Using both parallel & USB on same printer (Canon ip4000)

I have my Canon ip4000 on my home network with a parallel port print server
appliance.   It works great except that I cannot use the ink monitor
software.

Is there a configuration that would allow me to monitor the ink via the USB
port, but print through the network, without encountering conflicts or print
errors?   How does the printer manage requests coming in on both ports?

The port that I currently have defined in my driver settings is an "LPR"
port.

  - David

0
David

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:04:14 -0400, "David D."
<daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have my Canon ip4000 on my home network with a parallel port print server
>appliance.   It works great except that I cannot use the ink monitor
>software.
>
>Is there a configuration that would allow me to monitor the ink via the USB
>port, but print through the network, without encountering conflicts or print
>errors?   How does the printer manage requests coming in on both ports?
>
>The port that I currently have defined in my driver settings is an "LPR"
>port.
>
>  - David

For the Parallel connection to show results in the ink monitor
software you need to use a bi-directional cable.

KM
0
km
10/20/2004 7:53:43 AM
"David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<bIydnTX3WZQWJOjcRVn-og@comcast.com>...
> Is there a configuration that would allow me to monitor the ink via the USB
> port, but print through the network, without encountering conflicts or print
> errors?   How does the printer manage requests coming in on both ports?

I have a Canon 850, which probably behaves similarly. I connect a
parallel 'LPR' print server, and a USB cable from my main computer
(Win XP), simultaneously. If one interface is printing, the other is
safely locked out producing a 'the printer is in use on another
interface' if I try to use USB while another computer is using the
print server. This handy behaviour is despite the docs saying it's not
supported!

The computer with the USB connection successfully receives ink
statuses, and duplexing 'turn the paper over' messages.

The only thing I could never do was duplex using the print server; the
printer would either print the whole job at once without giving me
chance to turn over, or it would 'stick' after the first half and
never continue. Has anyone ever achieved this? (from Win98 or XP)

--
Chris Yearsley
0
"Chris Yearsley" <google@yearsley.org> wrote in message
> The only thing I could never do was duplex using the print server; the
> printer would either print the whole job at once without giving me
> chance to turn over, or it would 'stick' after the first half and
> never continue. Has anyone ever achieved this? (from Win98 or XP)
>
> --
> Chris Yearsley

Chris,

I have no problem with duplexing with my Canon ip4000.   It is hooked up as
an LPR printer over ethernet to a parallel-port print server appliance.
I can turn duplex on or off either via printer properties, or via Canon's
"Easy Web-Print" browser tool bar.

   - David

0
David
10/21/2004 11:22:17 PM
Does anyone have experience with connecting the iP4000 to an USB print
server? I am using the D-Link DP-301U. When I connect it through this print
server it does not tell me anymore the status of the printer, the ink
levels, and so forth. Duplex and CD/DVD printing goes okay. Should the
printer be able to 'talk back' through the USB print server, or should I
just check the ink level through the transparent tanks from now on? Any
suggestions?

Thanks!
Frans

0
Franzy
10/23/2004 10:37:55 AM
Print server appliances are typically not fully bi-directional.   They seem
to pass back standard error statuses, but not pass through proprietary
printer information.

I am not sure about checking the printer cartridges visually.   You would
have to remove them, and that could break the prime.   Does anyone else out
there have information on this matter?

I, personally, am pursuing a different approach.   My print server appliance
plugs into the printer's parallel port, leaving the printer's USB port free.
So I will run a USB cable from one of the computers directly to the printer,
in order to get ink status.   Other printers will use the ethernet-to-print
server access.   The primary computer will also print over the network as a
secondary access path.   I have not tried this yet, but based on ng
feedback, it is worth a shot.

   - David

"Franzy" <franzy@non.existant> wrote in message
> Does anyone have experience with connecting the iP4000 to an USB print
> server? I am using the D-Link DP-301U. When I connect it through this
print
> server it does not tell me anymore the status of the printer, the ink
> levels, and so forth. Duplex and CD/DVD printing goes okay. Should the
> printer be able to 'talk back' through the USB print server, or should I
> just check the ink level through the transparent tanks from now on? Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Frans

0
David
10/23/2004 12:58:50 PM
David D. wrote:

>I am not sure about checking the printer cartridges visually.   You would
>have to remove them, and that could break the prime.   Does anyone else out
>there have information on this matter?

