they give
us for a laugh and then charge more than 1/2 the price of a new printer
to replace when burnt out!

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
11/13/2006 2:38:13 AM
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:38:13 -0500, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Colin Reddish wrote:
>
>> The OEM carts supplied
>> with the printer which I purchased a couple of weeks ago are still almost
>> full so I will take my time getting to know the printer using them and being
>> convinced the printer does not have any faults before I sacrifice the
>> warranty by using the compatibles.
>
>I still have the full original OEM carts for my iP5000 bought in
>December 2004. They're about two years old now so I guess I should use
>them out before they lose their flavor. :-) I never bothered registering
>the printer and went straight to using a mixture of compatibles and home
>refill for the BCI-3e black. Then some months later I went to full
>refill, and I'm still at it. Printer works flawlessly with various
>aftermarket inks. And why not? No surprise there. My biggest worry was
>mechanical breakdown and NOT anything related to the inks. So far so
>good with the mechanics and the limited life span printheads they give
>us for a laugh and then charge more than 1/2 the price of a new printer
>to replace when burnt out!
>
>-Taliesyn

Just a personal observation, to partially support the comments above.
My Canon i950 is considerably older than the one discussed here, and I
refilled the original cartridges many, many times before the print
head finally failed.  My best estimate is between 2000 and 3000 full
color 8X10 photographs before this failure occurred.  And I bought a
brand new, sealed print head off eBay for about $80 US, and with it
and a new set of OEM cartridges, I'm back running fine again.  Also,
refilling as often as needed, no problems there either.  My original
cost of that printer was about $250 as I recall, so my new printhead
cost only about 1/3 original printer.  Furthermore, I don't have to
put up with the current "monopolistic" chipping behavior of those
money grubbing jerks!

Olin
0
omcdaniel
11/13/2006 4:46:19 PM
Taliesyn wrote:
> Colin Reddish wrote:
>
>> The OEM carts supplied with the printer which I purchased a couple of
>> weeks ago are still almost full so I will take my time getting to know
>> the printer using them and being convinced the printer does not have
>> any faults before I sacrifice the warranty by using the compatibles.
>
> I still have the full original OEM carts for my iP5000 bought in
> December 2004. They're about two years old now so I guess I should use
> them out before they lose their flavor. :-) I never bothered registering
> the printer and went straight to using a mixture of compatibles and home
> refill for the BCI-3e black. Then some months later I went to full
> refill, and I'm still at it. Printer works flawlessly with various
> aftermarket inks. And why not? No surprise there. My biggest worry was
> mechanical breakdown and NOT anything related to the inks. So far so
> good with the mechanics and the limited life span printheads they give
> us for a laugh and then charge more than 1/2 the price of a new printer
> to replace when burnt out!

Hey, Canon has to make their money someplace if we're not buying OEM
ink. ;)  The cost of a print head for the iP4000/MP780 is still less
than the cost of a set of OEM cartridges.  I'll be using our non-chipped
Canon printers until their wheels fall off.  Even then, I have a big
roll of duct tape and bailing wire sitting on the shelf to patch them up
again.
0
Michael
<head>
</head>
Colin Reddish wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">"Burt" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net">&lt;sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net&gt;</a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:YN34h.23596$TV3.10515@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com">news:YN34h.23596$TV3.10515@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com</a>...
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">"Martin" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ng@websnail.net">&lt;ng@websnail.net&gt;</a> wrote in message
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Bit late in the day but just to note... I think one of the reasons you've
not seen too much on this is that most people with a clue have eskewed
the newer canons because of the chips. Those who have gone that route
have often had the experience to know that refilling is cheapest of all
and just refilled the original carts.

The compatibles are there but I doubt many people have touched them and
from what I've seen on the rare forum posts that do mention them, they
are a little prone to failure and chips being unrecognised.

My advice if you actually opt for that route is to go for refilling and
use nifty-stuff forum as a good base for learning the ropes.

Hope that helps.

