USB 2 printer and a USB 1 computer

Hi,

I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2
interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause
problems ?

Ton

--
Computer museum tonh: http://www.tonh.net
GGGallery website generator: http://www.tonh.net/gggallery

0
Ton

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:31:36 +0200, "Ton den Hartog" <tonh@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2
>interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause
>problems ?

Most USB 2 devices are backword campatable to USB 1.1 and maybe 1.  I
would try and if doesn't work you can purchase a USB 2 PCI card cheap
$10-$20 Most computer stores do carry them.  Note there are PCMCA USB
2 card also but they are not cheap at about $80.

Gordon
0
Gordon
9/20/2003 1:15:36 AM
If the printer has the official USB logo on it it has to be backwards
compatible

"Ton den Hartog" <tonh@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2
> interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause
> problems ?
>
> Ton
>

> --
> Computer museum tonh: http://www.tonh.net
> GGGallery website generator: http://www.tonh.net/gggallery
> - Added a PDP 8

0
GB
9/20/2003 5:45:24 AM
[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <3f6b83ca$0$58706$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, tonh@xs4all.nl
says...
> I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2
> interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause
> problems ?

  Generally, any USB2 device should be backwards compatible with USB1 (now
called USB FullSpeed.) In fact, I find it doubtful if any common
home/small-office printer could have any advantage from USB2 (USB
HighSpeed).

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
9/20/2003 12:24:44 PM
I'm not sure that is true.  If you have a USB2 connection you will be able
to transfer data at around 420kps around 4 times faster than USB1.  I have
my Canon i560 hooked up with a parallel cable and it takes about 2.5 mins
from start to finish to print out a 4x6.  The claim is 50 sec with USB2.  So
that works out about right.
Wolf-==-

> In fact, I find it doubtful if any common
> home/small-office printer could have any advantage from USB2 (USB
> HighSpeed).

0
wolfb
9/20/2003 4:13:03 PM
wolfb wrote:

>I'm not sure that is true.  If you have a USB2 connection you will be able
>to transfer data at around 420kps around 4 times faster than USB1.  I have
>my Canon i560 hooked up with a parallel cable and it takes about 2.5 mins
>from start to finish to print out a 4x6.  The claim is 50 sec with USB2.  So
>that works out about right.

Sheesh...if it's taking 2.5 minutes, then you're not using the default
settings. Most likely you're using the High print quality settings, or
you're computer is VERY busy processing something else in the background
while printing the photos.

My Canon i850 is on a parallel port and it prints a 4x6 photo is less
than 60 seconds, and a full 8.5x11 page in less than 2 minutes. A friend
has a Canon i550 on a USB v1.1 port and it prints just as fast.

>> In fact, I find it doubtful if any common
>> home/small-office printer could have any advantage from USB2 (USB
>> HighSpeed).

Quite correct...inkjet printers are slower than the connection ports.
0
Bill
9/20/2003 4:39:25 PM
Bill schrieb:

> Sheesh...if it's taking 2.5 minutes, then you're not using the default
> settings. Most likely you're using the High print quality settings, or
> you're computer is VERY busy processing something else in the background
> while printing the photos.

Maybe the parallel port is not used in ECP mode, but in compatible mode?
I suggest to check the BIOS settings.

Regards,
Gerhard

0
Gerhard
9/20/2003 6:46:50 PM
In article <vmov5bhk7uqib0@corp.supernews.com>, mercwold@soli.inav.net
says...
> I'm not sure that is true.  If you have a USB2 connection you will be able
> to transfer data at around 420kps around 4 times faster than USB1.  I have
> my Canon i560 hooked up with a parallel cable and it takes about 2.5 mins
> from start to finish to print out a 4x6.  The claim is 50 sec with USB2.  So
> that works out about right.

