Howto connect two computer and some hard disks with fibre channel

Hello,
I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.

I will have in the following days these things:

- two lsi logic HBA
- two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
- two cables hssdc/db9
- two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter

I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks and network.

I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.

I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer on the terminator connector.

So please tell me if:

- I have made some mistake
- if I need the terminator
- how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator

Thank you very much in advance!
0
Mario
10/28/2003 5:21:12 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

You failed to indicate what OS these machines are running.
In general, two machines do not share a given drive very well, unless they
are within a cluster.

For MS clustering, only one host accesses any given drive at a time.

You CAN connect all hosts to all drives IF your HBA's have built in lun
masking -- that is, the ability to hide fibre devices from the OS.  That
way, there is no chance for one host to overwrite or corrupt the data
managed by another host.

"Mario Giammarco" <mgiammarco@nonspam.monrif.net> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.
>
> I will have in the following days these things:
>
> - two lsi logic HBA
> - two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
> - two cables hssdc/db9
> - two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter
>
> I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks
and network.

> I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.
>
> I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer
on the terminator connector.

> So please tell me if:
>
> - I have made some mistake
> - if I need the terminator
> - how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

0
Kurt