Martin
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">To reinforce Martin's advice, there are several people posting to the
nifty-stuff forum about their experience with the newest Canon printers.
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/">http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/</a>
    </pre>
This is a predudicial forum of hackers and hobbyists who (many) have
some type of affiliation with the relabelers in the generic ink
industy.&nbsp; If you want the truth by independent professionals like
Wilhelm Labs, PC World and PC Magazine as well as Popular Photography I
would google then and read professional reviews.<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
[...]
(&pound;30-&pound;50) although much less than the IP4000's which tend to be twice that.
I suspect many of the buyers of the 4200 are un-aware of the significance of
the chipped cartridges.
  </pre>
0
measekite
11/16/2006 2:31:26 AM

Taliesyn wrote:
> Colin Reddish wrote:
>
>> The OEM carts supplied with the printer which I purchased a couple of
>> weeks ago are still almost full so I will take my time getting to
>> know the printer using them and being convinced the printer does not
>> have any faults before I sacrifice the warranty by using the
>> compatibles.
>
> I still have the full original OEM carts for my iP5000 bought in
> December 2004. They're about two years old now so I guess I should use
> them out before they lose their flavor. :-) I never bothered registering
> the printer and went straight to using a mixture of compatibles and home
> refill for the BCI-3e black. Then some months later I went to full
> refill, and I'm still at it. Printer works flawlessly with various
> aftermarket inks. And why not? No surprise there. My biggest worry was
> mechanical breakdown and NOT anything related to the inks. So far so
> good with the mechanics and the limited life span printheads they give
> us for a laugh and then charge more than 1/2 the price of a new printer
> to replace when burnt out!
>
> -Taliesyn

I find that this boy's information is not reliable and I just do not
believe his claims.  All of his claims conflict with adult professionals
who I favor to believe due to their professional credibility.  One is
Wilhem who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars.  This person has to
save lunch money to buy generic ink.
0
measekite
11/16/2006 2:39:15 AM

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> Taliesyn wrote:
>> Colin Reddish wrote:
>>
>>> The OEM carts supplied with the printer which I purchased a couple
>>> of weeks ago are still almost full so I will take my time getting to
>>> know the printer using them and being convinced the printer does not
>>> have any faults before I sacrifice the warranty by using the
>>> compatibles.
>>
>> I still have the full original OEM carts for my iP5000 bought in
>> December 2004. They're about two years old now so I guess I should use
>> them out before they lose their flavor. :-) I never bothered registering
>> the printer and went straight to using a mixture of compatibles and home
>> refill for the BCI-3e black. Then some months later I went to full
>> refill, and I'm still at it. Printer works flawlessly with various
>> aftermarket inks. And why not? No surprise there. My biggest worry was
>> mechanical breakdown and NOT anything related to the inks. So far so
>> good with the mechanics and the limited life span printheads they
>> give us for a laugh and then charge more than 1/2 the price of a new
>> printer
>> to replace when burnt out!
>
> Hey, Canon has to make their money someplace if we're not buying OEM
> ink. ;)  The cost of a print head for the iP4000/MP780 is still less
> than the cost of a set of OEM cartridges.  I'll be using our
> non-chipped Canon printers until their wheels fall off.  Even then, I
> have a big roll of duct tape and bailing wire sitting on the shelf to
> patch them up again.

What a joke and a very bad deal ($80.00) for a printhead.  I can get a
brand new printer, an IP4300 that uses the latest Canon ink technology
that also includes a full set of OEM inks that a more fade resistant
than the previous set.  I still am not sure if the quality is any better.
0
measekite
11/16/2006 2:44:51 AM
measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in news:nbQ6h.6639$Sw1.5500
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>> Colin Reddish wrote:
>>
>>> The OEM carts supplied with the printer which I purchased a couple of
>>> weeks ago are still almost full so I will take my time getting to
>>> know the printer using them and being convinced the printer does not
>>> have any faults before I sacrifice the warranty by using the
>>> compatibles.
>>
>> I still have the full original OEM carts for my iP5000 bought in
>> December 2004. They're about two years old now so I guess I should use
>> them out before they lose their flavor. :-) I never bothered
registering
>> the printer and went straight to using a mixture of compatibles and
home
>> refill for the BCI-3e black. Then some months later I went to full
>> refill, and I'm still at it. Printer works flawlessly with various
>> aftermarket inks. And why not? No surprise there. My biggest worry was
>> mechanical breakdown and NOT anything related to the inks. So far so
>> good with the mechanics and the limited life span printheads they give
>> us for a laugh and then charge more than 1/2 the price of a new
printer
>> to replace when burnt out!
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>
> I find that this boy's information is not reliable and I just do not
> believe his claims.  All of his claims conflict with adult
> professionals who I favor to believe due to their professional
> credibility.  One is Wilhem who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Money from who, Canon, HP and Epson, Tartaglia?  What else would you
expect for tests paying "hundreds of thousands of dollars".