Simply lifting the lid will give a pretty good idea of how much ink
remains in each ink tank, but a status monitor is nice. :)

>I, personally, am pursuing a different approach.   My print server appliance
>plugs into the printer's parallel port, leaving the printer's USB port free.
>So I will run a USB cable from one of the computers directly to the printer,
>in order to get ink status.   Other printers will use the ethernet-to-print
>server access.   The primary computer will also print over the network as a
>secondary access path.   I have not tried this yet, but based on ng
>feedback, it is worth a shot.

Just remember to install network printer drivers for the networked
printer on each computer that will need to access it, otherwise the
other computers won't "see" the networked printer.

>"Franzy" <franzy@non.existant> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have experience with connecting the iP4000 to an USB print
>> server? I am using the D-Link DP-301U. When I connect it through this
>print
>> server it does not tell me anymore the status of the printer, the ink
>> levels, and so forth.

I'm not sure if a USB print server will pass the info or not. But did
you install network printer drivers?
0
Bill
10/23/2004 3:11:57 PM
"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:8dSdnaN_LLBd6efcRVn-1w@golden.net...
> I'm not sure if a USB print server will pass the info or not. But did
> you install network printer drivers?

No.    I just defined the printers as going to my LPR port.   I thought the
network drivers were for use on a print server host computer, rather than
for a client going to a print server appliance.

  - David

0
David
10/23/2004 8:38:11 PM
> Print server appliances are typically not fully bi-directional.   They
> seem
> to pass back standard error statuses, but not pass through proprietary
> printer information.

I guess that's the case in my situation.

> I am not sure about checking the printer cartridges visually.   You would
> have to remove them, and that could break the prime.   Does anyone else
> out
> there have information on this matter?

It's pretty dark in there too, and I do not feel like taking them out, guess
that does not work either.

> I, personally, am pursuing a different approach.   My print server
> appliance
> plugs into the printer's parallel port, leaving the printer's USB port
> free.
> So I will run a USB cable from one of the computers directly to the
> printer,
> in order to get ink status.   Other printers will use the
> ethernet-to-print
> server access.   The primary computer will also print over the network as
> secondary access path.   I have not tried this yet, but based on ng
> feedback, it is worth a shot.

Does not work for me either since I have a USB print server, so the
printer's USB port is already used. I had the server before I bought the
printer. I am thinking about selling the server and just connect the printer
to a computer again and share it. I have tested it and then you are able to
see the ink level and all the cool error messages like you forgot to open
the output tray, again.

Thanks!
Frans  :-)

0
Franzy
10/24/2004 3:10:15 PM

> Does not work for me either since I have a USB print server, so the
> printer's USB port is already used. I had the server before I bought the
> printer. I am thinking about selling the server and just connect the
printer
> to a computer again and share it. I have tested it and then you are able
> see the ink level and all the cool error messages like you forgot to open
> the output tray, again.
>
> Thanks!
> Frans  :-)

You could try the opposite.  Use the USB for your print server connection,
and the parallel port to the nearest computer to check on the ink.

I don't guarantee that it would work, but if you have a bi-directional
parallel cable lying around, you could try it.

0
David

Re: Using both parallel & USB on same printer (Canon ip4000) Success!
Success! I defined my Canon ip4000 twice -- once as a USB printer; and once as an LPR printer that uses ethernet to a print server appliance to the printer's parallel port. It appears to work fine, with no conflicts. The USB interface is considerably faster, AND it enables me to use the Canon printer monitor software to monitor the ink supply. The LPR interface enables me to use the printer from any computer in the house, albeit without the ink monitoring. For the USB, I am using a 16-foot Belkin USB2 cable (gold contacts; 20-gauge conductors) that I got from amazon.com for $7.95. Because I was going for a long cable, I thought I should buy a high quality cable in order to maximize my chances of success. It works fine with no problems. [No, this is not an ad. I just thought that it might be a success factor]. If your print server appliance uses the printer's USB port, instead, you might want to try the reverse: i.e., connecting the printer's parallel port to a computer's parallel port. Make sure to use a bi-directional parallel cable with all the pins wired. - David "David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:rZydnVp-X-wrd-bcRVn-oQ@comcast.com... > > "Franzy" <franzy@non.existant> wrote in message > news:417bc5d8$0$36860$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl... > > > > Does not work for me either since I have a USB print server, so th...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port?
My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem. Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very computer illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don On 12 Jul 2003 20:19:32 GMT, doninwny@aol.com (Don in WNY) wr...

