f



Film scanner for 2 1/4 inch by 2 1/4 inch #2

Hi,

I have hundreds of APS, 35mm, and 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch negatives that
I
would like to scan.

I posted an item on this newsgroup in October, 2003. So far, I have
not yet bought a new scanner.

My main requirement is that it handles 21/4 inch separate negatives.

PC Pro magazine reviewed the Canon Canoscan 8800F recently.
See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128849/canon-canoscan-8800f.html
It gave a good review.

I phoned Canon to see if it could handle separate 2 1/4 inch
negatives. They said it could.

Has anyone used this scanner? If so, that do you think about it.

Which other scanners in current production could comply with my
requirement while being a good general purpose scanner?

Thanks much for your help..
0
Jim
12/1/2007 5:24:01 PM
comp.periphs.scanners 6113 articles. 0 followers. use_my_web_form (7) is leader. Post Follow

5 Replies
761 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 14

"Jim" <koehler@btinternet.com> wrote in message 
news:6ee1496c-ebaf-4043-9e5c-b889d35a2864@b15g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have hundreds of APS, 35mm, and 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch negatives that
> I
> would like to scan.
>
> I posted an item on this newsgroup in October, 2003. So far, I have
> not yet bought a new scanner.
>
> My main requirement is that it handles 21/4 inch separate negatives.
>
> PC Pro magazine reviewed the Canon Canoscan 8800F recently.
> See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128849/canon-canoscan-8800f.html
> It gave a good review.
>
> I phoned Canon to see if it could handle separate 2 1/4 inch
> negatives. They said it could.
>
> Has anyone used this scanner? If so, that do you think about it.
>
> Which other scanners in current production could comply with my
> requirement while being a good general purpose scanner?
>
> Thanks much for your help..

I have not used the 8800F, but I do have the earlier 8400F which is an older 
model of the same scanner. I works pretty well. 120 film is large to start 
with so not so much demand on the scanner.

I think Canon makes great scanners.

Much cheaper than a dedicated film scanner for 120 film.

-- 
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
-- 


0
CSM1
12/2/2007 1:15:33 AM
It is not inappropriate to consider multiple devices for the different 
film types.

The Nikon 35mm scanners will scan APS film with an adapter that is not 
too hard to get and not too expensive.

For medium format film, your best bet is probably an Epson flatbed, 
maybe a 4490 if you don't want to spring for a more expensive model.


Jim wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have hundreds of APS, 35mm, and 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch negatives that
> I
> would like to scan.
> 
> I posted an item on this newsgroup in October, 2003. So far, I have
> not yet bought a new scanner.
> 
> My main requirement is that it handles 21/4 inch separate negatives.
> 
> PC Pro magazine reviewed the Canon Canoscan 8800F recently.
> See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128849/canon-canoscan-8800f.html
> It gave a good review.
> 
> I phoned Canon to see if it could handle separate 2 1/4 inch
> negatives. They said it could.
> 
> Has anyone used this scanner? If so, that do you think about it.
> 
> Which other scanners in current production could comply with my
> requirement while being a good general purpose scanner?
> 
> Thanks much for your help..
0
Barry
12/2/2007 1:52:31 AM
Jim wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have hundreds of APS, 35mm, and 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch negatives that
> I
> would like to scan.
> 
> I posted an item on this newsgroup in October, 2003. So far, I have
> not yet bought a new scanner.
> 
> My main requirement is that it handles 21/4 inch separate negatives.
> 
> PC Pro magazine reviewed the Canon Canoscan 8800F recently.
> See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128849/canon-canoscan-8800f.html
> It gave a good review.
> 
> I phoned Canon to see if it could handle separate 2 1/4 inch
> negatives. They said it could.
> 
> Has anyone used this scanner? If so, that do you think about it.
> 
> Which other scanners in current production could comply with my
> requirement while being a good general purpose scanner?
> 
> Thanks much for your help..

I have the 9950F, the bigger brother to the 8800F, and it scans 35mm and 
2 1/4 negs very well, including black and white negs.  FARE, the 
scratch-reducing software also works well on color images, but not on 
black and white - ICE doesn't either.  They are good scanners, but if 
you can, spring for the 9950F, it handles up to 30 35mm or 12 2 1/4 negs 
at one time.

Colin D.

-- 
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

0
Colin_D
12/2/2007 10:34:20 AM
On Dec 2, 5:34 am, Colin_D <nos...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have hundreds of APS, 35mm, and 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch negatives that
> > I
> > would like to scan.
>
> > I posted an item on this newsgroup in October, 2003. So far, I have
> > not yet bought a new scanner.
>
> > My main requirement is that it handles 21/4 inch separate negatives.
>
> > PC Pro magazine reviewed the Canon Canoscan 8800F recently.
> > Seehttp://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128849/canon-canoscan-8800f.html
> > It gave a good review.
>
> > I phoned Canon to see if it could handle separate 2 1/4 inch
> > negatives. They said it could.
>
> > Has anyone used this scanner? If so, that do you think about it.
>
> > Which other scanners in current production could comply with my
> > requirement while being a good general purpose scanner?
>
> > Thanks much for your help..
>
> I have the 9950F, the bigger brother to the 8800F, and it scans 35mm and
> 2 1/4 negs very well, including black and white negs.  FARE, the
> scratch-reducing software also works well on color images, but not on
> black and white - ICE doesn't either.  They are good scanners, but if
> you can, spring for the 9950F, it handles up to 30 35mm or 12 2 1/4 negs
> at one time.
>
> Colin D.
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com


Check out the Epson V700 will do all negs up to 8x10. I have done 35mm
(mostly for PowerPoint, 2 1/4 film and 4x5 for print. It is one nice
scanner especially for anything better you would have to go at 3-4x
its price for a Nikon LS9000.

Tom
0
tomm42
12/3/2007 3:30:37 PM
tomm42 <tmonego@wildblue.net> wrote:
> 
> Check out the Epson V700 will do all negs up to 8x10. I have done 35mm
> (mostly for PowerPoint, 2 1/4 film and 4x5 for print. It is one nice
> scanner especially for anything better you would have to go at 3-4x
> its price for a Nikon LS9000.
> 
However it does have its problems.  I have a V700 and the most
difficult issue is holding 6x6 negatives flat.  If your negatives are
in strips then maybe the supplied Epson film holders will work for you
but if you have single 6x6 negatives you'll have a problem.

I found the best way in the end was to lay the negatives flat on
the glass and use the film holder on top of them to hold them flat,
i.e. with the film holder placed so it holds two edges of the film
fairly close to the glass.

It's OK if you want to spend a lot of time on a few negatives but for
archiving a fair number it's difficult.

-- 
Chris Green
0
tinnews
12/3/2007 5:14:24 PM
Reply: