ATAPI CD-ROM drive in a SCSI system

I have an old SCSI based XP system with a Tekram DC-390U2W controller.
The 3 HDs and a CD/DVD player runs off that controller. The only drive
that is not a SCSI drive is a Plextor ATAPI CD-ROM drive on an IDE
cable, in master configuration. These drives all run fine but for the
life of me I can't boot from the ATAPI drive even though I just about
tried all the boot sequences in the mobo BIOS that I could think of. I
can boot from the SCSI CD-ROM drive but that drive is getting to be
unreliable.

I think somehow the SCSI adapter's built-in BIOS interferes with the
ATAPI drive's boot process but I can't figure out how to fix it. Any
leads would be appreciated.

0
Cameo
1/11/2010 8:17:53 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2471 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

Cameo wrote:

> I think somehow the SCSI adapter's built-in BIOS interferes with the
> ATAPI drive's boot process but I can't figure out how to fix it. Any
> leads would be appreciated.

If you select "CDROM before SCSI" in the mainboard BIOS it should work.
If not, take out the SCSI adapter and try again only with the ATAPI
drive. If it still don't work, maybe your mainboard BIOS is too old and
cannot boot from ATAPI.

Micha
0
Michael
1/11/2010 9:50:09 AM
In article <hiemrd$amb$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
Cameo <cameo@cameo.invalid> wrote:
>I have an old SCSI based XP system with a Tekram DC-390U2W controller.

>... These drives all run fine but for the
>life of me I can't boot from the ATAPI drive even though I just about
>tried all the boot sequences in the mobo BIOS that I could think of ...
>I think somehow the SCSI adapter's built-in BIOS interferes with the
>ATAPI drive's boot process but I can't figure out how to fix it.

I know it's a lot of typing but could you give a little view
of what menu/choices the BIOS gives you?
Some have settings in 2 places for handling SCSI/external controllers
and for setting the boot order/priorities.

Disabling the SCSI controller's BIOS is a last resort
(since it may be hard to re-enable)
but perhaps it has a choice to UN-check for boot support.
0
jeffj
1/11/2010 5:03:59 PM
"Jeff Jonas" <jeffj@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <hiemrd$amb$1@news.eternal-september.org>,

> I know it's a lot of typing but could you give a little view
> of what menu/choices the BIOS gives you?
> Some have settings in 2 places for handling SCSI/external controllers
> and for setting the boot order/priorities.

Sure. I made some snapshots of the MoBo BIOS screens so you have a
better idea what I am dealing with. The pics are not very sharp due to
some handshaking, but still readable:

This one is the top level BIOS screen, with the red highlights screen
coming up next:

<https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AR41cGCzYT76ZGZnaDk2NjJfMTBkYmczZnJ3cQ&hl=en>

The current boot sequence highlighted with read is shown on the
following screen:

<https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AR41cGCzYT76ZGZnaDk2NjJfOGNqbWY0cmZm&hl=en>

Note, I do not show the CDROM boot option on that screen because I tried
it before and it did not work.

The following pic shows the available boot sequences. What I find
strange is that none of the boot sequences start with "A,CDROM.*"  or
"CDROM,A,*" which would be more logical than the other two sequences
containing CDROM.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AR41cGCzYT76ZGZnaDk2NjJfNGNzdmM3ZmZk&hl=en

By the way, I think the SCSI boot option might be applying in cases
where the SCSI controller does not have a built-in BIOS. However, the
CDROM option definitely applies to drives on the EIDE bus.

> Disabling the SCSI controller's BIOS is a last resort
> (since it may be hard to re-enable)
> but perhaps it has a choice to UN-check for boot support.

I'm not even sure how to disable it in the BIOS. It doesn't seem to be
an option that I can see. So I might have to remove the SCSI adapter
itself which I hesitate as almost every time I open the case I enounter
some loose contact problems afterwards. This time the PC has been
working solidly for over a year without having to touch anything inside
the case. It would be only after exhausting all other (soft) options.

0
Cameo
1/12/2010 1:44:10 AM
Cameo wrote:
> "Jeff Jonas" <jeffj@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <hiemrd$amb$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
>
>> I know it's a lot of typing but could you give a little view
>> of what menu/choices the BIOS gives you?
>> Some have settings in 2 places for handling SCSI/external controllers
>> and for setting the boot order/priorities.
>
> Sure. I made some snapshots of the MoBo BIOS screens so you have a
> better idea what I am dealing with. The pics are not very sharp due to
> some handshaking, but still readable:
>
> This one is the top level BIOS screen, with the red highlights screen
> coming up next:
>
> <https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AR41cGCzYT76ZGZnaDk2NjJfMTBkYmczZnJ3cQ&hl=en>
>

> The current boot sequence highlighted with read is shown on the
> following screen:
>
> <https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AR41cGCzYT76ZGZnaDk2NjJfOGNqbWY0cmZm&hl=en>
>

