What is a good, cheap, used B&W printer for personal use?

I recently started taking a research course in school which requires
me to print out excessive amounts of information.  This includes
several 20 page articles a day, up to 80 pages of abstracts and such
at a time.  I generally end up printing out everything at school,
because the only printer I have at home is a HP Deskjet 712C, a decent
color printer.  I don't really want to use that for heavy-duty print
jobs, so I'm looking for a old, used, cheap printer on ebay.  Does
anyone know what would be a good printer that prints black and white
decently fast?  Also, how much would I be expecting to pay?  The
cheaper the better.
0
dylcool

dylcool@aol.com (Clueless Thinkpad man) wrote in message news:<435dcf91.0401152203.24c8918e@posting.google.com>...
> I recently started taking a research course in school which requires
> me to print out excessive amounts of information.  This includes
> several 20 page articles a day, up to 80 pages of abstracts and such
> at a time.  I generally end up printing out everything at school,
> because the only printer I have at home is a HP Deskjet 712C, a decent
> color printer.  I don't really want to use that for heavy-duty print
> jobs, so I'm looking for a old, used, cheap printer on ebay.  Does
> anyone know what would be a good printer that prints black and white
> decently fast?  Also, how much would I be expecting to pay?  The
> cheaper the better.

By "school" I suppose you mean university or college. That would be a
good place to start, a these often dispose of good working office
equipment at bargain prices.

Other than that, look for an HP printer, preferably HP4, 5, 6. Avoid
any models with vertical feed (like the 5L and 6L) which tend to jam.
For your purpose, nothing much else matters.

If you want a smaller one, the 4L, 4P, 5P, 6P are good, half or less
the weight of the 4,5,6. The minimum spec here is 4ppm and 300dpi
which people would sneer at today, but is more than adequate.

Try to get one locally so you can see it run and be sure it doesn't
jam. Most other problems can be solved by a new toner cart, but jams
will cost more than they're worth to get fixed unless you DIY.

Pricing varies wildly. A look on eBay will give you an idea of market
value. A professionally refurbished one costs more, but will have a
guarantee.

Have a look at <http://www.printerworks.com/Printers/Laser-Printers.html>.
This will give the basic specs of most HP printers, and also what they
charge for them, which would be an upper limit.
0
7ibehx001
1/16/2004 1:12:05 PM
How about a new Samsung B&W laser for $99 or thereabouts at BestBuy or
stores like that.

ps

"Clueless Thinkpad man" <dylcool@aol.com> wrote in message
> I recently started taking a research course in school which requires
> me to print out excessive amounts of information.  This includes
> several 20 page articles a day, up to 80 pages of abstracts and such
> at a time.  I generally end up printing out everything at school,
> because the only printer I have at home is a HP Deskjet 712C, a decent
> color printer.  I don't really want to use that for heavy-duty print
> jobs, so I'm looking for a old, used, cheap printer on ebay.  Does
> anyone know what would be a good printer that prints black and white
> decently fast?  Also, how much would I be expecting to pay?  The
> cheaper the better.

---

ps
1/16/2004 6:53:56 PM
On 15 Jan 2004 22:03:53 -0800, dylcool@aol.com (Clueless Thinkpad man)
wrote:

>I recently started taking a research course in school which requires
>me to print out excessive amounts of information.  This includes
>several 20 page articles a day, up to 80 pages of abstracts and such
>at a time.  I generally end up printing out everything at school,
>because the only printer I have at home is a HP Deskjet 712C, a decent
>color printer.  I don't really want to use that for heavy-duty print
>jobs, so I'm looking for a old, used, cheap printer on ebay.  Does
>anyone know what would be a good printer that prints black and white
>decently fast?  Also, how much would I be expecting to pay?  The
>cheaper the better.

Forget inkjet, get a laser.
0
Gary
1/16/2004 7:34:00 PM
Best for the price - Laser printer - per page costs will be far lower
than any inkjet on the planet.

