HP 4890 & HP software

Looking for any comments on the HP 4890 & its software package. I plan to
scan the old 35mm & 2 1/4 slides. Ease of use and speed are important. I
don't have a critical eye. I have a Canon 5000F for document scanning. Any
comments or opinions will be appreciated.
Art

0
art5533
9/12/2005 12:05:11 PM
comp.periphs.scanners 6113 articles. 0 followers. use_my_web_form (7) is leader. Post Follow

I've had a 4890 for about 3 days.

Scanning slides is great.
I've scanned about 2000 slides so far. I've been scanning at 2400dpi.
Someone else was posting that it wasn't actually noticeable/usable at 4800
or 9600 dpi.

It has a template for 16 35mm slides and the software lets you scan all of
them in a single pass.
It takes ~30 seconds per slide.  The only hard part is if you have very dark
slides they don't auto detect correctly and you have to manually select them
and set the brightness.

There is another template for large format, I don't now if that's the 21/2
slides.  Haven't used it.

Negatives however scan very slowly (for me) ~140 seconds to scan a 35mm
negative at 2400dpi.
If I set the software to slide (instead of negative) and scan the negatives
the scan at ~33 seconds each.  But then I have to post process them in
Photoshop.

"art5533" <art5533@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Looking for any comments on the HP 4890 & its software package. I plan to
> scan the old 35mm & 2 1/4 slides. Ease of use and speed are important. I
> don't have a critical eye. I have a Canon 5000F for document scanning. Any
> comments or opinions will be appreciated.
> Art

0
Robert
10/26/2005 12:31:22 PM
Robert wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Negatives however scan very slowly (for me) ~140 seconds to scan a 35mm
> negative at 2400dpi.
> If I set the software to slide (instead of negative) and scan the
> negatives
> the scan at ~33 seconds each.  But then I have to post process them in
> Photoshop.

The difference is most probably due to the fact that different exposure
times are used for negatives than for slides.
My scanner also takes much longer to scan in negative mode, because of that.

Scanning as positive and then post-processing is *not* something I think is
wise, unless one then sets the exposure times manually to best match what's
required by the film (however, the scan time will get long again this way).

I must say that 33s vs 140s looks a bit like too much of a difference: I
would have expected negatives taking three times as long as positive,
roughly.

> [snip]

by LjL
ljlbox@tiscali.it
0
Lorenzo

hp
I have - hope sometime not so long ago, to say: "I had" - an hp pavillion zv5290ea. Some time - 8 months ( could you beleive it? ) - my dvd drive has gone away. I've done a million of calls to hp support center and they didn't change my drive neither wanted to see it. I also have a hp printer, that does not work well, it always has printing problems. A friend of mine told me that hp is going to be splited again into hp and compaq. Could this be true? ...

HP scanner software & Cannon scanner
I have a Canon scanner. Software went bad, so I installed software from my old HP scanner. Li'l problem: software won't initialize. Now what? Ideas appreciated. TIA clueless1 In article <4jmTa.59392$R92.12228@news2.central.cox.net>, covington13@cox.net says... > I have a Canon scanner. Software went bad, so I installed software from my > old HP scanner. Li'l problem: software won't initialize. Now what? Ideas > appreciated. TIA clueless1 Scanning interfaces are manufacturer specific. Can't you download or get replacement CD ...

HP 3330 with ABBYY FineReader 7.0 Professional Edition software
I am using ABBYY FineReader 7.0 Professional Edition software with a HP3330 Printer/scanner/fax. When I try to use the software (scanning a document) it is asking for twain drivers, but in the menu I don't have any options (empty). I have installed the HP 3330 drivers but apparently the software cant find any!!! could anyone give a suggestion as to what I can do to fix this problem? thanks Bobby "Bobby" <bobby@royal.net> wrote in message news:427f7a8f$0$295$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk... > I am using ABBYY FineReader 7.0 Professional Editi...

HP Director for HP 4570c scanner
I have an HP 4570c scanner that I moved from one computer to install on another. Scanner and software was working fine on th old computer. When I installed it on the new computer and try to use HP Director I keep getting this message. "An error occured communicating with the scanning device.Please ensure the scanning device is connected properly and try again." I can scan a document or picture using the HP Photo and Imaging tool but the client wants the HP Director. I have installed the HP Solution Centre and I keep getting the same error message. I do not have IE7 installed. I h...