  USB1 maxes out at 12Mb/s (1.5Mb/sec for low-speed). USB2 is 480Mb/sec.
That's 40 times faster, not 4.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
9/21/2003 1:09:21 PM
Not that I'm all that concerned about the photo print speed as the regular
web pages and graphics full pages print at an astonishing speed.  My 5x7's
and full size don't seem to take any longer then the 4x6 prints.  I did
notice there is quite a lag till the printer actually kicks in and feeds the
paper though.  How do I check my BIOS settings?  I'm using XP pro.   At any
rate I will get a USB2 card and the proper cable and see if that makes any
difference.  I was kinda of waiting to upgrade my old 500mHz so I wouldn't
have to put anything new into it.

Wolf-==-

"Gerhard Fuernkranz" <nospam456@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Bill schrieb:
>
> > Sheesh...if it's taking 2.5 minutes, then you're not using the default
> > settings. Most likely you're using the High print quality settings, or
> > you're computer is VERY busy processing something else in the background
> > while printing the photos.
>
> Maybe the parallel port is not used in ECP mode, but in compatible mode?
> I suggest to check the BIOS settings.
>
> Regards,
> Gerhard

0
wolfb

USB 2.0 printers and USB 1.0/1.1 computers
I need a new printer, being fed up with the POS Epson 740 I have now. I was considering an HP LaserJet 1012, but noticed it has a USB 2.0 port only. I've got a Rev B iMac with USB 1.0 or maybe (but I doubt it) USB 1.1. I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know. Thanks! > I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 >peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since >you all are a well-infor...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

2 Computers - 1 Printer
Any recommendations for a USB device that allows me to connect two computers to one printer? I have an office with two computers and only one is connected to the printer so I'd like to give computer #2 the same access to said printer. I'm not looking to connect the printer with other boxes on the network, only the two in the one office. One computer is running Win2k while the other is using WinXp Home so USB connectivity shouldn't be an issue, right? Thanks for your advice! On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:09:32 GMT, Spooty <gridironglad@useless.org> wrote: >Any recommendations for a USB device that allows me to connect two >computers to one printer? > >I have an office with two computers and only one is connected to the >printer so I'd like to give computer #2 the same access to said >printer. I'm not looking to connect the printer with other boxes on >the network, only the two in the one office. > >One computer is running Win2k while the other is using WinXp Home so >USB connectivity shouldn't be an issue, right? > >Thanks for your advice! Connect the computers. -- Hecate Hecate@newsguy.com veni, vidi, reliqui oN THE XP MACHINE GO TO HELP AND SUPPORT AND TYPE IN "SHARE PRINTER" "Spooty" <gridironglad@useless.org> wrote in message news:k9rld09rihvhhu27hr5e8to9tbbkd7v8c6@4ax.com... > Any recommendations for a USB device that allows me to conn...

USB Port on HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer... Only USB 1.1?
Hello. I have a HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer. I used its USB port, on the bottom left of the printer, to connect USB 2.0 Flash Sticks/Drives/... It seems to access files very slow. It feels like USB 1.1 speed. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be 2.0 speed? Is there a way to check? I was not able to find this information in my printer manual and on HP's Web site. I tried disconnecting the printer from the computer motherboard's USB port WITH its 2'(?) USB extension cord (printer is on my bookshelf and not close enough to the computer) and connecting the same USB s...

USB 1.1 cable on 2.0 printer?
Hello. Just ordered a Canon i560 printer; the specs say it has a USB 2.0 interface. I have some USB 1.1 cables floating around; can I use them on the 2.0 interface? Any signal integrity issues? Thanks! If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me. Do not add me to any MicroSoft address book; I do not want your viruses. I track and report spam; do not send me junk mail. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound boards can be obtained from: http://www.landfield.com/faqs/PCsoundcards/ http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~mccreary/tbeach/faq.html http://www.pasteur.fr/infosci/FAQ/PCsoundcards/ http://faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No physical difference between what's termed a 1.1 cable and a 2.0 cable. Cari www.coribright.com <TowXWang@umich.edu> wrote in message news:HkDgb.3315$H91.75519@news.itd.umich.edu... > Hello. > > Just ordered a Canon i560 printer; the specs say it has a USB 2.0 > interface. I have some USB 1.1 cables floating around; can I use them on > the 2.0 interface? Any signal integrity issues? > > Thanks! > > > > If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me. > Do not add me to any MicroSoft ad...

