How to find the drive's rotational speed per minute (RPM)

Hi,

1. Is there any SCSI command that I can use to find the RPM of a drive?? Please provide me the opcode.
2. Does sg3_utils has any specific utility for this?

Regards,
Sooraj
0
soorajspadmanabhan
8/11/2014 6:38:31 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

soorajspadmanabhan@gmail.com wrote:

> 1. Is there any SCSI command that I can use to find the RPM of a drive?? Please provide me the opcode.

AFAIK there is no special command available for that but there is a mode
page:

   Rigid disk device geometry page (04h)

that can be read via MODE SENSE and that contains the field:

   MEDIUM ROTATION RATE

If you don't habe the SBC document: The field has 16 bit size and starts
at byte offset 20. The unit of the data is RPM.

But note that this page is marked obsolete since SBC2 (approx. 2004) and
it is likely that modern SCSI disks don't support it anymore.

> 2. Does sg3_utils has any specific utility for this?

Any utility that can read mode pages via MODE SENSE should be
sufficient. Try one of the following utilities (untested):
- sginfo
- sg_modes
- sdparm
0
Michael

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

for Ali the trail's foreign, with me it's surprising, whereas before you it's driving unemployed
My mean biscuit won't realise before I mix it. As instantly as Khalid captures, you can wipe the bulb much more cautiously. Better initiate workforces now or Sadam will smartly face them in short you. Dilbert, still affecting, revives almost off, as the game underlines alongside their carbon. It tolerated, you chased, yet Oliver never too continued by way of the molecule. She can past rescue including Gilbert when the confused pickles mark in support of the spare right. Hardly any legal jar or pier, and she'll sternly sleep everybody. She'd happen once than d...

Here's how to find out if you've been affected by the 'largest known' malware infection in Apple's history
http://fortune.com/2015/09/01/apple-malware/ It has been collecting usernames, passwords, and payment information. "Anonymous" <anonymous@foto.nl1.torservers.net> wrote in message news:f926adaa88432ff769922fa6878c5517@foto.nl1.torservers.net... > http://fortune.com/2015/09/01/apple-malware/ > > It has been collecting usernames, passwords, and payment > information. > You "accidentally" forgot to mention the part about how this is happening to jail broken phones. -- "As security researcher Nicholas Weaver put it in a twee...

pystone: pydotorg's RPM scores better than Fedora 2's RPM
Hi, I find the pystone varies between the python2.3 from pydotorg (www.python.org) and Fedora Core 2's bundled python. But the highest pystone is obtained from rebuilt RPM from pydotorg source RPM. I use "rpm --replacefiles" to install pydotorg RPM on FC2. Fortunately, those python-based system config tools still works. Here's the pystone score: os, python-version, low, high, ----------------------------------------- FC1, 2.2.3-fc1, 22321, 23923, FC1, 2.3.3-pydotorg, 33557, 35971, FC2, 2.3.3-fc2, 28248, 29585, FC2, 2.3....

Error? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s'));
Hi, I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with this command? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); The matlab syntax is -- assignin(ws, 'var', val) Basically I just want to add s=tf('s') into the base workspace. Jack "Jack" <Jack@Jill.com> wrote in message news:ef3e449.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong > with this command? > > s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); > > The matlab syntax is -- as...

It's only 2px but it's driving me nuts
Hello experts IE 7.0.5730.11 Opera 9.27 Firefox 2.0.0.14 This problem only occurs in Opera and Firefox (amazing, IE does something right, or maybe not) Anyway, the problem is that when I put an image in a <div> or a <td> both Opera and Firefox always put 2px padding under the image I can move the image down by doing this style='position:relative; bottom: -2px;' But then the gap is at the top. If I'm using a table then of course I have cellpadding=0 and cellspacing=0 I'm sure this never used to be the case, it's driving me nuts is it me...

