Boot from CD-ROM from BIOS-less SCSI controller

I currently have an Adaptec 29160N controller and several SCSI
devices, one of which is a Pioneer DVD-303S DVD/CD-ROM. In my current
setup, I have no problem booting from this drive. (In the Adaptec
BIOS, I've included the Pioneer's SCSI ID in the BIOS scan and "BIOS
support for Bootable CD-ROM" has also been enabled. My motherboard, an
MSI 845E Max-L, supports booting from SCSI devices.) I'm thinking of
buying a cheap BIOS-less Tekram DC-305IE as a backup SCSI controller.
Will I still be able to boot from a CD-ROM using the Tekram? IOW, is
SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?

regards, Andy

                                   **********

           The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
                            Take them out to reply.

                                   **********
0
Andrew
10/3/2003 6:37:42 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2471 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

"Andrew Aronoff" <XusenetX@XaaronoffX.com> wrote in message news:gfgrnv0hil8e378bhnngap9c9qojiua678@4ax.com...
> I currently have an Adaptec 29160N controller and several SCSI devi-
> ces, one of which is a Pioneer DVD-303S DVD/CD-ROM. In my current
> setup, I have no problem booting from this drive. (In the Adaptec BIOS,
> I've included the Pioneer's SCSI ID in the BIOS scan and "BIOS sup-
> port for Bootable CD-ROM" has also been enabled. My motherboard, an
> MSI 845E Max-L, supports booting from SCSI devices.) I'm thinking of
> buying a cheap BIOS-less Tekram DC-305IE as a backup SCSI controller.

> Will I still be able to boot from a CD-ROM using the Tekram?

No.

> IOW, is  SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?

Yes.

> regards, Andy
>
>                                    **********
>
>            The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
>                             Take them out to reply.
>
>                                    **********
0
Folkert
10/3/2003 7:12:41 PM
Hi, Folkert.

>> IOW, is SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?
>
>Yes.

OK, thanks for the info.

regards, Andy

                                   **********

           The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
                            Take them out to reply.

                                   **********
0
Andrew

Basic Rom 8250 and 8280
Hello, Q: Are the basic and diskdrive Eproms from the 8280 and the 8250/55 the same ? The special functions for the 8280 are located in the extra rom next to the basic and disk rom, am i correct ? I want to change the basic rom so it will detect the ram expansion, can i download it somewhere? Or will someone email it to me? Email: sokolowski ad home dot nl Emil "Emil Sokolowski" <eeesokolowski@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Q: Are the basic and diskdrive Eproms from the 8280 and the 8250/55 the same >? > The special fun...

Image control flicker problem VB6
When you drag over any control on image control or shape control. It flickers a lot. anybody has any solution to this. ...

bootable cd on Compaq/HP portable
I have a problem with 3 different portables of Compaq/HP. It's about Evo N800c, Evo N1020V and NX9010. Those portables do not have a floppydrive. I'll have to create images of each with Symantec Ghost. Normally I do this with the Ghost console on the server and a bootable floppy drive on the client. I did make a bootabcle cd with Nero 6.0 but not one of these portables works with it. I tried the cd on and old Dell portable and there it works. Is there anybody who can give me a solutions ? ...

Need a copy of Modem control panel version 3.1.2...(system 9?)
To whom it may concern: ;-) Could someone email me (as an attachment) version 3.1.2 of the Modem control panel? (long story) I believe it corresponds to System version 9.0, but it may also be 8.6. Please send it to oliverlu94117@yahoo.com. Thanks very much. P.S. If there's any place to download it online (that you could give me the URL to) that would be equally helpful. Thanks ...

MOTLoad netBoot to boot vxWorks
I am trying to use MOTLoad's netBoot to boot a vxWorks kernel but so far have been unsuccessful. The netBoot command successfully download's my vxWorks kernel but the system hangs when trying to execute at the beginning of the kernel. Is there an offset that I need to use? I tried changing RAM_LOW_ADRS (in both config.h and Makefile) to the location where netBoot stores the vxWorks kernel on my board (MVME6100) but it didnt work. Does anyone know how/if this is possible? Thanks, Chris VxWorks version 5.5.1 KERNEL: WIND version 2.6 CPU: Motorola MVME6100-0163 - MPC 7457 BSP version: 1...

Speed kills (big SCSI hard drive recommendations)
I was feeling a bit under-equipped. For middle aged men, it's an ego threatening issue. I wandt to put a bigger, faster, but not hotter SCSI drive in the 9585 that I have called Rapacious. I do not have a fan wall to try and cool a nuclear core breach. 32-50GB? -- Reply to ohland@charter.net Louis, I've got some 36GB wide SCSI drives, but I think that all of them run at 10,000 RPM and thus run hot (and relatively noisy). My 9GB wide SCSI drives that run at 10,000 RPM are equally hot and noisy, while the 7200 RPM drives are fairly cool and quiet. So if you ca...