USB Printer & NET USE with standalone XP PC
I've looked through google without any success THE PROBLEM: I have Windows XP with standalone PC and USB printer. To print with Clipper I have tried this command: NET USE LPT1: \\MyPc\MyUsbPrinter but it fails with various error messages QUESTION: it works only when the PC is connected to a network ???? Any solution for standalone XP PC ????? Thank you Rob Rob, install Microsoft's dummy network device called 'MS Loopback Adapter'. You find it if you 'add new hardware', network card and choose microsoft as manufacturer. Happy Dummy Niccing everyone ;-) Markus ...

Canon Pixma IP4000, when does printer use BCI-3EBK cart ink
As subject Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is selected? Only when draft is selected? Thanks in advance tHatDudeUK wrote: > As subject > > Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is > selected? Only when draft is selected? > > Thanks in advance Normally it uses BCI3e all the time except when printing photos, so when photo or glossy paper is selected. When you print text and business documents with graphics. tHatDudeUK wrote: >As subject > >Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is selected? >Only when draft is selected? > >Thanks in advance > > > > Here is a quick test you can perform. Use a photo with quite a bit of black areas. Open the cover on the printer and use a small screwdriver to hold down the cover interlock so that you can actually see the ink being put on the paper. Print the same photo using different paper modes. The BCI-3 black (pigmented black) is deposited with a much wider path than the BCI-6 black. Note also that the BCI-3 black appears to be used only when in plain paper mode. All other modes use only the BCI-6 black. You will see this when observing the printing operation. The other thing you can do is to wet your fingertip and move it across the edge of the printed area onto the unprinted area. You will see a difference in the amount of ink smearing. -- Ron Cohen...

Using a USB only printer on a system without USB
Is it possible to add USB to a PII so I can use a USB only printer? fit a USB2 PCI card, you can get 2 or 4 port options <GeoBrookes@spam.blocked> wrote in message news:f9p5tv0grqu6tiunh89n15js8uepd9enfd@4ax.com... > > Is it possible to add USB to a PII so I can use a USB only printer? > On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:46:41 -0000, "Clanger" <D231@sidfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: >fit a USB2 PCI card, you can get 2 or 4 port options > > You need Win98 too. ><GeoBrookes@spam.blocked> wrote in message >news:f9p5tv0grqu6...

HPDeskJet 812C printer, can I make 2 direct connections with parallel & USB?
Since nobody has come up with a solution to my Vista printing woes, I'm wondering about an alternate solution. The printer supports both a parallel connection and a USB connection. Is it possible to use both at the same time? Hook the old Win98SE machine up with the parallel cable it's always used, and hook up the Vista computer to the USB port? When I print from the Virtual WinXP machine I can continue to use the Win98SE share, but when I print from Vista I will use the built-in drivers and print via a direct USB connection instead of a network share. Will this solution wo...

HP printer vs. Canon printer

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop? Thanks for any suggestions! -mike- <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1119894720.500131.110780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB > Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the > printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer > status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). I believe this is a common problem with printer servers. Before you buy you have to check two things: a) That it supports your printer. b) How well it supports your printer. The lack of support for the "back channel" is quite common. "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:xlXve.131568$Qy4.7039020@phobos.telenet-...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seem...

