USB to Parallel Port?

I just recently purchased a HP laserjet 1012 for a client, and did not pay
attention to the fact that the printer comes with USB connectivity
only...that would be fine, but the client uses NT4, and NT4 does not support
USB..so I was wondering if anyone knows of an adapter which plugs a usb
cable into a parallel port slot adapter? or of any other options or
solutions? I appreciate your help.

Archi3
archi3@spamthisARCHIVENTURE.NET

0
Archi3

Archi3 wrote:

> I just recently purchased a HP laserjet 1012 for a client, and did not pay
> attention to the fact that the printer comes with USB connectivity
> only...that would be fine, but the client uses NT4, and NT4 does not support
> USB..so I was wondering if anyone knows of an adapter which plugs a usb
> cable into a parallel port slot adapter? or of any other options or
> solutions? I appreciate your help.

There are adapters that will allow you to connect a parallel port
printer into a USB port, but not vice-versa.

-WD
0
Will
6/8/2004 4:36:29 PM
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:36:29 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Archi3 wrote:
>
>> I just recently purchased a HP laserjet 1012 for a client, and did not pay
>> attention to the fact that the printer comes with USB connectivity
>> only...that would be fine, but the client uses NT4, and NT4 does not support
>> USB..so I was wondering if anyone knows of an adapter which plugs a usb
>> cable into a parallel port slot adapter? or of any other options or
>> solutions? I appreciate your help.
>
>There are adapters that will allow you to connect a parallel port
>printer into a USB port, but not vice-versa.

and there is a costly mistake for not doing ones homework.

 --

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com
"Archi3" <ias@ezaccess.net> wrote in message news:<40c5d8f3@news.greennet.net>...
> I just recently purchased a HP laserjet 1012 for a client, and did not pay
> attention to the fact that the printer comes with USB connectivity
> only...that would be fine, but the client uses NT4, and NT4 does not support
> USB..so I was wondering if anyone knows of an adapter which plugs a usb
> cable into a parallel port slot adapter? or of any other options or
> solutions? I appreciate your help.

There are USB-Ethernet print servers, (I assume the client is
networked, anyway an ethernet card is dirt cheap if not already).

Otherwise (probably cheaper) you can get USB for NT4
<http://www.bsquare.com/products/usbwin40/faq.asp>. There may be
cheaper ways to do this, that was the first I came on.
0
7ibehx001

Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port?
My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem. Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very computer illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don On 12 Jul 2003 20:19:32 GMT, doninwny@aol.com (Don in WNY) wr...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

Printing: Parallel Port PC to USB Printer Port converter needed
I look for a converter cable which could connect a printer with USB port to a conventional parallel printer port (DB25) on PC or PC-like device. Has anyone such a cable? Where could I get it? http://www.google.com/search?tab=gw&q=usb%20db25&hl=en& 169,000 English pages in 0.37 seconds :-) ...

Parallel printer to USB Computer Port
I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer that only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a parallel port-- just USB. So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP website is no help. It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a perfectly good one... "Charlie Allnut" <null@null> wrote i...

Interface to connect a USB printer to a parallel port
USB to Parallel port adaptors are two a penny, but with few Printers now having parallel ports it is getting difficult for us to offer printers to many RISC OS users. Does anyone know of a Parallel port to USB adaptor i.e. a computers parallel port to a printers USB port. I realise that as the adaptor would have to run a USB stack it's not an inconsequential design. I know we can recommend UniPods but for some such as a Siblius user running an A5000 there are a few downsides: cost, memory loss & not a very straight forward setup. We will often try and suggest an upgrade to a RiscPC ...

Laptop USB to parallel port printer conversion question.
Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated. What do you recommend? On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote: > Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how > troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. > The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port > printer cable ...

Parallel port vs USB port
Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1 port especially in terms of effective printing speed. Thanks, Ray On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:34:07 +0800, in comp.periphs.printers "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote: >Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1 >port especially in terms of effective printing speed. Depends a lot on the printer, as to what is the critical factor in printing throughput. Communications and/or the actual printing process which have a specific speed associated with it to allow the ink to dry on the paper a bit. Epson 1270 parallel vs usb 1.1 about the same. ________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com) http://EdwardGRuf.com [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to the cited author.] In article <31vt8rF3g366pU1@individual.net>, NoSpam-Ray282828 @Yahoo.com.HK says... > Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1 > port especially in terms of effective printing speed. I don't think most any consumer/small-office printer can overload any of them. Some newer printers may support USB 2, but that may be mainly to prevent issues with some USB 2 ports that drop everything down to 1.1 speeds if a slower device is connected. Between USB and parallel, it's mainly a...

