Howto connect two computer and some hard disks with fibre channel

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello,
I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.

I will have in the following days these things:

- two lsi logic HBA
- two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
- two cables hssdc/db9
- two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter

I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks and network.

I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.

I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer on the terminator connector.

So please tell me if:

- I have made some mistake
- if I need the terminator
- how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator

Thank you very much in advance!
0
Reply Mario 10/28/2003 5:21:12 PM

See related articles to this posting

You failed to indicate what OS these machines are running.
In general, two machines do not share a given drive very well, unless they
are within a cluster.

For MS clustering, only one host accesses any given drive at a time.

You CAN connect all hosts to all drives IF your HBA's have built in lun
masking -- that is, the ability to hide fibre devices from the OS.  That
way, there is no chance for one host to overwrite or corrupt the data
managed by another host.

"Mario Giammarco" <mgiammarco@nonspam.monrif.net> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I am building my first "fibre channel at home" setup.
>
> I will have in the following days these things:
>
> - two lsi logic HBA
> - two seagate 18g 15000rpm hard disk
> - two cables hssdc/db9
> - two CSC SCA 40 Pin to DB-9 Fibre Channel Adapter
>
> I would like to link all together to make two computers share hard disks
and network.

> I suppose I need also a db9-db9 cable to link two hard disks.
>
> I do not know if I need a terminator or if I can put the second computer
on the terminator connector.

> So please tell me if:
>
> - I have made some mistake
> - if I need the terminator
> - how can I build myself DB9 to DB9 cable and terminator
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

0
Reply Kurt 11/3/2003 6:17:47 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2472 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to Connect Two Fibre Channel Initiators
If you want to connect two fibre channel initiators together and have them exchange information over fibre channel, does this require you to use a switch between them? I'm used to connecting initiators to targets, and I've never had to deal with connecting two initiators. I'm not clear on whether the fibre channel model has a way to accomodate two directly attached initiators so that they can synch lock to each other. My application is IBM FICON, but that is close enough to fibre channel that I'm asking the question in terms of fibre channel since many more people ...

SN#20584 450GB 15,000K rpm Fibre Channel Hard Disk Drives
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 127 Issue 3 2008-09-15 Article 20584 from section "Sun Disk" For the Sun StorageTek 6140 & 6540 arrays Better performance, lower cost: New drives for Sun StorageTek 6140 and 6540 arrays Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=20584 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe Free 4-week trial is available. (...

SN#20272 1TB 7200RPM Low Cost Fibre Channel Hard Disk Drive
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 125 Issue 2 2008-07-07 Article 20272 from section "Storage" Low Cost Efficiency Where It Is Needed When Archiving Now available from Sun is a 1TB 7200 RPM Fibre Channel Hard Disk Drive (HDD) priced lower than expected. It is compatible with the StorageTek ST9990V and ST9985V storage systems. The new Fiber Channel HDD can be applied to your system to add capacity for applications requiring optimized reads for large files. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=20272 Have a custom version of 'Syste...

How do i connect two matlab programs on two different computers
hello, My objective is to connect two matlab programs on different computers and pass a string between the two. I have been looking into tcpip command in the instrument control toolbox, but after i create the object, I am unable to open the connection between the two. The error that occurs is : ??? Error using ==> fopen Operation timed out: connect. Please let me know about the correct procedure to achieve the above objective. thanks for the help Regards, shashikiran prabhakar "shashikiran prabhakar" <shashikiranp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eef4710.-1@webx.raydaf...

Reliability of fibre channel disks vs. SCSI disks?
I've been told, but find it hard to believe, that fibre channel disks are quite a bit more reliable than SCSI disks. My own limited experience with fibre channel disks is that they fail at a similar rate to SCSI disks. In the past I've used arrays that contain SCSI disks. At my new job we use mostly fibre channel. They seem to me to fail at a similar rate, but the sys admin I work with is convinced that SCSI disks fail more frequently given like circumstances ("all other things being equal"). And aren't all current fibre channel disks really SCSI disks ...

