I fixed Windows Delayed Write error....how?

I have a new X2 build. 2-15K Fujitsu drives. The 2nd drive (73G) never
installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.

Tonight I replaced it with another 73G drive; which immediately gave me
problems. The machine wouldn't boot with it attached. Fiddled around a bit
to no avail; then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
could be.

I've set up half a dozen scsi installations before and never came across
this problem. Sometimes the machine won't boot until I rearrange things, but
I've never had a machine that ran, but with constant errors.

Why did changing ther termination position fix it? I'd like to find a little
practical knowledge here, as opposed to my usual fumbling upon the solution
way of doing things. Thanks...

0
Dennis
8/16/2006 4:44:02 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2471 articles. 1 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

Dennis Gordon wrote:

> [...]
> The 2nd drive (73G) never
> installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
> Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
> [...]
> then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
> right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
> so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
> could be.

There must always be two terminators, where is the second one?

[...]
> Why did changing ther termination position fix it?

Most likely because it was in the wrong position before.

The SCSI bus must be a linear sequence of one or multiple cables with a
terminator on each end. The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs
into them - by converting its energy to heat - preventing it from being
reflected at the end of the cable (reflected signals can lead to the
situation that a device detects the same signal multiple times).

This means the terminators must be placed on the two _physical_ ends of
the bus (regardless where the devices are placed between them). Note
that a hostadapter counts as a device like e.g. a disk.

The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus for best
electrical characteristics and should have a distance of 30cm from
each-other if possible. A minimum distance between the terminators and
devices is not required (therefore it is possible to integrate
terminators into devices).

For your configuration this might look like this:

     +---------+   +-------+   +------T
     |          \ /         \ /
  +--O--+     +--O--+     +--O--+
  |  T  |     |     |     |     |
  |     |     |     |     |     |
  +-----+     +-----+     +-----+
Hostadapter    Disk1       Disk2

(T: Terminator)

Micha
0
Michael
8/16/2006 10:23:13 AM
"Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:k98br3-j6t.ln1@micha.freeshell.org
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > The 2nd drive (73G) never
> > installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
> > Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
> > [...]
> > then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
> > right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
> > so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
> > could be.
>
> There must always be two terminators, where is the second one?

On the scsi controller card, maybe? Just a lucky guess.

> [...]
> > Why did changing ther termination position fix it?
>
> Most likely because it was in the wrong position before.
>
> The SCSI bus must be a linear sequence of one or multiple cables with a
> terminator on each end.

> The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs into them -

> by converting its energy to heat -

Never heard it explained like that.
Pity reflections are frequency/impedance dependent and not energy related.

> preventing it from being reflected at the end of the cable

The popular explanation is that a terminator mimics the impedance of the
cable, making it appear as if the cable is endless and so no reflections
do appear. It also functions to supply the signalling voltage to the bus.

> (reflected signals can lead to the situation that
> a device detects the same signal multiple times).
>
> This means the terminators must be placed on the two _physical_ ends
> of the bus (regardless where the devices are placed between them).
> Note that a hostadapter counts as a device like e.g. a disk.

> The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus

Nope.
Pity that is usually completely impossible with both internal and external
devices on the bus.

> for best electrical characteristics

> and should have a distance of 30cm from each-other if possible.

Actually the distance is dependent on the stub length of the devices
(conductor length from cable connector to device controller chip).
The 30cm is based on the max allowed stublength.
The (minimum) requirements are actually different for SE and LVD.

> A minimum distance between the terminators and devices is not required

Yes it is.
It's either within a short distance (stub) or the minimum spacing distance.

> (therefore it is possible to integrate terminators into devices).
>
> For your configuration this might look like this:
>
>      +---------+   +-------+   +------T
>      |          \ /         \ /
>   +--O--+     +--O--+     +--O--+
>   |  T  |     |     |     |     |
>   |     |     |     |     |     |
>   +-----+     +-----+     +-----+
> Hostadapter    Disk1       Disk2
>
> (T: Terminator)
>

> Micha

Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.
0
Folkert
8/16/2006 5:21:44 PM
On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 19:21 +0200, Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> "Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:k98br3-j6t.ln1@micha.freeshell.org

[snip]

> Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.

Are you afraid he's after your job, Folkert?

