HP OfficeJet 6110 destroys my HP 56 ink cartridges regularly

My HP OfficeJet 6110 multifunction printer destroys black ink
cartridges every couple of months.
I print very infrequently (about 10 pages in 6 months?) and the HP 56
(original) cartridges, still with much ink in them, quit working after
that time.
I've got 3 damaged cartridges so far.

Error message that appears after a couple of months is:
  Remove and check cartridge
  Right Cartridge Incorrect

The color cartridge is never affected.

I have tried cleaning the contacts, printer reset routines, re-install
printer firmware, etc.
The only thing that works is to put in a brand new HP 56 cartridge, and
it will work for the next couple of months.

The first 2 times, HP gave me a replacement cartridge.
Now that my printer warranty is over, they claim the printer is at
fault and they will no longer replace a under-warranty cartridge that
gets damaged.

Any ideas what might be happening here?
And is there a way to continue using the fax (for sending only) or
scanner (with its auto-document feeder) without having to install an
ink cartridge?

Thanks.

0
OJ
1/12/2006 2:53:56 AM
comp.periphs.scanners 6113 articles. 0 followers. use_my_web_form (7) is leader. Post Follow

There is a service trick, once the printer decides that the cartridge is
bad , you will never get it cleared. So if you open up the lid, as if to
replace the cartridges, you can carefully detach the hinge at the bottom
pivot  and open the top wide open. On the Left hand side you will see a
round flat battery - you want to remove the battery and then replace it
after about a minute. Just be careful and ground your body to a metal
part of the case, have ALL cables unplugged before you do touch it and
be carefull as the chips on the circuit board are static sensitive. Also
try not to hold the battery by the top and bottom - it may short circuit
and you will have to replace it.
This will reset the ram and clear the error until it detects again.
If it immediately comes back, then you may very well have a failed printer.

OJ wrote:
> My HP OfficeJet 6110 multifunction printer destroys black ink
> cartridges every couple of months.
> I print very infrequently (about 10 pages in 6 months?) and the HP 56
> (original) cartridges, still with much ink in them, quit working after
> that time.
> I've got 3 damaged cartridges so far.
>
> Error message that appears after a couple of months is:
>   Remove and check cartridge
>   Right Cartridge Incorrect
>
> The color cartridge is never affected.
>
> I have tried cleaning the contacts, printer reset routines, re-install
> printer firmware, etc.
> The only thing that works is to put in a brand new HP 56 cartridge, and
> it will work for the next couple of months.
>
> The first 2 times, HP gave me a replacement cartridge.
> Now that my printer warranty is over, they claim the printer is at
> fault and they will no longer replace a under-warranty cartridge that
> gets damaged.
>
> Any ideas what might be happening here?
> And is there a way to continue using the fax (for sending only) or
> scanner (with its auto-document feeder) without having to install an
> ink cartridge?
>
> Thanks.

0
degrub
1/13/2006 2:54:07 AM
Since you are printing so seldom, how about Kinkos ? It would be cheaper
than a cartridge. Another choice is to print a test page at least once a
  week, to keep the ink flowing. OR you could switch to a laserjet for B&W.

degrub wrote:

> There is a service trick, once the printer decides that the cartridge is
> bad , you will never get it cleared. So if you open up the lid, as if to
> replace the cartridges, you can carefully detach the hinge at the bottom
> pivot  and open the top wide open. On the Left hand side you will see a
> round flat battery - you want to remove the battery and then replace it
> after about a minute. Just be careful and ground your body to a metal
> part of the case, have ALL cables unplugged before you do touch it and
> be carefull as the chips on the circuit board are static sensitive. Also
> try not to hold the battery by the top and bottom - it may short circuit
> and you will have to replace it.
> This will reset the ram and clear the error until it detects again.
> If it immediately comes back, then you may very well have a failed printer.
>
> OJ wrote:
>
>> My HP OfficeJet 6110 multifunction printer destroys black ink
>> cartridges every couple of months.
>> I print very infrequently (about 10 pages in 6 months?) and the HP 56
>> (original) cartridges, still with much ink in them, quit working after
>> that time.
>> I've got 3 damaged cartridges so far.
>>
>> Error message that appears after a couple of months is:
>>   Remove and check cartridge
>>   Right Cartridge Incorrect
>>
>> The color cartridge is never affected.
>>
>> I have tried cleaning the contacts, printer reset routines, re-install
>> printer firmware, etc.
>> The only thing that works is to put in a brand new HP 56 cartridge, and
>> it will work for the next couple of months.
>>
>> The first 2 times, HP gave me a replacement cartridge.
>> Now that my printer warranty is over, they claim the printer is at
>> fault and they will no longer replace a under-warranty cartridge that
>> gets damaged.
>>
>> Any ideas what might be happening here?
>> And is there a way to continue using the fax (for sending only) or
>> scanner (with its auto-document feeder) without having to install an
>> ink cartridge?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
degrub
1/13/2006 3:06:49 AM
OJ wrote:
> My HP OfficeJet 6110 multifunction printer destroys black ink
> cartridges every couple of months.
> I print very infrequently (about 10 pages in 6 months?) and the HP 56
> (original) cartridges, still with much ink in them, quit working after
> that time.
> I've got 3 damaged cartridges so far.
>
> Error message that appears after a couple of months is:
>   Remove and check cartridge
>   Right Cartridge Incorrect
>
> The color cartridge is never affected.
>
> I have tried cleaning the contacts, printer reset routines, re-install
> printer firmware, etc.
> The only thing that works is to put in a brand new HP 56 cartridge, and
> it will work for the next couple of months.
>
> The first 2 times, HP gave me a replacement cartridge.
> Now that my printer warranty is over, they claim the printer is at
> fault and they will no longer replace a under-warranty cartridge that
> gets damaged.
>
> Any ideas what might be happening here?
> And is there a way to continue using the fax (for sending only) or
> scanner (with its auto-document feeder) without having to install an
> ink cartridge?
>
> Thanks.

If as Degrub says the problem is that the cartridge has been ID'd as bad
regardless of it actually is, then there should be an easier way to
reset it without removing a battery. The printer can only store 2
cartridge IDs in memory at a time. So save your old cartridges and just
rotate at least 2 of them in sequence before putting in the problem
cartridge. It only takes a few seconds after you close the lid to
register the ID. You don't need to go thru the whole calibration
sequence if your printer does this. After you put your second junker
cartridge into the printer the printer memory has no choice but to dump
info on the problem cartridge because of the limited memory storage. If
you don't have extra cartridges you could try this tape method.

http://www.inksunlimited.com/hp6657A.html

Just like Degrub said, if it still comes up bad then there is a
possibility it really is.
0
tomcas
1/15/2006 1:55:43 AM
degrub wrote:
> There is a service trick, once the printer decides that the cartridge is
> bad , you will never get it cleared. So if you open up the lid, as if to
> replace the cartridges, you can carefully detach the hinge at the bottom
> pivot  and open the top wide open. On the Left hand side you will see a
> round flat battery

I couldn't find the battery.
The HP OfficeJet 6110 is hinged at 2 points (plastic pivots).
When you detach the hinged points, the lid (containing the flatbed
scanner) swings wide open, but there are no exposed electronic parts
here.
You will need a special screwdriver (looks like a star) to open 6
screws to get any further.

0
hpojq
1/18/2006 3:37:24 PM
tomcas wrote:
> If as Degrub says the problem is that the cartridge has been ID'd as bad
> regardless of it actually is, then there should be an easier way to
> reset it without removing a battery. The printer can only store 2
> cartridge IDs in memory at a time. So save your old cartridges and just
> rotate at least 2 of them in sequence before putting in the problem
> cartridge.

I have 3 bad original HP 56 cartridges now.
I tried rotating them, and still get the same error message.

> Just like Degrub said, if it still comes up bad then there is a
> possibility it really is.

These cartridges used to work for a while.
(The 3rd cartridge is still under HP cartridge warranty)
And there is ink in them.
Did my Printer destroy the cartridges?