Who
11/16/2006 3:07:07 PM
Who Cares wrote:

> measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in news:nbQ6h.6639$Sw1.5500
> @newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

>>I find that this boy's information is not reliable and I just do not
>>believe his claims.  All of his claims conflict with adult
>>professionals who I favor to believe due to their professional
>>credibility.  One is Wilhem who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars.
>

> Money from who, Canon, HP and Epson, Tartaglia?  What else would you
> expect for tests paying "hundreds of thousands of dollars".

Observe the insane bullshit of meashershithead. He refers to the op as
"boy" and his references as "adult professionals". When in reality he
himself is a "fool". Observe this "professional" tester wilhem. He makes
  "hundreds of thousands of dollars" so we have to believe his results
right?
Bullshit! He is paid by the majors to test their ink against selected
inferior inks so that the majors can use the "test results" in their
advertising claims.
Kill file this moron.
Frank
0
Frank
11/16/2006 5:12:49 PM
measekite wrote:

> I find that this boy's information is not reliable and I just do not
> believe his claims.  All of his claims conflict with adult professionals
> who I favor to believe due to their professional credibility.  One is
> Wilhem who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars.  This person has to
> save lunch money to buy generic ink.

The savings of bulk ink, as measekite pointed out in the past, equal
one pizza a week and sending your kid to prom, in a limo, with a tux
rental.  The savings for moderate users can make the difference between
buying a Kia or a Toyota, a Toyota or a Suburu.

0
zakezuke
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
zakezuke wrote:
 cite="mid1163704430.549808.163060@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">measekite wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I find that this boy's information is not reliable and I just do not
believe his claims.  All of his claims conflict with adult professionals
who I favor to believe due to their professional credibility.  One is
Wilhem who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars.  This person has to
save lunch money to buy generic ink.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
The savings of bulk ink, as measekite pointed out in the past, equal
one pizza a week and sending your kid to prom, in a limo, with a tux
rental.  The savings for moderate users can make the difference between
buying a Kia or a Toyota, a Toyota or a Suburu.
  </pre>
Those who would favor (not favour) generic ink would also favor a Yugo.<br>
0
measekite
11/16/2006 7:29:46 PM
zakezuke wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>

>>I find that this boy's information is not reliable and I just do not
>>believe his claims.  All of his claims conflict with adult professionals
>>who I favor to believe due to their professional credibility.  One is
>>Wilhem who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars.  This person has to
>>save lunch money to buy generic ink.
>

> The savings of bulk ink, as measekite pointed out in the past, equal
> one pizza a week and sending your kid to prom, in a limo, with a tux
> rental.  The savings for moderate users can make the difference between
> buying a Kia or a Toyota, a Toyota or a Suburu.

For anyone who prints a lot, several thousand can be saved by using
aftermarke/refill inks. In 10 years that could mean the difference
between someone ending up with a Yugo (like Measekite is forced to drive
because ink costs so much :-)) or me, getting the Camry simply from the
money I saved with aftermarket ink. Obviously, this is only realized if
one prints an awful lot. For someone who prints only a couple of sets of
cartridges a year, well, keep driving that bike you got from the money
you saved not buying OEMs and dream of printing more . . .

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
11/16/2006 7:54:20 PM
measekite wrote:

> The savings of bulk ink, as measekite pointed out in the past, equal
> one pizza a week and sending your kid to prom, in a limo, with a tux
> rental.  The savings for moderate users can make the difference between
> buying a Kia or a Toyota, a Toyota or a Suburu.
>

>  Those who would favor (not favour) generic ink would also favor a Yugo.