Can a USB port used by a printer be used for a scanner?
I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the scanner after installing the software In principle, yes, you can do that. However, some devices will only work with root ports (motherboard ports) and won't work on a hub port. And a particular product's drivers might behave in an unconventional way that, for that device, prohibited a mode of operation t...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD and CD labels with it and have not had a problem. The software that comes with the printer has performed well. Check out the options for re-inking of this machine and you will be pleased with it. I believe that Canon has the same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for Epson, I don't know about Canon. Pipermedic In article pipermedic says... > I believe that Canon has the > same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount > of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for > Epson, I don't know about Canon. > > > Canon carts don't have chips. If you like R300 why not consider R200? Same thing without frills. Definitely Epson R300. But you said: "2. Economy. Although I can get th...

using the printer object, how do I tell what my default printer is
I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings so I'm thinking this will set the prt object to my default printer Dim prt As Printer Set prt = Application.Printers(0) but it doesn't and application.printers.count correct shows that I have eight possible printers so I could cycle through them if there was a prt property for 'default printer' but I can't find one is there a way to do this ? On Nov 9, 5:19=A0pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings > so I'm thinking this will...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

What is a good, cheap, used B&W printer for personal use?
I recently started taking a research course in school which requires me to print out excessive amounts of information. This includes several 20 page articles a day, up to 80 pages of abstracts and such at a time. I generally end up printing out everything at school, because the only printer I have at home is a HP Deskjet 712C, a decent color printer. I don't really want to use that for heavy-duty print jobs, so I'm looking for a old, used, cheap printer on ebay. Does anyone know what would be a good printer that prints black and white decently fast? Also, how much would I ...

When using &quot;Print Report&quot; my default printer changes.
Hello, &nbsp; I have the need to print two different kinds of reports to two different printers depending on which report it is.&nbsp; I use the Office toolkit and wire the correct printer for the report using the "Print Report" tool.&nbsp; However, each time I do this, it changes the default printer in Windows to the printer wired.&nbsp; I don't want to change the default printer just send the report to the specified printer.&nbsp; Is there a work around? Hi The Q, a workaround could be to read first which&nbsp;the default printer is, then print your pag...

Printer Ink

Psion 3a 3Link printer cable to usb printer
Hi Is it possible to print directly from my recently acquired Psion 3a by connecting it to a USB only printer? (Canon i350). If yes, what kind of adapter should I buy? I have a Psion 3 Link Parallel Printer Interface cable. Also, how does it work printing from a Psion? Is it done through Windows? Do you have to put some kind of Printer Driver onto the Psion? Thanks Evi Evi wrote: > Hi > Is it possible to print directly from my recently acquired Psion 3a by > connecting it to a USB only printer? (Canon i350). Sorry, can't be done If yes, what kind of &g...

Web resources about - Using both parallel & USB on same printer (Canon ip4000) - comp.periphs.printers

Parallel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does the opportunity to lead a parallel life online mean we are more likely to cheat?
Here's the bad news: According to some experts, you're more likely to find yourself with a cheating partner these days. &nbsp;

The Best Black Friday Games/Apps Deals: 2Do, MacID, Pixelmator, Infinity Blade, Kingdom Rush, Parallels ...
... Rush Origins: $1 (Reg. $3) iPad: Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD: $3 (Reg. $5) iPad: Kingdom Rush Origins HD: $3 (Reg. $5) Mac Apps: Mac: Parallels ...

Kindle for iOS gets social sharing features, parallel downloads
... it is nevertheless nice to see Amazon take advantage of Apple’s mobile platform through integrating sharing in this way. Kindle for iOS. Parallel ...

Windows 10 on Mac: Boot Camp vs Parallels
... run Windows 10 on a Mac there are really only two options worth considering: a native install using Boot Camp or virtualization through Parallels. ...

"Every year at the holidays, millions of Americans partake in a whole parallel tradition: avoiding the ...
"... that one exhausting relative who treats every event as a chance to assault you with their fringe political ideas, hector you about your ...

Panasonic Introduced Its Tomato-picking Robot and Parallel Link Robot at International Robot Exhibition ...
Panasonic proposed numerous robotics solutions such as the tomato-picking robot and the parallel link robot at one of the world's largest robot ...

Charting the Parallels Between Rey and Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: The Force Awakens
[SPOILER WARNING: This article discusses plot elements from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Do not [...]

‘Brooklyn’ Star Saoirse Ronan On Pic’s Parallels To Her Own Life: “There’s Nothing To Hide Behind”
By age 13, Saoirse (pronounced "seer-shah") Ronan had her first Oscar nomination for her role in the film version of Ian McEwan's bestseller, ...

Parallels Updates Remote Application Server for PCs, Macs
Parallels Remote Application Server v15 brings Windows applications and desktops to employees on any device, anywhere in the world.