LS4000 Won't scan some 35mm film (won't take it in and lock).

Hi-

I have a problem where occasionally the film won't load and lock.
There seems to be no reason why as there is clear frame spacings on
the film and it was developed fine.  There is also (what I believe) a
decent amount of space at the beginning of the frame.  EG.  There is
about 1/32" (roughly) of space between the sprocket and the end of the
film.

Does anyone else have this problem with their LS 4000?

I am using Vuescan 7.something although that isn't really relative.

Thanks for all info!
0
fotoobscura
12/3/2004 8:50:43 PM
comp.periphs.scanners 6113 articles. 0 followers. use_my_web_form (7) is leader. Post Follow

In article <7d43074e.0412031250.7639ca43@posting.google.com>, inquiring
mind <fotoobscura@gmail.com> writes
>Hi-
>
>I have a problem where occasionally the film won't load and lock.
>There seems to be no reason why as there is clear frame spacings on
>the film and it was developed fine.  There is also (what I believe) a
>decent amount of space at the beginning of the frame.  EG.  There is
>about 1/32" (roughly) of space between the sprocket and the end of the
>film.
>
>Does anyone else have this problem with their LS 4000?
>
>I am using Vuescan 7.something although that isn't really relative.

What do you mean by "Load and lock"?

There is a problem with NikonScan 4.02 with the LS-4000 if the software
is configured to automatically thumbnail the film strip on insertion.
This problem is caused by a fault which means the program locks up if it
tries to thumbnail negative film and is set for positive, or vice versa.
If the film type is different from the default type and the preferences
are set for automatic thumbnail scanning, then the software will lock up
as soon as the film is inserted.

The work around to this is to switch off the automatic thumbnail scan in
the preferences.  This allows you to set the film type correctly and
initiate a thumbnail scan manually.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)

Thanks anyway

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 01:04:08 +0000, Kennedy McEwen
<rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <7d43074e.0412031250.7639ca43@posting.google.com>, inquiring
>mind <fotoobscura@gmail.com> writes
>>Hi-
>>
>>I have a problem where occasionally the film won't load and lock.
>>There seems to be no reason why as there is clear frame spacings on
>>the film and it was developed fine.  There is also (what I believe) a
>>decent amount of space at the beginning of the frame.  EG.  There is
>>about 1/32" (roughly) of space between the sprocket and the end of the
>>film.
>>
>>Does anyone else have this problem with their LS 4000?
>>
>>I am using Vuescan 7.something although that isn't really relative.
>>
>What do you mean by "Load and lock"?
>
>There is a problem with NikonScan 4.02 with the LS-4000 if the software
>is configured to automatically thumbnail the film strip on insertion.
>This problem is caused by a fault which means the program locks up if it
>tries to thumbnail negative film and is set for positive, or vice versa.
>If the film type is different from the default type and the preferences
>are set for automatic thumbnail scanning, then the software will lock up
>as soon as the film is inserted.
>
>The work around to this is to switch off the automatic thumbnail scan in
>the preferences.  This allows you to set the film type correctly and
>initiate a thumbnail scan manually.

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
0
Some
12/4/2004 2:43:42 AM
In article <3292r0tldiqr4id92go9b47vqod1414dnk@4ax.com>, Some Dude
<some@dude.net> writes
>See my message, i'm using Vuescan.

That is why I asked what you meant by "Load and Lock".

>And the software doesn't have
>anything to do with loading the film into the scanner.  The scanner
>manages that.

That depends on what you mean by "Load and lock" - hence explaining the
issue with NikonScan.  I don't know if Vuescan had a similar problem in
the rather dated version that you are using.

--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)
0
Kennedy
12/4/2004 3:20:27 AM
I'm guessing on exactly what you mean by *take in and lock*, but here
goes.  On the LS-4000 (and other similar Nikon scanners) VueScan finds
the film frames based on the location sprocket holes -- often
unsuccessfully or at least not spot-on.  Nikonscan scans the entire
strip and apparently uses the space between frames to locate the
frames -- successful most of the time.  This VueScan problem is a long
known problem that Ed appears to have given up on (but we can always
hope).  The VueScan Users Guide gives instructions on how to use the
frame offset feature to align/center the frames. It is not elegant,
but it does seem to work most of the time.

Jeff Randall

on fotoobscura@gmail.com (inquiring mind) wrote in message news:<7d43074e.0412031250.7639ca43@posting.google.com>...
> Hi-
>
> I have a problem where occasionally the film won't load and lock.
> There seems to be no reason why as there is clear frame spacings on
> the film and it was developed fine.  There is also (what I believe) a
> decent amount of space at the beginning of the frame.  EG.  There is
> about 1/32" (roughly) of space between the sprocket and the end of the
> film.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem with their LS 4000?
>
> I am using Vuescan 7.something although that isn't really relative.
>
> Thanks for all info!
0
jrandall

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

DVD Won't Enter, Won't Exit
Greetings, all. Long time no see. I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004. A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD, but it seems not to have mounted in the drive. The disk is just barely too far inside the machine to reach. It's not visible from the outside at all. I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the first one all the way in, but it won't budge. I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to move. Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweez...

jade won't configere, won't be made..
I try to participate in the translation of the PHP manual and want to install Jade. That one goes wrong: The configure of jade goes wrong. here is the tail of config.log and the tail of the make. I use RH9 ========================================= configure:1791: c++ -o conftest -ansi -O2 -fno-implicit-templates conftest.C 1>&5 configure:1814: checking for gettext in -lintl configure:1836: c++ -o conftest -ansi -O2 -fno-implicit-templates conftest.C -lintl 1>&5 /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lintl collect2: ld returned 1 exit status configure: failed program was: #line 1822 &qu...