Not really.  The people who I know personaly who use nissans drive
Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas, Suburus, and SUV hybrids.

I only know of one Yugo driver, and I don't know him personaly.

0
zakezuke
11/16/2006 10:34:43 PM
zakezuke wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>>The savings of bulk ink, as measekite pointed out in the past, equal
>>one pizza a week and sending your kid to prom, in a limo, with a tux
>>rental.  The savings for moderate users can make the difference between
>>buying a Kia or a Toyota, a Toyota or a Suburu.
>>

>> Those who would favor (not favour) generic ink would also favor a Yugo.
>

> Not really.  The people who I know personaly who use nissans drive
> Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas, Suburus, and SUV hybrids.
>
> I only know of one Yugo driver, and I don't know him personaly.

I see that jackass meashershithead is at it again. Yugo's died out
decades ago while the after market ink sector is growing by leaps and
bounds. It's highly unlikely that, much to the dismay of oem's (and our
resident troll), that they will disappear like the Yugo did.
Frank
0
Frank
11/16/2006 11:21:52 PM

Taliesyn wrote:
> zakezuke wrote:
>> measekite wrote:
>>

>>> I find that this boy's information is not reliable and I just do not
>>> believe his claims.  All of his claims conflict with adult
>>> professionals
>>> who I favor to believe due to their professional credibility.  One is
>>> Wilhem who makes hundreds of thousands of dollars.  This person has to
>>> save lunch money to buy generic ink.
>>

>> The savings of bulk ink, as measekite pointed out in the past, equal
>> one pizza a week and sending your kid to prom, in a limo, with a tux
>> rental.  The savings for moderate users can make the difference between
>> buying a Kia or a Toyota, a Toyota or a Suburu.
>>

> For anyone who prints a lot, several thousand can be saved by using
> aftermarke/refill inks. In 10 years that could mean the difference
> between someone ending up with a Yugo (like Measekite is forced to
> drive because ink costs so much :-))

You are not even old enough to drive.  Also you cannot even get into a
bar (legally).  I do not beleive you even spend that much,  You have no
job and I am sure your allowance is not that bit.

Of course the money you get from mowing grass and shoveling (?snow) has
to go far.
> or me, getting the Camry simply from the
> money I saved with aftermarket ink.

I doubt you could afford to spend $30,000 on a Camry.  A real joke.
> Obviously, this is only realized if one prints an awful lot. For
> someone who prints only a couple of sets of cartridges a year, well,
> keep driving that bike you got from the money you saved not buying
> OEMs and dream of printing more . . .

The intelligence here is to buy an inket printer and use it a lot using
generic ink and some cheap paper and walla now you can afford a car. :-[
:-D :-D
> -Taliesyn
0
measekite
11/17/2006 5:38:31 PM
measekite wrote:

> Of course the money you get from mowing grass and shoveling (?snow) has
> to go far.
> > or me, getting the Camry simply from the
> > money I saved with aftermarket ink.
>
> I doubt you could afford to spend $30,000 on a Camry.  A real joke.

I've believe $30,000 canadian for a camry for the XLE.

MSRP US is about $20,000 for a base model.  XLE with a v6 $26,000 or
so, but more like $22,000 retail.

I'm not sure of the retail price of the Camry up north, but we're
talking $25,000 canadian for the LE, about $33,000 for the XLE with the
v6.

Assuming $15,000 and 1.8apr that's about $260/month for 60 months
Assuming $20,000 and 1.8APR that's about $350/month for 60 months.
Assuming $25,000 and 1.8apr that's about  $435/month for 60 months.
Assuming $30,000 and 1.8apr that's about  $525//month for 60 months

The difference between $5000 is about $90/month.  Given that ink is
costing there and abouts of $70 a set, and assuming someone is burning
a set of cartridges/month, and bulk ink costs there and abouts of 90%
less, you can easily see how that extra cash could easily jump you to
the next class of car, or at least the same car but nicely loaded.  We
are talking over $3500.00 in savings in 60 months.

