Using a USB only printer on a system without USB

Is it possible to add USB to a PII so I can use a USB only printer?

0
GeoBrookes

fit a USB2 PCI card, you can get 2 or 4 port options

<GeoBrookes@spam.blocked> wrote in message

> Is it possible to add USB to a PII so I can use a USB only printer?

0
Clanger
12/7/2003 11:46:41 AM
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:46:41 -0000, "Clanger"
<D231@sidfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>fit a USB2 PCI card, you can get 2 or 4 port options

You need Win98 too.

><GeoBrookes@spam.blocked> wrote in message
>>
>> Is it possible to add USB to a PII so I can use a USB only printer?

0
Gary
12/7/2003 2:46:07 PM
In article <f9p5tv0grqu6tiunh89n15js8uepd9enfd@4ax.com>,
GeoBrookes@spam.blocked says...

> Is it possible to add USB to a PII so I can use a USB only printer?

  There are adapters that let you run a parallel port printer off of a USB
port, but NOT the other way around.

  Your only option would be to buy a cheap USB card, assuming this is a
desktop computer. If it's a laptop, I don't know if there could be a PC
Card adapter? Also, you must be running Win98, ME, 2000, XP or 2003 to
support USB. NT and 95 have *NO* USB support at all. 95B sort-of has
support, but many drivers will NOT work with it.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
12/7/2003 3:47:23 PM
Gary Tait wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:46:41 -0000, "Clanger"
> <D231@sidfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >fit a USB2 PCI card, you can get 2 or 4 port options
> >

> You need Win98 too.

Or OS/2.
0
Michael
12/7/2003 7:40:08 PM
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:40:08 GMT, Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote:

>Gary Tait wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:46:41 -0000, "Clanger"
>> <D231@sidfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >fit a USB2 PCI card, you can get 2 or 4 port options
>> >

>> You need Win98 too.
>
>Or OS/2.

But are there OS/2 drivers for the printer? My i320 only says
Win98/ME/2000/XP.

0
Gary
12/8/2003 4:03:07 PM
Gary Tait wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:40:08 GMT, Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote:
>
> >Gary Tait wrote:

> >> You need Win98 too.
> >
> >Or OS/2.
>
> But are there OS/2 drivers for the printer? My i320 only says
> Win98/ME/2000/XP.

That's because few apps ship with OS/2 drivers; Win is "in", it seems.
My Epson C80 came with a lovely software CD ... which contained only Win
stuff.  Totally useless to us OS/2 users.  But we can grab drivers from
an IBM site.

Surely the Epson-supplied CD isn't full; surely a few kb of OS/2 drivers
would have fit on it too.  Weirdness!
0
Michael
12/9/2003 6:50:31 PM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:50:31 GMT, Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote:

>Gary Tait wrote:

>> >Or OS/2.
>>
>> But are there OS/2 drivers for the printer? My i320 only says
>> Win98/ME/2000/XP.
>
>That's because few apps ship with OS/2 drivers; Win is "in", it seems.
>My Epson C80 came with a lovely software CD ... which contained only Win
>stuff.  Totally useless to us OS/2 users.  But we can grab drivers from
>an IBM site.
>
>Surely the Epson-supplied CD isn't full; surely a few kb of OS/2 drivers
>would have fit on it too.  Weirdness!

My thinking is Epson does not write those drivers, IBM does, so Epson
has no right to include them on their CD.
0
Gary

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seem...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop? Thanks for any suggestions! -mike- <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1119894720.500131.110780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB > Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the > printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer > status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). I believe this is a common problem with printer servers. Before you buy you have to check two things: a) That it supports your printer. b) How well it supports your printer. The lack of support for the "back channel" is quite common. "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:xlXve.131568$Qy4.7039020@phobos.telenet-...

USB printers, do they show up when USB unplugged?
My HP 6100 series disappears when the USB cable is unplugged. It reinstalls itself when plugged back in. Is this normal? I have a laptop running XP. Normal with XP... Ben Myers On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 03:56:36 GMT, <dboy@quest.com> wrote: >My HP 6100 series disappears when the USB cable is unplugged. It reinstalls itself when plugged back in. >Is this normal? I have a laptop running XP. > > ...

USB printers, do they show up when USB unplugged?
I have a 6100 series HP, and it completely disappears when you unplug the USB from my laptop. Is this normal? If I plug it back in, it reinstalls by itself and all is fine. Seems like it should just grey out or go offline when it's unplugged. ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =--- That's as it should be. Windows does not recognize hardware that ain't plugged in. (and often even when it IS plugged in) <dboy@quest.com> wrote in message news:42647826$1_2@127.0.0.1... > I have a 6100 series HP, and it completely disappears when you unplug the USB from my laptop. > Is this normal? If I plug it back in, it reinstalls by itself and all is fine. Seems like it should just grey > out or go offline when it's unplugged. > > > > > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =--- ...

Can a USB port used by a printer be used for a scanner?
I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the scanner after installing the software In principle, yes, you can do that. However, some devices will only work with root ports (motherboard ports) and won't work on a hub port. And a particular product's drivers might behave in an unconventional way that, for that device, prohibited a mode of operation t...