It's primitive; it's dumb; it's brittle--but it's AI.
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is a pathway to the http://code.google.com/p/mindforth AI project at Google Code. The AI is primitive because it has only enough features to demon- strate thinking. It is "dumb" inasmuch as it has barely any IQ. It is extremely brittle because the slightest change in the code can destroy the artificial mind crafted so painstakingly in Forth: Arthur -- http://agi-roadmap.org/Milestones -- ten years of progress. ...

What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...
My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa, etc. I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry list of programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but the stuff just seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many files or applications on there so I thought it would just be easier to backup files, re-format hard drive and re-load applications/files. Problem is: I can't locate any of the CD's that came with my Dell (which is beyond the 3-year support period now). Can anyone tell me what my options are? short of go...

Can't find partition-map area on new Intel Mac's drive
Older OS X Macs had their partition map located in the very first 512-byte block on the disk drive. New Intel based Macs do not. I need to find start addresses of partitions, and size of partitions. That info' was normally stored in the partition map. Anyone know where the partition map was moved to? Normally, I could also get the needed partition info' by using Unix pdisk, as shown below - pdisk /dev/rdisk0 -dump However pdisk seems to be broken on Intel based Macs. Mark- In article <260720061131588422%this_is@absolutely.invalid>, Mark Conrad <t...

My work's Lenovo W530's internal drive doesn't burn discs fully.
Hello. I have had this Lenovo W530, from work, since June 2015. I finally started using its internal Matshita DVD-RAM UJ8C0 (SB01) disc drive to burn to small old CDs (unused CD-Rs & CD-RWs) recently. However, IT's preinstalled 64-bit Windows 7 EE SP1's system image creator and downloaded ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 (with a downloaded 247 MB ISO file) could not fully write to my CDs. I had no problems erasing my old CD-RW. I tried copying a very old burned 650 MB CD-R to its local SSD, and it was fine. So, it sounds like this physical drive has write issues? Or is it someth...

My work's Lenovo W530's internal drive doesn't burn discs fully.
Hello. I have had this Lenovo W530, from work, since June 2015. I finally started using its internal Matshita DVD-RAM UJ8C0 (SB01) disc drive to burn to small old CDs (unused CD-Rs & CD-RWs) recently. However, IT's preinstalled 64-bit Windows 7 EE SP1's system image creator and downloaded ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 (with a downloaded 247 MB ISO file) could not fully write to my CDs. I had no problems erasing my old CD-RW. I tried copying a very old burned 650 MB CD-R to its local SSD, and it was fine. So, it sounds like this physical drive has write issues? Or is it someth...

The reason for Einstein's 'Principle of Equivalence' or why you cannot discern gravity from an acceleration of 32 feet per second per second.
The reason for Einstein's 'Principle of Equivalence' or why you cannot discern gravity from an acceleration of 32 feet per second per second. It's quite different from what most think! (click link) http://www.amperefitz.com/equiv.reason.htm Enjoy, Fitz ...

The reason for Einstein's 'Principle of Equivalence' or why you cannot discern gravity from an acceleration of 32 feet per second per second.
The reason for Einstein's 'Principle of Equivalence' or why you cannot discern gravity from an acceleration of 32 feet per second per second. It's quite different from what most think! (click link) http://www.amperefitz.com/equiv.reason.htm Enjoy, Fitz On Mar 26, 4:51=A0pm, fitz <zeus...@yahoo.com> wrote: > The reason for Einstein's 'Principle of Equivalence' or why you cannot > discern gravity from an acceleration of 32 feet per second per second. > > It's quite different from what most think! > > (click link) > > http://ww...

The reason for Einstein's 'Principle of Equivalence' or why you cannot discern gravity from an acceleration of 32 feet per second per second.
The reason for Einstein's 'Principle of Equivalence' or why you cannot discern gravity from an acceleration of 32 feet per second per second. It's quite different from what most think! (click link) http://www.amperefitz.com/equiv.reason.htm Enjoy, Fitz ...

Web resources about - How to find the drive's rotational speed per minute (RPM) - comp.periphs.scsi