<Plug> Hewlett-Packard MPE/iX & HP-UX Servers and peripherals (Buy & Sell
We at Cypress Technology would like to take this opportunity to reintroduce ourselves to you and any new members of your organization. As a friendly reminder, Cypress Technology was established to provide our clients with the best values on Hewlett Packard HP-UX & MPE/iX systems and all related peripherals. If you are searching for any Hewlett-Packard hardware at this time or looking to upgrade an existing server or workstation, let me know and I can give a competitive price quotation for your needs. Feel free to call or email if you have any HP hardware that you wish to sel...

HP Scanner Software
I have a HP 3970 scanner.. Is there any other software available for this scanner? The software that came with it is to automatic and doesn't leave enough control to the operator. Thanks, Geno --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.521 / Virus Database: 319 - Release Date: 9/23/2003 ...

Astech Hardcase for HP 32SII, HP 42S, HP 22S, HP 32S, HP 17BII, PIONEER SERIES
Just got some brand new Astech Industries hardcases. Email iqbal@tstt.net.tt for further information. Ideal hardcase for protecting your pioneer series calculator. ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G Pinout Question...
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row connector, 2mm headers? Also if yes above, do any other HP calculators have the same pinouts as above? Thanx. Therese wrote: > Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) > have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row > connector, 2mm headers? I know these calculators have the same hardware (apart from memory), then they have the same pinout. I know at least ...

[...]

HP-49G, HP-49G+, HP-42S
Hmm.... Back when I was an engineering undergrad (1989) I purchased an HP-42S calculator. That calculator quickly became indispensible to me. Without it all my engineering homework and exams would have been much harder. To this day I still use it as my primary calculator. With the leather carrying case I purchased for it back then the calculator has remained in pristine condition save for a little dust now and then. I decided about a year ago to purchase the HP-49G because I honestly thought that HP was getting out of the calculator business forever and it had been over ten years since ...

<Plug> HP e3000 (MPE/iX) & HP 9000 (HP-UX) Server
Below is a pricing guide of internal disk drives for most of the HP e3000 & HP 9000 server line. Feel free to email if you have any questions or want pricing but do not see your HP server listed. All disks have a one-year warranty & include mounting hardware.=20 HP e3000 (MPE/iX) & 9000 (HP-UX) Server - Internal Disk Drives HP e3000 - A & N Class MPE/iX Servers HP 9000 - rp74xx, rp54xx, rp24xx, N4000, A500, & L2000 Class HP-UX Servers=20 36GB Hot Plug Ultra2 SCSI Disk Drive - $160.00 73GB Hot Plug Ultra2 SCSI Disk Drive - $275.00 146GB Hot Plug Ultra2 SCSI D...

Web resources about - HP 4890 & HP software - comp.periphs.scanners

Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer software or simply software is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer 's processor to perform specific operations. ...

Questioning Software
I first attempted to use HealthCare.gov to learn about options for covering my granddaughter, who is not covered by my employer-subsidized insurance. ...

Lessons Learned by a Solo Entrepreneur - Software by Rob
... is written by Rob Walling, a serial web entrepreneur. He writes about startups, internet marketing, SEO, and other topics that interest software ...

Renaissance Software
We help individuals and companies to apply state of the art design and process technologies to both embedded and non-embedded software development. ...

Business of Software
Checking form... [x] Receive Updates Search Boston 2012 October 1st-3rd Earlybird tickets from $1,695 Register Earlybird rate available for: ...

Scaling Software Agility - Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell
Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell

Software on the Side
While I was at Ancestry.com, we used the StrengthsFinder assessment to give us insights into ourselves. If you haven’t taken it, I highly recommend ...

The Famous Software Company - Development Blog
A year ago I was looking for an app that enabled me to stream audio from iTunes to my iPhone. I was sharing an apartment at the time, and in ...

A Software Insider's Point of View
Innovative CIO’s Betting On Disruptive Technologies That Impact Enterprise Business Value In the Four Personas of the Next Gen CIO published ...