Boot from CD-ROM from BIOS-less SCSI controller

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I currently have an Adaptec 29160N controller and several SCSI
devices, one of which is a Pioneer DVD-303S DVD/CD-ROM. In my current
setup, I have no problem booting from this drive. (In the Adaptec
BIOS, I've included the Pioneer's SCSI ID in the BIOS scan and "BIOS
support for Bootable CD-ROM" has also been enabled. My motherboard, an
MSI 845E Max-L, supports booting from SCSI devices.) I'm thinking of
buying a cheap BIOS-less Tekram DC-305IE as a backup SCSI controller.
Will I still be able to boot from a CD-ROM using the Tekram? IOW, is
SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?

regards, Andy

                                   **********

           The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
                            Take them out to reply.

                                   **********
0
Reply Andrew 10/3/2003 6:37:42 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Andrew Aronoff" <XusenetX@XaaronoffX.com> wrote in message news:gfgrnv0hil8e378bhnngap9c9qojiua678@4ax.com...
> I currently have an Adaptec 29160N controller and several SCSI devi-
> ces, one of which is a Pioneer DVD-303S DVD/CD-ROM. In my current
> setup, I have no problem booting from this drive. (In the Adaptec BIOS,
> I've included the Pioneer's SCSI ID in the BIOS scan and "BIOS sup-
> port for Bootable CD-ROM" has also been enabled. My motherboard, an
> MSI 845E Max-L, supports booting from SCSI devices.) I'm thinking of
> buying a cheap BIOS-less Tekram DC-305IE as a backup SCSI controller.

> Will I still be able to boot from a CD-ROM using the Tekram?

No.

> IOW, is  SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?

Yes.

> regards, Andy
>
>                                    **********
>
>            The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
>                             Take them out to reply.
>
>                                    **********
0
Reply Folkert 10/3/2003 7:12:41 PM

Hi, Folkert.

>> IOW, is SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?
>
>Yes.

OK, thanks for the info.

regards, Andy

                                   **********

           The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
                            Take them out to reply.

                                   **********
0
Reply Andrew 10/3/2003 11:29:15 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

modify syslinux.cfg to boot linux cd in scsi cd rom
How can I tell linux to boot from a scsi device? What do I need to modify in syslinux.cfg? How can I load the scsi driver (block driver disk)? ...

Booting from a CD-Rom on a SCSI drive
Hi, I have been unable to get my system to read bootable cd's from my SCSI CD-ROM drive during startup. I have enabled the "Boot from CD-ROM" setting in the motherboard's CMOS, but I suspect this only applies to drives connected to an IDE bus. I am using an Adaptec UW SCSI card. Any suggestions? Boot order in the system BIOS should have SCSI before IDE devices. Boot from CDROM must be enabled in the SCSI BIOS. The Adaptec 2940UW will boot with some CDs but not others. This is because of incompatible CD boot schemes. Claus Dragon wrote: > > While forming in a st...

scsi controller with no bios nor boot support!
hi all.. ive a adaptec ava-2904 scsi controller with one scsi hdd connected (with obsd installed in it) but the thing its i cant boot from the hdd... so i need a floppy bootdisk with the adaptec drivers so i can boot obsd! ...can someone please tellme how i can boot OpenBSD with this problem? how can i do a boot disk so i can run openbsd from a non-bootable scsi controller? please helpme... Thank you very much for the support given! Bruno ...

boot knoppix from SCSI CD ROM
My hard disk was corrupted and I've tried to fix with "e2fsck -y". Then "re-install/repair" with Red Hat 9. It seems to boot and mount hard disk but no network support and cannot mount floppy. With knoppix, I can boot it off CD and run entire linux. But I have SCSI CD ROM, can someone tell me how I can boot knoppix with SCSI? On 2004-12-13, jimmy_please@yahoo.com <jimmy_please@yahoo.com> wrote: > My hard disk was corrupted and I've tried to fix with "e2fsck -y". > Then "re-install/repair" with Red Hat 9. It seems to boo...

how do I get into toshiba satellite laptop's bios? Also how do I boot from cd-rom?
TIA! Sammy Smith <myemail@email.net> wrote in comp.laptops: > TIA! Toshiba has made about 1,093,647,210 models with that name, making it hard to advise. On my Satellite, hitting F2 after a boot does the trick. Booting from CD Rom is set in the BIOS or sometimes directly at boot by pressing C, if indicated on your startup screen. -- CeeBee *** The Cookie Has Spoken *** ...

