How do I replace a drive on a RAID 10 array (Adaptec 2200S)?

Hi,

some time ago, I got an Adaptec 2200S raid controller and four Fujitsu
MAS3367NP hard disk drives (36.7 GB, 15,000 rpm). I created a RAID 10 array
using the controller bios ("Adaptec Array Configuration Utility") and everything
worked fine. In the "ACU", the RAID 10 array consists of two RAID 1 arrays -
#62 (with SCSI-IDs 1 and 3) and #63 (IDs 0 and 2).

A few days ago, the SCSI-ID 0 disk drive failed and my RAID 10 array showed
up as degraded when booting (Following Arrays have missing or rebuilding or
failed members and are degraded: "Array#0-RAID-0", "Array#63-RAID-1").
I rejected the new configuration when asked and had a look in the controller
bios ("ACU"). I did not change anything, did not boot the system, powered off,
bought a new MAS3367NP, set it to the same SCSI-ID 0 and replaced the old
ID 0 disk drive. Now, in the "ACU", my RAID 1 array #63 of course has only one
member and still shows up as degraded.

Because I don't have a backup of the data on the array and 'cause I'm not (yet)
a raid expert, I need to know precisely what steps to take to integrate the ID 0
replacement disk into my existing array #63. Would the following be correct?

- Accept the new configuration when asked
- initialize the ID 0 drive listed
- somehow add the ID 0 drive to the array again
- tell the controller to write the array information back onto the disk - how?

Thanks in advance for your help and for taking the time to read my post.

Best regards,
Lars

0
Lars
11/19/2004 1:02:27 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

10 drive SCSI RAID array
We're in the process of building a new server which is to be ultra-redundant, and there's been speculation on SCSI version, suitable flavors of RAID, replacement processes, and such. I'm hoping that someone here can answer a few quick questions. 1. This system is going to have 10 drives, all of which are going to be Seagate ST318436LW. The LVD drives have an Ultra3-SCSI Wide interface. I can never remember the relationship between the true names and marketing names. Is Ultra3-SCSI Wide the same as Ultra160? If so, this that means that the interface (as opposed to the...

10 drive SCSI RAID array questions
We're in the process of building a new server which is to be ultra-redundant, and there's been speculation on SCSI version, suitable flavors of RAID, replacement processes, and such. I'm hoping that someone here can answer a few quick questions. (Right off the bat, I know that the RAID bits of this post are off-topic, but there appears to be no RAID newsgroup that I can find, or even a good FAQ. In looking through past posts, I also see that I'm not the first person to mention this...) 1. This system is going to have 10 drives, all of which are going to be Seagate ST318436...

Adaptec RAID 2405 degraded RAID 10 array
Hi, since a few days I have some problems with a RAID 10 array on a adaptec RAID 2405 card. I've been using this setup for about 10 months without any problems, but 4 days ago when I turned on my computer I go a message saying that my RAID array was degraded. In windows using adaptec storage manager I saw that the array was been rebuilded. It took 2 or 3 hours and everything was back to normal, the hard drive that had a exclamation point in storage manager looked fine and I don't seem to have lost any data. At this time I thought that it may have been an isolated event maybe du...

8 Drive Raid 10 vs 3 separate Raid Arrays
I am going to put together a dedicated SQL Server and was wondering if I would be better of with having one 8 drive raid 10 array which would include the os, database, and transaction logs or the following configuration: OS: Raid 1 Database: Raid 10 Transaction Logs: Raid 1 The controller will be an Adaptec 39320A-R and the drives will all be Maxtor 18GB 10K U320. Any help is appreciated. Thanks You most definitely do not want the data and logs on the same drives. tM cintreon@universaltelecom.com wrote: > I am going to put together a dedicated SQL Server and w...

Adaptec SCSI Raid array and windows 2000 pro.
Hi, I was hoping that might be able to help me. I was recently given the task of fixing and old dual p2 server where the motherboard died, I fixed this without a problem, but I have now come to situation where I need to reload windows 2000 pro onto the machine to allow iot to boot properly. The system uses an SCSI Raid array made up of 6 drives on a Adaptec AAA-131 or 131U2 (I don't know which) PCI card. The system will see the array to boot by it's self, and can see the array to repar the install (which didn't work), but can't see the array to perform an install. I'm ...

software RAID 5 array keeps dropping replacement drive
Hi all, my server has the RAID 5 array /dev/md1 on /dev/hda3, /dev/hde3 and /dev/hdg2. Recently, hde failed and I switched it out. Since I was in a bit of a hurry, I didn't get around to try to remove it from the array with mdadm first. For some reason my server instantly crashed when I tried adding the new drive (well, partition) with the command 'mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/hde3'. I was running a Debian stock 2.4.27 kernel, and by upgrading to 2.6.12 I got the new partition to synchronize. So far, so good. Now, the raid partition on the new drive has gotten the number 3 in t...

