software Problem with Visioneer scanner masquerading as hardware problem

I am having some problems with my Visioneer 8900 scanner. It was working
fine and automatically but not auto-cropping properly so I changed some
settings in CONFIGURE to let me crop whatever I was scanning myself.

Immediately I did this, it started reporting that the lock underneath the
scanner was locked (which obviously it isn't) and I must unlock it  Now
neither the software nor the hardware will work. When I press SCAN or
PREVIEW, it starts to move the light and then reports the lock.

Has anyone come across this problem before Please? Visioneer doesn't have
any technical support to speak of.

My other question also unfortunately concerns a Visioneer scanner, a flashy
looking 9450 with an auto feeder which I thought I might use some day.  Does
anyone know if this can be used at the same time as the 8900 and will the
software be common to both devices or will the drivers conflict with each
other? I know these Visioneers to be VERY finicky and as I say, Visioneer
never seems to know any answers to any technical problems with their
scanners.

0
news
11/10/2006 6:32:55 PM
comp.periphs.scanners 6113 articles. 0 followers. use_my_web_form (7) is leader. Post Follow

The 8900: when you turn the scanner on, does the carrier slide across
the flatbed like it normally does during initialization?

you may want to try running an offline test to verify the hardware is
okay... if you suspect something software related caused your problems,
simply disconnect the usb cable and turn the scanner back on (leaving
the cable disconnected) . if the scanner appears to come to a ready
state without any flashing warning/errors- then you might be correct.

the 9450: it's not a visioneer limitation in this case to use only 1
scanner at a time- it's a windows limitation.

Hope this helps~

Danny Ha
news.rcn.com wrote:
> I am having some problems with my Visioneer 8900 scanner. It was working
> fine and automatically but not auto-cropping properly so I changed some
> settings in CONFIGURE to let me crop whatever I was scanning myself.
>
> Immediately I did this, it started reporting that the lock underneath the
> scanner was locked (which obviously it isn't) and I must unlock it  Now
> neither the software nor the hardware will work. When I press SCAN or
> PREVIEW, it starts to move the light and then reports the lock.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem before Please? Visioneer doesn't have
> any technical support to speak of.
>
> My other question also unfortunately concerns a Visioneer scanner, a flashy
> looking 9450 with an auto feeder which I thought I might use some day.  Does
> anyone know if this can be used at the same time as the 8900 and will the
> software be common to both devices or will the drivers conflict with each
> other? I know these Visioneers to be VERY finicky and as I say, Visioneer
> never seems to know any answers to any technical problems with their
> scanners.

0
Danny
11/10/2006 7:25:04 PM
"Danny" <danny-ha@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> The 8900: when you turn the scanner on, does the carrier slide across
> the flatbed like it normally does during initialization?
No, and there is no initialisation.  But there again there never was, even
when it was working properly.

There again, doing this caused it to work properly and start to auto-crop
(wrongly) again. FOllowed by an error message which doesnt seem to relate to
the hardware error message, which is that it tells me that there is a known
compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:

You might not be able to save a form created with FormTyper in PaperPort. To
work around this issue:
1. Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System
3. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
4. Double-click the TEMP variable, and then change the variable name to a
short name; for example, C:\Temp.

but as there is no Settings-Control Panel in Windows XP as well as there
being no Performance and Maintenance in Control Panel, this solution doesnt
exactly inspire confidence.  A confidence in Visioneer which is almost
immediately dispelled by there being no contact possible for Visioneer when
it tells you to contact them for a solution to this problem which I presume
is caused by something in some security patch to SP2 as I never got this
problem report before!