USB to PARALLEL (not PARALLEL to USB)
I'm trying to connect a USB printer to a Print Server that only has a Parallel Port. I wouldn't think that combination would be so unique, but can't seem to find them anywhere. I think this cable would have a USB "B" socket plugging into the printer and the other end would be a DB25 Male socket, that plugs into the DB25 Female socket in the back of print server. Can't seem to find any adaptors or gender changers, even wireless options to accomplish this and really, really don't want to trash the print server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

USB port adapter -> Multi USB ports existing ? Extending number of USB ports possible ?
Unfortunately my notebook has only ONE USB port. Is there something like an USB port adapter which I can plug in into the one available USB port and which offers at the other side multiple USB ports ? Something like a simple, portable USB hub ? Tom [ excessive crossposting trimmed ] ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.] On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:17:11 +0100, Thomas Jerkins staggered into the Black Sun and said: > Unfortunately my notebook has only ONE USB port. Is there something > like an USB port adapter which I can plug in into the one available > USB ...

Parallel port control with USB->Parallel converter
Hi, I want to control some motors using the parallel port.. however, my laptop does not have any parallel ports (very few do). What I do have is a USB->Parallel converter... I thought about using PyParallel, but the USB->Parallel converter doesn't actually map to the LPT port .. and PyParallel only looks for LPT ports? Has anyone tried doing this? What are my options for controlling parallel connections on a laptop with no parallel port? I also thought about controlling the USB natively.. but since I dont have any instructions on how to do this with my Velleman USB->Parallel...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it. ...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

new laptop with parallel port for a parallel dot matrix printer?
Hi, I have to help a friend of mine to move from an old desktop (with win95 and a legacy program that have to print multiple-copy chemical forms with condensed ascii cha on an old dot-matrix 136-columns Brothers printer) to a new laptop (he doesn't want to buy an used one). The legacy program works in any environment from DOS to winXP - the only issue is that it pretend to access the printer on LPT1. Implementing the trick of the usb-to-centronic adapter and automapping the shared printer as LPT1 worked for simple instraction like dir > LPT1 but result in error when I tried to acces...

can USB ports operate exactly like parallel ports with an adaptor?
Does anyone know if DCC works from parallel port to USB port with a parallel-to-USB adaptor? Cheaper to add a USB card and have extra slots pensioner wrote: > Does anyone know if DCC works from parallel port to USB port with a > parallel-to-USB adaptor? > ...

How to set (and reset) pins of parallel port of a usb-to-parallel device with Linux?
Hi All: I need to interface my computer to a digital circuit and I'm needing to control (reading, setting and resetting) the pins of a usb-to-parallel port device that uses usblp kernel module (kernel 2.6.21). After googling around I did not figure out how to do it. How can I do that? Is there any ioctl()'s call ? Or some way to get an address to use outb() and inb() ?? Thanks a lot in advance. Lucas Brasilino brasilino@yahoo.com schrieb: > Hi All: > > I need to interface my computer to a digital circuit and I'm needing > to control (reading, s...

USB Port on HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer... Only USB 1.1?
Hello. I have a HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer. I used its USB port, on the bottom left of the printer, to connect USB 2.0 Flash Sticks/Drives/... It seems to access files very slow. It feels like USB 1.1 speed. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be 2.0 speed? Is there a way to check? I was not able to find this information in my printer manual and on HP's Web site. I tried disconnecting the printer from the computer motherboard's USB port WITH its 2'(?) USB extension cord (printer is on my bookshelf and not close enough to the computer) and connecting the same USB s...

parallel port to usb
We have Matlab 6.5.1 version with 25pin parallel port hardware lock. Newer version of Dell Laptops doesn't have 25pin parallel port. How to use the Matlab software in those laptops? Is there any adaptor which converts this 25pin parallel port hardware lock to USB port? ...

USB to Parallel port
You remember about 5 years ago, PC's had serial ports and parallel ports. Right now I've got a laptop and it only has USB. I've been looking around for some sort of adapter device for converting USB to DE9 for serial ports, and also USB to DB25 for parallel ports. All over eBay, there's USB-to-parallel-port adapters that work as follows: There's a converter from USB to RS232 and it has a DE9 plug on the end of it. From there you have a simple adapter that goes from DE9 to DB25. Obviously, since the DB25 has 16 more pins than the DE9, I don't see how this is possible....

Parallel ports and printers
Hi. I'm going to upgrade my notebook soon from one with a parallel port to (likely) one without a parallel port. Here's what I'd like to find out; if anyone has experience with it. I print wirelessly to my printers: | notebook | >> | wireless access point | >> | print server, connected w/cat-5 to the above WAP | >> | my three printer(s), connected via parallel cables to the print server | Two of my three printers are parallel port (only) printers. The way I make the above setup work is to simply install their drivers while physically connected via parallel cable...

