Howto connect two computer and some hard disks with fibre channel

Hello,
I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.

I will have in the following days these things:

- two lsi logic HBA
- two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
- two cables hssdc/db9
- two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter

I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks and network.

I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.

I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer on the terminator connector.

So please tell me if:

- I have made some mistake
- if I need the terminator
- how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator

Thank you very much in advance!
0
Mario
10/28/2003 5:21:12 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2471 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

You failed to indicate what OS these machines are running.
In general, two machines do not share a given drive very well, unless they
are within a cluster.

For MS clustering, only one host accesses any given drive at a time.

You CAN connect all hosts to all drives IF your HBA's have built in lun
masking -- that is, the ability to hide fibre devices from the OS.  That
way, there is no chance for one host to overwrite or corrupt the data
managed by another host.

"Mario Giammarco" <mgiammarco@nonspam.monrif.net> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.
>
> I will have in the following days these things:
>
> - two lsi logic HBA
> - two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
> - two cables hssdc/db9
> - two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter
>
> I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks
and network.

> I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.
>
> I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer
on the terminator connector.

> So please tell me if:
>
> - I have made some mistake
> - if I need the terminator
> - how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

0
Kurt

Question about Connecting to Linksys Routers
Hi is that Apple "AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11b/g)" technology compatable with regualr linksys routers, i have a wireless network in my home now but they have all PC based systems on it now, will adding a MAC Work with this router and will it effect the preformece of the other PC's? Carmine Carmine782 <carmine782@hotmail.com> wrote: > will adding a MAC Work with this router Yes > and will it effect the preformece of the other PC's? No -- Les gens sans humour manquent de s�rieux. If you use a WEP code in Windows network, I found th...

Ubuntu/mutt HOWTO as promised
I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and its version of mutt there is a link off of the site in my signature for how I got it configured to work, the meat of the solution came on the mailingh list when someone said I had to include double quotes around the smtp_url variable thanks for all the help here and on the mailing list from all the honorable gurus -- (my whereabouts below) http://www.dalekelly.org ...

integrating two pchip's
How do I multiply the results of two splines. My data is fluorescence spectra and filter transmnission spectra and I want to obtain the net fluorescence passing thru' the filters. pp1 = pchip(x1,y1); = fluorescence data pp2 = pchip(x2,y2); = filter data I want to create pp1 * pp2 and then integrate? Is this the best way, and if so, how to do it? thanks "Jason " <Jbryant@illumina.com> wrote in message <frtqh9$5cv$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > How do I multiply the results of two splines. > > My data is fluorescence spectra and ...

Connectivity -> Mark Net option in VLE
When we use the connectivity->markNet option to highlight a particular net, it always propagates through the source and drain of the transistors, and hangs for a long time and then highlights all nets in the layout. I think this problem is due to the fact that this particular option takes the connectivity information from techfile, where DIFFUSION layer is defined to be connected via CONTACT. But the POLY in between source and drain does not stop connectivity propagation. Is there a way to tell VLE to take DIFFUSION as =(DIFFUSION not common to POLY ), and then do the connectivity ...

[News] Linux Chosen for Two-chip Single-board Computer
Compact SBC runs Linux on two-chip x86 chipset ,----[ Quote ] | Acrosser Technology is shipping a 3.5-inch SBC (single-board | computer) powered by a two-chip Via chipset. The AR-B1652 | is available with 533MHz or 800MHz "Mark" Corefusion | processors, and runs a 2.4 Linux kernel. It targets | low-power, low-noise applications, including kiosks, | automation, and POS (point-of-sales/service). `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6276283962.html ...

FA: A3640, SAS C/C++ 6.5, OS 3.1, keyboard A4000, VGA adapter, Amiga Vision, Amiga Magazin, floppy disks
Hi! I have some items up for auction on ebay now: A3640 turbocard for amiga 3000/4000 with Motorola 68040 SAS C/C++ development system version 6.5 (latest version) OS 3.1 complete in box keyboard for A4000 (mint, nearly unused) VGA adapter Amiga Vision software package Amiga Magazin complete year 1989 in top condition huge lot of floppy disks http://shop.ebay.de/cph_ao/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1 -- Ciao Christian Christian Hoppe schrieb: > Hi! > > I have some items up for auction on ebay now: > > A3640 turb...

every 2 minutes: localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA-v4
Hi, exactly(!) every two minutes I see the following line in my mail.log: Mar 29 23:58:20 server sm-mta[21131]: s2TMwKlp021131: localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA-v4 I see this on three brand new installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS hosts. Any idea? Running 8.14.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS: sendmail 8.14.4-2ubuntu2.1 sendmail-base 8.14.4-2ubuntu2.1 sendmail-bin 8.14.4-2ubuntu2.1 sendmail-cf 8.14.4-2ubuntu2.1 Ciao! Am Sat, 29 Mar 2014 23:13:50 +0000 schrieb Marcus Schopen: > Hi, > > exactly(!) every two minutes I see the follow...