Or is the problem something to do with Visioneer pretending that this almost
new scanner is an end of life model adn they wont support it any more?
> you may want to try running an offline test to verify the hardware is
> okay... if you suspect something software related caused your problems,
> simply disconnect the usb cable and turn the scanner back on (leaving
> the cable disconnected) . if the scanner appears to come to a ready
> state without any flashing warning/errors- then you might be correct.
It just turns off and on and off and on again in the normal way

> the 9450: it's not a visioneer limitation in this case to use only 1
> scanner at a time- it's a windows limitation.
>
> Hope this helps~
>
> Danny Ha
> news.rcn.com wrote:
>> I am having some problems with my Visioneer 8900 scanner. It was working
>> fine and automatically but not auto-cropping properly so I changed some
>> settings in CONFIGURE to let me crop whatever I was scanning myself.
>>
>> Immediately I did this, it started reporting that the lock underneath the
>> scanner was locked (which obviously it isn't) and I must unlock it  Now
>> neither the software nor the hardware will work. When I press SCAN or
>> PREVIEW, it starts to move the light and then reports the lock.
>>
>> Has anyone come across this problem before Please? Visioneer doesn't have
>> any technical support to speak of.
>>
>> My other question also unfortunately concerns a Visioneer scanner, a
>> flashy
>> looking 9450 with an auto feeder which I thought I might use some day.
>> Does
>> anyone know if this can be used at the same time as the 8900 and will the
>> software be common to both devices or will the drivers conflict with each
>> other? I know these Visioneers to be VERY finicky and as I say, Visioneer
>> never seems to know any answers to any technical problems with their
>> scanners.

0
news
11/10/2006 9:19:58 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?

OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?

The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
doubt on a practically unused scanner

" it tells me that there is a known
> compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:

0
news
11/10/2006 9:45:20 PM
"news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
>
> OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
>
> The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> doubt on a practically unused scanner
>
> " it tells me that there is a known
> > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:

Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.

I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
think website said it would. Check it out.

Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
to try it.
Good Luck

Hi TShadow,

your scanner is reporting a hardware alarm to the software- in a
nutshell.

XP should work just as well as 2000 Pro, 98SE, ME, and 95a. (NT works
as well with scsi scanners but not usb).

I've never heard of any scanning applications causing a false-positive
alarm like you're describing... but, if you suspect Paper Port to be
the problem contrary to anyone's opinions, take it out of the equation.

Paper Port is just another twain application. It's not critical to
using the scanner. Other examples of twain compliant applications which
you could test with to see if your theory is valid are MS Word, Adobe
Acorobat (std or pro only- reader doesn't create pdf' files), word
perfect, MS excel, MS power point to name a few. If they work using the
same twain drivers Paper Port is currently pointing to, then you may be
onto something. BUT, if they return the same error- or similar, then
you should look elsewhere- such as the hardware not initializing.

Your flatbed has an interlock switch on the flatbed which is a black
plasic U shaped sensor. The flatbed carrier has a piece which should
line up in the middle of this U and triger the mechanical flag sensor
letting the control PCA know that the flatbed is in the home position.
(home position=ADF scanning)

try calling visioneer support for assistance. There's no coverup since
doing so would only loose their customer base. Call me if you have any
questiions... 408-996-1829

Danny Ha
T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:46 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:50 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:52 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:53 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:54 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:55 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:56 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:57 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:09:58 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:10:01 PM

T Shadow wrote:
> "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I forgot to mention, this version of PaperPort which came with the
> > scanner only a few years ago and while I was using XP is 6.1.  Does anyone
> > know what MS did to XP which let it work for a few years but now makes it
> > suddenly give this error message and if there is indeed a work-around?
> >
> > OR if this is what might be making the scanner start pretending that it
> > needs unlocking when I make a change to the software?
> >
> > The last time I tried to use the scanner, while I was performing all this,
> > the final error message was a pretence of "device failure" which I somehow
> > doubt on a practically unused scanner
> >
> > " it tells me that there is a known
> > > compatibility issue with this version of PaperPort: It says:
> >