I wish I could try these cartridges in another HP Printer to confirm.

Thanks.

0
hpojq
1/18/2006 3:43:10 PM
OK, take a look at this from the HP support site

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=946737

hpojq@yahoo.com wrote:
> degrub wrote:
>
>>There is a service trick, once the printer decides that the cartridge is
>>bad , you will never get it cleared. So if you open up the lid, as if to
>>replace the cartridges, you can carefully detach the hinge at the bottom
>>pivot  and open the top wide open. On the Left hand side you will see a
>>round flat battery
>

> I couldn't find the battery.
> The HP OfficeJet 6110 is hinged at 2 points (plastic pivots).
> When you detach the hinged points, the lid (containing the flatbed
> scanner) swings wide open, but there are no exposed electronic parts
> here.
> You will need a special screwdriver (looks like a star) to open 6
> screws to get any further.

0
degrub
1/19/2006 3:22:01 AM
degrub wrote:
> OK, take a look at this from the HP support site
>
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=946737

Thanks for the link, degrub!
It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.
And I do have the latest firmware, which I was asked to re-install a
number of times.

Anyone know of a good multi-function (copy/scan/fax/print) inkjet with
a flatbed scanner and a 10-page (min) auto-document feeder that is less
problematic than my HP OfficeJet 6110?

0
OJ
1/19/2006 4:25:03 PM
hpojq@yahoo.com wrote:
> tomcas wrote:
>
>>If as Degrub says the problem is that the cartridge has been ID'd as bad
>>regardless of it actually is, then there should be an easier way to
>>reset it without removing a battery. The printer can only store 2
>>cartridge IDs in memory at a time. So save your old cartridges and just
>>rotate at least 2 of them in sequence before putting in the problem
>>cartridge.
>

> I have 3 bad original HP 56 cartridges now.
> I tried rotating them,

You installed each one with the power on and closing  the lid each time
long enough for the cartridges to be recognized, right?

  and still get the same error message.

If so, your cartridge may be dead.

>>Just like Degrub said, if it still comes up bad then there is a
>>possibility it really is.
>

> These cartridges used to work for a while.
> (The 3rd cartridge is still under HP cartridge warranty)
> And there is ink in them.
> Did my Printer destroy the cartridges?

I doubt it very much.

> I wish I could try these cartridges in another HP Printer to confirm.
>
> Thanks.

0
tomcas
1/20/2006 12:42:49 AM
tomcas wrote:
> hpojq@yahoo.com wrote:
> > tomcas wrote:
> >
> >>If as Degrub says the problem is that the cartridge has been ID'd as bad
> >>regardless of it actually is, then there should be an easier way to
> >>reset it without removing a battery. The printer can only store 2
> >>cartridge IDs in memory at a time. So save your old cartridges and just
> >>rotate at least 2 of them in sequence before putting in the problem
> >>cartridge.
> >

> > I have 3 bad original HP 56 cartridges now.
> > I tried rotating them,
>
> You installed each one with the power on and closing  the lid each time
> long enough for the cartridges to be recognized, right?

Yes.
I even waited for the initialization to complete and the error message
to appear before putting the next cartridge in.
I've also tried changing the order of swapped cartridges.
On one of the cartridges, I actaully saw the message to hit Enter to
start the alignment process.
As soon as I did that, the error message appeared.

>   and still get the same error message.
>
> If so, your cartridge may be dead.

That will be 3 dead HP 56 original cartridges (still with a lot of ink
in them) in less than 2 years.

> >>Just like Degrub said, if it still comes up bad then there is a
> >>possibility it really is.
> >

> > These cartridges used to work for a while.
> > (The 3rd cartridge is still under HP cartridge warranty)
> > And there is ink in them.
> > Did my Printer destroy the cartridges?
>
> I doubt it very much.

I hear the electonics on the cartridge have a limited lifespan.
(That's why some people say the recycled HP 56 cartridges have a lower
success rate of working after refilling).
I've always used brand new HP 56 original cartridges; 2 of them shipped
to me by HP directly.
My theory is that my Officejet 6110 is sending more current into the
cartridges than the average officejet 6110, which prematurely destroys
the cartridges.