Connecting two networks together by having two network cards in the same computer
Hi, I recently aquired two 100Mbs cards and I am trying to incorporate them in my existing network at home. My old network looks as follows: 10Mbs 10Mbs Mountainman ------------- Surfrat -------- Win XP Win 98SE | 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 | 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0 | | |---------------------------------------------| | | 10Mbs |- Jukebox ---------------- J...

connecting two sco unix 5.0.5 computers through dialup connection
I have the following doubts can any one clear these ? 1.connecting two sco unix 5.0.5 computers through dialup connection ( using modem- like telnet connection not cu connection) 2.how to transfer files between computers ( take & put is not working for large files ) in simple methods (is it possible to use ftp over the above connection)? 3.i have read a lot of about UUCP ( installation and others ) but no where I found 'how to use it"? Please give me a step by step method ( at least Question 1 & 2 ) 3. If I am changing the os to linux which one is the best ( most similar...

Connecting a USB hub and my laptop computer to my 2 two computer DSL network
Hi - I am hoping someone can help me. I have been struggling for 2 weeks trying to figure this out with not success. My wife and I both have desk top computers which are located about 12 feet apart. We have one DSL line which is attached to her computer via a modem. I share that DSL line with a hard wire to my computer. We can both be on our computers at the same time. I need more USB ports for my computer so I bought a USB hub with four ports. I have not been successful in getting that hub connected to my computer. The one available USB port on my computer is a Type A. However, ...

connecting two computers
I need to write a java program to transfer files between two computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected only by a network cable. Any help would be GREAT! On 24 Jun 2004 14:07:26 -0700, rocha367@msn.com (Alex) wrote or quoted : >I need to write a java program to transfer files between two >computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code >to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I...

Connecting two computers
Hello: Recently I purchased a DI-704P rev-A router. Comp one can access the internet just fine, but can not see the home network and the networking card is a Realtek PCI. Comp two takes near 20 minuttes to get to the yahoo.com main page. It is very slow. The nic is a ISA 3C509. I also tried two different SMC isa cards with no improvement. Both comps are running win98 version 4.10.1998. Comp ones network has: client for microsoft networks client for netware networks microsoft family logon realtek RT8139(A/B/C)PCI fast ethernet Adapter ixp/spx-compatible protocol tcp/ip...

how to connect two computers
how do I have to configure a notebook (winxp pro) and a pc (win 98) using a cross cable ( not a LAN cable). thanks "chito-ana" <luis_ana@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:q8IOb.3480$cQ6.119386@news20.bellglobal.com... > how do I have to configure a notebook (winxp pro) and a pc (win 98) using a > cross cable ( not a LAN cable). > > thanks I cross-over cable is nothing more that a straight-through (LAN) cable with transmit and received crossed. There is nothing special to do to set up the network. However, if the XP machine in running its built...

any connection for two computers
I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also. What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe. Thanks. [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking and a copy was sent to the cited author.] In article <bl2bi4$820$1@bob.news.rcn.net>, cljlk@hotmail.com says... > I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also. > What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard > disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe. ...

Is it possible to have one computer(win xp) connected to two networks using two nics
Currently I have a netgear wireless lan and am connected with a USB wirless device. Purchased another wireless router and configure the ip address to be 192.178.0.1 so if differs from the other(192.168.0.1). Connected the above computer to it via patch cable. All seem to freeze when I explore network neighbor hood or get a not authorized message. Second router is to connect the above computer to others in the same room. Thanks for any suggestions(reference material urls) Ken ...

