Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection)...

Hello.

I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).

She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
think it is since it is just a cable adapter.

When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
find it).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.

Based on
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
.... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.

I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"If I find one beer can in that car, it's over!" --Red; "And no donuts
either! Ants!" --Kitty from That '70s Show pilot
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant

ato_zee@hotmail.com a �crit dans le message
<4704a103$0$8423$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>...

>On  4-Oct-2007, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
>> Bummer. Someone else said Vista doesn't have the driver for this USB to
>> parallel cable. I was surprised that you even need a driver for this! I
>> thought USB and parallel was known by Windows. :(
>
>Vista has dropped support for a lot of printers, mine included.
>Win95, win98, winME, WinXP fine, Vista no support.
>I'll use Linux from now on.
>Can't understand MS$ printer driver philosophy, and
>why they can't do it like Linux, where it seem to be
>the same drivers as years ago.

  Vista will not drive my Epson C70 even though it lists a driver.  I had to
go buy a new printer.
JL

0
Jean
9/28/2007 2:10:31 AM
[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <4703506e$0$32466$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, ANTant@zimage.com
says...
> Hello.
>
> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>
> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>
> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
> find it).
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>
> Based on
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>
> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.

You do need the proper drivers for the USB adapter. I don't know if
Vista recognized it or not and installed drivers from it's own driver
cache, or from Windows Update. I don't see any drivers on Belkin's site.

If the computer is a desktop, the easiest fix is to add a parallel port
PCI card. They are rather cheap. I added a Startech one, and Vista
download the drivers for it.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
10/3/2007 8:51:29 PM
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> > April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> > with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
> >
> > She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> > She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> > think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
> >
> > When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> > printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> > her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
> > find it).
> >
> > http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
> >
> > Based on
> > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
> > ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
> >
> > I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.

> You do need the proper drivers for the USB adapter. I don't know if
> Vista recognized it or not and installed drivers from it's own driver
> cache, or from Windows Update. I don't see any drivers on Belkin's site.

I heard this special USB cable is unsupported in Vista and won't work. I
don't see any drivers either.

> If the computer is a desktop, the easiest fix is to add a parallel port
> PCI card. They are rather cheap. I added a Startech one, and Vista
> download the drivers for it.

Or get a new printer.
--
o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants
| |o   o| |          Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )
0
ANTant
10/3/2007 9:12:42 PM
She doesn't have the 870cse set as default.  Control Panel, Printers....
right click on the HP and click on Set As Default.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Ant" <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>
> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>
> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to find
> it).
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>
> Based on
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>
> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "If I find one beer can in that car, it's over!" --Red; "And no donuts
> either! Ants!" --Kitty from That '70s Show pilot
>    /\___/\
>   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
>  | |o   o| |        Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
>     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
>      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

0
Cari
10/3/2007 10:23:19 PM
I think that the problem is more the printer (actually it's driver), and
Vista, plus trying to use a USB to parallel adapter (which is always
potentially problematic .... some print drivers simply will not work
with one of those).

The right solution here is a new printer.

Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>
> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>
> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
> find it).
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>
> Based on
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>
> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
0
Barry
10/3/2007 11:41:10 PM
Bummer. Someone else said Vista doesn't have the driver for this USB to
parallel cable. I was surprised that you even need a driver for this! I
thought USB and parallel was known by Windows. :(

On 10/3/2007 4:41 PM PT, Barry Watzman typed:

> I think that the problem is more the printer (actually it's driver), and
> Vista, plus trying to use a USB to parallel adapter (which is always
> potentially problematic .... some print drivers simply will not work
> with one of those).
>
> The right solution here is a new printer.
>

> Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer
>> from April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing
>> problem with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>>
>> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number
>> F5U002v1). She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a
>> problem? I don't think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>>
>> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
>> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't
>> have her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how
>> to find it).
>>
>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>>
>> Based on
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
>> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>>
>> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to
>> visit.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of
pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/4/2007 4:09:15 AM
On  4-Oct-2007, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Bummer. Someone else said Vista doesn't have the driver for this USB to
> parallel cable. I was surprised that you even need a driver for this! I
> thought USB and parallel was known by Windows. :(