USB 2 printer and a USB 1 computer
Hi, I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2 interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause problems ? Ton -- Computer museum tonh: http://www.tonh.net GGGallery website generator: http://www.tonh.net/gggallery - Added a PDP 8 On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:31:36 +0200, "Ton den Hartog" <tonh@xs4all.nl> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a computer with USB 1 and want to buy a printer with a USB 2 >interface. I also have a couple of other USB 1 devices. Does this cause >problems ? > Most USB 2 devi...

Two USB printers on a USB print server
I have two USB printers, connected to the PC through a USB hub. I want to make the printers available to the other computers in the LAN, so I thought about buying a USB print server, and still use the hub. But I am concerned about the ability of a single-USB-port print server to deal with more than one USB device through the USB hub. I have the suspicion that not all the print servers handle this correctly. Do you know anything about which print servers are able to do what (if doable)? Thanks in advance _x. -- Only one "o" in my address. Xavier Llobet wrote: > I have two USB printers, connected to the PC through a USB hub. I want > to make the printers available to the other computers in the LAN, so I > thought about buying a USB print server, and still use the hub. But I am > concerned about the ability of a single-USB-port print server to deal > with more than one USB device through the USB hub. I have the suspicion > that not all the print servers handle this correctly. > > Do you know anything about which print servers are able to do what (if > doable)? > > Thanks in advance > > _x. > I have a D-Link DP-300U with 2 parallel ports and one usb. D-Link warns against connecting anything other than a printer to the usb port ... but no further explanation. Not wishing to kill my print server, I followed their advice. For sure, I would use a hub having its own power supply to avoid burning down the print ser...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port?
My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem. Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very computer illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don On 12 Jul 2003 20:19:32 GMT, doninwny@aol.com (Don in WNY) wr...

Psion 3a 3Link printer cable to usb printer
Hi Is it possible to print directly from my recently acquired Psion 3a by connecting it to a USB only printer? (Canon i350). If yes, what kind of adapter should I buy? I have a Psion 3 Link Parallel Printer Interface cable. Also, how does it work printing from a Psion? Is it done through Windows? Do you have to put some kind of Printer Driver onto the Psion? Thanks Evi Evi wrote: > Hi > Is it possible to print directly from my recently acquired Psion 3a by > connecting it to a USB only printer? (Canon i350). Sorry, can't be done If yes, what kind of &g...

Can USB print server damage a USB printer
I ran into a strange problem with a Linksys PSUS4 USB print server. Its been connected to a Canon 6550 multifunction printer for months and suddenly it stopped working after someone tried to print to the Canon using the wrong printer driver. After going through the print servers admin utliity to check its status I found everything to be normal. It even claimed the printer was online and idle but when I would try to print it would fail. Even the Test Page sent from the print servers admin utility would fail. I tried resetting the printer server using the little reset button. Also unplug...

USB printer
I have an Epson Stylus CX3650 all-in-one printer/scanner/color-copier. I got the scanning function to work somehow with the sane development version. But I have not yet found out how to print. When I turn on the printer, the /dev/ulpt0 and /dev/unlpt0 devices appear. After an "echo test >/dev/ulpt0", the printer makes some noises, but won't print. The same happens when I feed the sample postscript file given in the FreeBSD handbook's printing section to /dev/ulpt0. When using unlpt0 instead of ulpt0, the printer does nothing at all. It seems that the print...

USB printer
Is their any likelihood a USB only printer will work with the Unipod card on my RPC? I've been offered a laser one for free but this involves a journey to pick it up so I'd like there to be some chance of it working. -- *Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4ff234d3a7dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > Is their any likelihood a USB only printer will work with the > Unipod ca...

USB Printers
Is there a way to have Clipper apps recognize USB printers in Windows XP? -- Use our news server 'news.foorum.com' from anywhere. More details at: http://nnrpinfo.go.foorum.com/ No problem. Share the printer, than at a DOS prompt enter the command NET USE LPTn: \myPC\mySharePrinter /PERSISTENT=YES and you can print with clipper to the LPTn port. HTH Klemens "Kippy Cassell" <kcassell@piedmontcsb.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2004622-234734-873678@foorum.com... > > Is there a way to have Clipper apps recognize USB printers in Windows XP? > > -- &g...

How to use USB printer in Win/OS2?
I have an HP DeskJet 882c which I got working under USB in Warp 4 and Warp Connect. I have to use Win/OS2 for Word 6.0c and was wondering if I could somehow just make it print to the USB port. I have to change the cord back to parallel when I want to use it in that mode. It has the correct Win3.1 drivers, just wondering if it is possible. sctvguy@adelphia.net wrote: > I have an HP DeskJet 882c which I got working under USB in Warp 4 and > Warp Connect. I have to use Win/OS2 for Word 6.0c and was wondering > if I could somehow just make it print to the USB port. I have to change...

