Plasmon 6100 SCSI problems/solutions/more problems

Layout:
-AHA2944 controller (latest drivers)
-Win XP (updated)
-AMD 64 CPU
-Plasmon 6100 Optical drive (SCSI)
-3GB memory
-Both IDE and SATA (RAID0) drives -same effect on either
-Updated Firmware

-Problem: After offloading two 12GB platters, from the Plasmon 6100, I
will get an error message while offloading the 3rd platter. "Error
writing .TFF" (Most of the data offloaded are TFF's). When I reboot, in
order to reset the SCSI drivers, the system goes into CHKDSK.
I was getting many errors before I cooled the system down via liquid
cool - which did wonders for the performance. But I still get the
occasional .TFF error.
Today, I received an error and I did the normal clean up but when
CHKDSK went into it's "mode" it said "Missing Master File" and it
appears as though my HD is a new drive that needs to be formated. I
lost all the data on it.

Theory: Is it possible that the cashe "over flowed," so to speak, and
began writing to the "Master File" on the hard drive which corrupt that
drive?

-Is it possible to save the data? I've tried a couple of things:
Norton's DiskDoctor and SpinRight, but both had no effect.
Any suggestions?

0
dbhaynes (2)
4/13/2005 1:11:00 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

"Terabyte" <dbhaynes@terabyteconversions.com> wrote in message
> Layout:
> -AHA2944 controller (latest drivers)
> -Win XP (updated)
> -AMD 64 CPU
> -Plasmon 6100 Optical drive (SCSI)
> -3GB memory
> -Both IDE and SATA (RAID0) drives -same effect on either
> -Updated Firmware
>
> -Problem: After offloading two 12GB platters, from the Plasmon 6100, I
> will get an error message while offloading the 3rd platter. "Error
> writing .TFF" (Most of the data offloaded are TFF's). When I reboot, in
> order to reset the SCSI drivers, the system goes into CHKDSK.
> I was getting many errors before I cooled the system down via liquid
> cool - which did wonders for the performance. But I still get the
> occasional .TFF error.

This doesn't sound like a SCSI issue at all. It sounds like you're
overclocking your system if it needs liquid cooling to sort-of-run. The
issues you describe can come from general system instability. Maybe your
memory isn't 100%. Maybe your CPU still runs too hot. Maybe your power
supply can't handle the load.

If the data is important to you, use a stock system, no overclock and proper
cooling to make it as stable as you can. With the number of drives you have
attached, make sure you have a large enough power supply to keep all power
lines stable.

Rob

0
Rob
4/13/2005 5:40:55 AM
Thanks for the input, Rob.
-The system is running at it's regular clockspeed. I do hundreds of GB
offloads which places the CPU in extreme working conditions (and I
thought my games gave my home PC a workout).
-As for water-cooled, it is better and more stable than what is
considered "proper" cooling (by todays standards). My CPU runs at 80
+/-. Much better than the 120's I was getting using a heatsink and a
fan. (These are actual temps taken directly off the CPU). I wish I
could "underclock" it.

-The data is extremely important, so what would you consider as a stock
system?

-I have three different set ups (Two are P4s and the other is the AMD
64; all with simular set-ups as listed above). And you are right, it
doesn't sound like a SCSI problem; however, the only time I receive any
errors is when I'm offloading using my SCSI. When I'm manipulating the
data there are no problems, although, it is a much bigger strain on my
CPU.
-My power supply's are: one PC uses a 600 while the other two use 480s.
(I should have listed in my original post)

-Thanks again, I will take a closer look at my systems setups.

0
Terabyte