Vista has dropped support for a lot of printers, mine included.
Win95, win98, winME, WinXP fine, Vista no support.
I'll use Linux from now on.
Can't understand MS$ printer driver philosophy, and
why they can't do it like Linux, where it seem to be
the same drivers as years ago.
0
ato_zee
10/4/2007 8:15:02 AM
Not to defend driver issues and MS products, but supposedly Vista has
the largest "in box" selection of drivers for peripherals of any OS
released by MS.  Check with peripheral manufacturers at their websites also.

Art

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:

> On  4-Oct-2007, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>

>>Bummer. Someone else said Vista doesn't have the driver for this USB to
>>parallel cable. I was surprised that you even need a driver for this! I
>>thought USB and parallel was known by Windows. :(
>

> Vista has dropped support for a lot of printers, mine included.
> Win95, win98, winME, WinXP fine, Vista no support.
> I'll use Linux from now on.
> Can't understand MS$ printer driver philosophy, and
> why they can't do it like Linux, where it seem to be
> the same drivers as years ago.
0
Arthur
10/4/2007 9:56:48 AM
You don't need a driver for the USB to Parallel cable, but the printer
driver has to be able to work with it, and many if not most can't.  I
seem to recall hearing that the HP 8xx deskjet series, EXCEPT for the
895, could not work either over a network or with USB to parallel cables.

Another option here might be to add a true parallel port to the computer.

But really, at this point, a new printer is the RIGHT answer.

Ant wrote:
> Bummer. Someone else said Vista doesn't have the driver for this USB to
> parallel cable. I was surprised that you even need a driver for this! I
> thought USB and parallel was known by Windows. :(
>

> On 10/3/2007 4:41 PM PT, Barry Watzman typed:
>
>> I think that the problem is more the printer (actually it's driver),
>> and Vista, plus trying to use a USB to parallel adapter (which is
>> always potentially problematic .... some print drivers simply will not
>> work with one of those).
>>
>> The right solution here is a new printer.
>>

>> Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer
>>> from April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing
>>> problem with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>>>
>>> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number
>>> F5U002v1). She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a
>>> problem? I don't think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>>>
>>> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to
>>> the printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista
>>> doesn't have her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she
>>> knows how to find it).
>>>
>>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>>>
>>> Based on
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
>>> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>>>
>>> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to
>>> visit.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
0
Barry
10/4/2007 3:07:54 PM
FWIW, some items that are not supposed to work with Vista never the less
do.  I installed the XP drivers for an HP Scanjet 5470/5490 printer in
Vista and it actually worked fine, although both HP and MS say that this
model doesn't work under Vista.

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:
> On  4-Oct-2007, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
>> Bummer. Someone else said Vista doesn't have the driver for this USB to
>> parallel cable. I was surprised that you even need a driver for this! I
>> thought USB and parallel was known by Windows. :(
>
> Vista has dropped support for a lot of printers, mine included.
> Win95, win98, winME, WinXP fine, Vista no support.
> I'll use Linux from now on.
> Can't understand MS$ printer driver philosophy, and
> why they can't do it like Linux, where it seem to be
> the same drivers as years ago.
0
Barry
10/4/2007 3:09:53 PM
On 10/4/2007 8:07 AM PT, Barry Watzman typed:

> You don't need a driver for the USB to Parallel cable, but the printer
> driver has to be able to work with it, and many if not most can't.  I
> seem to recall hearing that the HP 8xx deskjet series, EXCEPT for the
> 895, could not work either over a network or with USB to parallel cables.
>
> Another option here might be to add a true parallel port to the computer.

Does that exist for laptops/notebooks?

> But really, at this point, a new printer is the RIGHT answer.

Yeah. I suggested that since printers are cheap.
--
"When the water rises the fish eat the ants, when the water falls the
ants eat the fish." --Thai Proverb
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/4/2007 3:29:18 PM
HP said the printer is supported and no driver needed.