> Friend just gave me an 8100. It had Paper Port 6.? and gave the same  work
> around message. Was able to use it as Administrator but not Power User.
> Didn't get the locked message though. Only used it that way about a week.
> Long story short, it isn't made for W2k or XP.
>
> I got a "free" Paper Port 7 disc from Visioneer last week. Multi Driver
> Version. $10 S&H! Now it works ok in W2K. Think It should work with XP and
> think website said it would. Check it out.
>
> Considering how much newer it is than my Umax 1200S and Presto Pagemanger,
> I'm not real impressed. Not having to have the scanner turned on at boot
> time and not taking up the space of a legal scanner is the reasons I wanted
> to try it.
> Good Luck

0
Danny
11/12/2006 1:10:01 PM
Danny wrote:

> Hi TShadow,
>
> your scanner is reporting a hardware alarm to the software- in a
> nutshell.

You seem to have a little posting problem Dany :O)

--
Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
Stop and Look
> Hi TShadow,
>
> your scanner is reporting a hardware alarm to the software- in a
> nutshell.

The OP was the one with the hardware error.

wow, sorry everyone for the 20 something replies.

talk about a broken record. I posted once via google groups several
hours earlier... well,
 I definitely have something strange going on with my pc... Sorry
again.

I tried to remove via google as well- hopefully they remove off usenet
eventually

Danny wrote:
> The 8900: when you turn the scanner on, does the carrier slide across
> the flatbed like it normally does during initialization?
>
> you may want to try running an offline test to verify the hardware is
> okay... if you suspect something software related caused your problems,
> simply disconnect the usb cable and turn the scanner back on (leaving
> the cable disconnected) . if the scanner appears to come to a ready
> state without any flashing warning/errors- then you might be correct.
>
> the 9450: it's not a visioneer limitation in this case to use only 1
> scanner at a time- it's a windows limitation.
>
> Hope this helps~
>
> Danny Ha
> news.rcn.com wrote:
> > I am having some problems with my Visioneer 8900 scanner. It was working
> > fine and automatically but not auto-cropping properly so I changed some
> > settings in CONFIGURE to let me crop whatever I was scanning myself.
> >
> > Immediately I did this, it started reporting that the lock underneath the
> > scanner was locked (which obviously it isn't) and I must unlock it  Now
> > neither the software nor the hardware will work. When I press SCAN or
> > PREVIEW, it starts to move the light and then reports the lock.
> >
> > Has anyone come across this problem before Please? Visioneer doesn't have
> > any technical support to speak of.
> >
> > My other question also unfortunately concerns a Visioneer scanner, a flashy
> > looking 9450 with an auto feeder which I thought I might use some day.  Does
> > anyone know if this can be used at the same time as the 8900 and will the
> > software be common to both devices or will the drivers conflict with each
> > other? I know these Visioneers to be VERY finicky and as I say, Visioneer
> > never seems to know any answers to any technical problems with their
> > scanners.

0
Danny
11/13/2006 9:22:39 AM

> Danny wrote:
So you dont think it important that the scanner works properly when plugged
in afresh and the configurations settings zeroed, -  but starts reporting
locking issues as soon as I try to change any Paperport (the bundled
software with the scanner) setting, for example to prevent it from
auto-cropping it wrongly?