--
Jeremy Boden

0
Jeremy
8/16/2006 9:13:35 PM
Dennis Gordon wrote:
> I have a new X2 build. 2-15K Fujitsu drives. The 2nd drive (73G) never
> installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
> Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
>
> Tonight I replaced it with another 73G drive; which immediately gave me
> problems. The machine wouldn't boot with it attached. Fiddled around a bit
> to no avail; then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the terminator
> right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed it,
> so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast as
> could be.

Hi

You seem to be suggesting you had the terminator in between the adapter
(LSI) and the first or second disk.  You should have the terminator
right at the end of the cable (last connector of the cable).

If it helps a little

Regards
Charles

--
Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
0
Folkert Rienstra wrote:

> Michael Baeuerle wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs into them -
> > by converting its energy to heat -
>
> Never heard it explained like that.
> Pity reflections are frequency/impedance dependent and not energy related.

The physical principle of energy conservation say that energy cannot
disappear. If the signal hits the unterminated end of the cable it must
be reflected otherwise this principle would be violated. This is the
physical cause for reflections.

How much of the energy is reflected depends on the impedance mismatch.
This means if your terminator has not the same impedance as the cable it
cannot convert all of the signals energy (the rest is reflected). This
is also the case if you place a correctly matching terminator in the
middle of a long cable: A signal reaching the terminator will see the
terminators impedance and the cable impedance (from the rest of the
cable) in parallel. This is an impedance mismatch creating a reflection
(of nominal 1/3 of the energy).

> > preventing it from being reflected at the end of the cable
>
> The popular explanation is that a terminator mimics the impedance of the
> cable, making it appear as if the cable is endless and so no reflections
> do appear.

I know. But IMHO this do not explain what terminators _physically_ do -
they have to convert the signal energy, otherwise they have no effect.
The "endless cable" is nothing else than a virtual energy storage
facility with infinite size.

> It also functions to supply the signalling voltage to the bus.

Yes, but this job is always done if at least one terminator is present
(even if it is at the wrong position).

> > [...]
> > The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus
>
> Nope.
> Pity that is usually completely impossible with both internal and external
> devices on the bus.

I have written "should". It is the ideal case because every device
creates some impedance distortion that should not be lumped (instead it
should be distributed as best as possible).

> > and should have a distance of 30cm from each-other if possible.
>
> Actually the distance is dependent on the stub length of the devices
> (conductor length from cable connector to device controller chip).

... and the input capacitance of the chip.

> The 30cm is based on the max allowed stublength.
> The (minimum) requirements are actually different for SE and LVD.

Yes, but stub length and capacitance are unknown in nearly all cases. So
one should try to use 30cm if possible to be on the save side.

> [...]
> Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.

Maybe :-) But I can be more quiet if the people here have a problem with
it and think my postings contain no useful information ...

Micha
0
Michael
8/17/2006 9:23:20 AM
"Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:b5pdr3-v3v.ln1@micha.freeshell.org
> Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> > Michael Baeuerle wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > The terminators "terminate" any signal that runs into them -
> > > by converting its energy to heat -
> >
> > Never heard it explained like that.
> > Pity reflections are frequency/impedance dependent and not energy related.

[snip]

> > > preventing it from being reflected at the end of the cable
> >
> > The popular explanation is that a terminator mimics the impedance of the
> > cable, making it appear as if the cable is endless and so no reflections
> > do appear.

> I know.

Then why not keep it at that.
Why explain it differently and stirr up controversy.

> But IMHO this do not explain what terminators _physically_ do -

Who cares. They avoid reflections occurring.

> they have to convert the signal energy, otherwise they have no effect.

> The "endless cable" is nothing else than a virtual energy storage
> facility with infinite size.

Which is good enough for me and far more appealing.

> > It also functions to supply the signalling voltage to the bus.
>
> Yes, but this job is always done if at least one terminator is present
> (even if it is at the wrong position).
>
> > > [...]
> > > The devices should be uniformly distributed across the bus
> >
> > Nope.
> > Pity that is usually completely impossible with both internal and external
> > devices on the bus.
>
> I have written "should". It is the ideal case because every device
> creates some impedance distortion that should not be lumped (instead it
> should be distributed as best as possible).
>
> > > and should have a distance of 30cm from each-other if possible.

> > Actually the distance is dependent on the stub length of the devices
> > (conductor length from cable connector to device controller chip).

> .. and the input capacitance of the chip.

