I fixed Windows Delayed Write error....how?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a new X2 build. 2-15K Fujitsu drives. The 2nd drive (73G) never
installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.

Tonight I replaced it with another 73G drive; which immediately gave me
problems. The machine wouldn't boot with it attached. Fiddled around a bit
to no avail; then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
could be.

I've set up half a dozen scsi installations before and never came across
this problem. Sometimes the machine won't boot until I rearrange things, but
I've never had a machine that ran, but with constant errors.

Why did changing ther termination position fix it? I'd like to find a little
practical knowledge here, as opposed to my usual fumbling upon the solution
way of doing things. Thanks...

0
Reply Dennis 8/16/2006 4:44:02 AM

See related articles to this posting

Dennis Gordon wrote:

> [...]
> The 2nd drive (73G) never
> installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
> Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
> [...]
> then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
> right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
> so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
> could be.

There must always be two terminators, where is the second one?

[...]
> Why did changing ther termination position fix it?

Most likely because it was in the wrong position before.

The SCSI bus must be a linear sequence of one or multiple cables with a
terminator on each end. The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs
into them - by converting its energy to heat - preventing it from being
reflected at the end of the cable (reflected signals can lead to the
situation that a device detects the same signal multiple times).

This means the terminators must be placed on the two _physical_ ends of
the bus (regardless where the devices are placed between them). Note
that a hostadapter counts as a device like e.g. a disk.

The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus for best
electrical characteristics and should have a distance of 30cm from
each-other if possible. A minimum distance between the terminators and
devices is not required (therefore it is possible to integrate
terminators into devices).

For your configuration this might look like this:

     +---------+   +-------+   +------T
     |          \ /         \ /
  +--O--+     +--O--+     +--O--+
  |  T  |     |     |     |     |
  |     |     |     |     |     |
  +-----+     +-----+     +-----+
Hostadapter    Disk1       Disk2

(T: Terminator)

Micha
0
Reply Michael 8/16/2006 10:23:13 AM

"Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:k98br3-j6t.ln1@micha.freeshell.org
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > The 2nd drive (73G) never
> > installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
> > Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
> > [...]
> > then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
> > right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
> > so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
> > could be.
>
> There must always be two terminators, where is the second one?

On the scsi controller card, maybe? Just a lucky guess.

> [...]
> > Why did changing ther termination position fix it?
>
> Most likely because it was in the wrong position before.
>
> The SCSI bus must be a linear sequence of one or multiple cables with a
> terminator on each end.

> The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs into them -

> by converting its energy to heat -

Never heard it explained like that.
Pity reflections are frequency/impedance dependent and not energy related.

> preventing it from being reflected at the end of the cable

The popular explanation is that a terminator mimics the impedance of the
cable, making it appear as if the cable is endless and so no reflections
do appear. It also functions to supply the signalling voltage to the bus.

> (reflected signals can lead to the situation that
> a device detects the same signal multiple times).
>
> This means the terminators must be placed on the two _physical_ ends
> of the bus (regardless where the devices are placed between them).
> Note that a hostadapter counts as a device like e.g. a disk.

> The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus

Nope.
Pity that is usually completely impossible with both internal and external
devices on the bus.

> for best electrical characteristics

> and should have a distance of 30cm from each-other if possible.

Actually the distance is dependent on the stub length of the devices
(conductor length from cable connector to device controller chip).
The 30cm is based on the max allowed stublength.
The (minimum) requirements are actually different for SE and LVD.

> A minimum distance between the terminators and devices is not required

Yes it is.
It's either within a short distance (stub) or the minimum spacing distance.

> (therefore it is possible to integrate terminators into devices).
>
> For your configuration this might look like this:
>
>      +---------+   +-------+   +------T
>      |          \ /         \ /
>   +--O--+     +--O--+     +--O--+
>   |  T  |     |     |     |     |
>   |     |     |     |     |     |
>   +-----+     +-----+     +-----+
> Hostadapter    Disk1       Disk2
>
> (T: Terminator)
>

> Micha

Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.
0
Reply Folkert 8/16/2006 5:21:44 PM

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 19:21 +0200, Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> "Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:k98br3-j6t.ln1@micha.freeshell.org

[snip]

> Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.

