want second printer driver for a printer with different specs

In the book, "Special Edition- Using Microsoft Windows Vista", the author
says one of the reasons to install another driver on pg. 208: "You want to
set up different printer preference sets for a single physical
printer.....".

Sounds good, but I can't see how to do it. In the printer folder, I can see
a button for Add a Printer- but will that process succeed in loading a
second, identical driver? (one that I can modify)

Joe

0
Joe

"Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote:
>In the book, "Special Edition- Using Microsoft Windows Vista", the author
>says one of the reasons to install another driver on pg. 208: "You want to
>set up different printer preference sets for a single physical
>printer.....".
>
>Sounds good, but I can't see how to do it. In the printer folder, I can see
>a button for Add a Printer- but will that process succeed in loading a
>second, identical driver? (one that I can modify)
>
>Joe

It depends.... Usually the best way to do this is to run the installer provided
by the printer manufacturer, sometimes it will ask if you want to install a new
driver for an existing printer or a new printer, select New Printer (not new
driver!). If it does not ask then just carry on with the installation. The most
important thing is to make sure the "new" printer has a unique name that
describes the preferences you are planning to use.
If the existing printer was installed using in-box drivers (Vista drivers, not
using a CD) then add new printer is probably the way to go.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Tony

necessary to install printer driver for shared printer on computer that is not attached to printer?
We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in addition to the XP computer? best, Aaron From: <aaronep@pacbell.net> > We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We > have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP > computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is > it necessary to in...

Printer drivers for new printers
I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers for them without any success. The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are connected on a windows printer/home control server. For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to. Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their official response. Is there anywhere I can find printer driv...

Printer Ink

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

I have a Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer attached via USB to my PC. My Mac can see it and add it but it cannot load the right driver. I installed the printer on the Mac as well then re connected it to the PC hoping that after the Mac would be able to locate or display the proper Canon driver. Any idea how to get the correct driver assigned to this shared printer? Thanks, Om Mac- G4/450 w 512MB RAM 10.3.8, Canon driver 2.6.0 PC- Win2K Pro- printer shared Both machines network flawlessly together ...

Printer name = printer driver name ?
Hello, here's something I would like to understand. My new HP 1012 laser printer is connected to a WIN98SE PC. This PC is in a network with two WIN2000 PC's. After installing the drivers on these PC's I notice that the printer does not have the share name I assigned to it at the WIN98SE PC, but rather the name of the driver. Everything works at this moment, but... this looks strange to me. Did I do something wrong ? Any comments ? Thank you -- R-ton ...

Wanted: Printer/Scanner/CD./DVD printer
Any recommendations? Canon MP600, $99 from www.outpost.com (Fry's) or MP610, $150 from Canon online store (free ground shipping). They are identical. Period. Check out these DVD prints I made from MP600 with a home-made CD tray. Notice how accurately the images are centered. See my earlier post for how to make the tray easily. Scanned these on MP600. http://lh3.google.com/fixup77/R8cq4asiCaI/AAAAAAAAANQ/AOqMvf7-7V4/s800/dvdmovie.JPG http://lh3.google.com/fixup77/R8cq4asiCbI/AAAAAAAAANY/n_OM_GAXwVs/s800/dvdcollection.JPG Trevor wrote: > Any recommendations? ...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

Help I need a printer driver for cannon S330 printer
Hi I am trying to download a printer driver for my cannon S330 printer and I dont know what I am doing or how to get one. I downloaded a printer driver to my desktop but dont know how to install it from there. Now i think i threw it in the recycle bin. Can anyone help me, I need my printer to work and dont have the disk. It worked fine before my puter crashed and i had to reload backups. any help will be greatly appreciated sincerely mike On 7 Jan 2005 14:26:47 -0800, carstereos89@aol.com wrote: >Hi >I am trying to download a printer driver for my cannon S330 printer...

removing printer driver reverence from the add printer wizard
Hi, I installed a print driver to create TIFF images. I also removed the printer by deleting that. Now when i go into the 'Add Printer' Wizard the reference of the 'Manufacturer' and the printer driver is still in the 'Install Printer Software' window on the add printer wizard. Can somebody help me figure out how to remove the reference to the old printer driver in the 'Add Printer' Wizard. Note: I am using WindowsXp Professional. Thanks in advance, Jobby ...

Creating a generic printer interface (encapsulating a printer driver)?
I would like to enable a system to basically accept any type of printer (well, within limits, as it is a POS). As such, I would like to encapsulate the printer driver's specific API and expose a generic one (effectively mediating between the driver and the application). This was the application only has to know one type of interface and printers can be switched at will. Of course one would have to write a pice of glue to encapsulate the specific driver, but I hope with sufficient insentive the manufacture might do that. So: - Is this a good design/idea? - What would a "...

Web resources about - want second printer driver for a printer with different specs - comp.periphs.printers

5 things to watch for during tonight's GOP debate
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire — The gang is back together, gathering for the final Republican debate before the crucial primary in New Hampshire ...

Dublin Hotel Shooting: Men Dressed As Police Burst Into Boxing Weigh-In, Spray Crowd With Bullets
A Dublin hotel was the target of a horrific gang shooting as multiple hitmen entered the hotel during a boxing weigh-in and riddled the crowd ...

Watch Wilco Cover David Bowie In Brooklyn
Since David Bowie's passing last month, tributes and covers of the late legend's songs have been pouring in left and right. Last night, during ...

Twitter tackles terrorists in targeted takedown
Having previously battled trolls , Twitter has now turned its attention to terrorists and their supporters. The site has closed down more than ...

Kiwi Ko, South Korea's Jang share LPGA lead
World number one Lydia Ko completed a bogey-free five-under par 67 Saturday morning to remain deadlocked with South Korea's Jang Ha-Na entering ...

Apple says it is bricking iPhones with Error 53 for security reasons
You wouldn't expect a simple iOS update to completely kill your iPhone , but this is exactly what is happening. Users who took their handsets ...

Twitter May Introduce An Algorithmic Timeline And People Are Losing Their Minds
Remember Twitter? Or, at least, that would seem to be the sentiment from parts of Twitter that are now shocked that the company is considering ...

More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus: government
By Julia Symmes Cobb BOGOTA (Reuters) - More than 3,100 pregnant Colombian women are infected with the mosquito-borne Zika virus, President Juan ...

Box office: The Coen brothers and zombies are no match for 'Kung Fu Panda 3'
A new film from the sibling writer-director team of Joel and Ethan Coen as well as a zombie take on a Jane Austen classic are proving to be no ...

Marco Rubio Earns Coveted Endorsement From Notorious Exorcist
If there’s one endorsement that will surely tip the scales on the Republican presidential candidacy, it’s surely that of an exorcist who failed ...