----

Minolta 1350W for $20+ tax if you hurry and find one in store:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=263715&highlight_key=y&keyword1=minolta

Samsung ML-12xx/ML-14xx series.  $119 or less anywhere online.
eg. http://www.pagecomputers.com/cgi-bin/page/P0000530.html
Brother HL-12xx series.  $70 or less ebay.com

Don't forget to read the other fatwallet.com/forum/ >hot deals posts!
You can easily find a nice laser, cheap!

0
David

Anyone using a Samsung B&W Laser Printer?
Is anyone using a Samsung Laser Printer? I'd like to check and see if you have their Smart Panel software working on your OSX 10.4.10. I have their ML2510 laser. Their Mac driver installs ok off their CD and is working fine but their Mac software package called "Smart Panel"for the ML2510 doesn't function in Tiger. Both are on the CD as Mac folders so it's not a PC mixup from the CD. I talked to them last night about the Smart Panel not functioning and was told that they are "working" on Smart Panel for Macintosh and that it will show on their site when...

B&W neg-as-pos scan on Minolta, use color or B&W? (ping Bart)
Well, I'm no closer to fathoming the definitive negative-to-positive color workflow, but in the meantime here's a question regarding B&W negatives. The SE5400 seems to clip these just as heavily as color negs. When scanning B&W negatives as positives, does it make sense to stay in B&W to keep file size down and simplify post-processing? Or is it better to scan in RGB like a color negative, with per-channel exposure adjustments, and adjust to neutral afterward? My one thought was that the Minolta software might make invisible per-channel exposure adjustments in B&W mode that would be fine for a B&W slide but throw a negative further out of balance. As usual, I don't know how all of this would have played out in the darkroom. And as usual, thanks for any advice. Off-topic, has anyone here tried ICE when scanning B&W in color? Has it ever had a useful effect? The film I was looking at was labeled Ilford HP5 Plus, if that matters. false_dmitrii <false_dmitrii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1147932794.627772.308580@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Well, I'm no closer to fathoming the definitive negative-to-positive > color workflow, but in the meantime here's a question regarding > B&W negatives. The SE5400 seems to clip these just as heavily > as color negs. The Minolta software does so on all negatives, color or B&W. So the only real option with the Minolta so...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Suggestions for B&W personal laser printer
My 14-year-old HP 5L is showing signs of needing replacement. I haven't been keeping up with the new crop of laser printers so don't know which is best now. I actually don't do a lot of printing. I'm still on the toner cartridge I bought when the one that came with the 5L ran out, but it's about gone. But I do want excellent quality for text since I'll use the printer for letters. I have an Epson inkjet printer I use for graphics or anything else with color. Smaller HP printers such as the P1006 have paper exposed to gather dust, so I'd prefer somethi...

Choosing an cheap b&w laser printer
Hello, I'm searching for a laser printer to buy. I will use it mostly for text and I wish I could get a quite nice quality, with the lowest cost per page. Can someone give me some advice or specific brand or model? Thanks a lot! Ed The Samsung 1710 is very low priced after rebate and has excellent text quality. You can also try the new HP LaserJet 1012. "Ed" <edtpasde@spamnerim.net> wrote in message news:3ffb1413$0$22308$626a54ce@news.free.fr... > Hello, > > I'm searching for a laser printer to buy. > I will use it mostly for text and I wish I could get a quite nice quality, > with the lowest cost per page. > > Can someone give me some advice or specific brand or model? > > Thanks a lot! > > Ed > > "Ed" <edtpasde@spamnerim.net> wrote: > Hello, >=20 > I'm searching for a laser printer to buy. > I will use it mostly for text and I wish I could get a quite nice = quality, > with the lowest cost per page. >=20 > Can someone give me some advice or specific brand or model? >=20 > Thanks a lot! With B&W you don't have to worry about color so just buy whatever price you can afford. I just saw my local Office Deport has refurbished HP = laser printer (?) for $99.xx after special sale and mail in rebate. Since I already have laser printer else at the price I would buy one myself. I think it might ...