I wish they constructed the HP Officejets like some Epson multifunction
printers (where you can still use the scanner without installing an ink
cartridge).

0
OJ

hp 45 ink with hp 56
i went to a local dealer to buy black ink for the 5652 and he gave me ink for hp 45 cart.He told that this ink works fine with the 56 cart. Should i use it? The ink is made from inktec. Thank's The ink for #45 is different from it for #56. "XXXX" <dimitriskal1@tin.it> wrote in message news:%gZjb.9190$e5.315396@news1.tin.it... > i went to a local dealer to buy black ink for the 5652 and he gave me > ink for hp 45 cart.He told that this ink works fine with the 56 cart. > Should i use it? > The ink is made from inktec. > > Thank's &...

Cheap ink source for HP inks? (And are HP ink Pigmented or not?)
So with all these different kinds of inks floating around... what does HP use? Pigmented ink or not? and who here with HP printers refills and where do you get your inks? I've been buying locally- $20 for a 3 color kit with 32ml of each color. Or I can buy 60ml of each color for $11/ea. But I've seen prices online for $10-$15 for 8oz or more of each color. What kinds of ink do I want for a HP 7660 #57 tri-color cart? Any advice would be appreciated. All HP ink jet printers use dye inks. As far as I know, only certain Epson printers use pigmented inks. Lynn &qu...

HP Officejet 6110 scanner light
I have an HP Officejet 6110. It is great except that its scan light appears to be permanently on, even when it has not been used for days. I am concerned that this will prematurely age the scan light. Is there any way of putting the scan light into a standby mode? Steve Luttrell I was just going through tech support with this issue. They sent me a new printer which did it as well. then they had me change the standby mode setting under maintenance to 1 hour. Apparently it was set to 12 hours. I'll know if it works in 53 minutes... I'll post back. Jesse "Steve Luttrell&...

How to reset ink indicator on HP 10 and HP 11 cartridges
Hi Does anyone know how to reset the ink indicator on the HP 10 and the HP 11 ink cartridges for the printer. I am using the HP Business Printer 1100d. Thanks Mike C ...

Great Deal on Ink Cartridges hp 78 and HP 45
Ink Cartridges Hp78 and Hp45 - You know how expensive they are! Here is a great deal http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Genuine-Ink-Cartridge-45-78-Brand-New-Sealed-NR_W0QQitemZ190144389918QQihZ009QQcategoryZ51319QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem "Kingf" <tax@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:bF0Ai.13249$4w7.10251@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net... > > Ink Cartridges Hp78 and Hp45 - You know how expensive they are! Here is > a great deal Comp.periphs.printers is not a forsale group. Please do not post eBay auctions (or other sale items) here. - ...

HP 15 Black Ink Cartridge (C6615D)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6724573030 GENUINE HP 15 Black Ink Cartridge (C6615D) I have 2 of these available... Will ship to the USA and anywhere else in the World! Brand new - expiry dates are various dates in Jan/Feb 2006. This product is suitable for: HP PSC 500 HP Deskjet 812C HP Deskjet 810C HP PSC 950 HP PSC 750 HP Officejet V45 HP Officejet V40 HP Officejet K80 HP Officejet K60 HP Officejet 5110 HP Deskjet 940C HP Deskjet 920C HP Deskjet 3820 HP Deskjet 845C HP Deskjet 843C HP Deskjet 842C HP Deskjet 840C HP Deskjet...

HP Officejet 6110's scanner
My HP Officejet 6110 works good except the scanner always annoys me. No matter I initiate scan on my desktop or copy a document on the front panel, almost 95% of chace that scan/copy does not start immediately. The scanner seems to take a long time (say 1 minute) for warming up. I do not see this problem on other 6110. Does any expert have suggestion to fix it? Ed I don't know you specific scanner. However, most scanners require the bulb (lamp) to be warmed up and then calibrated to provide accurate color scanning. If the scanner is the type that has the bulb go out a...