Connecting two computers through WIFI
Hello. Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI? Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do iwlist $INTERFACE scanning on both computers, I see the nearby access point). One has an atheros chpiset card, I configure it with modprobe ath_pci wlanconfig ath0 destroy wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc iwconfig ath0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.3 and the other (which has an intel chipset card) with iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-o...

trouble connecting two computers
I have a PowerBook G4 and iMac, both on Panther, connected by an Ethernet cable. I've connected them before, but then suddenly, it stops working. A will show up on B, but B doesn't show up on A, etc. File sharing on, IP addresses in place, Apple Talk on. I've been this route so many times! I'm weary of spending so much time trying to figure it out. Is there not a simple step-by-step instruction on connecting two Macs? I suspect the problem is the necessity of assigning a "server". (And what's this "admistrator" access only problem? I AM the 'admistra...

connecting two computers together
i want to connect both my computers together so we can be on the internet at the same time useing one phone line connection. I have a new emachines computer with xp and a compaq with windows 98 2nd edition.the compaq has a intel 8255-based pci ethenet adapter [10/100] the emachien is a t2682. i want the emachine to be the base.thack you ...

hard disk benchmarking
Hello, I want to write a small benchmarking tool to see the performance of my harddisk. How to I go about doing this? I was thinking of writing some random characters to a swap file and reading it back. Will this do? regards, GVK GVK wrote: > Hello, > I want to write a small benchmarking tool to see the performance of > my harddisk. How to I go about doing this? I was thinking of writing > some random characters to a swap file and reading it back. Will this do? I don't think this alone will do it. You will need to think about important points before writing a bench...

howTo
hey all, wen a linux system (any distribution) is up and running, i wanted to figure out the number of physical disks( hard disks) attached to the system.. the disks are raid disks.. with rhel3.0, the file /proc/diskstats is not even created with the model of hard disk i am using... ( figured the problem may be the hard disk model cos i've seen other systems where this file is created) the solution preferred is a command or a pipe of multiple commands but that should be independent of hard disk type(make) (cos each hard disk type can have different device names .. i dont want to make it de...

Connecting two computers through WIFI
Hello. Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI? Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do iwlist $INTERFACE scanning on both computers, I see the nearby access point). One has an atheros chpiset card, I configure it with modprobe ath_pci wlanconfig ath0 destroy wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc iwconfig ath0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.3 and the other (which has an intel chipset card) with iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-o...

connect two remote computers
So I need to connect two remote computers via wireless internet. I need to have the full control of the second pc (change its clock, set it to reboot after certain time etc) but I also want to transfer data files. That is, to connect to the second pc let's say every 5 minutes and collect its recorded data and save them. I need a general direction here because I have no idea what I'm doing and what I'll need. Also is there a risk of loosing data on the way through the transfer? Which version of Matlab is more fitting? Thanks in advance and I'd really appreciate any help you co...

Connecting two computers with modems
Is it possible to connect two computers directly with modems, and if so how? It is not possible to connect them with ethernet or a wireless connection as they are too far apart. -- Philip In message <8a6590464c.philip@red> Philip <philip@127.0.0.1> wrote: > Is it possible to connect two computers directly with modems, and if so how? > It is not possible to connect them with ethernet or a wireless connection as > they are too far apart. > I know that there are devices which produce the dial tone etc. (pretend to be the exchange) to get the ...

connecting fw drive to two computers
I've read comments on the newsgroups that it's not a good idea to connect an external firewire drive to two different machines. Does it make any difference if the FW drive has two partitions, each one dedicated to a different computer? Does it make a difference if you dismount the drive from the desktop of one computer while writing to it from the other? Or is this a prescription for disaster no matter what? -- d49ot One of the things people DO with firewire drives, is carry them from computer to computer. Of course you wouldn't want two different computers hitting the...

Connecting two Computers using RS232
Dear All I would like to connect two PCs using RS232 serial port using Matlab so I can send data from one PC and receive it in the other one. I have used a Null modem cable for the task. I have followed the procedure of serial port interfacing but it didn't work. Did anybody see that problem before?. Thank you very much Sincerely, Omar Hi Omar, nope, it work just fine. Regards, Stefan wrote: > > > Dear All > I would like to connect two PCs using RS232 serial port using > Matlab > so I can send data from one PC and receive it in the other one. I > have used a Null ...

How to use Bluetooth to connect two computers ?
I want to connect two computers (desktop and laptop) by Bluetooth adapters. For that I want to plugin in each of the two computers an USB Bluetooth adapter and to create something like a network. In other words can I transfer and access the other computer as if I would have connected them by a router? Ken ...