> Note, I do not show the CDROM boot option on that screen because I tried
> it before and it did not work.
>
> The following pic shows the available boot sequences. What I find
> strange is that none of the boot sequences start with "A,CDROM.*"  or
> "CDROM,A,*" which would be more logical than the other two sequences
> containing CDROM.
>
> https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AR41cGCzYT76ZGZnaDk2NjJfNGNzdmM3ZmZk&hl=en
>

> By the way, I think the SCSI boot option might be applying in cases
> where the SCSI controller does not have a built-in BIOS. However, the
> CDROM option definitely applies to drives on the EIDE bus.
>
>> Disabling the SCSI controller's BIOS is a last resort
>> (since it may be hard to re-enable)
>> but perhaps it has a choice to UN-check for boot support.
>
> I'm not even sure how to disable it in the BIOS. It doesn't seem to be
> an option that I can see. So I might have to remove the SCSI adapter
> itself which I hesitate as almost every time I open the case I enounter
> some loose contact problems afterwards. This time the PC has been
> working solidly for over a year without having to touch anything inside
> the case. It would be only after exhausting all other (soft) options.

If you have a CD-ROM on the SCSI controller, I would think THAT would be
the CD-ROM that the BIOS is looking for when it tries to boot with that
option.  It appears to me that the designers of the BIOS assumed there
would only be one CD-ROM.  Have you tried removing the SCSI CD-ROM so
there is only the ATAPI CD-ROM?

Jack
1/13/2010 3:21:22 AM
Is it possible that the ATAPI CD is sitting on the secondary controller
and might it work as primary master?

My personal choice would be to find a replacement for the failing SCSI
but that has more to do with my experience with them.

0
edfair
1/13/2010 3:38:48 AM
On 01/11/10 08:44 pm, Cameo wrote:

> The following pic shows the available boot sequences. What I find
> strange is that none of the boot sequences start with "A,CDROM.*" or
> "CDROM,A,*" which would be more logical than the other two sequences
> containing CDROM.
>
> https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AR41cGCzYT76ZGZnaDk2NjJfNGNzdmM3ZmZk&hl=en

I'm surprised that there is no option that includes both CDROM and SCSI,
nor even an A, CDROM ... option.
Is your BIOS the latest one for that motherboard? A later BIOS might
have additional options.

> By the way, I think the SCSI boot option might be applying in cases
> where the SCSI controller does not have a built-in BIOS. However, the
> CDROM option definitely applies to drives on the EIDE bus.

>> Disabling the SCSI controller's BIOS is a last resort
>> (since it may be hard to re-enable)
>> but perhaps it has a choice to UN-check for boot support.
>
> I'm not even sure how to disable it in the BIOS. It doesn't seem to be
> an option that I can see. So I might have to remove the SCSI adapter
> itself which I hesitate as almost every time I open the case I enounter
> some loose contact problems afterwards. This time the PC has been
> working solidly for over a year without having to touch anything inside
> the case. It would be only after exhausting all other (soft) options.

Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-N, I think, on some) right after the motherboard's BIOS
report is often the way to get into the SCSI BIOS of a
BusLogic/LSILogic/Tekram adapter. There could be an option to make it
unable to boot from the SCSI CD-ROM drive; I am sure that there is on my
DC-390U3W. And again, how recent is the SCSI BIOS?

Perce
0
Percival
1/13/2010 5:36:31 PM
"Percival P. Cassidy" <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> wrote in message
> Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-N, I think, on some) right after the motherboard's
> BIOS report is often the way to get into the SCSI BIOS of a
> BusLogic/LSILogic/Tekram adapter. There could be an option to make it
> unable to boot from the SCSI CD-ROM drive; I am sure that there is on
> my DC-390U3W. And again, how recent is the SCSI BIOS?

I can get into the SCSI BIOS without any problem after the mobo BIOS
with an F2 or F6 key press. What I can try is to disable the scanning of
the SCSI CD-ROM drive and see if that helps. There is no option to
actually disabling the SCSI BIOS, except maybe disabling the scanning of
the controller itself, but then how would I get it back? I'll also try
to find a more recent SCSI BIOS from Tekram and report back later.

By the way, according to the mobo manual those D, E and F hard drives in
the boot sequences apply for drives that might be on the primary and
secondary EIDE buses as master and slave drives.

0
Cameo
1/13/2010 7:31:54 PM
"edfair" <edfair.44q7v3@no.email.invalid> wrote:
> Is it possible that the ATAPI CD is sitting on the secondary
> controller
> and might it work as primary master?

   I doubt it because the ATAPI drive works fine once the PC is booted.

> My personal choice would be to find a replacement for the failing SCSI
> but that has more to do with my experience with them.

   I don't think it's failing because this is how it always worked since
I put that ATAPI drive in it. I just didn't care that I couldn't boot
with it as long as I could with the SCSI CD/DVD drive. But lately that
drive started working unreliably, so I decided to take a serious look at
why the ATAPI drive cannot boot. Apparently removing the SCSI CD/DVD
drive from the SCSI bus scan does not help recognizing the ATAPI drive
during bootup.

