Scanner to USB 1.1 or 2.0 - speed ?

I have a Canon 1250UF hooked up to an older USB 1.1 port. I am
considering installing a 2.0 card in the machine to speed up scanning.
But, I am wondering if it makes any practical difference.

Question: does the scanner adjust its actual scan speed to reflect the
USB interface it is attached to? Or does it scan at the same speed
regardless of what type of USB it is hooked up to ? The scanning
process does seem s little slow, but I have nothing to compare it to.
But, once the scanner has made the run across the document, the actual
"transfer" and appearance on the machine it is hooked up to is
instantaneous.

So, will a USB 2.0 connection actually speed the scanning process?

Thanks,

0
Bob
2/10/2006 5:14:13 PM
comp.periphs.scanners 6113 articles. 0 followers. use_my_web_form (7) is leader. Post Follow

The 1250 is an older model, and a slower one. I have one here that has run
on both 1.1 and 2 USB. I saw a very slight improvement in scan speeds on
USB2, but not enough to get very excited about.

"Bob" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
> I have a Canon 1250UF hooked up to an older USB 1.1 port. I am
> considering installing a 2.0 card in the machine to speed up scanning.
> But, I am wondering if it makes any practical difference.
>
> Question: does the scanner adjust its actual scan speed to reflect the
> USB interface it is attached to? Or does it scan at the same speed
> regardless of what type of USB it is hooked up to ? The scanning
> process does seem s little slow, but I have nothing to compare it to.
> But, once the scanner has made the run across the document, the actual
> "transfer" and appearance on the machine it is hooked up to is
> instantaneous.
>
> So, will a USB 2.0 connection actually speed the scanning process?
>
> Thanks,

0
Dan
2/10/2006 5:53:10 PM
In message <nripu1lhmvlfdj47pkrh8tqih0ue7085q0@4ax.com>, Bob
<uctraing@ultranet.com> writes
>I have a Canon 1250UF hooked up to an older USB 1.1 port. I am
>considering installing a 2.0 card in the machine to speed up scanning.
>But, I am wondering if it makes any practical difference.
>
>Question: does the scanner adjust its actual scan speed to reflect the
>USB interface it is attached to? Or does it scan at the same speed
>regardless of what type of USB it is hooked up to ? The scanning
>process does seem s little slow, but I have nothing to compare it to.
>But, once the scanner has made the run across the document, the actual
>"transfer" and appearance on the machine it is hooked up to is
>instantaneous.
>
>So, will a USB 2.0 connection actually speed the scanning process?
>
>Thanks,

Check the information that came with your scanner.  It should say if
it's connection is USB2.0 or the older kind.  Unless it's designed to
use USB2.0 then no, there's no point in doing the upgrade.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:35:45 +0000, Surfer! <surfer@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Check the information that came with your scanner.  It should say if
>it's connection is USB2.0 or the older kind.  Unless it's designed to
>use USB2.0 then no, there's no point in doing the upgrade.

It is a USB 2.0. Will the scan process go any faster or just the final
transfer after the scan is done ?  ('cause the second part is not
slow).

0
Bob
2/10/2006 11:09:14 PM
Bob wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:35:45 +0000, Surfer! <surfer@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

>>Check the information that came with your scanner.  It should say if
>>it's connection is USB2.0 or the older kind.  Unless it's designed to
>>use USB2.0 then no, there's no point in doing the upgrade.
>

> It is a USB 2.0. Will the scan process go any faster or just the final
> transfer after the scan is done ?  ('cause the second part is not
> slow).

I don't have a definitive answer, but this is how I might approach
getting one, using engineering knowledge.

USB 1.1 has a maximum transfer rate of 12 Mb/s. Assume 10 bits are sent
for every byte, and not 8, to allow for a bit of overhead. That gives
USB 1.1 at 1.2 MB/s maximum. The average will not be as high as the
peak, but I might expect it to be half the peak, so say 0.6 MB/s.

Now if you transfer a 12 MB file, at 0.6 MB/s, I might expect that to
take about 20s via USB 1.1. If the scan is taking much over 20 s when
transferring a 12 MB file, then it is not being limited by the USB bus,
but by some other mechanism.

If the scan time is close to what you would expect the bus is capable
of, then it might be limited by the bus. It could however just mean the
bus and mechanics are well matched in speed.

--
Dave K

Dave
2/10/2006 11:45:33 PM

Bob wrote:
> I have a Canon 1250UF hooked up to an older USB 1.1 port. I am
> considering installing a 2.0 card in the machine to speed up scanning.
> But, I am wondering if it makes any practical difference.
>
> Question: does the scanner adjust its actual scan speed to reflect the
> USB interface it is attached to? Or does it scan at the same speed
> regardless of what type of USB it is hooked up to ? The scanning
> process does seem s little slow, but I have nothing to compare it to.
> But, once the scanner has made the run across the document, the actual
> "transfer" and appearance on the machine it is hooked up to is
> instantaneous.
>
> So, will a USB 2.0 connection actually speed the scanning process?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Bob...