Connect remotely to lft0
Hi ! I have a problem with AIX 5.2 with connecting to server via Telnet. I have to start a backup script which usually runs on lft0. So when I log on via telnet and start the script, the script stops after I disconnect. Is there a way to connect via Telnet on lft0 ? Or to connect to pts but then connect to the session of the user that is logged on the console so i can run the backup script ? I tried running su user -c "command", the user is logged on the lft0 console but I doesn't work ... Thanks in advance ! -- Pozdrav Revenger 25.01.2007 09:21:43 Jednom su proizveli Chuck ...

Any connection?
www.theinquirer.net/?article=32368 and www.techtickerblog.com/2006/06/11/solo-computer-runs-on-85-watts-of-power/ Apart from an order of magnitude typo in the second URL, this looks to have a lot in common with the A9. Perhaps it should be called the A419 ;-) -- Dave Dave Barnett <harddave@davebarnett.me.uk> wrote: > www.theinquirer.net/?article=32368 and > www.techtickerblog.com/2006/06/11/solo-computer-runs-on-85-watts-of-power/ > > Apart from an order of magnitude typo in the second URL, this looks to > have a lot in common with the A9. > > Perhaps it s...

FS: MAKE Your OWN Puppet Show Computer Software #3
Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=puppet&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=seals4-deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/seals4-Deals...

share data between two tomcat contexts?
Hi, I want to share some data between two tomcat applications running on the same server. There are a lot of suggestions proposing to set crossContext="true" in the corresponding context elements in the server.xml. However, I do not have access to tomcat's server.xml. I only can modify the war/WEB-INF/web.xml of my GWT app, which is the <web-app> element. Are there any solutions? Thank you Laura On 5/16/2014 4:32 PM, Laura Schmidt wrote: > > Are there any solutions? I'd have to guess "no." Tomcat (how do you know it's ...

How to Add two lines using DCL on open VMS reading one line from one file and second from another file.
Hi All, Can some one please guide me how can i do this using DCL. Problem: We are having two file named Dire.txt Total of 39 files, 61673 blocks. Total of 50 files, 4555 blocks. Second File is size.txt Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[000000] Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[mandeep] We want output in one file like. Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[000000] size of directory will be "Total of 39 files, 61673 blocks". ...... mandeepsangwan1@gmail.com wrote 2014-10-19 12:26: > Hi All, > > Can some one please guide me how can i do this using DCL. > > Problem: We...

US-TX-Austin: RN, ICU, 3-5 experience in ICU, clinical nursing and computer skil (45356732401)
US-TX-Austin: RN, ICU, 3-5 experience in ICU, clinical nursing and computer skil (45356732401) ============================================================================================== Position: RN, ICU Reference: CAM00027 Location: Austin TX Duration: PERM Skills: 3-5 experience in ICU, clinical nursing and computer skills. RN with certification in TX, BLS and credentials in area of concentration. Scope: The staff nurse will be under the direction of the Nurse Manager and Supervisor of the Nursing Unit....

Is there a mistake here ? from http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-7.html
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-7.html # Allow Web connections to outside Web Servers /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -b -P tcp -S 192.1.2.* 80 -D 0.0.0.0/0 1024:65535 # Allow DNS traffic /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -b -P udp -S 0.0.0.0/0 53 -D 192.1.2.0/24 is there a mistake in line 2 ? should that not be /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -b -P tcp -S 192.1.2.* 1024:65535 -D 0.0.0.0/0 80 On 17 May 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article <1179394415.998006.25500@q23g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, navti wrote: >http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-7.html 5.1. ...

Call for Papers Reminder (extended): International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS 2014)
Call for Papers Reminder (extended): International MultiConference of Engin= eers and Computer Scientists (IMECS 2014) Draft Manuscript submission deadline (extended): 23 December, 2013 =20 Camera-Ready papers & registration deadline: 10 January, 2014 IMECS 2014: Hong Kong, 12-14 March, 2014 http://www.iaeng.org/IMECS2014 The IMECS 2014 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (= IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the co= mputer scientists. The conference has the focus on the frontier topics in t= he theoretical and applied ...