D850GB P13 BIOS Can't select to boot from ADAPTEC 2410sa SATA RAID controller seen as SCSI
I've installed an Adaptec SATA 2410sa controller. It is a SATA RAID (hardware) controller that presents itself as a SCSI controller to the computer. The controller has BIOS enabled for booting. From the computer BIOS I see no way to boot from this controller... it can only boot from the IDE drive connected to the motherboard IDE controller. The BIOS drop down list box has no SCSI choice showing. After booting from the IDE drive with Windows XP I can see the new controller and it's drive correctly and use it as an additional drive but I can't set the BIOS to boot from it... I n...

HP SCSI cd-rom and SCSI-Kit
Hello all, I have an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 1260 that I recently fitted a SCSI-Kit to. The 1230scsi.device appears in Hdtoolbox so I'm assuming the SCSI interface is fuctioning (memory works in the SIM socket too). I have tried to connect a HP 9600se external cd writer from a pc to it with no luck. On startup on the 1200 the internal IDE harddrive fails to boot until I pull the power from the external burner, then it will boot up as normal. Has anyone had any experience with this drive? I am also assuming the drive does not require a terminator as the instructions say to plac...

Boot from CDROM without CD booting support in the BIOS
I have an old machine that doesn't support booting from CDROMs, but it can boot from a floppy. I'd like to know where I can get a floppy that will let me transfer the boot process to my CD drive. I've heard of this before, but I can't find out where to get one of these. On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:04:11 -0500, "Mumia W." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote: >I have an old machine that doesn't support booting from CDROMs, but it >can boot from a floppy. > >I'd like to know where I can get a floppy that will let me transfer the...

Wanted: SCSI CD ROM & SCSI SCANNER!
Is there a vendor who could sell me an external SCSI CD ROM or CDRW for my ST and/or a flatbed SCSI scanner? E-Mail replies please! Atari Jaguar, 8 Bit and ST Games/Software, Hardware/Accessories & References/ Books. FREE Catalogs on Ben's Domain at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify Atari 8 Bit, ST, Jaguar and/or all 3! Or Call Ben anytime at (503)256-9974!!! ...

CD-ROM acting strange when trying to boot from XP CD
I have two identical 5 year old laptops. Each has a combo DVD/CD/floppy drive. When both systems were new, you could boot from the CD drive when that option was turned on in the BIOS. About 1 year ago laptop A was still bootable from the CD. However, something happened to the CD drive on laptop B so that the only disks it could read were either audio CDs or movie DVDs. If I put in the XP CD and tried to boot, it sat stalled and never put up the message on the screen "To boot from the CD, press any key ...". If I booted from XP on the hard drive and then tried to look at a software...

OpenBSD 3.4 boots from CD, but then no CD-ROM found?
I purchased the OpenBSD 3.4 CD set. It boots fine from CD1. No problems through disklabel, filesystem, hostname, or network setup. But when I choose Where are the install sets? c I get No CD-ROMs found Trying (h)ttp setup results in Getting base34.tgz *** 4704 KB - stalled or similar stalls from all US servers. One time I did get almost all of man34.tgz before stalling for several hours. That would have left just a few packages to go. How do I get OpenBSD to mount my CD-ROM. I've burned ISO's of Knoppix, FIRE, Smoothwall, and other non-WIN32 OSes which load OK on thi...

Wanted: SCSI CD ROM & SCSI SCANNER! #2
Is there a vendor who could sell me an external SCSI CD ROM or CDRW for my ST and/or a flatbed SCSI scanner? E-Mail replies please! Atari Jaguar, 8 Bit and ST Games/Software, Hardware/Accessories & References/ Books. FREE Catalogs on Ben's Domain at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify Atari 8 Bit, ST, Jaguar and/or all 3! Or Call Ben anytime at (503)256-9974!!! ...

Trying to boot Linux with live CD killed by CD-ROM
I tried to boot Damn Small Linux from a CD but it failed sometime in the middle of the process. I hit the reset button to start over and now I cannot use my CD-ROM. It will not boot from the CD drive and even in Windows if I put in a music CD it makes sounds like it's looking for something then ejects. Was something of the failed boot saved in some persistant CD drive storage? How do I get my CD-ROM back from the dead? ...

"Boot From atapi CD-ROM. Boot disk failure"
Hi all, im a trainee Technician at Dyffryn School. Recently the bloody librarian came down to me and the Head technician with a "Boot From atapi CD-ROM. Boot disk failure", i think its a cd-rom fault or it 'could' be a faulty ide cable, can anyone give me an insight on solving the problem Nice one!!! Craig thetyrant82@hotmail.com (Craig) wrote in message news:<a70a2c7c.0311100121.16fef40e@posting.google.com>... > Hi all, im a trainee Technician at Dyffryn School. Recently the bloody > librarian came down to me and the Head technician with a "Boot From > ...