On 10/4/2007 2:56 AM PT, Arthur Entlich typed:

--
"Oh, good morning, my little worker ants! That's just a figure of
speech; I would NEVER compare you to insects. At least not after that
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/4/2007 3:29:59 PM
In article <47050238$0$28812$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>You don't need a driver for the USB to Parallel cable, but the printer
>driver has to be able to work with it, and many if not most can't.  I
>seem to recall hearing that the HP 8xx deskjet series, EXCEPT for the
>895, could not work either over a network or with USB to parallel cables.

If the USB to parallel adapter installs, it usually shows up (At least with
XP) under Device manager as "USB Printing Support".

Then you just go into the printer driver and tell it to map its output to the
specific USB port that this adapter occupies. I have my old HP LaserJet 5
running on this belkin cable and on a Asus Commando motherboard which lacks
any parallel printer port.

My HP OfficeJet 7310 Multifunction is hooked via 100 BaseT network.

>Another option here might be to add a true parallel port to the computer.
>
>But really, at this point, a new printer is the RIGHT answer.

Or an external wireless or wired printserver that is designed for Vista

>Ant wrote:
>> Bummer. Someone else said Vista doesn't have the driver for this USB to
>> parallel cable. I was surprised that you even need a driver for this! I
>> thought USB and parallel was known by Windows. :(
>>

>> On 10/3/2007 4:41 PM PT, Barry Watzman typed:
>>
>>> I think that the problem is more the printer (actually it's driver),
>>> and Vista, plus trying to use a USB to parallel adapter (which is
>>> always potentially problematic .... some print drivers simply will not
>>> work with one of those).
>>>
>>> The right solution here is a new printer.

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=
>en&product=61012&lang=en

0
glenzabr
10/4/2007 5:32:52 PM
In article <47050238$0$28812$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com says...
> You don't need a driver for the USB to Parallel cable, but the printer
> driver has to be able to work with it, and many if not most can't.  I
> seem to recall hearing that the HP 8xx deskjet series, EXCEPT for the
> 895, could not work either over a network or with USB to parallel cables.

The 820 is a host-based printer, and would probably not work with a USB
adapter. The others are regular PCL/HPGL printers.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
10/4/2007 8:48:55 PM
> HP said the printer is supported and no driver needed.

The driver *is* supported, and the driver is included in Vista.  The problem
the OP was having is that they do not have a parallel port.  The quality of
USB to parallel converters varies considerably, and many do not work.  This
is not an HP or a Vista problem.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
10/4/2007 9:11:02 PM
Bob Headrick wrote:
> "Ant" <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
>> HP said the printer is supported and no driver needed.
>
> The driver *is* supported, and the driver is included in Vista.  The
> problem the OP was having is that they do not have a parallel port.  The
> quality of USB to parallel converters varies considerably, and many do
> not work.  This is not an HP or a Vista problem.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Yep, hence the sound advice of another poster advising the OP to get a
$15 add on PCI parallel port card. I've had similar issues with XP and
USB to Serial adapters that just didn't work.

Cheers,

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/5/2007 6:45:58 AM
On 10/4/2007 11:45 PM PT, spodosaurus typed:

>>> HP said the printer is supported and no driver needed.
>>
>> The driver *is* supported, and the driver is included in Vista.  The
>> problem the OP was having is that they do not have a parallel port.
>> The quality of USB to parallel converters varies considerably, and
>> many do not work.  This is not an HP or a Vista problem.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
>
> Yep, hence the sound advice of another poster advising the OP to get a
> $15 add on PCI parallel port card. I've had similar issues with XP and
> USB to Serial adapters that just didn't work.

Is there one for laptops/notebooks. I found out that it is not a
desktop. I bet those cost more than PCI cards. I told her to get a new
printer since they can be found cheaper. :/
--
"Is it for pleasure you were made? Not for doing, and for action? Look
at the plants, the sparrows, the ants, spiders, bees, all doing their
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/5/2007 7:19:48 AM
On 10/4/2007 1:48 PM PT, Andrew Rossmann typed:

>> You don't need a driver for the USB to Parallel cable, but the printer
>> driver has to be able to work with it, and many if not most can't.  I
>> seem to recall hearing that the HP 8xx deskjet series, EXCEPT for the
>> 895, could not work either over a network or with USB to parallel cables.
>
> The 820 is a host-based printer, and would probably not work with a USB
> adapter. The others are regular PCL/HPGL printers.