    By the way, I checked my motherboard's BIOS version and it is the
very last one the manufacturer issued for it. I also checked the SCSI
adapter's BIOS which is NOT the latest. Unfortunately since I bought
that adapter, Tekram was bought up by another company which does not
have support web site for BIOS and drivers. There are a bunch of other,
independent web sites that claim to carry the more recent BIOS versions,
but when I checked a few ones, I noticed that their BIOS *.bin file was
only 32K size even though the one that is loaded right now in the
adapter is 64K. So I don't trust those independent sites. The last thing
I want is to irreversibly screw up that adapter.

0
Cameo
1/14/2010 6:22:17 AM
On 01/14/10 01:22 am, Cameo wrote:

>> Is it possible that the ATAPI CD is sitting on the secondary controller
>> and might it work as primary master?
>
> I doubt it because the ATAPI drive works fine once the PC is booted.
>
>> My personal choice would be to find a replacement for the failing SCSI
>> but that has more to do with my experience with them.
>
> I don't think it's failing because this is how it always worked since I
> put that ATAPI drive in it. I just didn't care that I couldn't boot with
> it as long as I could with the SCSI CD/DVD drive. But lately that drive
> started working unreliably, so I decided to take a serious look at why
> the ATAPI drive cannot boot. Apparently removing the SCSI CD/DVD drive
> from the SCSI bus scan does not help recognizing the ATAPI drive during
> bootup.
>
> By the way, I checked my motherboard's BIOS version and it is the very
> last one the manufacturer issued for it. I also checked the SCSI
> adapter's BIOS which is NOT the latest. Unfortunately since I bought
> that adapter, Tekram was bought up by another company which does not
> have support web site for BIOS and drivers. There are a bunch of other,
> independent web sites that claim to carry the more recent BIOS versions,
> but when I checked a few ones, I noticed that their BIOS *.bin file was
> only 32K size even though the one that is loaded right now in the
> adapter is 64K. So I don't trust those independent sites. The last thing
> I want is to irreversibly screw up that adapter.

AFAIK, Tekram adapters with a number part ending in zero (disregarding
suffixes such as U2x, U3x, U4x) used chips by BusLogic, which later
became LSILogic  -- one of the big names in SCSI devices. (The ones
ending in 5 are another story, and I have seen recommendations to avoid
them.)

I flashed my U3W's BIOS with a "generic" LSILogic one with no ill effects.

I know nothing about new ownership of Tekram, but it does seem strange
that the "Support" menu item is unclickable.

Perce

0
Percival
1/14/2010 2:31:26 PM
> AFAIK, Tekram adapters with a number part ending in zero (disregarding
> suffixes such as U2x, U3x, U4x) used chips by BusLogic, which later
> became LSILogic  -- one of the big names in SCSI devices. (The ones
> ending in 5 are another story, and I have seen recommendations to
> avoid them.)

Indeed, it uses the 53C895 chip, but I'm not sure what you were implying
with the BusLogic brand. Sounds like a bad news though you're not saying
why.

> I flashed my U3W's BIOS with a "generic" LSILogic one with no ill
> effects.

Did you gain anything with the new flash?

> I know nothing about new ownership of Tekram, but it does seem strange
> that the "Support" menu item is unclickable.

Actually, I found the following Tekram site in Taiwan that seems to have
some links to BIOS downloads, but in mainland China. Those links don't
work but it's probably for the better because I'm not sure I would trust
Chinese sites with downloading anything.

http://www.tekram.com.tw/SoftwareUpdate.ASP?Product=DC-390U2_Series

By the way, I need to correct something I wrote earlier about the
32K/64K BIOS size issue. The 64 K size seems to exist only with the BIOS
that came on the original Tekram install diskette (Ver. 3.02.) Right now
I am running Ver. 3.20 and that apparently came in 32K size as I was
able to find it in an obscure directory. (It's been almost 10 years
since that BIOS update.) The only thing that comes to mind about this
BIOS size discrepancy is that though the full BIOS may be 64K in the
form of two 32K pages, but a BIOS update can update only half of it.
Thus the 32K size in the update version. That would also explain why a
new flash utility comes with each BIOS update. Does this sound
reasonable?

I do have a newer, version 3.23, that I must have saved in the same
obscure directory years ago from the Tekram site but I never got around
flashing it. That is also 32K size. Judging from what I was able to see
on Internet searches, the latest version out there is ver. 3.26 which I
found but I'm not sure if I could trust it because it has the an odd
size of 33K.

0
Cameo
1/14/2010 7:51:59 PM
On 01/14/10 02:51 pm, Cameo wrote:

>> AFAIK, Tekram adapters with a number part ending in zero (disregarding
>> suffixes such as U2x, U3x, U4x) used chips by BusLogic, which later
>> became LSILogic -- one of the big names in SCSI devices. (The ones
>> ending in 5 are another story, and I have seen recommendations to
>> avoid them.)

> Indeed, it uses the 53C895 chip, but I'm not sure what you were implying
> with the BusLogic brand. Sounds like a bad news though you're not saying
> why.

I meant Tekram model numbers ending in 5, which I have been told use
chips other than BusLogic/LSILogic.

