Can a USB port used by a printer be used for a scanner?

I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port
normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use
the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when
needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the
scanner after installing the software
0
blackhead
1/24/2008 6:39:16 PM
comp.periphs.scanners 6113 articles. 0 followers. use_my_web_form (7) is leader. Post Follow

In principle, yes, you can do that.  However, some devices will only
work with root ports (motherboard ports) and won't work on a hub port.
And a particular product's drivers might behave in an unconventional way
that, for that device, prohibited a mode of operation that otherwise
should be possible.

blackhead wrote:
> I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port
> normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use
> the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when
> needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the
> scanner after installing the software
0
Barry
1/25/2008 3:21:04 AM
"blackhead" <larryharson@softhome.net> wrote in message
> I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port
> normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use
> the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when
> needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the
> scanner after installing the software

Yes you should be able to do so.  Did you have the scanner plugged into the
port when the software was installed?  My Epson scanner had all sorts of
notices not to have the connection until after the software was installed.
Is the port on a hub?  If so, try moving to a connection directly off the
motherboard.

0
Boskey