4000T won't boot won't POST
I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Even with a new Power supply, nothing seems to power up. Even the floppy doesn't 'flick' (that funny noise it makes upon power-up) Any help appreciated. thanks Phil "Phil Bastien" <pbastien@nnby.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:c9qtlu0na3@enews1.newsguy.com... >...

Shuffle error lights! Won't sync, won't play.
Have had a Shuffle for a few weeks. Worked with Itunes just fine. About a week ago, I bought a regular G4 20GB Ipod and installed it. Also great with Itunes; no problems. Today, I tried to update the songs on the Shuffle. (The Shuffle appears in the left hand pane as one icon, the 20GB Ipod appears as another one.) The update seems to go OK but when I tried to play the songs from the Shuffle, I got no sound and only flashing red and green lights. This, I see in Ipod HELP, is an error message. In Itunes, next to the # of each song supposedly in the Shuffle, is a little grey dot. ...

Shuffle error flashing lights! Won't sync, won't play...
Have had a Shuffle for a few weeks. Worked with Itunes just fine. About a week ago, I bought a regular G4 20GB Ipod and installed it. Also great with Itunes; no problems. Today, I tried to update the songs on the Shuffle. (The Shuffle appears in the left hand pane as one icon, the 20GB Ipod appears as another one.) The update seems to go OK but when I tried to play the songs from the Shuffle, I got no sound and only flashing red and green lights. This, I see in Ipod HELP, is an error message. In Itunes, next to the # of each song supposedly in the Shuffle, is a little grey dot...

database layouts won't print, now database won't open
using Mac OS 10.3.4, filemaker pro 7. working with a database converted from filemaker 3. Everything seemed to be fine. Created a new table and imported data into that from another Filemaker 3 database (someone else created these). Layouts were created very easilly. I go to print a layout (label) and choose ALL and it will only print one record, no matter what I put in the print dialogue box. Open other databases and they all printed fine in similar layouts. Tried to "recover' it, thinking it was somehow corrupted (the woman was having a hard time printing it. I thought it was...

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

Won't complete sync
Today, my m500 won't sync correctly. It will start fine, then hang when it gets half-way through, when it gets to Note Pad (and there is nothing in Note Pad), and then says there was an error. Then it won't reconnect unless I reboot. Where should I start to figure out what the problem may be? I had a similar problem to this where the hotsync was never finishing (after hours of waiting). Problem turned out to be a corrupt datebook record which was fixed from palm desktop - Tools | Options | Tools |Check Now. Worth a try. "VBM" <v.mcalister@nospam.ejgd....

Safari 2.0.5 won't launch; restart won't help
This version of Safari appeared in my Applications folder -- I guess I downloaded it unwittingly during a Software Update? -- and it won't launch. Bounces a couple times in the dock, then stops entirely. Never even gives me a window. I've restarted, no help. I can't go back to the old version, since I've trashed it. How can I get Safari to launch? On 2006-03-17 15:11:09 -0500, Peabo Flegstein-Castroneves <peabo@castroneves.edu> said: > This version of Safari appeared in my Applications folder -- I guess I > downloaded it unwittingly during a Software Update...

Not can't; won't
Ok, looks like I fibbed about my kiss-off being my last post. I couldn't resist reading the responses via the Google archive to my kiss-off. I'm not subscribed and this really will be my last post, because I'll have said what can/should be said. I feel a need to disabuse the Linux bigots of a few points: - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered girls yet. Others of you, before you first got laid. - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days. Editing /etc/inittab just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult. - I c...

Print Spooler won't start; dependent on lexbces.exe but that won't start either; So why?
Windows XP Home SP2 I have two Lexmark printers installed (or at least I used to). Actually, I have the Lexmark folders in Program Files, but the printers don't seem to be installed anymore. The printers are Lexmark 640 series Lexmark 2400 series They pretty much worked until just now. In the Printer and Faxes folder I only see the Add Printer and nothing else. When I try to start Add Printer, I get an alert saying the Printer Spool service isn't running. When I go to (run) services.msc , I find that Print Spooler is stopped. (It's stopped and) It won'...

HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated
System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS. I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2 bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no system on it. I can't get the opitcal dri...

Web resources about - LS4000 Won't scan some 35mm film (won't take it in and lock). - comp.periphs.scanners