>> I flashed my U3W's BIOS with a "generic" LSILogic one with no ill
>> effects.
>
> Did you gain anything with the new flash?

Not that I recall, but I was trying to solve a problem that I mistakenly
thought was a problem with the SCSI adapter but turned out to have an
entirely different cause.

>> I know nothing about new ownership of Tekram, but it does seem strange
>> that the "Support" menu item is unclickable.
>
> Actually, I found the following Tekram site in Taiwan that seems to have
> some links to BIOS downloads, but in mainland China. Those links don't
> work but it's probably for the better because I'm not sure I would trust
> Chinese sites with downloading anything.
>
> http://www.tekram.com.tw/SoftwareUpdate.ASP?Product=DC-390U2_Series

Many (most?) of the Taiwanese companies manufacture in China or
elsewhere these days as wages in Taiwan become sufficient for people to
live on. No language barrier for Mainland China and most Taiwanese.

If it's an official Tekram Web site, I'd say it should be safe.

> By the way, I need to correct something I wrote earlier about the
> 32K/64K BIOS size issue. The 64 K size seems to exist only with the BIOS
> that came on the original Tekram install diskette (Ver. 3.02.) Right now
> I am running Ver. 3.20 and that apparently came in 32K size as I was
> able to find it in an obscure directory. (It's been almost 10 years
> since that BIOS update.) The only thing that comes to mind about this
> BIOS size discrepancy is that though the full BIOS may be 64K in the
> form of two 32K pages, but a BIOS update can update only half of it.
> Thus the 32K size in the update version. That would also explain why a
> new flash utility comes with each BIOS update. Does this sound reasonable?
>
> I do have a newer, version 3.23, that I must have saved in the same
> obscure directory years ago from the Tekram site but I never got around
> flashing it. That is also 32K size. Judging from what I was able to see
> on Internet searches, the latest version out there is ver. 3.26 which I
> found but I'm not sure if I could trust it because it has the an odd
> size of 33K.

Maybe that is a function of the file system used by the machine where
it's stored.

Are you sure there's no option in the SCSI BIOS to prevent the machien
from trying to boot from the SCSI CD-ROM? And what happens if there's no
CD in that drive? Doesn't it just go on to the next drive on the list?

Perce
0
Percival
1/14/2010 8:27:20 PM
Kinda sounds like you need to either find a more reliable SCSI unit or a
replacement controller that allows you to disable the boot capabilities
from the SCSI controller.

My experience has been primarily with Adaptec 2940s and later SCO stuff
recently and booting off the SCSI bus. The Tekram stuff I worked with
was probably 14 or 15 years ago, and I don't recall ever using a CD with
them.

Sorry I've been no help.

0
edfair
1/15/2010 4:00:17 AM
>> Indeed, it uses the 53C895 chip, but I'm not sure what you were
>> implying
>> with the BusLogic brand. Sounds like a bad news though you're not
>> saying
>> why.
>
> I meant Tekram model numbers ending in 5, which I have been told use
> chips other than BusLogic/LSILogic.

I know that's what you meant. I was just trying to confirm that my
adapter also uses an LSI chip Otherwise my system recognizes the adapter
not as Tekram, but as LSI Logic 8951u/8952u card.

> Many (most?) of the Taiwanese companies manufacture in China or
> elsewhere these days as wages in Taiwan become sufficient for people
> to live on. No language barrier for Mainland China and most Taiwanese.
>
> If it's an official Tekram Web site, I'd say it should be safe.

OK, but the link to the mainland Chinese download site does not work.
I'm not sure if it's temporary or permanent.

> Maybe that is a function of the file system used by the machine where
> it's stored.
>
> Are you sure there's no option in the SCSI BIOS to prevent the machien
> from trying to boot from the SCSI CD-ROM? And what happens if there's
> no CD in that drive? Doesn't it just go on to the next drive on the
> list?

I checked and rechecked, but could not see it.
By the way, I did get an LSI BIOS from their web site and it flashed all
right. It also booted fine except with some error msg about not being
able to save in the nonvolatile memory and reverting to the default. I
could not boot from the ATAPI drive with this LSI BIOS either. So I
reverted back to the Tekram 3.23 BIOS that at list gives me more
configurability.

0
Cameo
1/15/2010 4:48:48 AM
Cameo wrote:
> I checked and rechecked, but could not see it.
> By the way, I did get an LSI BIOS from their web site and it flashed all
> right. It also booted fine except with some error msg about not being
> able to save in the nonvolatile memory and reverting to the default. I
> could not boot from the ATAPI drive with this LSI BIOS either. So I
> reverted back to the Tekram 3.23 BIOS that at list gives me more
> configurability.

Frankly, I think you are barking up the wrong tree when you try to
upgrade the Tekram SCSI controller firmware.  The system IS trying to
boot off the SCSI CD now, right?  So how could upgrading that firmware
help the ATAPI CD-ROM boot? It has to be a motherboard issue, if you ask
me.  And if removing the SCSI CD-ROM didn't allow the ATAPI unit to boot
(and you should try this just to see, not a permanent thing), then that
motherboard isn't going to boot off it no matter what.