Looking for a good colour/B & W printer
Wondering what is about which will give a good colour output but will also print good black and white prints as well. I was thinking of the Epson R800 as reviews have said that this is a fine printer, but, there are problems with clogging. I don't fancy paying out �200 for a printer that could soon fail. but then I am going on other peoples opinions. But I like the idea of the pigment inks and their colourfastness. then there is the Canon IP5000, I've seen the colour output from this one and it is very good, but not seen the B & W. So, any suggestions for a printer for about �200 or less? The IP4000 is better than the IP5000 unless you are printing a great deal of business documents. However, if B&W is very important and you are very fussy than the HP photo ink jets might be best. They do have the best B&W but the printer requires constant cartridge switching to get it. jackman wrote: >Wondering what is about which will give a good colour output but will >also print good black and white prints as well. >I was thinking of the Epson R800 as reviews have said that this is a >fine printer, but, there are problems with clogging. I don't fancy >paying out �200 for a printer that could soon fail. but then I am >going on other peoples opinions. But I like the idea of the pigment >inks and their colourfastness. > >then there is the Canon IP5000, I've seen the colour output from this &g...

is samsung b&w laser printer good for printing envelopes?
I have need for a laser printer that will print 200-250 envelopes at a time. Has anyone reading this used any of the Samsung laser printers? They appear to be price competitive, but I desire to know how efficient they are for envelope printing? best, Aaron I have a Samsung ML1510 (Don't laugh) it's only an 'El Cheapo', actually I was looking for a replacement for the dreaded Epson C62 and came across this at Dabbs Computers, Bolton, UK for about �48 - and it proved to be a real work horse, I got this initially to make printed circuit boards by using 'Toner Transfer paper' and does a remarkable job infact the C62 is just ornament now as it does almost everyhting. It has already had two toner refill's, I found I could refill the toner for about �6 instead of replacing the entire toner unit for around �60. Decide on the model and check the following and you can save a lot of money by getting refills instead of toner cartridge unit, which incidentally contains the drum unit, hence the expense.. http://www.refilltoner.com/samsungRefillCom.html The site not only tells you the models that are refillable but explains and shows how to do it. This particular one does crease the envelopes slightly in one corner - DON'T TAKE THIS AS SAYING THAT ALL OTHER MODELS ARE THE SAME, this is after all an 'El Cheapo' but the text is crisp as can be expected, so you really would need to check this point, I wou...

Cheapest (including refill economics) personal printer (only need B&W)
Need recommendation for basic B&W printer I already have a decent color printer for photos, so color doesn't matter. (Though I imagine it's tough now to find a personal printer that *doesn't* have color?) Speed also not really a factor. Dependability matters, of course. That aside, any recommendations on an inexpensive printer for occasional home use? (I can use a laser at work, so absolute top quality matters less at home). I'd also be concerned about the catridge mechanism / ink costs - ideally has cartridge that is refillable using a kit. Basically I'm trying to find a printer so cheap (but does the job) that it's practically disposable. Thanks if you've looked into this... - TK The Canon i560 would meet your needs perfectly. -- -------------------------------------------------------- Customer Service ( customer.service@weink.com ) WeInk, LLC http://www.weink.com Beat the high cost of printing with Camel Continuous Re-Inking System _____________________________ "Tripp Knightly" <trippknightly@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:120d8f1c.0404031525.5d93a869@posting.google.com... > Need recommendation for basic B&W printer > > I already have a decent color printer for photos, so color doesn't > matter. (Though I imagine it's tough now to find a personal printer > that *doesn't* have color?) Speed also not really a factor. > Dependability matters,...

Best Cheap B&W laser printer a4 for office documents?
Dear All, My boyfriend and I are both researchers, work at home a good part of the week, and need to print huge quantities of B&W A4 true type articles and documents. (for the occasional colour print we use a HP 880C). So, the printer has to - print double-side to save space, - be low cost in toner, drum kit and other supplies - print on overhead sheets (transparencies) - be very fast - rather sturdy than fancy, though weight and dimensions might matter. I prefer spending more and getting a machine that has a long life. We have 4 computers, with Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 and Windows 95, and I am considering setting up a LAN. We had experiences only with HP 500 and 520 inkjet and I do not want an inkjet anymore in my life. Any advice? Thank you very much in advance. Arianna Betti (remove NOSPAM if replying by email) "arib�" <a.NOSPAMbetti@unict.it> ha scritto nel messaggio news:41174480$0$62381$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl... > Dear All, > > My boyfriend and I are both researchers, work at home a good part of the .....cut ......fs 1020D Kyocera ......every one kyocera have a Lowest consumables cost . http://www.kyoceramita.co.uk/pages/products/products.asp > ....cut > .....fs 1020D Kyocera > .....every one kyocera have a Lowest consumables cost . > http://www.kyoceramita.co.uk/pages/products/products.asp Thanks! Arianna In article <nKPRc.92595$OR2.49198...