0
zakezuke
11/18/2006 9:27:14 PM
zakezuke wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>

>>Of course the money you get from mowing grass and shoveling (?snow) has
>>to go far.
>>
>>>or me, getting the Camry simply from the
>>>money I saved with aftermarket ink.
>>
>>I doubt you could afford to spend $30,000 on a Camry.  A real joke.
>

> I've believe $30,000 canadian for a camry for the XLE.
>
> MSRP US is about $20,000 for a base model.  XLE with a v6 $26,000 or
> so, but more like $22,000 retail.
>

> I'm not sure of the retail price of the Camry up north, but we're
> talking $25,000 canadian for the LE, about $33,000 for the XLE with the
> v6.
>
> Assuming $15,000 and 1.8apr that's about $260/month for 60 months
> Assuming $20,000 and 1.8APR that's about $350/month for 60 months.
> Assuming $25,000 and 1.8apr that's about  $435/month for 60 months.
> Assuming $30,000 and 1.8apr that's about  $525//month for 60 months
>
> The difference between $5000 is about $90/month.  Given that ink is
> costing there and abouts of $70 a set, and assuming someone is burning
> a set of cartridges/month, and bulk ink costs there and abouts of 90%
> less, you can easily see how that extra cash could easily jump you to
> the next class of car, or at least the same car but nicely loaded.  We
> are talking over $3500.00 in savings in 60 months.

Nicely presented Z, although I seriously doubt meashershithead will
understand the math.
THX
Frank
0
Frank
11/18/2006 9:56:16 PM
zakezuke wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>>Of course the money you get from mowing grass and shoveling (?snow) has
>>to go far.
>>
>>>or me, getting the Camry simply from the
>>>money I saved with aftermarket ink.
>>
>>I doubt you could afford to spend $30,000 on a Camry.  A real joke.
>

> I've believe $30,000 canadian for a camry for the XLE.
>
> MSRP US is about $20,000 for a base model.  XLE with a v6 $26,000 or
> so, but more like $22,000 retail.
>

> I'm not sure of the retail price of the Camry up north, but we're
> talking $25,000 canadian for the LE, about $33,000 for the XLE with the
> v6.
>
> Assuming $15,000 and 1.8apr that's about $260/month for 60 months
> Assuming $20,000 and 1.8APR that's about $350/month for 60 months.
> Assuming $25,000 and 1.8apr that's about  $435/month for 60 months.
> Assuming $30,000 and 1.8apr that's about  $525//month for 60 months
>
> The difference between $5000 is about $90/month.  Given that ink is
> costing there and abouts of $70 a set, and assuming someone is burning
> a set of cartridges/month, and bulk ink costs there and abouts of 90%
> less, you can easily see how that extra cash could easily jump you to
> the next class of car, or at least the same car but nicely loaded.  We
> are talking over $3500.00 in savings in 60 months.

I calculate I'll get that Camry by 2027 . . . .  ;-) (if not new, used!)

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn

Canon i550 Canon i560 Cartridges Compatible?
I have both printers and the cartridge model numbers differ (BCI-3eY, for example, for the i550 and BCI-6Y for the i560. They both use the same black ink cartridge (BCI-3eBK). Can I use the color cartridges interchangeably, or must I order separate model cartridges for the two printers? The cartridges appear to be the same physically. TIA for any insight! Peter van der Goes wrote: > I have both printers and the cartridge model numbers differ (BCI-3eY, > for example, for the i550 and BCI-6Y for the i560. They both use the > same black ink cartridge (BCI-3eBK). Can ...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

test test test test test test
test test test test test test test ...

TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING
TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING ...

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

canon ip4200 printer refill
I know this topic has been discussed before but despite reading various threads I am still somewhat confused :-) What happened was that I replaced the large black cartridge PGI-5BK with a non OEM model which I had to reset the chip with. It has been working fine but from the start the printer could no longer detect the ink level of that cartridge. So I assume I will only know it has run out when the cartridge is used up. Is this dangerous for the printer? I used non -epson cartridges with my r200 but the chip could be reset to recognise ink levels. I am now getting a message that m...

test test test test

Canon ip4200 Printer Refills
So I am walking down the street six months ago and see a new Island Ink Jet franchise and stopped in to chat with the guy to see what his store is all about because I need a new printer. He recommends the Canon ip4200 because of the ability for him to refill the individual ink cartridges at a little more than 1/2 the price of new cartridges. So last week three of our colors ran out at once so I dropped them off on Saturday and he calls my wife this morning to say he can't refill them because of some microchip in them and he expects to have a chip re-setter by the end of the summ...