Jack
1/15/2010 10:59:30 AM
"Jack Bauer" <jb@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Frankly, I think you are barking up the wrong tree when you try to
> upgrade the Tekram SCSI controller firmware.  The system IS trying to
> boot off the SCSI CD now, right?  So how could upgrading that firmware
> help the ATAPI CD-ROM boot? It has to be a motherboard issue, if you
> ask me.  And if removing the SCSI CD-ROM didn't allow the ATAPI unit
> to boot (and you should try this just to see, not a permanent thing),
> then that motherboard isn't going to boot off it no matter what.

Well, you might be right, especially after what I've read in one of the
LSI README file before I tried that BIOS. The document was saying this:

"The SDMS SCSI BIOS provides support for the BIOS Boot Specification
(BBS),
which allows you to choose which device to boot from by selecting the
priority.

To use this feature, the system BIOS must also be compatible with the
BBS. If
your system supports the BBS, then you will use the system BIOS setup
menu to
select the boot and drive order. In the system BIOS setup, the Boot
Connection
Devices menu appears with a list of available boot options."

So, as the LSI BIOS didn't work for me either, it indeed might be the
motherboard's BIOS not conforming to this BBS standard that would allow
both BIOSes "talking" to each other. I am just about at end of the rope
on this issue.

0
Cameo
1/15/2010 8:27:05 PM
Have you considered replacing the SCSI controller?  I know some Adaptec
stuff from the time of the 2940s allow you to control the boot
capability of CDs on the bus, forcing the ATAPI drive to be active.

It has been a while but I don't recall any issues pulling drives off
other controllers and dropping them onto Adaptecs except for the usual
things Unix complains about when you change the boot devices.

0
edfair
1/16/2010 3:39:26 AM
At Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:39:26 -0600 edfair <edfair.44vwmx@no.email.invalid> wrote:

> Have you considered replacing the SCSI controller?  I know some Adaptec
> stuff from the time of the 2940s allow you to control the boot
> capability of CDs on the bus, forcing the ATAPI drive to be active.
>
> It has been a while but I don't recall any issues pulling drives off
> other controllers and dropping them onto Adaptecs except for the usual
> things Unix complains about when you change the boot devices.

The 'fake' CHS addressing of the old *ISA* Adaptecs (aha-15xx) are
incompatible with the newer *PCI* Adaptecs (aha-29xxx).  Note these
issues only relate to hard drives and not to CD-ROMs.  CD-ROMs use a
different SCSI command set protocol, which is the same across all SCSI
HBAs.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

0
Robert
1/16/2010 2:24:43 PM
"edfair" <edfair.44vwmx@no.email.invalid> wrote in message

> Have you considered replacing the SCSI controller?  I know some
> Adaptec
> stuff from the time of the 2940s allow you to control the boot
> capability of CDs on the bus, forcing the ATAPI drive to be active.
>
> It has been a while but I don't recall any issues pulling drives off
> other controllers and dropping them onto Adaptecs except for the usual
> things Unix complains about when you change the boot devices.

This Tekram card is an LVD/SE wide Ultra2 controller with that can
support older Fast SCSI devices as well without degradation of the speed
of the LVD drives (dual bus system.) That's why I can run both my SCSI
CD-ROM drive and the LVD hard drives at their maximum transfer speeds.
To get a corresponding Adaptec controller would probably be too much
invenstment in such an old PC.

I would have retired it years ago but for two things: first, it was one
I built from selected components in '99 so I feel special attachment to
it, and second, it's been rock solid. Those SCSI HDs costed me probably
more than double of similar non-SCSI HDs, but they sure seem to be much
more reliable, too. I might also add that for most tasks I need a PC
for, the system is still pretty adequate. I have a newer notebook for
tasks needing more resources.

By the way, I wonder when the ATAPI became a standard. A suspect later
than 2000, when the last BIOS for this Abit motherboard was issued, so
maybe that's why support for it is not in its BIOS. I added the Plextor
ATAPI drive to the system several years later. Originally I wanted the
second CD drive also to be SCSI because the first one was only a reader,
but by then SCSI CD writers were hard to find as even Plextor was making
mostly ATAPI drives.

0
Cameo
1/16/2010 6:56:08 PM
Then there is the possibility of throwing a PCI ATAPI controller in
place of the onboard and using the bios from it to control the booting.
Haven't ever done it, all mine are multiple SCSI controllers (up to 3)
under unix to get what I want to work.

0
edfair
1/19/2010 4:48:35 AM
"edfair" <edfair.450tpi@no.email.invalid> wrote in message

> Then there is the possibility of throwing a PCI ATAPI controller in
> place of the onboard and using the bios from it to control the
> booting.
> Haven't ever done it, all mine are multiple SCSI controllers (up to 3)
> under unix to get what I want to work.

Hm, I don't think I have any open slots left for that.