Nope, not in the SE specs. Capacitance plays a role in the LVD specs.
With SE it is just spacing distance to stublength is 5:1
With a 6cm maximum for stub length that makes 30cm a safe distance.

> > The 30cm is based on the max allowed stublength.
> > The (minimum) requirements are actually different for SE and LVD.
>
> Yes, but stub length and capacitance are unknown in nearly all cases.
> So one should try to use 30cm if possible to be on the save side.
>
> > [...]
> > Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.
>
> Maybe :-)
> But I can be more quiet if the people here have a problem with
> it and think my postings contain

> no useful information ...

Depends on the usefulness and correctness.

> Micha
0
Folkert
8/17/2006 11:17:43 PM
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> "Michael Baeuerle" <michael.baeuerle@stz-e.de> wrote in message news:b5pdr3-v3v.ln1@micha.freeshell.org

<heavy snip>

>> But IMHO this do not explain what terminators _physically_ do -
>
> Who cares. They avoid reflections occurring.

...^^^^^^^^^

<snip>

>>> [...]
>>> Are you trying to become the resident babblemouth, Micha.
>> Maybe :-)
>> But I can be more quiet if the people here have a problem with
>> it and think my postings contain
>
>> no useful information ...
>
> Depends on the usefulness and correctness.

as you can see you too may choose to avoid correctness.  Usefulness is
important even if it is not perfectly correctly explained.  You could
make yourself more useful by giving useful answers as opposed to picking
on those that are not always correct but may still be useful.

Regards
Charles

--
Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
0
Charles
8/18/2006 12:55:25 AM
Thanks for the explanations and...ummm entertiaing banter. As I checked the
other machines I've set up I see that I'd done it correctly on the other
three, but it was a long time ago and I just didn't think things through
this time. What confused me was, in the past, when I had impropery cabled
the drives, one of them simply wouldn't show up. I'd not seen the delayed
write error before, so it took a day for my small brain to catch on.

"Charles C." <c.k.christacopoulos.removeme.@dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> I have a new X2 build. 2-15K Fujitsu drives. The 2nd drive (73G) never
>> installed correctly. I got lots of Windows Delayed Write and Device Not
>> Found errors. The drive seemed to be failing.
>>
>> Tonight I replaced it with another 73G drive; which immediately gave me
>> problems. The machine wouldn't boot with it attached. Fiddled around a
>> bit
>> to no avail; then I tried reversing the SCSI chain, putting the
>> terminator
>> right after the new drive rather than after the LSI adapter. That fixed
>> it,
>> so I swapped the original "failing" Fujitsu back in. No more errors. Fast
>> as
>> could be.
>
> Hi
>
> You seem to be suggesting you had the terminator in between the adapter
> (LSI) and the first or second disk.  You should have the terminator
> right at the end of the cable (last connector of the cable).
>
> If it helps a little
>
> Regards
> Charles
>

>> I've set up half a dozen scsi installations before and never came across
>> this problem. Sometimes the machine won't boot until I rearrange things,
>> but
>> I've never had a machine that ran, but with constant errors.
>>
>> Why did changing ther termination position fix it? I'd like to find a
>> little
>> practical knowledge here, as opposed to my usual fumbling upon the
>> solution
>> way of doing things. Thanks...
>>

> --
> Please remove _removeme_ to reply.

0
Dennis

Cursor load giving SQL0668 error
UDB Version 8.2 FP7 (r"DB2 v8.1.1.128", "s061108", "U810098", and FixPak "14".) 64 bit running on AIX 5.3. We were getting the SQL0668 error below so we put the status sql into the script to see the table state right before the cursor/load ran. The table did not seem to be in a bad state. We switched this cursor/ load back to a regular export/load and the issue went away. We are doing several cursor loads on some 52Million row tables after this with no issues. Does anyone have a clue as to why this was occurring? select tabname,st...

Connecting Iyonix to Windows 7 Pro
I have been using LanMan98 (v2.04) for ages on my Iyonix with RISC OS 5.16 and have had no difficulty in connecting to Windows XP Pro PCs but I have just tried to connect to a Windows 7 Pro 64bit PC but just get the error: 'Error when reading: LanMan98#notypes::W7PC.$ - Connection down' when I click the LanMan98 icon on the icon bar without it opening the filer window. The icon is displaying the correct name - W7PC. I think I have set all the right options on the W7PC. eg. In the 'Advanced sharing settings' (Home/Work and Public profiles): o Turn on network disc...