Usb printer
Just a quick question, is there some type of adapter to connect a usb printer to an old computer that doesn't have any usb ports? Thanks Fordy --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.721 / Virus Database: 477 - Release Date: 16/07/2004 A PCI USB card. -- Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware) www.coribright.com "Fordy" <fordys@westnet.com.au> wrote in message news:412ac362@quokka.wn.com.au... > Just a quick question, is there some type of adapter to connect a usb > printer to an old computer that doesn't have any usb ports? > > Thanks > Fordy > In article <412ac362@quokka.wn.com.au>, fordys@westnet.com.au says... > Just a quick question, is there some type of adapter to connect a usb > printer to an old computer that doesn't have any usb ports? > > Thanks > Fordy In addition to the PCI USB adapter card, you could also consider a USB to parallel adapter cable. These are available via the internet, and local retailer in the USA. I would assume that local retailers in Australia would also carry these cables. Don ...

Using Airport USB printer from Windows?
How can I print from my Windows PC to the USB printer on my airport? I've found surprisingly little info to say if it's even possible. The closet was the link below posted in this n.g. but unfortunately it is no longer valid. (Sure, the obvious answer is replace my windows PC with an apple... Or to set up a shared printer over samba, but both computers are mobile laptops so not always available/on to provide a share. That's why the Airport would provide the ideal solution. -Chad >>For anyone interested, I found the answer here: >> >>http://discussions.i...

Connect Printer using usb AND rj45?
Hi all, Just about to order a new HP All In One Laserjet which has 1 USB port and one Ethernet port. I connect using my laptop to a company VPN and so when this is connected I cannot access printers or shares on my local network as the LAN card's IP is seen as one from the VPN DHCP server (Don't know why, it just does). I do however wish to network the printer so family can use it as well as me when I am not on VPN, but also need it for work documents. To solve this can I connect the printer to my laptop via the USB port and connect it to the router also to allow it to be use...

USB printers
Ik heb 2 usb printers met hetzelfde probleem. de installatie wordt na ongeveer 70% afgebroken met de melding kan het stuurprogramma niet installeren. Ook via de wizzard geprobeerd, krijg dan een "het opgegeven kleurprofiel ongeldig". Uiteraard zonder eerst de printer te hebben aangesloten! Een HP printer LaserJet 5M is zonder problemen te installeren. Wie kan mij uit de problemen helpen? "jbhernamt@wanadoo.nl" <jbhernamt@wanadoo.nl> wrote: >Ik heb 2 usb printers met hetzelfde probleem. de installatie wordt na >ongeveer 70% afgebroken met de melding ...

USB printer
Hi all, It seems someone has had some luck printing from Geos to a USB printer! This is a mail I got from Johannes Moeller. I tried to add here and there an explanation, but I don't know if it's all ok because I don't have an English WIN-version. At the moment I don't have a setup like Johannes, but he mailed me the details, maybe someone can try it? Edward Nijs Here is Johannes: -I take a USB-Printer from hp the HP Deskjet 550 -I have a little tcp-ip-network at home. -All computer run with MS-Windows 98 or 95 or ME. -(I have DSL, but I don't went wi...

usb printer
I'm having a little problem with my usb printer... running debian sid with a smp (and acpi=ht) 2.6.8.1 kernel (and also tested with 2.6.7) on a asus P4P800-E Deluxe: frederic@debianXXX:~$ lspci -v | grep -i usb 0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI]) 0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI]) 0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI]) 0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) U...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

How to use USB printer in DOS program
How can I run a DOS report (running in Windows XP) on a USB (InkJet) printer. Please respond in this forum - email address is fake. Thanks. Mort On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:12:10 -0400, mortmid@bellsouth.net <mortmid@bellsouth.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > How can I run a DOS report (running in Windows XP) on a USB (InkJet) > printer. Please respond in this forum - email address is fake. > Thanks. > > Mort Set the printer to be shared as a network printer, and then at a cmd.exe prompt type: NET USE LPT1: \\computer_name\printer_name /pe...

USB Printer Problem with system reboot
I have an HP psc 2410 Photosmart All in One printer which works perfectly. The problem I am having is when I reboot my computer I have to unplug the USB for the printer in order for my system to boot completely. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening? Its a pain to climb in the floor and unplug the printer each time I need to reboot my machine......:mad: Venissa <Venissa.2xmgwp@no.email.invalid> wrote: > > I have an HP psc 2410 Photosmart All in One printer which works > perfectly. The problem I am having is when I reboot my computer I have > to unplug ...

Web resources about - Using a USB only printer on a system without USB - comp.periphs.printers

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Philips Hue Starter Kit $120, LifeProof FRĒ iPhone 6 Case $30, Brother AirPrint ...
... FRĒ Waterproof iPhone 6 Case in multiple colors: $30 shipped (Reg. $72) Get ready to file your taxes w/ this Brother AirPrint Laser Printer ...

Can you really get a solid all-in-one printer, copier and scanner for just $90?
... Deals team's advice. And in this case, we're going to help you upgrade to the Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, ...

Mattel unveils ThingMaker, a 3D printer for kids
Toy company hopes to make 3D printing mainstream with a new system designed for children

ThingMaker is a $300 3D Printer For Kids That Makes Toys
The two things holding 3D printers back from mainstream adoption is cost and relative difficulty of use. While they have been going down in price, ...