What exactly is a host-based printer compared to non-host-based printers?
--
"Not to engage in the pursuit of ideas is to live like ants instead of
men." --Mortimer J. Adler
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/5/2007 7:20:56 AM
Ant wrote:
> On 10/4/2007 11:45 PM PT, spodosaurus typed:

>>> The driver *is* supported, and the driver is included in Vista.  The
>>> problem the OP was having is that they do not have a parallel port.
>>> The quality of USB to parallel converters varies considerably, and
>>> many do not work.  This is not an HP or a Vista problem.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
>>
>> Yep, hence the sound advice of another poster advising the OP to get a
>> $15 add on PCI parallel port card. I've had similar issues with XP and
>> USB to Serial adapters that just didn't work.
>
> Is there one for laptops/notebooks. I found out that it is not a
> desktop. I bet those cost more than PCI cards. I told her to get a new
> printer since they can be found cheaper. :/

Yes, PCMCIA parallel port cards are available, and yes they are
significantly more expensive!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=pcmcia+parallel+port&x=0&y=0

Also, seeing as we're now talking about a laptop, there are docking
stations that have an assortment of ports, either replicated from the
laptop or extra ports.

However, given that it's a laptop, buy a new printer.

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/5/2007 9:06:43 AM
On 10/5/2007 2:06 AM PT, spodosaurus typed:

> Ant wrote:
>> On 10/4/2007 11:45 PM PT, spodosaurus typed:

>>> Yep, hence the sound advice of another poster advising the OP to get
>>> a $15 add on PCI parallel port card. I've had similar issues with XP
>>> and USB to Serial adapters that just didn't work.
>>
>> Is there one for laptops/notebooks. I found out that it is not a
>> desktop. I bet those cost more than PCI cards. I told her to get a new
>> printer since they can be found cheaper. :/
>
> Yes, PCMCIA parallel port cards are available, and yes they are
> significantly more expensive!
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=pcmcia+parallel+port&x=0&y=0
>

> Also, seeing as we're now talking about a laptop, there are docking
> stations that have an assortment of ports, either replicated from the
> laptop or extra ports.
>
> However, given that it's a laptop, buy a new printer.

Yeah, a new printer indeed after seeing that price (not with taxes
either). She can just skip all that mess and get a new printer for that
price. :) She doesn't even have a job (looking for one and can't even
print--poor her). :(
--
"Ants follow fat." --unknown
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/5/2007 1:25:40 PM
In host based printing, all of the image formation is done in the host
computer .... the only thing sent to the printer is an array of dots
(pixels) to print.  Conversion of both text and graphics into the raster
image (pixel dots) is done in the computer, while in more conventional
printing, this is done in the printer.

Ant wrote:
> On 10/4/2007 1:48 PM PT, Andrew Rossmann typed:
>
>>> You don't need a driver for the USB to Parallel cable, but the
>>> printer driver has to be able to work with it, and many if not most
>>> can't.  I seem to recall hearing that the HP 8xx deskjet series,
>>> EXCEPT for the 895, could not work either over a network or with USB
>>> to parallel cables.
>>
>> The 820 is a host-based printer, and would probably not work with a
>> USB adapter. The others are regular PCL/HPGL printers.
>
> What exactly is a host-based printer compared to non-host-based printers?
0
Barry
10/5/2007 1:50:47 PM
Interesting, so basically it's like software vs. hardware for
performance. How can one tell if the printer is host-based or not? I
wonder if my Hewlett Packard Photosmart 8450 printer (USB) is a
host-based too. Same for other printers I used: HP Epson 785 EPX, old
SuperNEC 860(?), etc.