Canon Cli compatable cartridges
See that these now come with chips fitted, saving all that fidling, swopping chip over. Price is quite a lot more than existing; anyone used one yet? Curios as to whether ink counter works (Canon MP830 user) "Gel" <barclayhomes@ukgateway.net> wrote in message news:8c60f24e-140b-49c0-a140-c28dbe65aa6b@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > See that these now come with chips fitted, saving all that fidling, > swopping chip over. > Price is quite a lot more than existing; anyone used one yet? > > Curios as to whether ink counter works > (Canon MP830 u...

canon ip4200 cartridge refills
I know this has been discussed before but I have read various threads and am still somewhat confused :-) I recently the large black cartridge PGI-5BK with a non OEM model which I had to reset the chip with. It has been working fine but the printer can no longer detect the ink level of that cartridge. So I assume I will only know it has run out when the cartridge is used up. Is this dangerous for the printer? I used non -epson cartridges with my r200 but the chip could be reset to recognise ink levels. I am now getting a message that magenta is running low and wasn't sure what c...

Printer Ink

Ink for refilling Canon printer cartridges
About 3-4 years ago I found out you can refill printer cartridges and found a Canadian company that sold refill kits & ink. I bought a pint bottle and am just now running out, but it's been so long I have lost their contact info. The labels and instruction sheets don't have their name or number. Since I've had such good luck with their ink, I'd like to buy from them again before trying out another company. Anybody recognize this company? I remain respectful and a little bit hongry, X Guv Bob http://www.geocities.com/guvbob2003 Represented in all slander...

Are cartridges bought with printers test ones ??
Just bought a printer and was wondering if the cartridge that was bundled with it is just a 'test' cartridge. Is it normal for printer manufacturers to do that. The one i got lasted about 10 days (maybe 10 small photos and 20 normal quality colour text pages). Just wondered if my suspicions were right or not. It was a Lexmark printer. Hoping that the ones i buy instore last a little longer !! Cheers Andrew In article <dq6g5f$2ur$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, no@no.com says... > Just bought a printer and was wondering if the cartridge that was bundled > with it i...

Web resources about - Testing compatible cartridges in a Canon IP4200 - comp.periphs.printers

List of Netflix compatible devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^ http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices , Stream Movies & TV Online, Watch Online Movies, Netflix Ready Device ^ Heater, Brian (July 14, ...

Are your names compatible?: love affinity calculator on the App Store on iTunes
Get Are your names compatible?: love affinity calculator on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Philips docks compatible with Apple's Lightning connector
Sets let you organize your photos on Flickr. Explore the 9 photos in this set.

Sony Xperia Z3+: Manual camera compatible! - YouTube
... hour with the Sony Xperia Z3+, we wanted to see if the new Sony flagship is capable of taking advantage of the manual camera APIs Google compatible ...

Budget surplus compatible with NDIS-Oppn

Good Game Stories - Backwards Compatible - The Power Glove
In the history of hair-brained game peripheral ideas there’s one that’s so bad it’s almost good - It’s the Nintendo Power Glove!

Sony's 4K movie streaming service compatible with PlayStation 4
Sony tries to destroy bandwidth caps everywhere with 100 GB downloads

Liberals Attack Kenney For Calling Irish Immigrants 'Culturally Compatible' In 2012 (VIDEO)
What did Employment Minister Jason Kenney mean when he said the Irish were culturally compatible with Canada? While in Dublin two years ago Kenney, ...

Asia-Pacific FTA compatible with multilateral trade systems: WTO
Asia-Pacific FTA compatible with multilateral trade systems: WTO People's Daily Online The director-general of the World Trade Organization ...

Swatch planning to introduce Android-compatible smartwatch and mobile payment service, CEO says
While Swatch certainly won't be partnering with Apple on the iPhone maker's upcoming Watch despite an ill-fated rumor that surfaced last year, ...