SuSE LINUX 9.1 on Adaptec SCSI RAID Hard Drive
I am trying to install SuSE Linux 9.1 on a machine having an Adaptec SCSI RAID hard drive. Using YaST I get a message saying Partitioning No automatic proposal possible. Specify mout point manually in the 'Partitioner' Dialog. Can sombody please help me out with this problem. Regards Vibhor ...

Adaptec SCSI Raid 2230 SLP
Hi I would like to know if it's possible (better?) to mixed two arrays on the two channels. I have 10 disks and I want two create a Raid 5 (8 disks) and a Raid 0 (2 disks). Can I do that if I connect 4+1 disks on each channel? Or is it better to connect 8 disks (for my Raid 5) on one channel and 2 disks (Raid 0) on the second channel. Thanks FD "Franck Davids" <franck_davids@yahoo.fr> wrote: > Hi > I would like to know if it's possible (better?) to mixed two arrays > on the two channels. If it's technically possible or not -> Manual. > I ha...

Creating a RAID array of RAID arrays
Hi, I've been reading through the documentation about Linux Software RAID, and it seems as though I'm able to create a software RAID array comprising of other software RAID arrays, but I'm unable to get this to work properly. I want to create a RAID array to store my root filesystem, so I need the array to be auto-detected by the kernel. So far I've got this to work by setting the partitions on my physical drives to type 0xFD, and they are detected at boot and the arrays started (say /dev/md0 and /dev/md1) If I then try to create another array made up of those (e.g. create ...

adaptec EZ-SCSI pcmcia to a 68-pin scsi drive?
I have an adaptec EZ-SCSI pcmcia card and I have a drive with a 68 bit connector. Can they be hooked up together? Passively? TIA "unix_fan" <tmellman@web.de> wrote in message news:pan.2006.12.11.15.15.11.964857@web.de > I have an adaptec EZ-SCSI pcmcia card and I have a drive with a 68 bit > connector. > Can they be hooked up together? Sure. > Passively? Depends what you mean by that. You need a connector converter, obviously, but it is a passive one, no electronics. You need to terminate the drive, but it can be a passive terminator. If it's an old...

How to read a Raid 5 scsi drive from a single scsi controller?
I am removing one of the raid 5 hard drive from a server and install it on a single scsi on a work station to see if I can access the data, but when I click on the drive it says: can not read, wanna to format? Any help is appreciated. Thanks It's not in any format easily visible, although you might be able to put the drive on a UNIX system and look at it raw. But even if you could, you aren't likely to be able to see anything useful. In a raid 5 set, the user data and error-correcting parity info is spread out across all the drives in the raid set. In the absence of the other driv...

Replacing SCSI Drives
I have a windows 2003 server computer that has two SCSI drives. C and D. The C drive is full. I want to increase the size of the 36 Gig drive as it is full. I have a program called Acronis disk imaging software that I have used on ata drives to mirror the drives from one to another to increase the size. I have not played around with scsi drives and so dont know much about them. I'm wondering if it is very involved in installing new scsi drives. The scsi card on the computer has 2 cables and each of these has two connectors. Currently drive c and d are on one cable a...

SCSI drive replacement
I have a HP NetServer LH 3000. The current configuration on it contains 12 36 gigabyte SCSI drives divided into 2 arrays with 6 drives on each channel. This weekend I will be replacing all the drives with 72 gigabyte SCSI drives maintaining the same configuration (2 arrays with 6 drives on each channel). I plan on attaching an IDE 250 Gb hard drive to the system (hopefully it will support IDE) and image each channel (using Acronis True Image Server or Symantec Ghost) to the 250 Gb hard drive. I will then replace the 36 Gb drives with the 72 Gb drives and then image from the 250 Gb driv...

Converting the Mac's System Drive into a RAID (OSX 10.4.10)
I managed to replace my dual G5's System drive with a mirrored RAID of higher capacity. It took 96 hours, and three different FireWire external HDs, until I found one that would boot the Mac with the original system HD removed. The approach taken: I cloned my System HD to an exteral FireWire HD with Carbon Copy Cloner. I removed the System HD and tested whether the external cloned drive will indeed boot the Mac. After finding one that did, I installed two new, empty 400 Gig SATA drives into the Mac's case, I set them up as a mirrored RAID with Disk Utility and cloned the con...

replace a raid 5 array
Is there a how to that explains how to replace a raid 5 arrya with a completely new set of disks? I currently have a 3 disks in a RAID5, each disk is 36GB, giving me 72GB of space. I want to replace all three disks with 74GB disks, giving me a new capacity of 148GB; and of course, migrate all the data over. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. Al "Al" <bernala@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1181741632.194564.223900@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Is there a how to that explains how to replace a raid 5 arrya with a > completely new set of disks? I cu...