0
Cameo
1/19/2010 8:37:46 AM
In article <higk54$jn2$1@news.eternal-september.org>, Cameo
<cameo@cameo.invalid> writes

I can't see your screenshots.  Google Docs says they don't exist.

>By the way, I think the SCSI boot option might be applying in cases
>where the SCSI controller does not have a built-in BIOS.

No, it's just misleading terminology.  "Boot from SCSI" on older BIOSes
simply means that the motherboard BIOS offers the opportunity to add-in
cards with their own onboard BIOS to boot.  They don't have to be SCSI,
for example you can boot from a network card using BOOTP or TFTP.

This was so confusing for users that the wording used was changed. It's
now something like "Attempt boot from other devices" or "Boot from
external device", "Boot from add-in card", etc.

> However, the
>CDROM option definitely applies to drives on the EIDE bus.

Agreed.

I know you're reluctant to dive in, but temporarily unplugging the SCSI
card and seeing if the machine will now boot from cdrom is the way
forward.  If it doesn't, the cdrom is most likely bad.

If you don't actually boot from SCSI, then disabling the SCSI BIOS will
make POST quicker.  Windows will still find the card and initialise it
and make the attached devices available.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

0
Mike
4/27/2010 4:53:15 AM
In article <hinul1$p0q$1@news.eternal-september.org>, Percival P.
Cassidy <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> writes

>I meant Tekram model numbers ending in 5, which I have been told use
>chips other than BusLogic/LSILogic.

Certainly one was the AMD PCscsi chip, Am53c975 IIRC.  Nothing wrong
with it, it has good driver support.  I had a Tekram DC395 until
recently, this used Tekram's own chipset.

Tekram changed hands several times.  I have a feeling they may have been
borged into LSI Logic.

To the OP: to be honest, I wouldn't bother flashing the BIOS on the
card.  Adaptec 2940UWs and 29160s are dirt cheap on eBay and will Just
Work.  You may not even need the sacrificial goat and black candles.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(")  http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

0
Mike
4/27/2010 5:05:10 AM
In article <hit2oo$9pn$1@news.eternal-september.org>, Cameo
<cameo@cameo.invalid> writes

>By the way, I wonder when the ATAPI became a standard. A suspect later
>than 2000, when the last BIOS for this Abit motherboard was issued, so
>maybe that's why support for it is not in its BIOS.

Unlikely.  If you are offered the option to change the boot order to
something including "CDROM", the BIOS will understand ATAPI.

Hint: in the hard disc detection utility, or during the POST sequence,
if the CDROM is identified by make and model, the BIOS can talk ATAPI.

Finally, as another posted said, make sure the CDROM is attached to the
primary IDE controller if you're only using the one.

> I added the Plextor
>ATAPI drive to the system several years later. Originally I wanted the
>second CD drive also to be SCSI because the first one was only a reader,
>but by then SCSI CD writers were hard to find as even Plextor was making
>mostly ATAPI drives.

I've just chucked out a load of narrow SCSI stuff, including adapters,
CD-writers and a Plextor 12/20 PleX CD drive that would read anything -
even badly scratched discs that other drives wouldn't touch.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(")  http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

0
Mike

FS: Fighter ACE Ariel COMBAT GAme CD-ROM #2
Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?wp_ml=0&query=fighter+ace&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=seals4deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.u...

(AD eBay) Acorn Risc Systems
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=goth-in -a-box 4 complete Acorn systems, midi compatable. Matt ...

DAT drive failing?
I have a SCSI DAT-20 drive that I've been using for several years. Last week it seems to have failed. I inserted a tape and tried to start my regular backup job, but every 'mt' operation just gives 'Input/output error'. E.g., # mt status /dev/st0: Input/output error My SCSI controller is an Adaptec 29160N, using the aic7xxx kernel module. When I modprobe aic7xxx, here's what appears in kern.log: Jun 8 20:43:02 helium kernel: scsi8 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 7.0 Jun 8 20:43:02 helium kernel: <Adaptec 29160N Ultra160 SCSI adapt...

MIMO RADAR System Design in Simulink
Dear All, I am new in simulink and want to design a MIMO Radar System to test some Signal Processing technique on the received signal. Is it possible to design it using Phased Array Toolbox ? Is it possible to design it using MIMO Communication Block Set? If anyone can give a guideline for the whole process or refer to any link where can i get all the helpful stuffs that will be great. Thank You Nazmul ...

G5/Tiger with a PC keyboard: how do you eject the CD tray?
How does one get the (empty) CD tray to eject when using a G5 with a non-mac keyboard? Since this G5 doesn't have a Cd eject button on its face, I tried all the function keys... Cmd-E... to no avail. (i did discover a lot of neato Expose shortcuts from the function keys, though.) I solved the CD problem for now by hooking up the Apple keyboard and pressing the CD eject key on it... so now i got my first CD is in the G5, and I could keep it there for the ability to select it and press Cmd-E at any later time... .... but there ought to be a better way to deal with this. In arti...

WTB: Crimson or Power Series System
Howdy All, If you have a working or non-working Crimson or Power Series system and you are looking to sell it, please send me an e-mail. sberge@get.com Thank you Steve ...

