Howto connect two computer and some hard disks with fibre channel

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello,
I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.

I will have in the following days these things:

- two lsi logic HBA
- two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
- two cables hssdc/db9
- two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter

I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks and network.

I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.

I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer on the terminator connector.

So please tell me if:

- I have made some mistake
- if I need the terminator
- how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator

Thank you very much in advance!
0
Reply Mario 10/28/2003 5:21:12 PM

See related articles to this posting

You failed to indicate what OS these machines are running.
In general, two machines do not share a given drive very well, unless they
are within a cluster.

For MS clustering, only one host accesses any given drive at a time.

You CAN connect all hosts to all drives IF your HBA's have built in lun
masking -- that is, the ability to hide fibre devices from the OS.  That
way, there is no chance for one host to overwrite or corrupt the data
managed by another host.

"Mario Giammarco" <mgiammarco@nonspam.monrif.net> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.
>
> I will have in the following days these things:
>
> - two lsi logic HBA
> - two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
> - two cables hssdc/db9
> - two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter
>
> I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks
and network.

> I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.
>
> I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer
on the terminator connector.

> So please tell me if:
>
> - I have made some mistake
> - if I need the terminator
> - how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

0
Reply Kurt 11/3/2003 6:17:47 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2471 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to Connect Two Fibre Channel Initiators
If you want to connect two fibre channel initiators together and have them exchange information over fibre channel, does this require you to use a switch between them? I'm used to connecting initiators to targets, and I've never had to deal with connecting two initiators. I'm not clear on whether the fibre channel model has a way to accomodate two directly attached initiators so that they can synch lock to each other. My application is IBM FICON, but that is close enough to fibre channel that I'm asking the question in terms of fibre channel since many more people ...

SN#20584 450GB 15,000K rpm Fibre Channel Hard Disk Drives
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 127 Issue 3 2008-09-15 Article 20584 from section "Sun Disk" For the Sun StorageTek 6140 & 6540 arrays Better performance, lower cost: New drives for Sun StorageTek 6140 and 6540 arrays Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=20584 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe Free 4-week trial is available. (...

SN#20272 1TB 7200RPM Low Cost Fibre Channel Hard Disk Drive
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 125 Issue 2 2008-07-07 Article 20272 from section "Storage" Low Cost Efficiency Where It Is Needed When Archiving Now available from Sun is a 1TB 7200 RPM Fibre Channel Hard Disk Drive (HDD) priced lower than expected. It is compatible with the StorageTek ST9990V and ST9985V storage systems. The new Fiber Channel HDD can be applied to your system to add capacity for applications requiring optimized reads for large files. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=20272 Have a custom version of 'Syste...

How do i connect two matlab programs on two different computers
hello, My objective is to connect two matlab programs on different computers and pass a string between the two. I have been looking into tcpip command in the instrument control toolbox, but after i create the object, I am unable to open the connection between the two. The error that occurs is : ??? Error using ==> fopen Operation timed out: connect. Please let me know about the correct procedure to achieve the above objective. thanks for the help Regards, shashikiran prabhakar "shashikiran prabhakar" <shashikiranp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eef4710.-1@webx.raydaf...

Reliability of fibre channel disks vs. SCSI disks?
I've been told, but find it hard to believe, that fibre channel disks are quite a bit more reliable than SCSI disks. My own limited experience with fibre channel disks is that they fail at a similar rate to SCSI disks. In the past I've used arrays that contain SCSI disks. At my new job we use mostly fibre channel. They seem to me to fail at a similar rate, but the sys admin I work with is convinced that SCSI disks fail more frequently given like circumstances ("all other things being equal"). And aren't all current fibre channel disks really SCSI disks ...

Connecting two networks together by having two network cards in the same computer
Hi, I recently aquired two 100Mbs cards and I am trying to incorporate them in my existing network at home. My old network looks as follows: 10Mbs 10Mbs Mountainman ------------- Surfrat -------- Win XP Win 98SE | 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 | 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0 | | |---------------------------------------------| | | 10Mbs |- Jukebox ---------------- J...

connecting two sco unix 5.0.5 computers through dialup connection
I have the following doubts can any one clear these ? 1.connecting two sco unix 5.0.5 computers through dialup connection ( using modem- like telnet connection not cu connection) 2.how to transfer files between computers ( take & put is not working for large files ) in simple methods (is it possible to use ftp over the above connection)? 3.i have read a lot of about UUCP ( installation and others ) but no where I found 'how to use it"? Please give me a step by step method ( at least Question 1 & 2 ) 3. If I am changing the os to linux which one is the best ( most similar...

Connecting a USB hub and my laptop computer to my 2 two computer DSL network
Hi - I am hoping someone can help me. I have been struggling for 2 weeks trying to figure this out with not success. My wife and I both have desk top computers which are located about 12 feet apart. We have one DSL line which is attached to her computer via a modem. I share that DSL line with a hard wire to my computer. We can both be on our computers at the same time. I need more USB ports for my computer so I bought a USB hub with four ports. I have not been successful in getting that hub connected to my computer. The one available USB port on my computer is a Type A. However, ...

any connection for two computers
I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also. What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe. Thanks. [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking and a copy was sent to the cited author.] In article <bl2bi4$820$1@bob.news.rcn.net>, cljlk@hotmail.com says... > I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also. > What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard > disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe. ...