=?windows-1256?B?yuMgx93KysfNIOPkys/sIMfh2szj7CDT5t3KIA==?= =?windows-1256?B?0u3H0crfINTR3SDh5Mc=?=
yuMgx93KysfNIOPkys/sIMfh2szj7CDT5t3KINLtx9HK3yDU0d0g4eTHCgoKCtLm0eTHINrh7CDj 5MrP7CDH4drM4+wg0+bdyiDhys3V4SDa4ewg3+Eg48cg5eYgzM/tzyDI0cfjzCDH4drHyCDH3eHH 4wrV5tEKCtTH5c8gyOTd098KCmh0dHA6Ly9hbGFnbXkuYWxtc2xvbC5uZXQ= ...

Xst:1895 Error
Hi. I've got a vhdl-code which simulates fine, but doesn't work correctly on the fpga. The synthesis tells me about the following problem: WARNING:Xst:1895 - Due to other FF/Latch trimming, FF/Latch <out64_k_60> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <split128bit>. The same for several other signals of this bus. OK, it might be, that some signals are constant 0, but where is the problem? ----------------- process (CLK100M, reset) begin -- process if reset = '1' then out64_k <= (others => '0'); out64_d ...

[News] More Price-Fixing Stories
Samsung US executive gets 8 months for price-fixing ,----[ Quote ] | A marketing executive with the U.S. unit of Samsung Electronics Co. | Ltd. agreed to plead guilty and serve prison time for taking part in | price-fixing in the computer memory chip business, the U.S. Justice | Department said Thursday. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060921/1350150.html?.v=1 Reminds me of: Lawsuit Against Microsoft Set for Court ,----[ Quote ] | The case claims Microsoft violated Iowa's antitrust laws and harmed | customers by illegally overcharging for its software, by denying class | members free ...

Sr. SAP resource
hi, I am looking for a Sr.SAP with good knowledge in Fixed Assets / SME. if suitable kindly mail me your resume and rates. Email your resume to : carmelc@gmail.com. REQUIREMENT: Sr. SAP Resource -- Fixed Assets GURU // SME NOT looking for an AP/AR resource w/some fixed assets Rate: Best Start: ASAP (this week or early next is required) Duration: 9/30/05 w/possibility of extension Location: OH. ...

HWGUI
Hi All, When I try compile any sample occur error: Error: Unresolved external '_hwg_wstrget' referenced from C:\HWGUI\LIB \HWGUI.LIB|window In make_b32.log occur warning: bcc32 -c -Iinclude;c:\xHarbour\include -5 -6 -d -D__WIN32__ -g255 - DHWG_USE_POINTER_ITEM -oobj\b32\window.obj source\window.c Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland source\window.c: Warning W8065 source\window.c 1440: Call to function 'hwg_wstrget' with no prototype in function HB_FUN_ANSITOUNICODE Regards from Poland Grzegorz On 2 out, 06:41, wgreg66 <grzes...@wp.pl> wro...

writing binary data whose size exceeds unsinged it
hello, it's me again. i was implementing a DBMS, as usual, where i needed to call fwrite using 8-byte integer as the length of the data to be written ( just in case there is data bigger than 2 GB, which may happen ). The problem is that fwrite takes a size_t ( an unsiged 4-byte integer ), not 8-byte integer. i also can't play the trick of dividing the length between the _Size and _Count parameters because their multiplication is also unsigned int ( in the fwrite implementation ). My question is, does there exist any IO function that writes data whose length requires 8-byte integer ? ...

When is M$ meta file fix(just issued) not a fix?
With the recent "fix" of course it appears. http://www.techweb.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=175802806&pgno =1 ust days after Microsoft rushed out a patch for a bug in Windows Metafile (WMF) image processing, a security company has warned customers that multiple memory corruption vulnerabilities in the same rendering engine could leave users open to attack. "An attacker may leverage these issues to carry out a denial-of-service attack or execute arbitrary code," Symantec said in a vulnerability alert issued through its DeepSight Management System. The...