FA: External SCSI CD Rom Drive w/SCSI cable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5197568837 ...

FA: External SCSI CD Rom Drive w/SCSI Cable
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5197568837 ...

READ(10) for the SCSI command. I cannot read the CD-ROM via the SCSI command.
Dear all, I use the SCSI command to read the CD-ROM. The below is my code. DiskDevice=3D CreateFile("\\\\.\\E", // file name GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE , // access mode FILE_SHARE_READ |FILE_SHARE_WRITE, // share mode NULL, // SD OPEN_EXISTING, // how to create 0, // file attrib NULL ); // handle to template file SRB_EXECSCS...

Help! Need boot manager able to boot to non-BIOS controller drives.
So I inherited a slightly old Dell Precision workstation. It's braindead BIOS only allows booting from drives attached to onboard controllers. I had bought a nice new 3Gbps SATA Raid PCI card, and hoped to be able to boot from it, but found that - although the RAID setup code on the card could be run at boot time, the BIOS itself didn't know that that card was out there and that there were drives attached to it. I have tried several boot managers (booted them from CD), and also tried installing Windows XP and gave it the controller manufacturer's driver floppy to load, but neithe...

RamFAST rev B v3.00h ROM and SCSI CD-ROM/Floptical
So I'm pulling an all-nighter to tinker with the various IIgs goodies that Santa brought me :) quick updates: 1. the TWgs is not stable @ 12 MHz (and yes, I ultimately cut the TC4/ TC5 bow ties to rule it out). It would hang within 10 minutes while running Modulae, also it'd crash while sitting idle at the Finder desktop. Running the continuous self test will eventually log a Language Card error. Tried it on two different ROM 1s (one with a GS RAM Plus 6MB and another with GS Juice+ 4MB). 2. it is very stable @ 7 MHz (the original 28 MHz crystal) and also @ 10 MHz. ...

Create bootable floppy disk use the Knoppix CD in SCSI CD ROM
Hi to all Linux expert out there, Can I create a bootable floppy disk so that it will load up SCSI driver then use the Knoppix CD locate in SCSI CD ROM to boot? Thanks in advance, Jimmy ...

Boot from CD Rom
I've somehow changed my PAM libraries in such a way as to make them group writable, and apparently this is causing the boot login process to fail. I'm willing to completely reinstall my OS from CDROM if I can just interfupt the login sequence and get to a prompt where I can issue the command "BOOT CDROM". I've tried STOP ^C ^H ^D and everything else I can think of but I can't get the systems attention. What is that magic? Even better would be to be able to login as root and change the permissions back but I'm guessing that is well beyond my skill to locate the...

CD ROM Control
Hi ! Could any body help me in taking the control of the CD rom drive from the MATLAB enviornment . I want to call a dll that takes care of the CD rom drive but i dont know what is the dll that deals with CD ROM drive . Want to do simple applications like ejecting the cd drive and playing the cd from the MATLAB environment . Regards Anshu ...

FS(CHEAP!): SCSI CD-ROM, 5 1/4" SCSI case, 56K modem, Serial Switchbox, Free/Cheap Software
FOR SALE or TRADE Apple CD300 SCSI CD-ROM External 2x SCSI CD-ROM Use the CD-ROM or just the case! $10 obo External 5 1/4" SCSI case For an external CD or DVD drive. Use as is for a SCSI drive or with a Firewire bridgeboard. $10 obo Supra 56K external modem RS-422 jack for pre USB Macs Or use a converter for RS-232 $ 5 obo Belkin RS-422 4-way serial switch box Four devices on one port or four ports on one device Includes serial null cable $10 obo Waves Native Power Pack 2.5 Installation CD & floppies ...

AOL controls my CD-ROM
How do I get AOL to loosen its grip agains my CD-ROM? When I insert a CD, AOL gets called. We no longer use AOL, anyway When AOL installs, from version 7.0 and up i believe, it asks to be made the default application for CD Playback. If you have a lot of people that use the computer, and / or you didn't catch what AOL was asking before you just clicked on OK, then AOL made itself the defualt program for playing CD's. The quickest way to fix this, in my opinion, is to go to Windows Explorer View and right click on any mp3, wav, cda, or similar audio file, and choose to "Open With...