USB 1 with USB 2 external USB devices?
I notice some hardware (scanners, printers...) are advertised as having USB 2. I have a flat-panel iMac with USB 1. Is it possible to plug in a USB 2 device to one of my USB ports? Would it work (though presumably not as fast as if plugged into a USB 2 port? Alternatively, can the USB 1 be swapped out for a new USB 2 thingy? At all? Easily??? If these are silly questions, my apologies. I'm a non-techie throwback to the old SCSI days, and USB/Firewire leave me bamboozled, but I don't want to buy gear that won't work with my machine (and I don't have the funds to replace t...

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
Dear all, Could I use a win32 function to get the USB port is suport USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? I want to write a program to access the USB devices and show them is in the USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. Could everyone help me to find the function call? Or where I can find any relative information? Thanks. ---Ted Hi, Well, removable ms-dos devices such as USBs can be accessed through the \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive#. Call the API QueryDosDevice(), and get a list of all existing MS-DOS device names. You can also use the function DefineDosDevice() to define the device name as well. That said, whe...

What specification usb is in sgi 320 usb 1 or usb 2
looking at device connection using usb iceclown wrote: > looking at device connection using usb The SGI320 is too old for USB2. It has USB1 ports, which are not fully compatible with all USB devices... Better get an USB or USB2 PCI card... Benjamin thanks, come to think of it the fact it doesn't mention specification of usb port indicates early version ...

how can you tell if you have usb 1.1 or usb 2
How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? "Laura" <handl@mts.net> wrote in message news:e0ddcf8.0407291201.1dc73116@posting.google.com... > > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a > usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Then right click on the USB hub(s) and click Properties. Another way is to plug in a known USB 2.0 device into the port. The system will pop a warning if the port is USB 1.1. dk "Laura" > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you ...

HP PSC1210 USB 1.1 or USB 2?
Hi all, is this printer USB 1.1 or USB 2?? Everywhere I go to find this out, it only tells me its USB Which doesnt tell me a hell of a lot lol. Any info appreciated Cheers From the truly sketchy information on the HP web site, I would have to guess that the PSC1210 supports USB 1.1 and takes advantage of the higher throughput of USB 2.0. HP supports the product (drivers, etc) running with Windows 98, which, for all intents and purposes, knows nothing about USB 2.0... Ben Myers On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:19:08 +1300, "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote: >Hi all, is t...

Question: USB 1.1 vs. USB 2.0
I know that USB 2.0 is much faster than USB 1.1, but I'm wondering if there is a way to distinguish between the cables for the two. The connectors can look identical; is there some other way of determining if the cable I have is 1.1. or 2.0? Or is there a difference? Thanks for your help. On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:16:46 -0500, Preacher wrote (in article <1i2f31u.1icj5no1utlq1cN%nono@way.com>): > I know that USB 2.0 is much faster than USB 1.1, but I'm wondering if > there is a way to distinguish between the cables for the two. The > connectors can look identica...

USB 2.0 device assigned as USB 1.1
I am using RH7.3 (sort of a need so upgrading may be an issue) I have a USB 2.0 PCI card which gets recognized properly. When I plug in a USB 2.0 scanner, the scanner falls back to a USB 1.1 on the card. I cant seem to find anything regarding how to resolve this. I found a similar post (below) - but it was inconclusive. Any suggestions? (other than upgrade) Thanks cgmckeever cat /proc/bus/usb/devices ########### here is the 2.0 entry ################## T: Bus=03 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 5 B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hu...