Question: External USB Hard Drive
Please help: I discarded an older 7248-100 RS6000 but kept the hard drive. The hard drive contains AIX 4.1 or 4.2, and has old source code (written by me) that might come in handy for a future project. The problem is the 7248 RS6000 used Pata IDE hard drives. In my case, the hard drive is a 4.3 GIG Pata Hard drive ( formatted with JFS/LVM). Since my current pseries 9111-520 uses SCSI, I decided to put the AIX 4 4.3 Gig IDE hard drive into an external USB case in an attempt to mount and copy my data. However, I am unable to mount it or find any new physical volumes. Yes, I even use...

non-English characters cause connection drop
Hello, I have a firewire drive hooked up to my Mac G4 running OS 10.2.8. I am sharing that drive using NFS. I am mounting that drive on my FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p5 machine. Whenever I try to send a file with foreign characters, such as u-umlaut, u-grave, or whatever, the connection drops and the FreeBSD kernel hangs any furthur disk operation (such as df). any ideas on what might be causing this issue? Thanks For the client hanging problem, you can get around it by mounting with the "soft,intr" options. But this unfortunately violates the normal NFS assumption. S...

How can I link two spinboxes to set a range?
Hi, I'm trying to use a couple of spin boxes in an application, with one setting a minimum value (min), and the other a maximum (max). That is easy with something like: set LowestMin 4 set HighestMinimum 20 set min 6 set LowestMaximum 6 set HighestMaximum 60 set max 12 spinbox $movenumbers.maxmove -from $LowestMaximum -to $HighestMaximum -increment 1 -textvariable max spinbox $movenumbers.minmove -from $LowestMin -to $HighestMinimum -increment 1 -textvariable min The problem is, I need to ensure that at all times, max >= min. If the user tries...

Slow network connection
My NIC has become very slow. Downloads take forever I have another machine with the same NIC (Netgear FA311) and it surfs and downloads much faster. I have Windows XP on both. Can anyone help me? XP is an operating system which has many many bugs which afetr sometime make the systems very slow. So you must delete your temperory file reqularly. Also you must insure that your network adapter is configured for full-duplex communication jaymaynard@hotmail.com (edonchow) wrote in message news:<5e2fd17f.0402102328.69887c80@posting.google.com>... > My NIC has become very slow. Dow...

[CFP] SAC'09 Human Computer Interaction Track #2
*** Human Computer Interaction Track *** at The 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2009) Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, March 8 - 12, 2009 http://www.acm.org/conferences/sac/sac2009/ CALL FOR PAPERS http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~shliu/SAC09-HCI This is the first year that ACM SAC includes a Human Computer Interaction track. We encourage original, unpublished and novel papers in this track. Human Computer Interaction (HCI) is the interdisciplinary study of the design, development, and evaluation of user interfaces. On the user side, communications, graphi...

Connecting to PC via crossover cable
Hi folks, Will things work OK connecting a PC (XP) to RiscPC via a crossover cable if the PC is (presumably) 100Mbit and the RiscPC is 10Mbit (combo card)? regards, -- Robert Greenfield In article <fde15053.0411030001.29aceb9f@posting.google.com>, Robert Greenfield <URL:mailto:monster@caverock.net.nz> wrote: > Hi folks, > > Will things work OK connecting a PC (XP) to RiscPC via a crossover > cable if the PC is (presumably) 100Mbit and the RiscPC is 10Mbit > (combo card)? > Yes, as long as the PC is on before the RiscPC; the combo card will ...

Re: N4000/Fibre Channel #6
--- "Paul, Guy (San/Storage Delivery)" <guy.paul@hp.com> wrote: > I would not install a A6795A HBA into slots 1 or 2 for the reason you > mentioned. > Slots 3-12 are the twin-turbo (4x) slots you should use. isn't there something about not installing fc cards in odd (or is it even?) numbered slots? some nasty bug....? - d ===== Donna Garverick Sr. System Programmer dgarverick -at- longs -dot- com 925-210-6631 Longs Drug Stores Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world. Tho' much is taken, much abides; an...

swing html connection

DVD burner for slow computer
I have a Celeron 300MHz processor; 256 MB ram and a 40GB hard drive and want to purchase a DVD burner (either a + or combination) and can't seem to find one that will run on this slow of a processor. Any ideas? Your processor is too slow to process realtime DVD speed data and video. -- DaveW "Dan T." <trexmon@verizon.net> wrote in message news:815c131d.0311301145.7036aee1@posting.google.com... > I have a Celeron 300MHz processor; 256 MB ram and a 40GB hard drive > and want to purchase a DVD burner (either a + or combination) and > can't seem to find one t...

vnc connection
I have been trying (mainly as an experiment, but because I later want to connect to a remote machine) setting up a VNC connection between two computers on a wired local network. Vine Server (on a Powerbook) and Chicken of the VNC (on an Intel machine), both running Tiger, were the server and client. I don't seem to be able to make a connection, either from Chicken to Vine Server, or by a reverse connection from Vine Server with Chicken listening in. Chicken can see the Powerbook in its list of servers. I thought it might be a firewall issue, so turned off the firewall on both machines...