Debian can not recognise my DVD CD-ROM?
Debian Sarge can not recognise my DVD CD-ROM by system installation.. system ask me drivers from floppy.. I have Sony DVD-RW CD-ROM any help? ...

atapi/lvd bridge
anyone know if the following adapter would work with the plextor PX-716A dvd writer? AEC-7722 - LVD SCSI to IDE Bridge Adapter http://www.acard.com.tw/english/fb01-product.jsp?idno_no=37&prod_no=AEC-7722&type1_title=SCSIDE%20Bridge&type1_idno=2 ADAEC7722 - ATAPI to SCSI converter http://www.addonics.com/products/io/atapi_scsi.asp ...

USB drive (ntfs) stops working randomly. Any ideas?
Specs: Fedora 1 on an AMD 1Ghz (quite old by now). Gigabyte m/b with USB 2.0 (I think) kernel : 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl External HDD (120g) in a bracket, plugged into USB port. My external drive works most of the time, but at odd times I will lose access to it. I cannot use it at all after that. When I try: modprobe -r usb-storage It comes back with: usb-storage: Device or resource busy When I try remove ntfs module, I get: ntfs: Device or resource busy I power-off the drive and leave it for ages and then power-on and dmesg reports the usual: hub.c: new USB device 00:10...

mounting external hard drive on linux
I want to mount my external hard drive from linux. It is a Smartdisk firelite, and I just have to connect it to the usb device on my laptop... when I connect it to my laptop, its light doesn't even start blinking or anything. I know the usb port works on my laptop because I have mounted my flash drives and I have used this hard drive in windows partition of my laptop... Deos any body know how to get it work? or where to start? I'm kinda a newbies, so any kind of help or even suggestions for trobleshooting would help! Thanks, -- -Mina Doroudi (dormina@cc.ga...

Is there a way to have a service (no window) be notified when system shuting down?
Is there a way to have a service (no window) be notified when system shuting down and even stop shuting down? --------------- Kenji Chan Oh I found it (SERVICE_CONTROL_SHUTDOWN) ...

Unable to map drive
I have 3 PCs on a Win2K PTP network. All machines are virtually identical with a few differences in the installed software. The OS and Office apps on all PCs are regularly updated. There are two printers also connected to the network (not locally to any PC), one of which is an HP PSC 2100 all-in-one device with a card reader. Despite many problems with the HP Director software, I now have a fully functional installation on all machines except one on which everything works OK (printing, scanning, faxing, etc.) except that the card reader is showing as disconnected from this machin...

Need a replacement for CD-RW/DVD drive for Toshiba Satellite
Hello, Can anyone point to a place where I can find a reasonably-priced replacement for a dead CD-RW/DVD drive in a Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504. I've been hunting around and only found one place that had them and they wanted $329! The computer itself isn't worth a whole lot more than that. If there aren't any cheaper replacements, is there a compatible drive that is just a CD or CD/DVD that would fit? That would at least allow boots from the CD and watching DVD's. Lastly, how do you remove/replace this drive? There seems to be only one screw holding it in the c...

ATAPI Suppolemental Controller
Is anyone familiar with a PCI add-on card that I can use to add more ATAPI drives, which has OS2 support? I need to add more ide drives beyond the 4 already allowed with my Intel mobo. Running WSeB, 4.52. Alex Smariga -- Alex Smariga wrote: > Is anyone familiar with a PCI add-on card that I can use to add more > ATAPI drives, which has OS2 support? I need to add more ide drives > beyond the 4 already allowed with my Intel mobo. I use a Maxtor-labelled Promise UDMA133 card with DANIS506.ADD. Works fine (note that the Promise SATA ones have a regular IDE port which does *n...

Newer tape drive for model 810?
We have an old 3750 Magstar B01 tape library (15GB compressed) on a 2748 SCSI card. I'd like to get something faster, not necessarily higher density. Any ideas? Could I save some money by putting a newer drive in this library? I'm looking to spend around $3k for a refurbed unit that hopefully I can put on maintenance. Thanks! You can put a drive in your current library ... however ... I would recommend the "C" format of this same series: -- 7.0Mb versus 2.2Mb speed -- The two drive version, 3570-C02, is around $2500 for reconditioned and eligible for maintenance -- S...

Maxtor External USB 2.0 Drive 3000LE & Large Drives
I also have the USB2 Maxtor 3000LE external. My Windows XP machine can handle 300 gig drives... but when I try to put 1 in the 3000LE case... it only sees 137gig. Did you have to do anything special to get yours to work? Where did you see that chipset... and part #? I don't see anything that says "Cypress" on the board inside mine. Thanks. Original msg..... Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:43:15 -0500 Organization: MindSpring Enterprises Lines: 47 Message-ID: <912f5vssad7q158b98h0l7a64vll2ki58r@4ax.com> NNTP-Posting-Host: 42.a7.27.2f Mime-Version: 1...