Epson USB printer tries LPT1 port, can't install it to USB.
A friend has a C84 Epson that she installed incorrectly by accident she had the USB's plugged in "before" installation. She has installed her drivers and printer however now instead of using a USB it is trying to go LPT1. I have tried to uninstall that printer and driver however every time I restart the computer it builds the driver base to the LPT1 by default. I can't stop it rebuilding the incorrect drivers at restart. I have looked Printer/ Properties/Details/Ports Here it has LPT1 in the Print To The Following Port. In the drop down list it has LPT1, File,& Com Port1 (no USB). I can not get it to install using the USB? I have tried everything from uninstalling everything, trying a new USB cord, uninstalling from Add/Remove, Device Manager, deleted out the LTP1 and Com Ports from the device manager and from the Control Panel. It keeps coming up to LPT1. I don't know much more to try w/ that printer. Can anyone tell how to correct the problem? I know that she had tried to install the USB printer improperly according to the manual if that helps trouble shoot it issue. And that since both USB ports were being used I guess it tried to install to LPT1? Other than that I need someone else to help her install get correctly. Her operating system is a Win98SE. I would bet the problem is that the USB driver for the printer is written for XP and ME only. It really should not make that much of a difference if the printer ...

problem with LPT Device (none printing) on virtual usb parallel port via port replicator
I just recently bought a laptop and it came without a LPT port so I got a USB replicator dock (it includes serial, parralel, etc.). However, it was designed to only allow for printers to connect to it and then in the printing software I would have to select a USB virtual port for the printer. I have other applications (old special CCD Camera) and devices that I want to connect to the parrallel port but the applications do not have the option to connect via Virtual USB port, only LPT1,LPT2,LPT3 or port addresses. So basically my question is: is there any application that will allow me to ...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

problem with LPT Device (none printing) on virtual usb parallel port via port replicator #2
I just recently bought a laptop and it came without a LPT port so I got a USB replicator dock (it includes serial, parralel, etc.). However, it was designed to only allow for printers to connect to it and then in the printing software I would have to select a USB virtual port for the printer. I have other applications (old special CCD Camera) and devices that I want to connect to the parrallel port but the applications do not have the option to connect via Virtual USB port, only LPT1,LPT2,LPT3 or port addresses. So basically my question is: is there any application that will allow me to ...

USB to DB25(printer port)
On my old laptop I had a printer port. I was writing a digatal word to the port.It work find. My new lap top does not have a printer port.So I wanted to use a USB to printer port adaptor. I bought the adaptor and I can't seem to comunicate with the printer port via USB. Thanks for the reply. &nbsp; I'm using the parallel read write in lab examples. The adaport I got showed up as printer support in windows device manager. I believe I need to find an adaptor that has data paths for an eight bit word. Once I find this and it shows up in windows device manager and automation explorer....

Web resources about - USB to Parallel Port? - comp.periphs.printers

Parallel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Explore parallel worlds in Abandoned: The Underground City
... through the scenes, pick up items, and obtain clues. Unlock different locations to explore and search for the secrets behind this hidden, parallel ...

Panasonic Introduced Its Tomato-picking Robot and Parallel Link Robot at International Robot Exhibition ...
Panasonic proposed numerous robotics solutions such as the tomato-picking robot and the parallel link robot at one of the world's largest robot ...

Charting the Parallels Between Rey and Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: The Force Awakens
[SPOILER WARNING: This article discusses plot elements from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Do not [...]

President Obama To CBS News: A Pattern of Mass Shootings With “No Parallel Anywhere Else In The World” ...
... shooting in San Bernardino, saying, “The one thing we do know is that we have pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel ...

Parallels Updates Remote Application Server for PCs, Macs
Parallels Remote Application Server v15 brings Windows applications and desktops to employees on any device, anywhere in the world.

The Rebirth of Parallel I/O
The transition from a dependence on rotating disk to solid-state storage is under way. And as the cost per unit of solid state storage capacity ...

Parallels brings server-based desktop apps to iPhone and Android in first big update since company split ...
No one wants to work on their phone, but sometimes you just have to get something done while on the go. And the latest version of Parallels Remote ...

President Obama Says Pattern of US Mass Shootings Has 'No Parallel' After San Bernardino Shooting
... California Wednesday that left at least 14 dead, saying it continues a disturbing pattern of gun violence in America that has "no parallel." "The ...

GOP memo: Trump's rise has parallels to Willkie campaign
A confidential memo to GOP candidates compares Donald Trump's candidacy to Wendell Willkie's.