Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?

I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB
Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the
printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer
status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same
printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a
direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected
directly to my desktop and print from my laptop.

Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass
data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the
printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop?

Thanks for any suggestions!
-mike-

0
johndoe_rider

<johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB
> Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the
> printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer
> status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...).

I believe this is a common problem with printer servers. Before you buy you
have to check two things:

a) That it supports your printer.
b) How well it supports your printer.

The lack of support for the "back channel" is quite common.

0
CWatters

> <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB
> > Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the
> > printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer
> > status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...).
>
> I believe this is a common problem with printer servers. Before you buy
you
> have to check two things:
>
> a) That it supports your printer.
> b) How well it supports your printer.

Your printer doesn't seem to be listed on the supported printers list...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101457.asp

0
CWatters
6/27/2005 6:19:53 PM
Thank you for your comments. Yes, I did see that my printer is not
listed on their "compatibility" list but they didn't say what that
means either :-)
I guess I will have to return it.

0
johndoe_rider
6/27/2005 6:35:10 PM
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:19:53 GMT, "CWatters"
<colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote:

>Your printer doesn't seem to be listed on the supported printers list...
>
>http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101457.asp

That list is by no means comprehensive.  Those are just known and
tested printers.  Many other printers will work.

With that said though, I could not use my Canon i9900 printer with
either of two print servers - an Air Link nor a Linksys.  Same deal -
printer worked fine on both of them but wouldn't return any status
info from the printer.  However, on two occasions with the same print
servers I've installed several late model complex HP printers, and
they've always  worked perfectly with those same print servers.  Maybe
some brands are more "networkable" than others.  At least that's my
preliminary conclusion.
0
Jim

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seem...

Printer Ink

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer error
SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer gives the following error : Error TERM/2014 Create error: \\oemcomputer\hp-lj1300.prn (DOS Error : Network name not found) Printer is installed and connected. It's working. Please help On Sep 9, 9:03=A0am, "M Mordkovych" <mmordk1_no_spam_...@verizon.net> wrote: > SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer gives the following error : > > Error TERM/2014 Create error: \\oemcomputer\hp-lj1300.prn (DOS Error : > Network name not found) > > Printer is installed and connected. It's working. > > Please help I've had ...

Only allow a printer server on network printer
How can I set up a network printer to only use a printer server from WinNT or Win2000 servers if the printer is network enabled (say an HP printer with a JetDirect card and its own IP)? Is it configurable through the JetAdmin utility? Do I have to setup a filtering firewall perhaps to the printer? TIA Patrick ...

Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server)
Has anyone ever managed to get Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) to enumerate printers on a server? I've tried $server with a plain server name e.g. "MYBOX" and "\\\\MYBOX" nither give any response. (Note I'm using an accound with Administrator priv at MYBOX). Looking at MSDN it implies that the parameter to EnumPrinters() should be "Print Provider!!\\Machine" so I tried "win32spl.dll!!\\\\MYBOX" and "win32spl!!\\\\MYBOX" and "LanMan Print Services!!\\\\MYBOX" Still Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

necessary to install printer driver for shared printer on computer that is not attached to printer?
We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in addition to the XP computer? best, Aaron From: <aaronep@pacbell.net> > We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We > have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP > computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is > it necessary to in...

Psion 3a 3Link printer cable to usb printer
Hi Is it possible to print directly from my recently acquired Psion 3a by connecting it to a USB only printer? (Canon i350). If yes, what kind of adapter should I buy? I have a Psion 3 Link Parallel Printer Interface cable. Also, how does it work printing from a Psion? Is it done through Windows? Do you have to put some kind of Printer Driver onto the Psion? Thanks Evi Evi wrote: > Hi > Is it possible to print directly from my recently acquired Psion 3a by > connecting it to a USB only printer? (Canon i350). Sorry, can't be done If yes, what kind of &g...

Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server.
I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Both drivers refuse to run. If anyone have successfully make the connection, please help!!! Ching-yeh Tzseng tzseng wrote: > I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP > OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer > server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and > Windows 2000. Both driver...

Setting up a printer on a wireless router that has a USB print server.
Ok, I am pretty sure that the printer I have is not compatible, but if I did have a wireless compatible printer (or LPR compatible). What do you have to do to make the printing work from the wireless router? This is my guess. 1. Get a printer on the Airport approved list, as I would think that they would work across any wireless router with a print server. (I know big assumption here, but at least they are Mac compatible) 2. Hook up said printer via USB to computer, and install print drivers. (This is the Apple recommended solution here, probably just to make sure that the proper print drive...

Bi-directional wireless USB printer server/hub?
I got a D-Link (DPR-1260) wireless printer server. So far, I have my Canon photo printer (S830D)connected to it. It works great except for one thing. The link is not bi-directional. every time I print, I get a message saying that the printer is not responding. It's actually the server that is not responding (forwarding the printer responses back to the PC). I have also lost the "low ink" warnings that I used to get when the printer was connected directly via USB cable. The instructions in the D-Link box warned of this. It said that this "may not work". ...