CD
Hello Everybody, Can anyone tell me how to avoid user from copying CD for piracy. Vikas Gupta wrote: > Hello Everybody, > Can anyone tell me how to avoid user from copying CD for piracy. What is on the CD? Does the CD have to be in the drive for the software to run? Vikas, Given the fact that the major recording companies of the world have failed to do this, what is it that you think we are going to tell you <g>. Let's take a step back. What are you wanting to protect? Don't you register your software? If so, give it away to as many people as possibl...

[Q] SAN drive number different on Redhat AS?
I have several DELL servers with Qlogic HBA cards on it. Every server have different SAN driver number assign to it. For example some servers SAN drive start on /dev/sdd and some servers start on /dev/sde. The local disks on DELL server are the same why SAN drive numbert different? The O.S. we have are AS 3.0 and 2.1. Thanks. ...

newbee learning linux: how to allow write permission to user on mounted drives
hi everybody, i just joint this group. i am a new linux user and have installed redhat 9 enterprise edition on my system. can somebody tell me how to allow users other than root to write on mounted partions.i have entered following in my etc\fstab: #win /dev/hda6/ /windows_e vfat default,rw,user 0 0 do i have to use unmask option ?what is unmask. also please suggest few video players for redhat.which can play both dvd as well as vcd.i tried to download mpegtv but fttp downloads are not allowed in our university. and how can i add enque option to mp3 files , i am using xm...

need OS/2 warp 4 cd
i dont care for ecommstation, it doesnt have the same feel. i will pay for a copy of an original warp 4 cd, but i cant find one anywhere. i just want my good old os2 warp 4 blue cd. PLEASE HELP lthrwolf@hotmail.com im sorry if ive posted to the wrong group lthrwolf@gmail.com wrote: > i dont care for ecommstation, it doesnt have the same feel. i will pay > for a copy of an original warp 4 cd, but i cant find one anywhere. i > just want my good old os2 warp 4 blue cd. > > PLEASE HELP > > lthrwolf@hotmail.com > > im sorry if ive posted to the wrong group I wis...

How to capture the output from TCL prompt and save it to a file on Linux file system.
Hello All, I login to TCL prompt and run a simple query which lists few rows. I want to capture those rows and save it to a file on file system. I am working on a Sun Solaris ver. 5.9. Here is the sample query that i run from TCL prompt: >SELECT DISTINCT CATEGORY FROM DS_JOBS; And the Resultant set looks like this: Category............ ABC\ACEIQ\JOBS\C UST_SPCLTY ABC\ACEIQ\JOBS\C UST_SPC SSHIP\SEQ PLIC\CNTRL Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks Vini On Mar 22, 7:26=A0pm, Vini <vinay.renukun...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello All, > > I login to TCL prompt and run a si...

TORONTO - Business and Systems Analyst (infrastructure contract)
=============================================== Please forward your credentials to debra-lynn@ic3corp.com =============================================== Term: Oct. 4 2004 - Dec. 31 2004 (possible extension 6-12 months) Rate: $380 to $460 per day for 7.25 hours/day average (depending on experience; could go higher). This consultant will work with the Project Manager for a large Infrastructure Consolidation project. This assignment requires a hands-on Business / Systems Analyst who can initially help with developing a business solutions architecture and implementation plan f...

Flashing Voodoo 3 ROM
Hi, I was searching around the web to find a ROM flasher/driver for a 3dfx Voodoo 3 card. From <http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/voodoo3_beta13.html#storytop> a .sea.bin file can be downloaded (1.3MB), but on my system it fails to extract for some reason. Does anyone here know of a different URL with such a driver, or have a working copy on a dusty HD somewhere? Thanks, -- T Sandvik // to send e-mail, remove SPAMTRAP In article <1gmt0qf.gsr1l1k27g7uN%exbn-ppinSPAMTRAP@dea.spamcon.org>, exbn-ppinSPAMTRAP@dea.spamcon.org (ts) wrote: > Hi, ...

WTB: copy of 320 installation CD
I want to buy a copy of an SGI 320 workstation installation CD for loading NT ( I already have the license, so I only need the actual installation software). You may contact me at galleco@[REMOVE]juno.com. P.S., if such an installation CD even exists for W2K, I would prefer to have this instead. Thanks! In article <tmomtvks5m68n2bivr1hopg8eanlk1r8hp@4ax.com>, Tutor the Turtle <Help!@Mr_Wizard.com> wrote: > I want to buy a copy of an SGI 320 workstation installation CD for > loading NT ( I already have the license, so I only need the actual > installation s...

Seeking floppies for System 7.0 or 7.1
Dear Mac devotees, I have a Mac SE, an older toaster-style Mac. I seek to install Clarisworks 4.0 (which I have), but Clarisworks 4.0 requires System 7.0 or System 7.1 .. Presently, the SE has an early version of System 6. Does anyone have System 7.0 or 7.1 to sell? Either originals or backup floppies are acceptable. Manual would be good, but if the disks are self-installable, that would be enough. BTW, the Mac SE has a floppy drive only, no CD-Rom. Please reply to buggie@unm.edu Steve Buggie | programmer/deejay | Psychology Professor ...