Good color/composite doc Printing AND Cost-Effective B&W Printing in ONE Printer?
Hi Folks! Is there a printer which prints GOOD QUALITY color images and composite docs AND also offers cost-effective, speedy B&W printing? I ask as I need to be able to print brochures and photos in color with GOOD quality but still need to be able to print B&W docs at economical cost and speedily. Normally, I specify a good (inkjet, usually a Canon) color printer for the color print/composite doc work and a cheap laser (ilke the Samsung 1710 or Brother HL-1440) for fast, cheap B&W printing jobs. I am wondering if these days there is now an (most likely still in...

Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons and grand kids 'art'.
Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons, letter/envelopes and grand kids 'art'. At least 30 sheets a day more or less. OS = 10.8, XP and W7. TIA "NotMe" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:jc064s$t3d$1@dont-email.me... > Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons, > letter/envelopes and grand kids 'art'. At least 30 sheets a day more or > less. > > OS = 10.8, XP and W7. > > TIA > With 30 sheets a day in B/W your best option is a laser printer, even if ...

using the printer object, how do I tell what my default printer is
I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings so I'm thinking this will set the prt object to my default printer Dim prt As Printer Set prt = Application.Printers(0) but it doesn't and application.printers.count correct shows that I have eight possible printers so I could cycle through them if there was a prt property for 'default printer' but I can't find one is there a way to do this ? On Nov 9, 5:19=A0pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings > so I'm thinking this will...

A Good Infrequently Used Printer?
I have two Epson inkjet printers: one at work and one at home. The output is very good, but there are problems when I don't use them for a month or two -- they dry out. I understand this is to be expected. Should I consider some other type of printer besides inkjet, one that can sit for a couple of months? Of if I stick with inkjet, are there differences between manufacturers/models as regards how quickly they dry out? Any suggestions will be appreciated. <MrPaulm@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136486530.716434.99280@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I have t...

Good occasional use printer
I only use a printer occasionally; maybe once per week, for a couple/few pages. I am not in a situation where I cam simply borrow another one to print. I was using an HP printer. However I had many paper feed problems, as did at least one other person I knew. So I bought an Epson or two, the current one being a C61. The troubles are twofold (1) It clogs if I don't run it every day (often I am not even there) (2) Its "cleaning" process, whether I turn it off or leave it on, meant I was paying damn near Aud$1.00 per page in ink, because I will often run off only one p...

B&W only printers
Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to get him to chill. His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc) from web pages, e-mailed statements. He is determined not to have color. So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers? --sharp text/lines --long lasting inks (7 years or more). --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute) Thanks, Alan. -- -- rec.photo.equipment.35mm user resource: -- http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.-- On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:44:18 -0400, Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote: > >Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to get him >to chill. > >His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc) from web >pages, e-mailed statements. > >He is determined not to have color. > >So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers? > >--sharp text/lines >--long lasting inks (7 years or more). >--reasonable speed (a few pages per minute) > > >Thanks, >Alan. Look for a rebuilt/refurbed HPIII Laser printer. Bullet Proof. I have documents printed on my old HPIII from 1990 and they are still clear & black. I had to scrap it last year after it had produced in excess of 400,000 printed pages in 13 years...

When using &quot;Print Report&quot; my default printer changes.
Hello, &nbsp; I have the need to print two different kinds of reports to two different printers depending on which report it is.&nbsp; I use the Office toolkit and wire the correct printer for the report using the "Print Report" tool.&nbsp; However, each time I do this, it changes the default printer in Windows to the printer wired.&nbsp; I don't want to change the default printer just send the report to the specified printer.&nbsp; Is there a work around? Hi The Q, a workaround could be to read first which&nbsp;the default printer is, then print your pag...