>> The 8900: when you turn the scanner on, does the carrier slide across
>> the flatbed like it normally does during initialization?
>>
>> you may want to try running an offline test to verify the hardware is
>> okay... if you suspect something software related caused your problems,
>> simply disconnect the usb cable and turn the scanner back on (leaving
>> the cable disconnected) . if the scanner appears to come to a ready
>> state without any flashing warning/errors- then you might be correct.
>>
>> the 9450: it's not a visioneer limitation in this case to use only 1
>> scanner at a time- it's a windows limitation.
>>
>> Hope this helps~
>>
>> Danny Ha
>> news.rcn.com wrote:
>> > I am having some problems with my Visioneer 8900 scanner. It was
>> > working
>> > fine and automatically but not auto-cropping properly so I changed some
>> > settings in CONFIGURE to let me crop whatever I was scanning myself.
>> >
>> > Immediately I did this, it started reporting that the lock underneath
>> > the
>> > scanner was locked (which obviously it isn't) and I must unlock it  Now
>> > neither the software nor the hardware will work. When I press SCAN or
>> > PREVIEW, it starts to move the light and then reports the lock.
>> >
>> > Has anyone come across this problem before Please? Visioneer doesn't
>> > have
>> > any technical support to speak of.
>> >
>> > My other question also unfortunately concerns a Visioneer scanner, a
>> > flashy
>> > looking 9450 with an auto feeder which I thought I might use some day.
>> > Does
>> > anyone know if this can be used at the same time as the 8900 and will
>> > the
>> > software be common to both devices or will the drivers conflict with
>> > each
>> > other? I know these Visioneers to be VERY finicky and as I say,
>> > Visioneer
>> > never seems to know any answers to any technical problems with their
>> > scanners.

0
news
11/13/2006 7:25:50 PM
 Hi TShadow,

If I understand the current state of the scanner:

I. you can scan using the TWAIN drivers and another twain compliant
application (other than Paper Port).

II. But, if you use Paper Port- which is using that same TWAIN driver,
you receive a Windows WIA error message immediately about your hardware
malfunctioning?

hmmm... that would be interesting. I'd be suprised but that's not
uncommon either... :) It's strange for an application which isn't
communicating directly with your scanner to generate a false hardware
error. I would consult the manufacturer since if that's what your
experiencing, then there'd be others who also have seen similar
problems~ they may have an FAQ or some type of documentation to assist
with resolving the anomoly.

Hope this helps~ feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss.

Danny Ha
408-996-1829

news.rcn.com wrote:
> > Danny wrote:
> So you dont think it important that the scanner works properly when plugged
> in afresh and the configurations settings zeroed, -  but starts reporting
> locking issues as soon as I try to change any Paperport (the bundled
> software with the scanner) setting, for example to prevent it from
> auto-cropping it wrongly?
>
> >> The 8900: when you turn the scanner on, does the carrier slide across
> >> the flatbed like it normally does during initialization?
> >>
> >> you may want to try running an offline test to verify the hardware is
> >> okay... if you suspect something software related caused your problems,
> >> simply disconnect the usb cable and turn the scanner back on (leaving
> >> the cable disconnected) . if the scanner appears to come to a ready
> >> state without any flashing warning/errors- then you might be correct.
> >>
> >> the 9450: it's not a visioneer limitation in this case to use only 1
> >> scanner at a time- it's a windows limitation.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps~
> >>
> >> Danny Ha

0
Danny
11/14/2006 9:19:13 AM
> Hi TShadow,
>
> If I understand the current state of the scanner:
>
> I. you can scan using the TWAIN drivers and another twain compliant
> application (other than Paper Port)
NO Paperport works so long as I dont make any configuration changes to its
settings, in which case it autocrops wrongly!.

> II. But, if you use Paper Port- which is using that same TWAIN driver,
> you receive a Windows WIA error message immediately about your hardware
> malfunctioning?
>
> hmmm... that would be interesting. I'd be suprised but that's not
> uncommon either... :) It's strange for an application which isn't
> communicating directly with your scanner to generate a false hardware
> error. I would consult the manufacturer since if that's what your
> experiencing, then there'd be others who also have seen similar
> problems~ they may have an FAQ or some type of documentation to assist
> with resolving the anomoly.
No, they dont have any technical support or any proper FAQ procedure and
once sent me a new scanner rather than support the one I had!

> Hope this helps~ feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss.
>
> Danny Ha
> 408-996-1829
>

> news.rcn.com wrote:
>> > Danny wrote:
>> So you dont think it important that the scanner works properly when
>> plugged
>> in afresh and the configurations settings zeroed, -  but starts reporting
>> locking issues as soon as I try to change any Paperport (the bundled
>> software with the scanner) setting, for example to prevent it from
>> auto-cropping it wrongly?