On 10/5/2007 6:50 AM PT, Barry Watzman typed:

> In host based printing, all of the image formation is done in the host
> computer .... the only thing sent to the printer is an array of dots
> (pixels) to print.  Conversion of both text and graphics into the raster
> image (pixel dots) is done in the computer, while in more conventional
> printing, this is done in the printer.
>

> Ant wrote:
>> On 10/4/2007 1:48 PM PT, Andrew Rossmann typed:

>>> The 820 is a host-based printer, and would probably not work with a
>>> USB adapter. The others are regular PCL/HPGL printers.
>>
>> What exactly is a host-based printer compared to non-host-based printers?
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/5/2007 2:25:46 PM
I got an e-mail reply from Belkin finally, and it is confirmed Vista
won't work with it:

"Hi Ant ,

Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

We understand that are facing a problem to take a print windows vista.

To resolve the issue,please follow the below instruction

This product doesn`t support windows vista and we don`t have any drivers
for this product. We have a driver for 2000, Xp, 98SE.

If you need further assistance please feel free to write back to us and
we will be happy to assist you.

Ant, if you have any other questions or problems you may also call us
toll free at 800-223-5546 (Extn. 21). Alternatively, call us on 310 898
1100 Ext. 21.

Regards,

Vincent Connors
Belkin Technical Support"

On 10/3/2007 1:18 AM PT, Ant typed:

> Hello.
>
> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>
> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>
> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
> find it).
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>
> Based on
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808543&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61012&lang=en
> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>
> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Is it for pleasure you were made? Not for doing, and for action? Look
at the plants, the sparrows, the ants, spiders, bees, all doing their
business, helping to weld the order of the world. And will you refuse
man's part? And not run the way of nature's ordering?" --Marcus Aurelius
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/5/2007 2:43:15 PM

> Interesting, so basically it's like software vs. hardware for performance.
> How can one tell if the printer is host-based or not? I wonder if my
> Hewlett Packard Photosmart 8450 printer (USB) is a host-based too. Same
> for other printers I used: HP Epson 785 EPX, old SuperNEC 860(?), etc.

None of the HP Photosmart printers are host based.  HP host based inkjet
printers included the DeskJet 820, 1000 and all of the 700 series DeskJets.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
10/5/2007 5:48:33 PM
On 10/5/2007 10:48 AM PT, Bob Headrick typed:

>> Interesting, so basically it's like software vs. hardware for
>> performance. How can one tell if the printer is host-based or not? I
>> wonder if my Hewlett Packard Photosmart 8450 printer (USB) is a
>> host-based too. Same for other printers I used: HP Epson 785 EPX, old
>> SuperNEC 860(?), etc.
>
> None of the HP Photosmart printers are host based.  HP host based inkjet
> printers included the DeskJet 820, 1000 and all of the 700 series DeskJets.

Ah. How about other brands like Epson, old SuperNEC 870 (laser), etc.?
--
"He who runs from the white ant may stumble upon the stinging ant."
--Nigeria
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
10/6/2007 4:37:06 AM
In article <470641a7$0$20633$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>In host based printing, all of the image formation is done in the host
>computer .... the only thing sent to the printer is an array of dots
>(pixels) to print.  Conversion of both text and graphics into the raster
>image (pixel dots) is done in the computer, while in more conventional
>printing, this is done in the printer.

What doesnt make sense is, how does this make the use of an alternative port
like USB or ethernet less effective for these host printers???? Since the
image should already have been formed in the PC using its resources, why isnt
it just sending the prinout thru the requested port? All the hard work has
already been done!!!!!

>Ant wrote:
>> On 10/4/2007 1:48 PM PT, Andrew Rossmann typed:

>>> The 820 is a host-based printer, and would probably not work with a
>>> USB adapter. The others are regular PCL/HPGL printers.
>>
>> What exactly is a host-based printer compared to non-host-based printers?
0
glenzabr
10/6/2007 6:57:52 PM
Not so much hardware vs. software as WHICH hardware .... a CPU in the PC
or a CPU in the printer.  There is no easy way to tell if a given
printer is host based.