ML370 RAID drive replacement help!!
Hi, We have a ML370 that has a 5 disk RAID 5 array.. One of the disks has the red light flashing and the event log says the status is "predictive failure".. I have just ordered a new drive which should be here in the next day or so.. Now for the question.. What is the procedure for replacing the drive? The new one is exactly the same as the old one.. Can I simply pull the old one and insert the new one or should I shutdown the server and swap the drives when the server is off? Will it automatically rebuild or do I have to tell it there is a new drive? Reall...

Movign SCSI RAID array between servers
Hi Hopefully an easy question for you experts to answer! I have a Windows Server 2003 with an external SCSI RAID 5 disk array which is set up with several logical drives and alot of data in each logical drive. The bootable drive (C:\) is local to the server and not part of the external SCSI RAID disks. I'm planning on replacing the server but want to keep the SCSI disks and the data on them. I have a new server, with Windows Server 2003 installed on it, again with the local drives as the bootable drive and want to know if i can simply install my Adaptec SCSI card into the new server a...

How do I create a RAID 10 array on a DS4300?
How do I create a RAID 10 array on a DS4300? The specification says that this is a supported RAID level - but I can only find options to create RAID levels 0,1,3 and 5. Many Thanks, =Adrian= "Adrian Davis" <adrian@satisoft.com> wrote in message news:1140436120.522998.30450@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > How do I create a RAID 10 array on a DS4300? The specification says > that this is a supported RAID level - but I can only find options to > create RAID levels 0,1,3 and 5. The RAID1 option actually gives you RAID10 if you have more than 2 drives in the arr...

Solaris 10 & Adaptec RAID
Any chance Solaris 10 will support my Adaptec 3400S RAID controller? I got it dead for free, and after replacing a handful of SMT components some klutz had knocked off the board, it works perfectly. I used it to build a home file server, but would like to migrate from Linux to Solaris if possible. TIA Triffid Triffid wrote: > Any chance Solaris 10 will support my Adaptec 3400S RAID controller? Anyone? Is there a better place to ask? TIA Triffid > I got it dead for free, and after replacing a handful of SMT components > some klutz had knocked off the board, it works perf...

Replacing A Failed RAID 1 Drive
I'm running Windows 2000 Server. The boot drive, C:, consists of a pair of 20GB hard drives in a RAID 1 mirror. Disk 0 failed last week, preventing the server from booting. I reconfigured the HDD jumpers so that Disk 1 became Disk 0 and vice versa. I restarted the server successfully. I tried to reactivate and resynchronize the failed drive, unsuccessfully. I purchase a pair of Western Digital WD1600JB 160GB drives and plan to replace both 20s with the 160s. I've searched everywhere for procedures, but I find conflicting information. A lot of the information suggests tha...

FS: CDRW/DVD Drives, SCSI/IDE Hard Drives, & SCSI Controllers
NOTE: I can meet with you if you're in the Austin area; otherwise, shipping & handling will cost a flat rate of $10.00 for UPS Ground. CDRW DRIVE: HP 2X/6X CDRW IDE Drive Model #: C4380-45000. Asking $5.00 To see a pic of the drive: http://www.ccci.net/ForSale/HP_CDRW.JPG (Sorry, not the greatest photo I've taken!) DVD DRIVE: Pioneer 10X DVD IDE Drive Model #: DVD-104S. Asking $20.00 Here's the same drive on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3754&item=5141741393&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW To see a pic of the drive: http://ww...

md raid-10 array not fully starting
Hello, I built a RAID-10 array via mdadm, but it is not starting up automatically at boot. The RAID-10 array is /dev/md3, and is comprised of /dev/md1 and /dev/ md2. When the system boots, /dev/md1 and /dev/md2 are started automatically, however /dev/md3 never starts. I must manually run 'mdadm -A /dev/md3'. Obviously the partition types are set to 'fd' as /dev/md1 and /dev/md2 are starting automatically, and I generated a valid mdadm.conf with 'mdadm --detail --scan > /etc/mdadm.conf'. What am I missing here? Todd ...