0
news
11/14/2006 3:16:31 PM
news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com>
Is the one with the problem. Like I told him PP6 isn't XP compatible. It may
be a hardware problem but I wouldn't believe a program/drivers that aren't
made for the O/S.The error I got was it wasn't made for the O/S. if in Power
User group. but didn't get it in an administrator account. It didn't work
properly though. It didn't do brightness/contrast correctly in B&W or
Grayscale for instance. I'm using W2K with ti. New version cured it.

"Danny" <danny-ha@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi TShadow,
>
> If I understand the current state of the scanner:
>
> I. you can scan using the TWAIN drivers and another twain compliant
> application (other than Paper Port).
>
> II. But, if you use Paper Port- which is using that same TWAIN driver,
> you receive a Windows WIA error message immediately about your hardware
> malfunctioning?
>
> hmmm... that would be interesting. I'd be suprised but that's not
> uncommon either... :) It's strange for an application which isn't
> communicating directly with your scanner to generate a false hardware
> error. I would consult the manufacturer since if that's what your
> experiencing, then there'd be others who also have seen similar
> problems~ they may have an FAQ or some type of documentation to assist
> with resolving the anomoly.
>
> Hope this helps~ feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss.
>
> Danny Ha
> 408-996-1829
>

> news.rcn.com wrote:
> > > Danny wrote:
> > So you dont think it important that the scanner works properly when
plugged
> > in afresh and the configurations settings zeroed, -  but starts
reporting
> > locking issues as soon as I try to change any Paperport (the bundled
> > software with the scanner) setting, for example to prevent it from
> > auto-cropping it wrongly?

Now

OK Thanks: Have to unplug my computer for a week (going away) but will try
to use scanner in Photoshop or similar and delete PP6 from computer when I
get back.

"T Shadow" <NoOne@nonono.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com>
> Is the one with the problem. Like I told him PP6 isn't XP compatible. It
> may
> be a hardware problem but I wouldn't believe a program/drivers that aren't
> made for the O/S.The error I got was it wasn't made for the O/S. if in
> Power
> User group. but didn't get it in an administrator account. It didn't work
> properly though. It didn't do brightness/contrast correctly in B&W or
> Grayscale for instance. I'm using W2K with ti. New version cured it.
>

> "Danny" <danny-ha@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Hi TShadow,
>>
>> If I understand the current state of the scanner:
>>
>> I. you can scan using the TWAIN drivers and another twain compliant
>> application (other than Paper Port).
>>
>> II. But, if you use Paper Port- which is using that same TWAIN driver,
>> you receive a Windows WIA error message immediately about your hardware
>> malfunctioning?
>>
>> hmmm... that would be interesting. I'd be suprised but that's not
>> uncommon either... :) It's strange for an application which isn't
>> communicating directly with your scanner to generate a false hardware
>> error. I would consult the manufacturer since if that's what your
>> experiencing, then there'd be others who also have seen similar
>> problems~ they may have an FAQ or some type of documentation to assist
>> with resolving the anomoly.
>>
>> Hope this helps~ feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss.
>>
>> Danny Ha
>> 408-996-1829

>> > So you dont think it important that the scanner works properly when
> plugged
>> > in afresh and the configurations settings zeroed, -  but starts
> reporting
>> > locking issues as soon as I try to change any Paperport (the bundled
>> > software with the scanner) setting, for example to prevent it from
>> > auto-cropping it wrongly?

> problems,

> some
> myself.

> underneath
> Now
> or

> doesn't

> day.
> will
> with
> their

0
news
11/14/2006 5:41:57 PM
You'll still need compliant drivers. Forgot whether their on the website or
not.
New disc says: Multi-Driver Version.