The scan isn't at all related to the transfer after the scan is
finished.

The order of operations is - tell the scanner to scan now (virtually
instantaneous).  Then the scanner does its mechanical scan.  Finally
the scanners internal firmware does its thing.  Then the result
is transferred to your computer.

The bottom line is that you won't see (again, virtually) any improvement
in upgrading to 2.0.

Take care.

Ken

0
Ken
2/11/2006 1:21:52 AM
Hello Bob,

I work at Fujitsu with document image scanners (ADF scanners). The
typical USB scanners that we have will capture 25 pages/minute simplex
or 50 images/minute duplex with a single pass.. (2 CCD's simultaneously
capturing as each page feeds through. The CCD's are 24 bit color and
600 true optical resolution so there's quite a bit of data transfer
between scanner hardware and your pc.

But, I'll say that USB 2 won't impact your performance vs. USB 1.1. The
likely "bottleneck" is with your pc processing the data. (in some
cases, the scanner hardware -depending on if your scanner has a
hardware JPEG compression board or not; or how much cache memory is
onboard the scanner...

If you want to see improvements in performance times, increase your RAM
or CPU (processor). RAM alone will make the biggest difference in most
cases.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

~Danny

0
Danny

laptop usb 1.1 + scanner usb 2.0 + modem ADSL = ?????!!!!!*****
I have a laptop with a single USB 1.1 port. My new scanner (Epson 3170 usb 2.0) works fine with it and so does my ADSL modem but both can't work together. I have tried to make them "cooperate" with a Sitecom Usb pocket hub which needs an external power adapter and of course it doesn't work without it; do you think it would work if I had one? Or is there any other possibility (Pcmcia/usb card for example)? Thank you for your future wise advice. Good chance powered hub will work, but not guaranteed. Is your modem USB only? If ethernet also, as one more option, y...

USB 2.0 printers and USB 1.0/1.1 computers
I need a new printer, being fed up with the POS Epson 740 I have now. I was considering an HP LaserJet 1012, but noticed it has a USB 2.0 port only. I've got a Rev B iMac with USB 1.0 or maybe (but I doubt it) USB 1.1. I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know. Thanks! > I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 >peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since >you all are a well-infor...

LaTex equation numbering like 2.1, 2.2, also 2.0.1, 2.0,2, 2.1.1, etc
David Roach wrote: > Is there a simple command to have latex number > the equations by the section numbers automatically. > > David From the LaTeX Companion (what a wonderful book!) %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % number equations within sections % In preamble \makeatletter \@addtoreset{equation}{section} \makeatother \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesection.\arabic{equation}} %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Numbers within sections...I use this all the time in articles. Even works with ******************* ******************* Brilliant. And then I got numbering within subsections by repe...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.1, gettext_activerecord-2.0.1, gettext_rails-2.0.1
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.1 and the families (gettext-2.0.1, gettext_activerecord-2.0.1 and gettext_rails-2.0.1) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- * gettext-2.0.1 * Fixed bugs * doesn't work with ruby-1.8.5. [Reported by Dan Coutu] * GetText.locale= can't keep the locale. [Reported by Adam Ilan] * Break backward c...

[ANN] gettext-2.1.0, gettext_activerecord-2.1.0, gettext_rails-2.1.0
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.1.0 and the families (gettext-2.1.0, gettext_activerecord-2.1.0 and gettext_rails-2.1.0) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.1.0 * Implemented parsing of translator comments (GNU gettext feature) [by Vladimir Dobriakov] --- foo.rb def foo # TRANSLATORS: Comments for translators her...

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
Dear all, Could I use a win32 function to get the USB port is suport USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? I want to write a program to access the USB devices and show them is in the USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. Could everyone help me to find the function call? Or where I can find any relative information? Thanks. ---Ted Hi, Well, removable ms-dos devices such as USBs can be accessed through the \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive#. Call the API QueryDosDevice(), and get a list of all existing MS-DOS device names. You can also use the function DefineDosDevice() to define the device name as well. That said, whe...

old USB 1.0 scanner behind 2.0 hub not working (win98se)
I'm having a problem with getting a (probably USB 1.0) scanner working behind a USB 2.0 hub. Other USB 1.X devices that are not plugged into the hub work fine. The scanner has an exclamation point in Device Manager. I did find a workaround by uninstalling USB 2.0 drivers for the USB controller in Device Manager. With that, the scanner exclamation point goes away, and everything works fine (but apparently in USB 1.X mode). I get a device manager exclamation point on an "Unknown USB device" (where the USB 2.0 controller was), but two VIA 3038 controllers remain in d...

[ANN] Unicorn 2.0.0, 1.1.5, 1.0.2 released!
Unicorn is an HTTP server for Rack applications designed to only serve fast clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections and take advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels. Slow clients should only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully buffering both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients. * http://unicorn.bogomips.org/ * mongrel-unicorn@rubyforge.org * git://git.bogomips.org/unicorn.git tldr change summaries: 2.0.0 - cleanups for Rainbows!, but should be ready for general use barring portability issues 1.1.5 - bug f...