Can a USB port used by a printer be used for a scanner?
I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the scanner after installing the software In principle, yes, you can do that. However, some devices will only work with root ports (motherboard ports) and won't work on a hub port. And a particular product's drivers might behave in an unconventional way that, for that device, prohibited a mode of operation t...

LP ( line printer ) use cups or CUPS use lp?
LP ( line printer ) use cups or CUPS use lp? Thanks On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:15:53 +0900, google-rambo88 wrote: > LP ( line printer ) use cups or CUPS use lp? > > Thanks There are not many real line printers in use any more. CUPS is the Common Unix Printing System - most folks with Linux use it to run the printer. ...

fast cheap printer for not-too-frequent use?
I'm interested in a printer capable of printing color photos (not just "business graphics") that is fast and has low operating costs. The output quality doesn't have to be great but it should be able to print using low-cost supplies without looking like total crap. My usage pattern is that the printer will likely sit idle for months at a time between bursts of fairly heavy use. One annoying thing about inkjets is the cartridges dry out if you let them sit too long. I have the impression that "color laser printer" is a misnomer and the low cost ones are ...

when to use ; and when to use ,
Any statements like printf("abc"); scanf("%d",&x); a=20; can be replaced by printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; So when should we use ; and when sould we use , In article <1181971596.941107.318810@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Ravi <ra.ravi.rav@gmail.com> wrote: >Any statements like > printf("abc"); > scanf("%d",&x); > a=20; >can be replaced by > printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; > >So when should we use ; and when sould we use , Use ; when you want ...

B&W Photo Printer
Hello- I'm just bought & returned an HP 7960 PhotoSmart Printer soley because of the way it guzzled ink. Unfortunately, it produced excellent black & white photos, as well as color. I was about to purchase the Canon i900D, until I read about how a professional photographer said in a review that you have to adjust the B&W prints of the i900D by adding a little green to take away the other color that shows up. So, it looks as though I'm just going to have to wait until Canon comes out with perhaps additional inks like shades of gray, etc. Anyway, I've thought abo...

Who to use the printer
1) I need to print some documents to any printer. 2) if possible make a print preview in tk. Is there any way to do it? What modules to look? Thanks MArcos -++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**== This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list server. If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message body of "unsubscribe ptk" to majordomo@lists.stanford.edu ...

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

Web resources about - What is a good, cheap, used B&W printer for personal use? - comp.periphs.printers

Personal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Personal (company) , a Washington, D.C.-based tech startup Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional ...

Personal Branding Blog - Dan Schawbel
The Personal Branding Blog offers branding and career advice from Dan Schawbel and his team of experts.

A personal story of child sexual abuse
Memories of abuse can be suppressed, writes Michael Short

Pope's criticism of Donald Trump as 'not Christian' is not personal, Vatican says
The Vatican tamps down a firestorm ignited by Pope Francis' comments assailing Donald Trump's views on US immigration as not Christian.

Snapchat Launches On-Demand Geofilters for Personal, Business Use
... Geofilters are only available in specific geographic locations, and with this new feature, users can create their own Geofilters for personal ...

Vatican: Pope's Comments About Trump Not ‘Personal Attack or Instruction on How to Vote’
Vatican spokesman Lombardi issued a clarification of the Pope’s assertion that a person who thinks of building walls and not bridges is no Christian. ...

IRS: Email, Text Scams Targeting Taxpayers’ Personal Info Up 400% This Year
It’s tax season, which means it’s the prime time for scammers to crawl out from underneath their scammy rocks and try to nab taxpayers’ personal ...

Pope Backs Off: Spokesman Says Wall Comment ‘Wasn’t A Personal Attack’ On Trump
Pope Backs Off: Spokesman Says Wall Comment ‘Wasn’t A Personal Attack’ On Trump

You can get up close and personal with the titanosaur in VR
The massive dinosaur class known as titanosaurs got a lot of attention last month when a 122-foot skeleton was added to the fossil exhibits at ...

Startups are Personal: Be Careful with Cheap and Cheerful
In the fourth part of our lessons learned series (which is co-authored by Traklight’s Mike Willee), we tackle a topic near and dear to my heart: ...