Are you afraid he's after your job, Folkert?

--
Jeremy Boden

0
Reply Jeremy 8/16/2006 9:13:35 PM

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> I have a new X2 build. 2-15K Fujitsu drives. The 2nd drive (73G) never
> installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
> Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
>
> Tonight I replaced it with another 73G drive; which immediately gave me
> problems. The machine wouldn't boot with it attached. Fiddled around a bit
> to no avail; then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
> right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
> so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
> could be.

Hi

You seem to be suggesting you had the terminator in between the adapter
(LSI) and the first or second disk.  You should have the terminator
right at the end of the cable (last connector of the cable).

If it helps a little

Regards
Charles

--
Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
0

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

> Michael Baeuerle wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs into them -
> > by converting its energy to heat -
>
> Never heard it explained like that.
> Pity reflections are frequency/impedance dependent and not energy related.

The physical principle of energy conservation say that energy cannot
disappear. If the signal hits the unterminated end of the cable it must
be reflected otherwise this principle would be violated. This is the
physical cause for reflections.

How much of the energy is reflected depends on the impedance mismatch.
This means if your terminator has not the same impedance as the cable it
cannot convert all of the signals energy (the rest is reflected). This
is also the case if you place a correctly matching terminator in the
middle of a long cable: A signal reaching the terminator will see the
terminators impedance and the cable impedance (from the rest of the
cable) in parallel. This is an impedance mismatch creating a reflection
(of nominal 1/3 of the energy).

> > preventing it from being reflected at the end of the cable
>
> The popular explanation is that a terminator mimics the impedance of the
> cable, making it appear as if the cable is endless and so no reflections
> do appear.

I know. But IMHO this do not explain what terminators _physically_ do -
they have to convert the signal energy, otherwise they have no effect.
The "endless cable" is nothing else than a virtual energy storage
facility with infinite size.

> It also functions to supply the signalling voltage to the bus.

Yes, but this job is always done if at least one terminator is present
(even if it is at the wrong position).

> > [...]
> > The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus
>
> Nope.
> Pity that is usually completely impossible with both internal and external
> devices on the bus.

I have written "should". It is the ideal case because every device
creates some impedance distortion that should not be lumped (instead it
should be distributed as best as possible).

> > and should have a distance of 30cm from each-other if possible.
>
> Actually the distance is dependent on the stub length of the devices
> (conductor length from cable connector to device controller chip).

... and the input capacitance of the chip.

> The 30cm is based on the max allowed stublength.
> The (minimum) requirements are actually different for SE and LVD.

Yes, but stub length and capacitance are unknown in nearly all cases. So
one should try to use 30cm if possible to be on the save side.

> [...]
> Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.

Maybe :-) But I can be more quiet if the people here have a problem with
it and think my postings contain no useful information ...

Micha
0
Reply Michael 8/17/2006 9:23:20 AM

"Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:b5pdr3-v3v.ln1@micha.freeshell.org
> Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> > Michael Baeuerle wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs into them -
> > > by converting its energy to heat -
> >
> > Never heard it explained like that.
> > Pity reflections are frequency/impedance dependent and not energy related.

[snip]

> > > preventing it from being reflected at the end of the cable
> >
> > The popular explanation is that a terminator mimics the impedance of the
> > cable, making it appear as if the cable is endless and so no reflections
> > do appear.

> I know.

Then why not keep it at that.
Why explain it differently and stirr up controversy.

> But IMHO this do not explain what terminators _physically_ do -

Who cares. They avoid reflections occurring.

> they have to convert the signal energy, otherwise they have no effect.

> The "endless cable" is nothing else than a virtual energy storage
> facility with infinite size.

Which is good enough for me and far more appealing.

> > It also functions to supply the signalling voltage to the bus.
>
> Yes, but this job is always done if at least one terminator is present
> (even if it is at the wrong position).
>
> > > [...]
> > > The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus
> >
> > Nope.
> > Pity that is usually completely impossible with both internal and external
> > devices on the bus.
>
> I have written "should". It is the ideal case because every device
> creates some impedance distortion that should not be lumped (instead it
> should be distributed as best as possible).
>
> > > and should have a distance of 30cm from each-other if possible.