Database mgr's. for 8 bit controllers
With many 8 bit controllers being able to address up to 16 MB of memory and offering embedded web servers, it is desirable to have a DB mgm't. program to access data. The data would likely be in NVRAM or disk on a chip, but could be a disk file. Anyone know of a good solution? Thanks, Dave ...

Lan boot
Hi, I have a "hp 9000 d-class" and I have install a Debian but the cdrom drive is broken, I can install from lan? How to? Thanks Sorry for my bad English. juan wrote: > Hi, I have a "hp 9000 d-class" and I have install a Debian but the > cdrom drive is broken, I can install from lan? How to? In short: - Put the net-install image on a tftp-server - configure bootp (see your dhcp-server) that the machine should boot the image More (way more) details are at http://parisc-linux.org/, there in the faq. or the other links at the pa-porting page at debian: http://www...

HD and CD burner setup for the perfect burn
OK. Jolt ingestion has occurred. Tim, here is my understanding of various utterances. On the system SCSI adapter, I have the OS and the SCSI burning software. On a bus-mastering SCSI adapter, CD burner and dedicated HD. For Winblowze systems, for W9x systems, I would use a BT-646S. I think the narrow fast will be able to keep up. For NT, OS/2, or 'nix based systems, you could use another IBM SCSI adapter (like the cheap DFW) There may be some bios bungles with the Buslogic. You might end up placing the CD at ID2 instead of ID0. If the 646 detects a devic...

iTunes and strange CD problem.
I've got two drives on this computer, one's a DVD/CD reader. I think it's a Lite-on. The other is a CD burniing drive of the same company. Anyway, was just playing CDs through iTunes and I put a rather dirty copy of a Doors cd in the first drive, figuring it wouldn't play right. It didn't as I expected, so I simply removed it. However, whenever I try to play a cd with that drive now through iTunes it plays too fast, not in an increased pitch sort of fast, but it skips . Funny thing is, it'll play fine in Foobar2000. I even ran one of those CD lense cleaning discs throu...

Help with using MS visual basic 6 and SCPI controlled keithley meter
I'm a beginner with visual basic 6. I have some experience with programming in general but it has been a while. I'm trying to program a basic read and write for a dc voltage reading via an rs232 interfaced SCPI keithly 2000 meter. I'm also not familiar with SCPI. I simply want to: Take a dc voltage reading from the meter Take a date & timestamp from the host pc Send this data to a text file (comma seperated) wait 5 seconds repeat Due to time restrictions and a fellow worker that is MIA, I'm not worried about having a menu driven setup and I'll simply overwrite old dat...

Toshiba laptop boot-up failure
I was given a Toshiba Tecra 8000 P-II. After I turn it on, it gives me a message that I have to insert the system disk. I can not bring up to the DOS setup screen by pressing F8. Can I assume that the laptop, as the initial step at least, needs to have the OS reinstalled? Also, if so, would it be capable of running XP Home? I think it's CPU speed is approx. 2-300 mHz. Thanks, Njord "Njord Noatun" <sigurdk@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message news:dxKOd.2786$lz5.1091@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net... > I was given a Toshiba Tecra 8000 P-II. After I turn it on, i...

How to install the boot loader in the Master Boot Record ?
When I installed Red Hat 9, I installed the boot loader (Grub) in the first sector of the boot partition (/boot). How can I reinstall the boot loader in the Master Boot Record? Thanks in advance. > When I installed Red Hat 9, I installed the boot loader (Grub) in > the first sector of the boot partition (/boot). How can I reinstall > the boot loader in the Master Boot Record? > Thanks in advance. I'm able to boot Linux using the boot floppy disk. On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:57:30 -0500, Arctic Inferno wrote: > When I installed Red Hat 9, I installed the boot loader (Gr...

Booting kernel 2.6test9 on redhat 9
Not to long ago I installed redhat 9 on one of my machines. It was a plain jane install in which I had it install everything. I have since bought a device that is only supported with a 2.6 kernel. I went to kernel.org and downloaded 2.6-test9 and while it compiled all right it can't get the machine to boot. It gets to the point of mounting the root filesystem and then I get a kernel panic. The exact error is "kernel panic: FS: unable to mount root fs on uknown-block(0,0). The root filesystem is ext3 and I've compiled in both ext2 and ext3. The drive is attached to a pr...

FS: kids Sports MULTIMEDIA Activity CD-ROM
Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=kids+sports&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=seals4-deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/seals4-...

