USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port

i9900 printer works  by USB connection.  A USB 2.0 cable  was connected from
the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any
problem printing images.

Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0  hub (Ultra from RadioShack).  The
Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet.
With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well.

But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it  prints
only a half an inch of images.  But the cable was connect to a USB port in
the tower, it starts to print pictures.      It seems that color printer
does not work with USB ports in hubs.     Does anybody have similar
experience?   Craig

0
Criag

Criag wrote:
> i9900 printer works  by USB connection.  A USB 2.0 cable  was connected from
> the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any
> problem printing images.
>
> Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0  hub (Ultra from RadioShack).  The
> Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet.
> With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well.
>
> But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it  prints
> only a half an inch of images.  But the cable was connect to a USB port in
> the tower, it starts to print pictures.      It seems that color printer
> does not work with USB ports in hubs.     Does anybody have similar
> experience?   Craig

Are you still using the same instance of the print driver as when it was
connected directly to the tower?

  I recommend deleting the printer, and then reattaching it via the hub
and see if (I assume) windows, reinstalls the printer.
  I would also detach the hub and make sure it is recognized
independently by windows, before adding the printer in the mix.
  USB ports and XP can get kinda funny. I personally would run the
printer directly from the tower, and only use the hub for less demanding
USB peripherals.
0
ISO
10/3/2006 6:22:23 PM
Thank you  �oddoM,

>I personally would run the printer directly from the tower, and only use
>the hub for less demanding USB peripherals.

That's the way I am doing now.

Regards,

Craig

"M�n�ig�or �oddoM" <Bottomsup@mekahineyho.com> wrote in message
> Criag wrote:
>> i9900 printer works  by USB connection.  A USB 2.0 cable  was connected
>> from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not
>> have any problem printing images.
>>
>> Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0  hub (Ultra from RadioShack).
>> The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet.
>> With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well.
>>
>> But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it  prints
>> only a half an inch of images.  But the cable was connect to a USB port
>> in the tower, it starts to print pictures.      It seems that color
>> printer does not work with USB ports in hubs.     Does anybody have
>> similar experience?   Craig
>>

> Are you still using the same instance of the print driver as when it was
> connected directly to the tower?
>
>  I recommend deleting the printer, and then reattaching it via the hub and
> see if (I assume) windows, reinstalls the printer.
>  I would also detach the hub and make sure it is recognized independently
> by windows, before adding the printer in the mix.
>  USB ports and XP can get kinda funny. I personally would run the printer
> directly from the tower, and only use the hub for less demanding USB
> peripherals.

0
Criag
10/3/2006 7:37:16 PM
"Criag" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you  �oddoM,
>
>>I personally would run the printer directly from the tower, and only use
>>the hub for less demanding USB peripherals.
>
> That's the way I am doing now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig
>

> "M�n�ig�or �oddoM" <Bottomsup@mekahineyho.com> wrote in message
>> Criag wrote:
>>> i9900 printer works  by USB connection.  A USB 2.0 cable  was connected
>>> from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not
>>> have any problem printing images.
>>>
>>> Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0  hub (Ultra from RadioShack).
>>> The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet.
>>> With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well.
>>>
>>> But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it  prints
>>> only a half an inch of images.  But the cable was connect to a USB port
>>> in the tower, it starts to print pictures.      It seems that color
>>> printer does not work with USB ports in hubs.     Does anybody have
>>> similar experience?   Craig
>>>

>> Are you still using the same instance of the print driver as when it was
>> connected directly to the tower?
>>
>>  I recommend deleting the printer, and then reattaching it via the hub
>> and see if (I assume) windows, reinstalls the printer.
>>  I would also detach the hub and make sure it is recognized independently
>> by windows, before adding the printer in the mix.
>>  USB ports and XP can get kinda funny. I personally would run the printer
>> directly from the tower, and only use the hub for less demanding USB
>> peripherals.

Some peripherals just don't "like" being connected through hubs. My scanner
is one such device.

0
Ron
10/3/2006 8:20:48 PM
"Ron P" <nospam@kwic.com> wrote in message

> Some peripherals just don't "like" being connected through hubs. My
> scanner is one such device.

