Do DAT drives have a drive letter?

Hi,

I have a client that has a DAT drive and he wants me to help him
backup 2 directories on his server.  He runs Server 2003 and has a DAT
drive installed, but no backup software.  The total amount of data is
about 3 GB.

1) I haven't used a DAT drive much, and I notice that there is no
drive letter when I am in windows explorer. Is that normal?

2) What is the best way to automatically backup these directories?

Thanks for your help!

-Eric in FL

0
eadmati (8)
9/13/2007 2:38:38 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

Most people supporting Windows Server know it has built-in backup.
Devices don't get a drive letter if they are sequential access.

"Prana" <eadmati@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a client that has a DAT drive and he wants me to help him
> backup 2 directories on his server.  He runs Server 2003 and has a DAT
> drive installed, but no backup software.  The total amount of data is
> about 3 GB.
>
> 1) I haven't used a DAT drive much, and I notice that there is no
> drive letter when I am in windows explorer. Is that normal?
>
> 2) What is the best way to automatically backup these directories?

0
Eric
9/13/2007 3:46:53 AM
"Prana" <eadmati@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a client that has a DAT drive and he wants me to help him
> backup 2 directories on his server.  He runs Server 2003 and has a DAT
> drive installed, but no backup software.  The total amount of data is
> about 3 GB.
>
> 1) I haven't used a DAT drive much, and I notice that there is no
> drive letter when I am in windows explorer. Is that normal?
>
> 2) What is the best way to automatically backup these directories?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> -Eric in FL

    If he does not have ntbackup installed, install it from the Server 2003
CD. You could also try searching the Help & Support. If the info is
valuable, buy backup software. Ntbackup is worth its price! (Zero)

    Mike.

0
Michael