RedHat linux 6.2 boot problem
are there any historians who can help? I am running version 6.2 and have problems during boot stage 3. The boot process runs a script supposed to start a license manger process running but doesn't When I run the same script manually it works?? So what am I doing wrong? Is it a question of ownership, groups? On 2006-09-11, john hawkins <john_f_hawkins@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am running version 6.2 Geeweez, have you considered to upgrade to something less geriatric? > process runs a script supposed to start a license manger process running but > doesn'...

Redirect control center script output
Folks, Is there any way to have the output of scripts that are scheduled through the Script Center/Journal tools, to be redirected to some other directory besides the sqllib\db2das00 location? I was able to move the scripts themselves to another drive, but the output still gets put in the DAS directory. Platform is WinNT\udb v7.2 fp5. Thanks in advance for any feedback, Sean No one's found a way around this? If anyone knows a way to simply suppress the output of scripts scheduled through the control center, I would find that extemely helpful as well. dba_fla@yahoo.com...

Boot problem Disc Guru Needed!
(This information probably isn't needed but.. Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop, Windows XP Pro, original Fujitsu 40Gb 2.5" IDE drive, IBM Travel Star 60Gb 2.5" IDE drive mounted in Media Bay as removeable media) from the beginning.... My hard disc failed and I was unable to boot. Tried installing failed disk in other laptop via USB and on desk top via 3.5" to 2" adapter. Ocasionally managed to see drive in WIndows Explorer when connected through USB but unable to see any partitions/file systems. When connected through hard disk controller, even the bios would not de...

boot image you just created might fail to boot because the size exceeds the system limit
Hi All, I have the well known message "the boot image you just created might fail to boot because the size exceeds the system limit" due to having accepted the default on install for ALL_DEVICES_KERNELS=yes, as can be found in /var/adm/ras/bosinst.data. My question does anyone have an elegant solution to this problem. I could remove the filesets individually but which ones? Is there a simple command I can run to find out which are the unnecessary filesets? Most of our machines are half a days drive away so I don't want to be messing with CD's in the event of a reinstall, I ...

virtual list controls and deselection events
I seem to have a problem that my derived virtual list control can handle selection events, but it does not seem to catch deselection events. The only thing I found about this was a post: http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=b47106c.0311291141.338da582%40posting.g oogle.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain a couple months ago that had no responses. Does anyone have any ideas? -- KCS On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:52:43 GMT Kevin Saff <google.com@kevin.saff.net> wrote: KS> I seem to have a problem that my derived virtual list control can handle KS> selection events, bu...

Need Acrosser BIOS
I need urgently AR-B1541 CPU Board bios. Anyone who use it? I tried to find it in the Acrosser web page but there is only AR-B1540 bios. It didn't fit. ...

SCSI Write command (6 Bytes long /operation code 0xA)
SCSI Write command (6 Bytes long /operation code 0xA): Is this SCSI command have been used by one of the typical H.D file-system layer(NTFS,FAT32,FAT16) ? The file systems call disk class to do I/O, whose source is provided. I believe only read/write(10) are used. "Maurice zmau" <zmau@netvision.net.il> wrote in message news:a4a129d6.0311160542.1002badb@posting.google.com... | SCSI Write command (6 Bytes long /operation code 0xA): | | Is this SCSI command have been used by one of the typical H.D | file-system layer(NTFS,FAT32,FAT16) ? On 16 Nov 2003 05:42:47 -...

PowerMac Case + Hard Drive Controller?
Hi... I've got my new PowerMac G5 on order and I'm hoping to be able to move one of my current internal SCSI hard drives into the new PowerMac. I have a PCI SCSI controller which I can plug into the PowerMac. I haven't been able to look inside the new PowerMac case in person. But from every picture I've seen, there doesn't seem to be a path that I can string a SCSI ribbon cable from the PCI slots to the hard drive bays. Is there a way to connect an internal SCSI hard drive to the new PowerMacs? -- gbeggs1@mts.net http://www.mts.net/~gbeggs1/ ...

SR449BX 2 CDs -- Cannot boot from CD, why??? #2
I have a P3 on a SR440BX mobo with a CD-ROM and a CD-RW plus a couple of IDE hard drives. I can boot from a floppy or from the firs Hard Drive, but not from either CD. The BIOS has the option to set booting from "ATAPI CD" but does not let me pick which one so it does not boot . I'm trying to install Linux on the seconnnd HDD but Fedora does not support floppy boot for the install, so I have to boot from the CD> How do I do it?? ...

CFP: IEEE in co-operated International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling,Control and Automation
CALL FOR PAPERS International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control and Automation 28 - 30 November 2005 Vienna, Austria http://www.ise.canberra.edu.au/conferences/cimca05/ In co-operation with: IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Sponsored by: European Society for Fuzzy Logic and Technology - EUFLAT International Association for Fuzzy Set in Management and Economy - SIGEF Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Intelligent Informatics - SOFT Taiwan Fuzzy Systems As...