That's why I had a problem with my HP scanner.
I might connect the cable directly to the tower.

But the instruction comes with hub does not mention this kind of the
problems.

Craig

0
Criag
10/3/2006 8:27:01 PM

> "Ron P" <nospam@kwic.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Some peripherals just don't "like" being connected through hubs. My
>> scanner is one such device.
>
> That's why I had a problem with my HP scanner.
> I might connect the cable directly to the tower.
>
> But the instruction comes with hub does not mention this kind of the
> problems.
>
> Craig

The manufacturers of USB hubs would like you to believe that everything will
work through them but sadly, that just isn't the case.

0
Ron
10/4/2006 2:19:19 PM
How about class action suit against those hub manufacturers?
Craig

> "Criag" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ron P" <nospam@kwic.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Some peripherals just don't "like" being connected through hubs. My
>>> scanner is one such device.
>>
>> That's why I had a problem with my HP scanner.
>> I might connect the cable directly to the tower.
>>
>> But the instruction comes with hub does not mention this kind of the
>> problems.
>>
>> Craig
>
> The manufacturers of USB hubs would like you to believe that everything
> will work through them but sadly, that just isn't the case.

0
Criag
10/4/2006 2:50:05 PM
Criag wrote:
> How about class action suit against those hub manufacturers?
> Craig
>

> "Ron P" <nospam@kwic.com> wrote in message
>> "Criag" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Ron P" <nospam@kwic.com> wrote in message
>>> That's why I had a problem with my HP scanner.
>>> I might connect the cable directly to the tower.
>>>
>>> But the instruction comes with hub does not mention this kind of the
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Craig
>> The manufacturers of USB hubs would like you to believe that everything
>> will work through them but sadly, that just isn't the case.

I am willing to bet they have a disclaimer somewhere, in teeny tiny
print (Probably not from a printer not connected to their hub;)
I have worked with a few different USB hubs in a corporate setting.
Some genius gets it to work in the lab for a day or two, then orders
five hundred cuz it will solve an issue. Ended up with 10x more support
calls than they were trying to fix. ERRRRRRRRRRG.
0
ISO
10/4/2006 3:36:00 PM
Actually, in the US, hubs are rather cheap.  I understand that almost
everybody buys and uses  USB hubs.
It sounds that power connected hubs would work with almost every gadgets
under the sun.
But I have never heard that the use of hubs had a limited application.

In fact, I spent a week with my i9900 printer with USB cable, blaming the
whole problem on the printer driver.
I repeatedly installed and uninstalled the printer driver to fix the
problem.  I wish that  I knew that printer or scanner won't work via a hub
port.
What a waste of  time for such a silly matter.   Craig

> Criag wrote:
>> How about class action suit against those hub manufacturers?
>> Craig
>>

>> "Ron P" <nospam@kwic.com> wrote in message
>>> "Criag" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The manufacturers of USB hubs would like you to believe that everything
>>> will work through them but sadly, that just isn't the case.
>>

> I am willing to bet they have a disclaimer somewhere, in teeny tiny print
> (Probably not from a printer not connected to their hub;)
> I have worked with a few different USB hubs in a corporate setting.
> Some genius gets it to work in the lab for a day or two, then orders five
> hundred cuz it will solve an issue. Ended up with 10x more support calls
> than they were trying to fix. ERRRRRRRRRRG.

0
Criag
10/4/2006 4:06:40 PM
Criag wrote:
> Actually, in the US, hubs are rather cheap.  I understand that almost
> everybody buys and uses  USB hubs.
> It sounds that power connected hubs would work with almost every gadgets
> under the sun.
> But I have never heard that the use of hubs had a limited application.
>
> In fact, I spent a week with my i9900 printer with USB cable, blaming the
> whole problem on the printer driver.
> I repeatedly installed and uninstalled the printer driver to fix the
> problem.  I wish that  I knew that printer or scanner won't work via a hub
> port.
> What a waste of  time for such a silly matter.   Craig

This is what you get for using a generic relabeled hub. You should only
use genuine original hubs. Wilhelm has tested them extensively and he
should know. Real hubs don't fade on exposure to ultraviolet light. They
also don't wilt after sex with "that woman."