> > Actually the distance is dependent on the stub length of the devices
> > (conductor length from cable connector to device controller chip).

> .. and the input capacitance of the chip.

Nope, not in the SE specs. Capacitance plays a role in the LVD specs.
With SE it is just spacing distance to stublength is 5:1
With a 6cm maximum for stub length that makes 30cm a safe distance.

> > The 30cm is based on the max allowed stublength.
> > The (minimum) requirements are actually different for SE and LVD.
>
> Yes, but stub length and capacitance are unknown in nearly all cases.
> So one should try to use 30cm if possible to be on the save side.
>
> > [...]
> > Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.
>
> Maybe :-)
> But I can be more quiet if the people here have a problem with
> it and think my postings contain

> no useful information ...

Depends on the usefulness and correctness.

> Micha
0
Reply Folkert 8/17/2006 11:17:43 PM

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> "Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:b5pdr3-v3v.ln1@micha.freeshell.org

<heavy snip>

>> But IMHO this do not explain what terminators _physically_ do -
>
> Who cares. They avoid reflections occurring.

...^^^^^^^^^

<snip>

>>> [...]
>>> Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.
>> Maybe :-)
>> But I can be more quiet if the people here have a problem with
>> it and think my postings contain
>
>> no useful information ...
>
> Depends on the usefulness and correctness.

as you can see you too may choose to avoid correctness.  Usefulness is
important even if it is not perfectly correctly explained.  You could
make yourself more useful by giving useful answers as opposed to picking
on those that are not always correct but may still be useful.

Regards
Charles

--
Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
0
Reply Charles 8/18/2006 12:55:25 AM

Thanks for the explanations and...ummm entertiaing banter. As I checked the
other machines I've set up I see that I'd done it correctly on the other
three, but it was a long time ago and I just didn't think things through
this time. What confused me was, in the past, when I had impropery cabled
the drives, one of them simply wouldn't show up. I'd not seen the delayed
write error before, so it took a day for my small brain to catch on.

"Charles C." <c.k.christacopoulos.removeme.@dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> I have a new X2 build. 2-15K Fujitsu drives. The 2nd drive (73G) never
>> installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
>> Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
>>
>> Tonight I replaced it with another 73G drive; which immediately gave me
>> problems. The machine wouldn't boot with it attached. Fiddled around a
>> bit
>> to no avail; then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the
>> terminator
>> right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed
>> it,
>> so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast
>> as
>> could be.
>
> Hi
>
> You seem to be suggesting you had the terminator in between the adapter
> (LSI) and the first or second disk.  You should have the terminator
> right at the end of the cable (last connector of the cable).
>
> If it helps a little
>
> Regards
> Charles
>

>> I've set up half a dozen scsi installations before and never came across
>> this problem. Sometimes the machine won't boot until I rearrange things,
>> but
>> I've never had a machine that ran, but with constant errors.
>>
>> Why did changing ther termination position fix it? I'd like to find a
>> little
>> practical knowledge here, as opposed to my usual fumbling upon the
>> solution
>> way of doing things. Thanks...
>>

> --
> Please remove _removeme_ to reply.

0
Reply Dennis 8/21/2006 3:09:20 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2472 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Windows
Today, I encounter some unusual errors adding an external firewire drive to my system. The hard drive in question is a Seagate 200 GB 7200 rpm in a Speeze enclosure 350ufl. While configuring this drive, Windows XP gave me a "Windows - Write Delay Error." Upon further investigation, the hard drive became extreme unstable. My internet search has told me that this error message is a very bad thing. Generally, it means some hard drive failure of sort. Now, the challenge becomes dealing with the warranty replacement; and knowing what questions to expect from the RMA department. ...

Odd error: write delay error on drive C:
I have seen write delayed error before but always on external drives, never an internal drive. Until today about 30 minutes ago... 80GB Seagate drive, at the end of updating antivirus program while I was running Everquest when Windows reported error on C drive. Since then nothing would run and when I tried to do a shut down, I got an empty shut down/restart box (outline of box with outline of buttons, nothing filled in). After I got the PC restarted, it did an automatic check of C: drive and didn't find any error. Everything seems to be running fine now. No SMART status, ...

