Boot from CD-ROM from BIOS-less SCSI controller

I currently have an Adaptec 29160N controller and several SCSI
devices, one of which is a Pioneer DVD-303S DVD/CD-ROM. In my current
setup, I have no problem booting from this drive. (In the Adaptec
BIOS, I've included the Pioneer's SCSI ID in the BIOS scan and "BIOS
support for Bootable CD-ROM" has also been enabled. My motherboard, an
MSI 845E Max-L, supports booting from SCSI devices.) I'm thinking of
buying a cheap BIOS-less Tekram DC-305IE as a backup SCSI controller.
Will I still be able to boot from a CD-ROM using the Tekram? IOW, is
SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?

regards, Andy

                                   **********

           The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
                            Take them out to reply.

                                   **********
0
Andrew
10/3/2003 6:37:42 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

"Andrew Aronoff" <XusenetX@XaaronoffX.com> wrote in message news:gfgrnv0hil8e378bhnngap9c9qojiua678@4ax.com...
> I currently have an Adaptec 29160N controller and several SCSI devi-
> ces, one of which is a Pioneer DVD-303S DVD/CD-ROM. In my current
> setup, I have no problem booting from this drive. (In the Adaptec BIOS,
> I've included the Pioneer's SCSI ID in the BIOS scan and "BIOS sup-
> port for Bootable CD-ROM" has also been enabled. My motherboard, an
> MSI 845E Max-L, supports booting from SCSI devices.) I'm thinking of
> buying a cheap BIOS-less Tekram DC-305IE as a backup SCSI controller.

> Will I still be able to boot from a CD-ROM using the Tekram?

No.

> IOW, is  SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?

Yes.

> regards, Andy
>
>                                    **********
>
>            The X's have been added to my email address to thwart spam.
>                             Take them out to reply.

0
Folkert
10/3/2003 7:12:41 PM
Hi, Folkert.

>> IOW, is SCSI BIOS really needed to boot from a CD-ROM?
>
>Yes.

OK, thanks for the info.

regards, Andy