---------------------

Having said that, I bought a hub three or so years ago. It's been
working fine just powered off the computer's puny internal power supply.
However, the hub came with its own power cube -- a large, heavy object
that looks and feels robust. If I experience any throughput problems,
the first thing I'm going to try will be to add in its power supply to
see if this solves the problem.

As I understand it, a hub will usually be different than the dedicated
USB ports built into a computer (or contained on a USB port card). I
noticed that on the card, each port has its own circuitry, chip, etc.,
as well as a dedicated driver. And I think that this is the reason why
you'll find the instructions with many heavier-duty peripherals telling
you to connect them directly to your box. In other words, there's more
"there" there.

Richard
0
Richard
10/4/2006 4:50:28 PM
On the upside, PCI expansion cards that add upwards of 8 USB 2.0 ports
cost under $50-.

After fighting with hubs for way too long I finally sprung for a load
of real ports and haven't looked back since.

Richard Steinfeld wrote:
> Criag wrote:
> > Actually, in the US, hubs are rather cheap.  I understand that almost
> > everybody buys and uses  USB hubs.
> > It sounds that power connected hubs would work with almost every gadgets
> > under the sun.
> > But I have never heard that the use of hubs had a limited application.
> >
> > In fact, I spent a week with my i9900 printer with USB cable, blaming the
> > whole problem on the printer driver.
> > I repeatedly installed and uninstalled the printer driver to fix the
> > problem.  I wish that  I knew that printer or scanner won't work via a hub
> > port.
> > What a waste of  time for such a silly matter.   Craig
> >

> This is what you get for using a generic relabeled hub. You should only
> use genuine original hubs. Wilhelm has tested them extensively and he
> should know. Real hubs don't fade on exposure to ultraviolet light. They
> also don't wilt after sex with "that woman."
>
> ---------------------
>
> Having said that, I bought a hub three or so years ago. It's been
> working fine just powered off the computer's puny internal power supply.
> However, the hub came with its own power cube -- a large, heavy object
> that looks and feels robust. If I experience any throughput problems,
> the first thing I'm going to try will be to add in its power supply to
> see if this solves the problem.
>
> As I understand it, a hub will usually be different than the dedicated
> USB ports built into a computer (or contained on a USB port card). I
> noticed that on the card, each port has its own circuitry, chip, etc.,
> as well as a dedicated driver. And I think that this is the reason why
> you'll find the instructions with many heavier-duty peripherals telling
> you to connect them directly to your box. In other words, there's more
> "there" there.
>
> Richard

0
phreak
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
If the Hubs were of the powered variety you would not have to fight
with them.<br>
phreak wrote:
 cite="mid1163177217.969492.126070@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On the upside, PCI expansion cards that add upwards of 8 USB 2.0 ports
cost under $50-.

After fighting with hubs for way too long I finally sprung for a load
of real ports and haven't looked back since.

Richard Steinfeld wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Criag wrote:
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Actually, in the US, hubs are rather cheap.  I understand that almost
everybody buys and uses  USB hubs.
It sounds that power connected hubs would work with almost every gadgets
under the sun.
But I have never heard that the use of hubs had a limited application.

In fact, I spent a week with my i9900 printer with USB cable, blaming the
whole problem on the printer driver.
I repeatedly installed and uninstalled the printer driver to fix the
problem.  I wish that  I knew that printer or scanner won't work via a hub
port.
What a waste of  time for such a silly matter.   Craig

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">This is what you get for using a generic relabeled hub. You should only
[...]

measekite

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking ...

Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port?
My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem. Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very computer illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don On 12 Jul 2003 20:19:32 GMT, doninwny@aol.com (Don in WNY) wr...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man tha...

Interface to connect a USB printer to a parallel port
USB to Parallel port adaptors are two a penny, but with few Printers now having parallel ports it is getting difficult for us to offer printers to many RISC OS users. Does anyone know of a Parallel port to USB adaptor i.e. a computers parallel port to a printers USB port. I realise that as the adaptor would have to run a USB stack it's not an inconsequential design. I know we can recommend UniPods but for some such as a Siblius user running an A5000 there are a few downsides: cost, memory loss & not a very straight forward setup. We will often try and suggest an upgrade to a RiscPC ...