Ant wrote:
> Interesting, so basically it's like software vs. hardware for
> performance. How can one tell if the printer is host-based or not? I
> wonder if my Hewlett Packard Photosmart 8450 printer (USB) is a
> host-based too. Same for other printers I used: HP Epson 785 EPX, old
> SuperNEC 860(?), etc.
>

> On 10/5/2007 6:50 AM PT, Barry Watzman typed:
>
>> In host based printing, all of the image formation is done in the host
>> computer .... the only thing sent to the printer is an array of dots
>> (pixels) to print.  Conversion of both text and graphics into the
>> raster image (pixel dots) is done in the computer, while in more
>> conventional printing, this is done in the printer.
>>

>> Ant wrote:
>>> On 10/4/2007 1:48 PM PT, Andrew Rossmann typed:

>>> What exactly is a host-based printer compared to non-host-based
>>> printers?
0
Barry
10/8/2007 5:02:13 AM
The software in the printer driver (the HP driver) does not see the USB
port as the parallel port that it is looking for.  I don't think the
fact that it's host-based, per se, is part of the problem.  It's a
matter of how the software in the driver works to send the data to the
printer.

GMAN wrote:
> In article <470641a7$0$20633$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>> In host based printing, all of the image formation is done in the host
>> computer .... the only thing sent to the printer is an array of dots
>> (pixels) to print.  Conversion of both text and graphics into the raster
>> image (pixel dots) is done in the computer, while in more conventional
>> printing, this is done in the printer.
>>

> What doesnt make sense is, how does this make the use of an alternative port
> like USB or ethernet less effective for these host printers???? Since the
> image should already have been formed in the PC using its resources, why isnt
> it just sending the prinout thru the requested port? All the hard work has
> already been done!!!!!
>

>> Ant wrote:
>>> On 10/4/2007 1:48 PM PT, Andrew Rossmann typed:

>>> What exactly is a host-based printer compared to non-host-based printers?
0
Barry

HP Deskjet printer won't print black
I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. Thanks Carol wrote: > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. > > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. > > Thanks Stupid question time- did you pu...

I can't print with printer hp deskjet 5900 series
I can't print any page with labview , my printer is hp deskjet 5900 series . Labview don't accept my printer name and return error "printer name is invalid" . thank you for your help Do a search in the forum. see <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=243840&amp;query.id=20162#M243840" target="_blank">here</a> also ...

Unable to print from old NEC SuperScript 870 printer after installing HP DeskJet 450 mobile printer driver.
Hi. Is there a reason why I cannot have multiple printer drivers set up at the same time? My father's old Toshiba laptop runs Windows 98 SE and has various printer drivers installed. He has an Epson 785EPX, NEC SuperScript 870, HP DeskJet 450 mobile printer, and many others that I cannot remember right now. Both NEC and HP printers use LPT1/parallel port. Epson printer uses USB port through an USB hub. I don't know about the other printers. NEC printer didn't have any problems before installing HP's printer driver and rebooting. HP printer worked. Then, we switc...

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

Footer OK on print preview, but doesn't print to printer
I am only printing a page footer on page 1 and a page header after page 1. I have experimented heavily w/ placing a .Visible command in different locations and the best results have come with the code below. But while it looks perfect on the screen, The footer doesn't print at all. How can this be??? Private Sub PageHeaderSection_Format(Cancel As Integer... PageFooterSection.Visible = False PageFooterSection.Height = 0 End Sub I had a similar problem once and i relised that if your fields are color and your printer prints only in black than you will not see it in print...

HP Deskjet 3550 doesn't print when print preview is enabled
My Deskjet 3550 won't ever print when it gives a print preview. From the day I bought it, if there is a print preview it doesn't print, it just sits there. Anybody seen this before? ...

Can't print to HP LaserJet printer via Windows Printing
I can print to one of the HP LaserJet 2100tn printers via AppleTalk. But when I try to add the printer (via the Printer Setup Utility), I can't see it. 1. I click the Add button 2. I select Windows Printing from the drop-down list 3. I select a workgroup from the lower drop-down list No printers show up in the list. There are 2 HP LJ printers on the net, but none of them show up under Windows Printing. Am I doing something wrong? Also, I tried adding a printer via IP Printing. But when I try to print, I get no indication that the printer has received the job; no output. Maybe...