Sockets with fixed IP address
I am developing and testing a dedicated LAN composed of just two Windows computers with Ethernet adapters. The application will deal with UDP only. No TCP. For various reasons, I would like to bypass the DNS stuff and use a statically defined IP address in the "server" side of the UDP connection. (The "server" will eventually be replaced with an embedded Ethernet device with limited resources.) The trouble is, I seem unable to use the Windows Sockets API to force a fixed IP address (10.10.6.100) in the "server". Evidence is that after calling bind a...

Windows XP optimization tricks
Great windows xp tips and tricks http://windowsxpsp2pro.blogspot.com In article <1185973241.979235.252900@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, <travolta003@gmail.com> wrote: > Great windows xp tips and tricks http://windowsxpsp2pro.blogspot.com Why don't you post this crap where people give a shit? On 2007-08-01 08:39:55 -0500, Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> said: > Why don't you post this crap where people give a shit? Did you have to quote his entire post, including the URL he's spamming, in your reply? -- Apply rot13 to my e-mail address ...

InDesign CS3 Mac vs Windows versions
I use and love InDesign CS3. I've had zero problems with it since getting it about six months ago. A friend on Windows (XP) is planning to get it and is apprehensive because of mixed reviews (mostly negative, according to him). Is there anyone on this group who uses both versions and can give me the scoop on the performance and stability of the Windows version (preferably someone who uses XP, not Vista)? In article <magdalenabung-243C8B.14125323052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>, magdalena <magdalenabung@comcast.net> wrote: > I use and love InDesign CS3. I've had zero...

Fixing the fix fixes.
Sad. Someday in the distant future, they might get it right. Maybe with OSXII - but it's doubtful. ...

parallel interpreter/db problem. transaction didn't fix.
mysql_query("START TRANSACTION", $link2); $q2=mysql_query("SELECT pictures.pid AS pid FROM pictures,counter WHERE pictures.pid>counter.pid LIMIT 1", $link2); if ($row2=mysql_fetch_assoc($q2)) { mysql_query("UPDATE counter SET pid=$row2[pid]", $link2); $n=$row2['pid']; } else { //reached end of table. mysql_query("UPDATE counter SET pid=1", $link2); $n=1; } mysql_free_result($q2); mysql_query("COMMIT", $link2); the transaction makes no difference in the outcome. I've even tried locking the tables, but tha...

=?windows-1256?B?zOPt2iDK0c/Px8og3uPRIMfh5Mft4SDTx8ogxw==?= =?windows-1256?B?4czP7c/JIDIwMTMgLSBOaWxlU2F0?=
zOPt2iDK0c/Px8og3uPRIMfh5Mft4SDTx8ogx+HMz+3PySAyMDEzIC0gTmlsZVNhdAoKx+HK0c/P IMfhzM/tzyDh3uTHySDfx9HK5uQg5Mrm5tHfIN7kx8kgx+HH2N3H4SDH4dHHxtrJIENhcnRvb24g TmV0d29yawpBcmFiaWMgMjAxMwoKaHR0cDovL25hdGlndGFzN2FiLmJsb2dzcG90LmNvbS8yMDEz LzA0L2NhcnRvb24tbmV0d29yay1hcmFiaWMtMjAxMy5odG1sCsrRz88g3uTHySDY7ebRIMfhzOTJ IDEg5iAyINrh7CDH4d7j0SDkx+3hINPHyiAyMDEzCgpodHRwOi8vbmF0aWd0YXM3YWIuYmxvZ3Nw b3QuY29tLzIwMTMvMDQvMS0yLTIwMTMuaHRtbArK0c/PIN7kx8kgbm9vbiBraWRzIOHhx9jdx+Eg 3uTHySDMz+3PySDa4ewgx+Hkx+3h08fKIDIwMTMKCmh0dHA6Ly9uYXRpZ3RhczdhYi5ibG9nc3Bv dC5jb20vMjAxMy8wNC9ub29uLWtpZHMtMjAxMy5odG1sCsrRz8/Hyi...

Windows XP change my boot partition
I have Installed Gentoo with GRUB for multiboot. I have Windows in /dev/sda1 and the boot partition in /dev/sda2 (this is the bootable partition) with GRUB installed on the last one. Any tyme I start windows it change the bootable partion in /dev/sda1, so on the next startup i can't use GRUB. On May 28, 10:06 am, Giordano Maestro <giordanomaes...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have Installed Gentoo with GRUB for multiboot. > > I have Windows in /dev/sda1 and the boot partition in /dev/sda2 (this > is the bootable partition) with GRUB installed on the last one. > > Any ty...