Delayed Write Error
Hi All, I'm just off to do some research into this problem on the microsoft sites but thought I'd ask this here incase anyone has come across this before. I've got a customer with an intermittent problem where windows is reporting a 'Delayed Write Error' generally when my system is processing a lot of information such as report generation etc. I suspect this is more to do with the server / network than VO but I'd be grateful for any info Thanks Simon Think I've found the solution - incase anyone's interested: http://support.microsof...

Any fix to the Windows File Protection error?
Ever since using Win2K Professional, I occasionally get the error "Files That Are Required have been replaced....please insert your Win2K CD...". I would like it to stop doing this. I have done what it says, inserting the Win2K CD, but this only makes it go away for the moment. It comes back, sometimes 5 minutes later, maybe the next day or week, but it always comes back. I want it to stop forever. I found instructions on the MS web site, but there are problems with these. First of all it says to go to a Win2K machine (to get a certificate). I don't know if this means to go to ...

Vim/Windows
Lately, every time I edit a file for a while with Vim, anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes or so, I will start getting popup error messages from Windows that say: ------------------------------------------------------------- Windows - Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \\computer\d$\..\..\filename.swp. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file ------------------------------------------------------------- In addition, I will sometimes get messages ...

X for Windows, XDMCP delay error
Hi, i have a XDMCP delay error onto a XP worstation, hosts unix does not respond in time. But, from aanother worstation XP it's ok ? Some one could help me ? p.hirth@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, i have a XDMCP delay error onto a XP worstation, hosts unix does > not respond in time. But, from aanother worstation XP it's ok ? > > Some one could help me ? I could try to answer if I knew the question. :-) As far as I can tell, you have a X server running on Windows XP, and trying to use it from a Unix box. There are several possible causes for such delays. My f...

Socket Write Error
Does any have an idea of what may be causing a socket write error? I am using a Perl script to send mail through the localhost using net::smtp. A connection is made that last for 0 seconds and the Mercury smtp session log file shows: 14:14:07.625: 9: Socket write error 10054 (connection aborted by remote host) 14:14:07.625: --- Connection closed normally at Thu Aug 07 14:14:07 2003. --- Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. ...

Delayed Write Errors and External Drives
Is there a difinitive solution to the delayed write failure that occurs with external firewire and USB hard drives? My setup: Windows XP Home SP2 with a Seagate 300gb on USB2 formatted NTFS. I have had nothing but problems with this drive and the delayed write errors. I had the same problem with XP pro and a maxtor firewire drive. I've read so many people's problems with this error but no-one has any real fix for it. It seems to be a very common problem but nobody has addressed it. "Soza" <flugelheim@hagendaaz1911.org> wrote in message news:pwb...

Delayed Write Error
I have a NDAS device called a Ximeta 250GB Network Storage. It has a 8-port ethernet switch that allows multiple connections to the device. Recently, we had gotten delayed write errors, so after some research we decided to replace the drive. From WD to Seagate, easy enough... Only problem is, we're getting the errors again. I work for a company that employs 10 of these Ximeta drives, and they're all starting to have it, not 6 months after having the drives replaced. After more research, finding the numerous possible solutions, including disabling write caching, verifying ...

[9fans] SB600 i/o error on read/write FIXED
using eriks /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/sdiahci.c works. this thread is closed now ;-) sorry for the brain->9fans noise. -- cinap ...

External Harddisk
Hi, I am constantly getting "copy file failed" or Delayed write error - with my external harddisk (Western digital - 80gb). This happens when I try to copy files above 100mb and its intermittent. When I bought this disk, I could able to copy more than 3 gb single file. I use Windows 2000 sp4 and external hard disk format is FAT32. I have tried couple of suggession, after going through various article in the web and discussion group. Still I couldn't find any solution. Error continues. Recently I have to format and reinstall the OS in my machine. When I connected first time, s...

pgsql-server: Fix error in Windows version of CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS
Log Message: ----------- Fix error in Windows version of CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS macro. This prevented statement_timeout from working. Magnus Hagander Modified Files: -------------- pgsql-server/src/include: miscadmin.h (r1.167 -> r1.168) (http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/include/miscadmin.h.diff?r1=1.167&r2=1.168) ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings ...