Printer doesn't print
I connected a new printer HP business inkjet 2300 to an old AIX 4.2.1 machine (43P-140). The printer has a postscript interpreter, so I expected that it is able to print from the AIX machine. But if I issue a print job, I see some seconds "running", and then DEV_WAIT from lpstat. What is wrong? Regards, -- Burkhard Schultheis Tele Data Electronic, Wagnerstr. 10, D-76448 Durmersheim Email: schultheis@tde-online.de Phone: +49 7245 9287-21 >I connected a new printer HP business inkjet 2300 to an old AIX 4.2.1 > machine (43P-140). The printer has a postscript interpreter, so I ...

"Print this", or, Printer-friendly function doesn't always print out everything
Concerning the article below, if you scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Print this" icon and then click on it, when you print out the 'complete' article, you will find that the inset "Tips to minimize mind-wandering" has not been printed out: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/17690541 <aesthete8@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1174525586.134887.103490@l75g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Concerning the article below, if you scroll to the bottom of the page > to the "Print this" icon and then click on it, when you print out the...

Printer sometimes doesn't print.
I have a user that I help out with computer issues and she states her printer randomly doesnt print. She has a DELL A920 All In One and running Windows XP Home. Here is what happens: 1) When printing - often in WordPerfect - the print job seems to be received because the Dell software print dialog status comes up. Then nothing happens. 2) If the users reboots the PC, sometimes the job prints. 3) Printer drivers have been reinstalled. 4) This is an Admin account. 5) Sometimes it prints fine in Notepad, Email, etc. This lead me to believe it was Wordperct, but a couple of times...

Doesn't print on network printer
After install cups and remove cups, my redhat 7.3 (2.4.20) never print again. The lpq will show: Printer: pr3@dhcp212 Queue: no printable jobs in queue Server: no server active Status: job 'nick@dhcp212+631' removed at 11:32:57.687 Rank Owner/ID Class Job Files Size Time done nick@dhcp210+680 A 680 (STDIN) 191263 20:59:07 But windows machine print well. How to trace this problem? I tried to change to unix print to jetdirect, both doesn't work (it works before). ...

Printer Calibrates but Doesn't Print
I have a HP 1210 - All-in-one Printer installed on Windows XP Pro (USB Port). All indications are that the communications are working fine between the computer and printer, I can even run the calibration. However when I try to print the test page, or anything else, the printer icon appears in the task bar for a short time and then disappears without printing anything. It also appears in the Document Print List and then disappears without printing anything. I have tried reinstalling the drivers and resetting the printer and computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Graha...

FR114P detect the printer but doesn't print
I try to print on a HP Laserjet 1005 (Win2000). The configuration seems to be ok, the spooler handle the print job without error message, and no print. What could it be ? Thanks in advance for your help. Pierre Did you delete the original printer install, and re-install it, as a networked printer? Bill Crocker "Pierre Feller" <pierre.feller@bluemail.ch> wrote in message news:c8269283.0404301340.311dd4c0@posting.google.com... > I try to print on a HP Laserjet 1005 (Win2000). The configuration > seems to be ok, the spooler handle the print job without error > message...

Printer doesn't print last row!?
I use Windows98, and Window's Printer (USB) I have capture USB port in LPT1. Now, i print without problem from CLipper. I have only one problem : Clipper doesn't print the last row. I have tried to use : @ prow()+1,pcol() say "" but Clipper jump the last row. Why? N.B. To avoid the pause (60 seconds more or less) of windows for printing, i say at the end of the printing SET PRINTER TO LPT2, and then SET PRINTER TO LPT1. Ale, >I use Windows98, and Window's Printer (USB) >I have capture USB port in LPT1. >Now, i print without problem from CLipper. >I have...

Web resources about - Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection)... - comp.periphs.printers