COBOL Compiler for Windows
Dear All, I am looking for a Free COBOL IDE and Compiler for Windows XP. Regards, On 28 Apr, 11:31, amir <ahsha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > I am looking for a Free COBOL IDE and Compiler for Windows XP. > Regards, www.adtools.com used to provide a free v3 of Fujitsu Cobol and if you look on the Microfocus website you can download the personal edition of v5 of their compiler. On Apr 28, 10:31=A0pm, amir <ahsha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > I am looking for a Free COBOL IDE and Compiler for Windows XP. > Regards, http://www.adtools.com/student/index....

Fixing fixes
OSX 10.5.2 - a really great OS- BWAHAAAHAAAHAAAA. I personally like the "Scotch Tape Fix. Apple confirms "closed-lid" issue is a known bug Slow LAN transfers under Mac OS X 10.5.2 Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.x), PowerBook users continue suffer from missing first letter Mac OS X 10.5.2/Leopard Graphics Update 1.0: Missing display resolutions and wake-from sleep Leopard Graphics Update 1.0: Repeatable freezes, uninstalling fixes Apple TV 2.0: More fixes for problems updating Aperture 1.5.x does not benefit from Mac OS X 10.5.2 RAW improvements Boosting iPhone signal streng...

Dynamically allocating a fixed-size multidimensional array?
Actually, I'm not even sure it's possible to dynamically allocate a fixed size one dimensional array. So here's the problem: I have a type 'board' defined as so: typedef char board[8][8] and I am supposed to write a function with the following prototype: Board *new_board(); which would require me to use malloc for allocation. I've tried many different things that I'd be ashamed to post here but have found no solution. The problem is that it doesn't seem possible to cast a char* or char** to a fixed length array (e.g. char[8] or char[8][8] or board in this cas...

[News] GNU/Linux Rises While Windows Vista is Killing Microsoft

=?windows-1256?B?ytHPz8fKIMzj7dog3uTmx8ogx+HN7cflIMfh4w==?= =?windows-1256?B?1dHt5SAyMDEzINrh7CDH4eTH7eEg08fK?=
ytHPz8fKIMzj7dog3uTmx8ogx+HN7cflIMfh49XR7eUgMjAxMyDa4ewgx+Hkx+3hINPHygoKaHR0 cDovL25hdGlndGFzN2FiLmJsb2dzcG90LmNvbS8yMDEzLzAzLzIwMTNfODg4MC5odG1s ...

IE and window.name
Hi, excuse me in advance for my poor english... Do you know how solve my problem ? I have "Page1.htm" : <HTML><BODY> <A href="Page2.htm" target=TOTO>window TOTO</A> </BODY></HTML> and I have "Page2.htm" : <HTML><HEAD> <SCRIPT> function affName(i) { alert( i +" - "+ window.name ); } affName(1); window.name = "TITI"; affName(2); </SCRIPT> </HEAD><BODY onload="affName(3);"> <A href="javascript:affName(4)">window.name ?</A> &...

Trouble writing program to use modem in Dell Latitude XPi laptop
A few months ago I acquired a used Dell Latitude XPi laptop. I discovered the minicom program on it, which works fine with the built-in modem, dialing numbers, establishing modem connection, exchanging data, etc. When it starts up it initializes the modem, and shows the following sequence of DC Hayes commands it apparently uses: AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0 But when I write my own program (in Java, using BeanShell to allow me to work interactively) to attempt to use the modem, I have problems: I discovered the modem is /dev/ttyS3, so I open input and output streams to that d...

Writing a SQL Query in Active Record?
Hi, I am using the following code snippet for connecting to SQL Server through Active Record: require 'rubygems' require 'active_record' ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection( :adapter => "sqlserver", :host => "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,8080" :username => "username" :password => "password" :database => "xyz_1008" ) Now, I want to execute a query in this sql server after getting successfully connected but am not aware how to do so. Can anyone give an example as to how we write the query say ("Select * from Name&qu...

Fixed Weight Sorting
Hi all, I'm trying to simulate a fixed weght machine. This machine has two entry points with grapes that have two different probabilistic distributions. Then a work center pick from several queues a combination so grape1+grape2=target+-tol. Anyone is familiar with this kind of work? Best Regards, Jaime ...