Printer vs printer vs ...
I have an old HP. If I load a graphic into Mozilla it will print to the HP. If I load a graphic into PMView it will not print. Why? Jim L -- If you think people are out to get you you're paranoid. If you think people are out to get anybody they can what are you? Sir: inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote: > I have an old HP. If I load a graphic into Mozilla it will print to the > HP. If I load a graphic into PMView it will not print. Why? > PMview has a size limitation. Look in the re-size option to see the largest size to which it will convert a picture. In ...

Printer drivers for new printers
I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers for them without any success. The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are connected on a windows printer/home control server. For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to. Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their official response. Is there anywhere I can find printer driv...

Printer addendum for HP printer

Printer trays.....network printers
Still having a problem here... If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H (PCL for use lower tray), nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it uses bottom tray. I want t...

tPrinter.printers not showing a printer?
A client is using one of my programs on several computers (Win 2000). On one (and only one) of them, when I get the tPrinter.printers list of printers, it shows no printers. The user says that there is a printer installed. If the printer is properly installed in Windows, it must show up in tPrinter.printers, right? --- Replace you know what by j to email ...

Duplex printers and CD printers
Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA that can print on both sides of the paper automatically? Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA that can print on CDs? Thank you in advance for all replies. -- For some strange reason those of us who are owned by cats ascribe motives to the cat that are more benign than the cat's real motives. For example if the cat gets in the way when we are trying to do something we say it is "helping". Daniel Prince wrote: > Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printer...

Installed Printers
Hi, We want to make it possible for our Users to link a printer to a document type. Doing that we need to know how we can load the installed printers on the client system and how we can autoselect an printer using JavaScript Thanks in advice Jo Jo Claes wrote: > Hi, > > We want to make it possible for our Users to link a printer to a document > type. > Doing that we need to know how we can load the installed printers on the > client system and how we can autoselect an printer using JavaScript > > Thanks in advice > > Jo Client-side JavaScript does not have...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man tha...

Phaser printers and LED printers
I have need to purchase, for a small office environment, a printer for color brochures. It needs to handle speeds in the 10-20 pages per minute range and mainly for letter size paper. Target price is $1000-1200. I prefer something other than inkjet printers for this application, and recent color laser printer output I've seen is quite good. There seem to be several models from the major manufacturers available for under a grand, but they seem to cluster around 4 pages per minute in color, which is too slow. We will be printing runs of a few hundred pages at a time, probably...

printer supplies or new printer
I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter feeding a Canon BJC210. I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 I need either ink cartidges for the printer, or a new printer that turbo will recognise. Any suggestion? (PS - sorry I use a Windows for internet and everything else.) "Letmesnapu2" <alan.r.archer@btinternet.com> wrote: > I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter > feeding a Canon BJC210. > > I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 > > I need either ink cartidges for ...

Web resources about - Wireless Printer Server and USB printer? - comp.periphs.printers

Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wireless communication is the transfer of information between two or more points that are not connected by an electrical conductor. The most ...

Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wireless communication is the transfer of information between two or more points that are not connected by an electrical conductor. The most ...

Wireless Federation - Serving 500+ mobile operators across 142 countries
Research Each year we cover 30+ research streams that form the basis of our knowledge deliverables to our mobile operator customers. Over 500+ ...

Wireless Technology - Mobile - Network
... community with a rapidly expanding network of nearly 400 companies across the globe interested in the development and application of wireless ...

AT&T Joins Verizon in Race to Build Faster Wireless Networks - Digital - AdAge
AT&T is joining the mobile speed race with Verizon Communications , outlining plans for faster wireless technology to meet the increasing demand ...

Hopelessly broken wireless burglar alarm lets intruders go undetected
... than 200,000 homes has an unfixable flaw that allows tech-savvy burglars to disarm the alarm from as far away as a few hundred feet. The wireless ...

Microsoft announces a new Windows 10-friendly Wireless Display Adapter
Microsoft launched its original Wireless Display Adapter back in 2014. The accessory allows anyone to wirelessly beam content from a Miracast-enabled ...

Galaxy S7: Official video confirms wireless charging and waterproofing
It’s not that we didn’t have enough Galaxy S7 leaks already, but we didn’t have any video leaks starring Samsung’s upcoming smartphone. So Samsung ...

OK, this is the fastest wireless carrier in the nation
Just two weeks after one testing firm crowned T-Mobile the speed king, a new study claims one of its rivals actually has the superior network. ...

AT&T to run field trials of 5G wireless in Austin this year
AT&T announced today it will being field trials of faster 5G wireless technology this summer in Austin, Texas. The 3GPP industry standard for ...