USB printer #2
Hi there I have an all in one HP 1210 printer/scanner/copier. It's connected to a USB port to the computer. I have now attached the printer to a print server. What happens is that in one of the computer that used to use the printer, the printer does not appear as an available printer, as soon as I disconnect the USB cable from the computer to the printer. The driver is installed on the computer, but the problem is that now I do not see the printer as available. Strangely this thing only happens to one computer , all the others are working fine, ie I do not know if there is a setting on the USB port that should be changed allowing me to see the printer even when it's not connected to the PC. Well I am in deep water, please help. Paky Did you try completely uninstalling it from the PC in question and rebooting the PC? Also see Bruce Sanderson's article at: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm -- Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP "paky" <paky@paonessa.net> wrote in message news:1113942134.672330.91010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi there I have an all in one HP 1210 printer/scanner/copier. It's > connected to a USB port to the computer. I have now attached the > printer to a print server. What happens is that in one of the computer > that used to use the printer, the printer does not appear as an ...

USB Printer #2
I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that USB printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section written some time ago. Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050 has been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked under linux. thanks On 06/24/2010 16:43, neil wrote: > I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that USB > printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section > written some time ago. In general, usb printers work fine under FreeBSD, as long as there are a open source driver for the printer. Note: binary-only Linux drivers does NOT work in FreeBSD. > Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050 has > been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked > under linux. Don't know this one. In general, openprinting.org is the place to check for any signs of trouble. -- Torfinn Ingolfsen, Norway neil <invalid@invalid.net> wrote: > I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that USB > printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section > written some time ago. > > Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050 has > been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked > under linux. openprinting.org says Gutenprint supports it. ...

Multiple USB 1.1 devices in USB 2 Hub speed ?
Hi, If I have a number of USB 1.1 devices plugged into a USB 2 Hub, can I get the full 12MB/s of each USB 1.1 device via the USB 2 link to a host ? Or does the USB 2 link fall back to a 1.1 compatible mode ? I am also looking for a Mini USB IP67 bulkhead connector. So far I have found something from Samtec, Bulgin and the mil circular D38999 series, but all these options are very bulky. If I can get a similar sized connector that can take through 2 or 3 USB links, then it will not be so bad. Regards Anton Erasmus On Jul 16, 12:07 pm, Anton Erasmus <nob...@spam.prevent.net> wrote:...

Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1
I have two generic 4-port USB hubs that are supposed to be USB 2.0 compliant. The older one is fine, works as advertised. Meanwhile the newer one sometimes shows up under the USB 2.0 root hub (i.e. "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"), or usually it shows up under the slower "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" (USB 1.1). My motherboard (Asus M2NPV-VM) USB ports are all USB 2.0 compliant, and they individually auto-detect whether they need to switch down to USB 1.1 speeds. I'm using a Microsoft tool called UVCView under Windows XP to display the det...

USB 2.0 Device compatible to USB 1.1 port?
Dear all, I'm interested in purchasing a new scanner, but my computer does not have the newer USB 2.0 ports in the back, only the 1.1 ports. Can I safely hook up a scanner that has USB 2.0 output? Thanks! "Bogrod" <bo130@excite.com> wrote in message news:452bc0dc.0312090809.60f1cfdd@posting.google.com... > Dear all, > > I'm interested in purchasing a new scanner, but my computer does > not have the newer USB 2.0 ports in the back, only the 1.1 ports. Can > I safely hook up a scanner that has USB 2.0 output? Thanks! Yes, th...

How to tell USB 1 or USB 2?
How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2? Thanks, Anthony In article <f0a79190.0402251052.2265babc@posting.google.com>, anthony <ajc1961@yahoo.com> wrote: > How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2? Run the System Profiler application. Click USB, then USB Bus. If it saya "Up to 12 Mb/sec," you have USB 1.1. If it's something higher than that, it's USB 2. (As I don't have USB 2, I'm not positive of the USB 2 speed figure, but I believe it's 480Mbps.) -- Garner R. Miller Manchester, CT =USA= ...