Connecting to Networked Printer via USB Port
Hi, I'm a consultant at a client site with no access to their network or their printers. I tried to connect directly to one of these networked printers using the USB port on the printer. After loading and installing the printer drivers in my laptop (for a Laserjet 4350dtn), I would get a printing error messagewhen trying to print a document. What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is an installation problem in my laptop, or if what I'm trying to do creates a conflict at the printer level between the network connection and the USB connection. Any input would ...

USB Port on HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer... Only USB 1.1?
Hello. I have a HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer. I used its USB port, on the bottom left of the printer, to connect USB 2.0 Flash Sticks/Drives/... It seems to access files very slow. It feels like USB 1.1 speed. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be 2.0 speed? Is there a way to check? I was not able to find this information in my printer manual and on HP's Web site. I tried disconnecting the printer from the computer motherboard's USB port WITH its 2'(?) USB extension cord (printer is on my bookshelf and not close enough to the computer) and connecting the same USB s...

Epson USB printer tries LPT1 port, can't install it to USB.
A friend has a C84 Epson that she installed incorrectly by accident she had the USB's plugged in "before" installation. She has installed her drivers and printer however now instead of using a USB it is trying to go LPT1. I have tried to uninstall that printer and driver however every time I restart the computer it builds the driver base to the LPT1 by default. I can't stop it rebuilding the incorrect drivers at restart. I have looked Printer/ Properties/Details/Ports Here it has LPT1 in the Print To The Following Port. In the drop down list it has LPT1, File,&a...

HP Laserjet 6L printer connect via USB port?
I have just purchased a new HP Computer, & to my chagrin, it did not contain a parallel printer port. It does contain several USB ports. Am using Windows XP Pro. The printer I have is the HP Laserjet 6L printer that contains only a parallel printer port. Can I connect the printer using a USB to Parallel Printer Cable purchased off the shelf at Frys, or do I need a special HP cable? Also, when setting up the printer using ADD HARDWARE function of XP, do I select the "virtual usb printing" option or the parallel printing option. All info welcomed! Aaron in N. H...

Connecting a USB printer to a laptop's serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial port using a serial/usb adapter? Most adapters I've seen are serial /usb not usb/ serial. I don't think you can go the other way. Terry "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171132.544eecf9@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial > port using a serial/usb adapter? As far as I know there is no adapter to convert a serial port to USB. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "Tom"...

Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port using a USB/serial adapter? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port > using a USB/serial adapter? Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Is it possible to connect a...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seem...

USB printers, do they show up when USB unplugged?
My HP 6100 series disappears when the USB cable is unplugged. It reinstalls itself when plugged back in. Is this normal? I have a laptop running XP. Normal with XP... Ben Myers On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 03:56:36 GMT, <dboy@quest.com> wrote: >My HP 6100 series disappears when the USB cable is unplugged. It reinstalls itself when plugged back in. >Is this normal? I have a laptop running XP. > > ...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seem...

Web resources about - USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port - comp.periphs.printers

Man charged with arson in connection to Gowrie drive-by shooting
Canberra man arrested in connection to a drive-by shooting in the city's south last year.

Ritchie Yorke recounts John Lennon, Yoko Ono connection - The Courier-Mail Search Search
IN THE old-school days of rock ’n’ roll journalism, savvy interviewers got to spend time with interviewees, get to know them, hang out backstage ...

The French connection
A FRENCH-SPEAKING Tasmania is not quite as out-landish a concept as it at first appears, considering we came extremely close to being a French ...

'Who made you Pope?': Donald Trump, Jeb Bush and the Caddyshack connection
The 1980s comedy tells us something about the relationship between Donald Trump and Jeb Bush.

Improved call quality coming to Hangouts for Android via peer-to-peer connection
Improved Hangouts is one of the most common requests from Android users. According to a rumor late last year, Google is working on making it ...

National Journal: Luntz Fails to Disclose Rubio Connection
S.V. Dáte writes at National Journal: "Political junkies who follow Republican messaging guru Frank Luntz know how he felt that Marco Rubio performed ...