Wanted: Supplement to Beneath Apple ProDOS Version 1.0.1 & 1.0.2 and 1.1.1
-- Bryan Parkoff ...

Wanted: Supplement to Beneath Apple ProDOS Version 1.0.1 & 1.0.2 and 1.1.1
-- Bryan Parkoff Hi, y'all! "Bryan Parkoff" <bryan.nospam.parkoff@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<p3kTb.10640$2J1.5651@fe1.texas.rr.com>... > -- > Bryan Parkoff Gee, it's always nice to see someone with lofty goals... Willi My copy won't be leaving Lincoln, Nebraska. Bryan Parkoff wrote: -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:03:22 -0800, Willi Kusche wrote:...

XHTML 1.0 / 1.1 / 2.0
I read this in http://annevankesteren.nl/2004/12/xhtml-notes "A common misconception is that XHTML 1.1 is the latest version of the XHTML series. And although it was released a bit more than a year later then the first version of XHTML 1.0, the second edition is actually newer. Furthermore, XHTML 1.1 is not really the follow-up of XHTML 1.0" I thought that XHTML 1.1 was the follow-up to XHTML 1.0 and that XHTML 2.0 will someday be the follow-up to XHTML 1.1. Am I wrong? Buford Early wrote: > I thought that XHTML 1.1 was the follow-up to XHTML 1.0 and t...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wa...

SN#20104 How to Upgrade From LDoms 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 to LDoms 1.0.3
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 124 Issue 3 2008-06-16 Article 20104 from section "Software" Supplements Administration Guide Directions Upgrading to Logical Domains (LDoms) 1.0.3 from 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 is the subject of Jason Beloro's blog, which provides a step-by-step how-to, offering clarifications to the information available in the Administration Guide. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=20104 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in text or HTML. Only the sections t...

USB 1.0 or 1.1??
Howdy! Googled this as much as I could, but no luck. I have a reasonably old Toshiba Satellite 4030CDT notebook. I'd like to know what kind of USB port it has. The "revision" I think it's called. You know 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0. I'm sure it's not 2.0 but I'd like to know if it's 1.1 or 1.0. Does anybody know of a way to tell what revision a USB port is? Or if not, does anyone know what revision is on a Toshiba 4030CDT? Penno "penno" schrieb > I have a reasonably old Toshiba Satellite 4030CDT notebook. I'd like > to know what...

Film scanner for 2 1/4 inch by 2 1/4 inch #2
Hi, I have hundreds of APS, 35mm, and 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch negatives that I would like to scan. I posted an item on this newsgroup in October, 2003. So far, I have not yet bought a new scanner. My main requirement is that it handles 21/4 inch separate negatives. PC Pro magazine reviewed the Canon Canoscan 8800F recently. See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128849/canon-canoscan-8800f.html It gave a good review. I phoned Canon to see if it could handle separate 2 1/4 inch negatives. They said it could. Has anyone used this scanner? If so, that do you think about it. Whi...

Web resources about - Scanner to USB 1.1 or 2.0 - speed ? - comp.periphs.scanners

A Scanner Darkly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Scanner Darkly is a BSFA Award -winning 1977 science fiction novel by American writer Philip K. Dick . The semi- autobiographical story is ...

MyPermissions Debuts Real-Time App-Permissions Scanners
Application security provider MyPermissions Thursday launched real-time application-permissions scanners in the form of apps for iOS and Android ...

DFW Scanner (@DFWscanner) on Twitter

Quick Scan Pro - QR & Barcode Scanner for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Quick Scan Pro - QR & Barcode Scanner on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Body Orifice Security Scanner: The new way Goulburn jail stops inmates smuggle in mobile phones
... hidden inside a body orifice is the latest piece of security technology to be introduced at Goulburn jail. The Body Orifice Security Scanner ...

Automated Facebook scanner among the tools being developed to fight online radicalisation
A computer&nbsp;program that automatically detects signs of radicalisation on Facebook profiles is one of several tools developed by Australian ...

TSA Changes Rules For Who Must Go Through Body Scanner
TSA can mandate passengers go through scanner even if travelers ask to opt out. Learn more.

Today’s apps gone free: PDF Markup Ultimate, Pocket Scanner, Chemio and more
Markup PDFs, turn your iDevice into a mobile scanner, and get to know the elements with todays collection of apps and games. All app prices ...

TSA agents can now force passengers to go through body scanners, even if they opt out
Just in time for the busy holiday travel season, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has changed the rules of airport protocol to allow ...

The TSA Is Making It Harder To Opt Out Of Airport Body Scanners
“While passengers may generally decline AIT [Advanced Imagery Technology] screening in favor of physical screening, TSA may direct mandatory ...