USB printers, do they show up when USB unplugged?
I have a 6100 series HP, and it completely disappears when you unplug the USB from my laptop. Is this normal? If I plug it back in, it reinstalls by itself and all is fine. Seems like it should just grey out or go offline when it's unplugged. ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =--- That's as it should be. Windows does not recognize hardware that ain't plugged in. (and often even when it IS plugged in) <dboy@quest.com> wrote in message news:42647826$1_2@127.0.0.1... > I have a 6100 series HP, and it completely disappears when you unplug the USB from my laptop. > Is this normal? If I plug it back in, it reinstalls by itself and all is fine. Seems like it should just grey > out or go offline when it's unplugged. > > > > > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =--- ...

USB printers, do they show up when USB unplugged?
My HP 6100 series disappears when the USB cable is unplugged. It reinstalls itself when plugged back in. Is this normal? I have a laptop running XP. Normal with XP... Ben Myers On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 03:56:36 GMT, <dboy@quest.com> wrote: >My HP 6100 series disappears when the USB cable is unplugged. It reinstalls itself when plugged back in. >Is this normal? I have a laptop running XP. > > ...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seem...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop? Thanks for any suggestions! -mike- <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1119894720.500131.110780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB > Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the > printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer > status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). I believe this is a common problem with printer servers. Before you buy you have to check two things: a) That it supports your printer. b) How well it supports your printer. The lack of support for the "back channel" is quite common. "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:xlXve.131568$Qy4.7039020@phobos.telenet-...

How Do I Know I Have USB 2 or USB In My Computer?
I recently bought a computer and don't have the documentation. It has several USB ports but I don't know if I have USB 2 or USB. I go to Control Panel and Device Manager and it shows that I have USB but doesn't really indicate that I have USB 2. Can I tell by looking at the physical USB to tell I have USB or USB 2? Also in Device Manager it does say USB and has some numbers but nothing that says USB 2. I think the numbers are Universal Host Controler 2442 and 2444. I went to www.usb.org but didn't find anything as basic as mentioning how you can tell what USB ver...

let 1 computer believe that thru USB/serial connector the other one is a HP printer ?
Hello, I have the following problem: I have a linux machine with usb ports. Its a factory machine on which I cannot do anything (nor soft nor hardware changes). The linux machine containes all the HP printer drivers. So connecting an external HP printer thru USB is no problem. Now I want to connect an other computer instead of a printer, so the printout could be directly integrated into a Dbase. I can connect both machines thru a usb/serial adaptor. BUT the print to external printer only works if a external printer is recognised. So when connecting thru USB/serial - there is no '...

Web resources about - USB 2 printer and a USB 1 computer - comp.periphs.printers

Computer Show

Tiny, blurry pictures find the limits of computer image recognition
(credit: Thomas Tolkien ) Computers have started to get really good at visual recognition. They can sometimes rival humans at recognizing the ...

Turn any old, slow computer into a speedy Chromebook with this free software
... get on a new laptop, it's only a matter of time before it begins to slow down. It's an unfortunate fact of life, but just because your computer ...

Google is letting the world use its near-magic technology that helps computers 'see'
... independent apps can pay for the Google Cloud Vision service and benefit from the fruits of Google's labor. Cloud Vision solves a hard computer ...

Hackers could "mousejack" your computer
A security flaw in millions of wireless computer mice could give hackers a way in to steal personal data

Court to FBI: No spying on in-car computers
The FBI and other police agencies may not eavesdrop on conversations inside automobiles equipped with OnStar or similar dashboard computing systems, ...

Wanna convert your old computer into a 'Chromebook'? Read this first
Man I've been "upgrading" an awful lot of old computers lately. It all started last week, when I went to look at my mom's Windows XP system ...

Academics: Computer Science Needs To Be About Feminist Feelings
The research is closely tied to feminist thought and "queer-theory."