Replacing SCSI Hard Drive on Indy 5000
Hi, I have an Indy 5000 and the scsi hard drive died. I put in a SCSI hard drive with the same size but this hard drive is formatted in DOS. When I try to install IRIX through an attached CD Rom, it finds the drive but it gives me a message that there is no valid swap partition. Is there a way to boot from the CD and partition this drive? Also, is there a limitation to drive size? If I put in a Seagate Hawk 4 GB SCSI, seems it does not find it. I checked the termination, it looks as per the manual. Thanks, RdR RdR wrote: > Hi, > I have an Indy 5000 and the scsi hard drive died. I put in a SCSI hard drive > with the same size but this hard drive is formatted in DOS. When I try to > install IRIX through an attached CD Rom, it finds the drive but it gives me > a message that there is no valid swap partition. Is there a way to boot from > the CD and partition this drive? You have to start fx.ARCS <http://futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html> <http://software.majix.org/irix/install-bootcd.shtml> > Also, is there a limitation to drive size? If I put in a Seagate Hawk 4 GB > SCSI, seems it does not find it. I checked the termination, it looks as per > the manual. My Indy 4400 has a 8GB HD and next I'll try a Seagate Cheetah with 18GB. The disk should have ID=1 (ID=0 is the controller) Toni I believe there is a limit to the size of HD in an Indy, dictated by the controller IC probably, but I think it's way ...

Raid 5 or Raid 10?
DB2 LUW v8.2 FP 14 RHAS 2.1 Not trying to start a flame war or anything, but does anyone have an opinion regarding whether to use Raid 5 or Raid 10 w/ DB2? We have an EMC SAN (a Clariion CX600 I believe). My SysAdmin and I are discussing which raid type to use. Several years ago during my Informix DBA days, Art Kagel and other well-informed folks on C.D.I. would occasionally point out how raid 5 w/ database is a BAD idea, and how raid 10 should always be used. With SAN advances (cache, memory, speed, etc..), does this still apply? My SysAdmin thinks Raid 5 is a better way to go. All of my tablespace containers are DMS (typically 2 gigabytes each), except for temp space, which are SMS. TIA aj On Apr 16, 8:54 am, aj <ron...@mcdonalds.com> wrote: > DB2 LUW v8.2 FP 14 RHAS 2.1 > > Not trying to start a flame war or anything, but does anyone have an > opinion regarding whether to use Raid 5 or Raid 10 w/ DB2? > > We have an EMC SAN (a Clariion CX600 I believe). My SysAdmin and I > are discussing which raid type to use. Several years ago during my > Informix DBA days, Art Kagel and other well-informed folks on C.D.I. > would occasionally point out how raid 5 w/ database is a BAD idea, and > how raid 10 should always be used. > > With SAN advances (cache, memory, speed, etc..), does this still apply? > My SysAdmin thinks Raid 5 is a better way to go. > > All of my tablespace conta...

Web resources about - How do I replace a drive on a RAID 10 array (Adaptec 2200S)? - comp.periphs.scsi

File:Replace this image male.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
to an image (e.g. you photographed or drew it yourself) and would like Wikipedia to use it, you must release it under a free copyright license ...

Facebook Replaces Payments Emails With API
Facebook announced that it is scrapping the emails that it sends to developers containing information about payments , replacing it with a payments ...

Facebook’s New Ads Power Editor Replaces the Bulk Uploader with a Streamlined GUI
This week, Facebook launched its new Ads Power Editor desktop software for buyers who work directly with a Facebook ads representatives. The ...

Face Morph HD - Change and Replace Head in Pic Frame Hole with Pencil Portrait Effects! on the App Store ...
Get Face Morph HD - Change and Replace Head in Pic Frame Hole with Pencil Portrait Effects! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and ...

NASA just chose SpaceX to replace the Shuttle for flying astronauts
jurvetson posted a photo: Elon's design goal = "the safest, most advanced crew vehicle ever flown.” With seats for seven . First manned flight ...

How to replace Roland Juno 106 Voice Chip 80017A 1 of 2 - YouTube
Own a Juno 106? You might encounter a dying voice chip. In this 2 part vid series I explain how to fix this problem. Don't be afraid its really ...

Ministry of Labour replaces plastic cards with e-cards - The National
... printed out and accessed by employers and employees, and documents will be linked to Emirates ID. Those already employed will not have to replace ...

Change of the Day: Canadian Town Wants to Replace Its ‘Land of Rape & Honey’ Motto
The town of Tisdale in Saskatchewan has had a very unfortunate slogan for the past 60 years, and they’re finally looking for a new one. Visitors ...

ASI helps Cloud wholesaler replace Cisco hardware with Brocade rentals
ARNnet ASI helps Cloud wholesaler replace Cisco hardware with Brocade rentals ARNnet Cloud Plus is transitioning from Cisco to Brocade hardware ...

Notable names floated to replace Georgie Gardner on Today
Two names have raised eyebrows within television circles as Channel Nine prepares to announce a replacement newsreader on its breakfast television ...