TI59 card write error (flashing 21)
Anyone know how to get the card reader to work again on a TI59? It appears to write ok (i.e. without error), but if I try to read the card back in (to the same bank, after turning off the machine) all I can get is a flashing '21' error code (which I presume means read error). Any tips welcomed! I got a brand new battery pack for the machine, and it still seems to work perfectly apart from the card reader. -Dean DeanB wrote: > Anyone know how to get the card reader to work again on a TI59? It > appears to write ok (i.e. without error), but if I try to read the ...

help fixing windows 2000 File Protection Error
er since using Win2K Professional, I occasionally get the error "Files That Are Required have been replaced....please insert your Win2K CD...". I found a page in the MS Knowledge DB that addresses this exact issue, but the instructions say: 6. When the list of available snap-ins are displayed, click Certificates, and then click Add. 7. Click Computer Account. I can't click Computer Account, because there is no such thing. Is this supposed to be on the list where certifiactes was, or a button, or a tab..? I've searched my screen high and low and and found not...

[...]

Blue Screen of death, how to fix Stop error in windows xp
I have been seeing quite a few posts regarding the dreaded Blue Screen of Death, and what the STOP codes mean. This is a fairly extensive list of the most common stop errors, their corrasponding codes, and recommended solutions. When Windows XP detects a problem from which it cannot recover, it displays Stop messages. These are text-mode error messages that report information about the condition. Stop messages, sometimes referred to as blue screens (BSoD), contain specific information that can help you diagnose and possibly resolve the problem detected by the Windows kernel. Th...

External Harddisk
Hi, I am constantly getting "copy file failed" or Delayed write error - with my external harddisk (Western digital - 80gb). This happens when I try to copy files above 100mb and its intermittent. When I bought this disk, I could able to copy more than 3 gb single file. I use Windows 2000 sp4 and external hard disk format is FAT32. I have tried couple of suggession, after going through various article in the web and discussion group. Still I couldn't find any solution. Error continues. Recently I have to format and reinstall the OS in my machine. When I connected first time, s...

Re: [9fans] SB600 i/o error on read/write FIXED
> using eriks /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/sdiahci.c works. > > this thread is closed now ;-) > > sorry for the brain->9fans noise. westerndigitalhung isn't the problem. the problem is that the locking used by sdiahci.c originally had several races waiting for drives to become ready. (is there any chance you have a quirky drive?) i submitted a patch on may 29 that i believe fixes this problem. but you can also use the version in my contrib area, which i updated today. the major change is that broken sata:pata bridges that don't do udma mode 5 (required for sata)...

Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Hi All, I just a response from a user the following error message Windows - Delayed Write Failed windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\LanmanRedirector\somedir\someotherdir\somefile.msf The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save elsewhere. Now the SAMBA server has been running great for close to 2 years now with minor glitches, I have looked around the net for information regarding this error message, to little avail. The file in question here is a Mozilla mail f...

"Delayed write failed" error when backing up over LAN
Anyone else seen "Delayed write failed" (Event ID 50 with status word c000020c) when backing up files to a shared folder over a LAN on WinXP machines? I've seen this.. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fbin%2Fkbsearch.asp%3FArticle%3D293842 (but it's not quite the same and it says it only applies to Win2000). and this.. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321733 (but the status code is different) ...

Error while writing/typing on screen, VIO or Pres. Mang. windows
Every time I write, I am now getting numerous "y" characters appearing on the screen. And sometimes they just continue to repeat on the screen. For instance, my letter to you would look like thisyyyyyy See what I mean? The letter "y" just keeps appearing on its own. Sometyimes tyhe enter key just creates lines of "y" characters, sometimes that won't stop on its own. Any ideas? Lars F. Sir: My Name wrote: > Every time I write, I am now getting numerous "y" characters appearing > on the screen. And sometimes they just conti...

mercury 32 server windows 2003 socket write error
Hello, I'm getting a socket write error when using Mercury/32 Mail server on a win2k3 server. When outside smtp mail attempts to be delivered I get a Socket write error 10054 and the connection is terminated and no mail is delivered. I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered. Thank you, Bryce Freeman --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.512 / Virus Database: 309 - Release Date: 8/19/2003 [POSTED TO comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE] ...