Galerie Pear Paper on HP OfficeJet 4200 series & HP ink
Hi there, I've been using this paper with this printer for a few months now without problem. I have a colour calibrated system. However, I tried printing a black and white image for the first time yesterday and unfortunately in natural daylight there is a significant green colour cast to the image. The image uses an RGB colour space where half of the print contains a colour image, the other half the b&w image. The b&w image really is grey-scale. I print using the 'hp premium plus photo paper, matte' setting. I was unable to choose 'black print cartridg...

Good non HP ink replacement for HP Vivera ( HP A168 )
I have a HP A618 compact printer which uses just a single 3 colour 5.5ml cartridge, the ink is stated as Vivera. The cartridge number is HP 110 (CB304AE) I have refilled the cartridge using JetTec universal ink which seems to give acceptable results, but wondered if anyone can suggest anything better? For anyone wanting to refill these carts, the colours are as below on the top of the cart, with 'Y' being nearest the front (electrical contact) end. If you remove the sticker on top of the cart, it exposes the holes for the ink, (no drilling needed). After refilling, ...

HP Officejet 6100
Over the years I've had several HP printers and they all have had the print= heads in the ink cartridges. I just got the Officejet 6100 ePrinter (not = an AIO). It has 4 ink cartridges which are very slim and there is no prote= ctive tape on them to protect any print heads. You just take a cartridge o= ut of the box and push it into the printer. So, I think this means the print heads are NOT in the cartridges. Right? --Larry Quite right, the print head is fully removable 'see this link' (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c0...

HP 56/57/58 cartridge ink dynamics
I have noticed that cartridge protective plastic bag (in the cardboard shipping box) is perforated. I also noticed that upper cartridge plenum is ventilated (through some labyrinth passages) to atmosphere. My question is - why ink in the cartridge is not drying out? Where I can find more information about design of this small marvel? Kind regards Tadeusz On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:35:03 +0100, "Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" <tkorsak@polbox.com> wrote: >I have noticed that cartridge protective plastic bag (in the cardboard >shipping box) is perforated. >...

How do I get HP Officejet 6110 scanner to work on FC4
I have an HP OfficeJet 6110 All in One. The printer works fine but I can't get the scanner to work with FC4. A long time ago I briefly had it working on another distro, might have been Mandrake 10 but I don't remember, so it's possible. Does anyone know how to get it to work on FC4? General Schvantzkoph wrote: > I have an HP OfficeJet 6110 All in One. The printer works fine but I can't > get the scanner to work with FC4. A long time ago I briefly had it working > on another distro, might have been Mandrake 10 but I don't remember, so > it's possible. >...

Web resources about - HP OfficeJet 6110 destroys my HP 56 ink cartridges regularly - comp.periphs.scanners

Cartridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TI-99/4A Pitfall cartridge demo - YouTube
Retrocloud's adaptation of the classic Pitfall game - for the TI-99/4A. Filip has remade the classic game, and it works in a 32K EPROM! (Sorry ...

Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges
Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges

Atari's E.T. The Extraterrestrial cartridges found in landfill
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari E.T. The Extraterrestrial game cartridges ...

Diggers find hundreds of Atari 'E.T.' and other game cartridges in New Mexico landfill - CTV News
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari "E.T." game cartridges that some call the ...

Dollar Shave Club Claims to Top Schick As No. 2 Razor Cartridge
Dollar Shave Club claims it passed Schick to become the No. 2 razor cartridge brand by volume in July, a little more than three years after the ...

Rocker Releases Album on Nintendo Gaming Cartridges
Rocker Jon Black, who performs as Fort Atlantic, decided to offer his latest album on original Nintendo cartridges. As the music industry's brick-and-mortar ...

“Empty” Epson ink cartridges are still 20 percent full
The high-end Epson 9900 printer, which retails for around £3,000 ($5,000), reports that ink cartridges are empty even when they are still about ...

This is why our brains lied to us about blowing into Nintendo cartridges
Before they were the basis of hip soaps or remade as even hipper clocks, Nintendo’s cartridge games were a source of delight and vexation for ...