SCSI adapter PCI bandwidth usage

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)

Thanks for any advice and comments!

0
Reply Cyrille 4/30/2006 7:00:15 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel" <wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net>
wrote:

>I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
>SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
>I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
>160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
>means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
>controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
>I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
>with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
>the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
>during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
>related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
>devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
>as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
>Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
>doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
>purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
>(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
>I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
>any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
>
>Thanks for any advice and comments!

There is no mechanism for controlling PCI bus bandwidth to individual agents.
0
Reply daytripper 4/30/2006 8:47:15 PM

On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel"
<wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> wrote:

>I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
>SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
>I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
>160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
>means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
>controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
>I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
>with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
>the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
>during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
>related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
>devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
>as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
>Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
>doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
>purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
>(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
>I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
>any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
>
>Thanks for any advice and comments!

You have liberally mixed SCSI bus speed with PCI bus speed. The two
are only slightly related. If your PCI bus can't keep up, it is
probably that the computer just doens't have the 'horsepower' to do
the job.

Although there are some priorities on the PCI bus, this is not
generally configurable by the user.

Regardless if both the drives and the CDR drive are on the scsi bus,
then PCI has nothgin to do with it...
0
Reply PeterD 5/1/2006 12:40:42 AM

My system is an AMD Athlon64 3500+ (runs at 2.2 Ghz) with 1GB corsair DDR400
(dual channel) memory (CAS 2.5). The MB also has 2 PCI buses (bus 0 and bus
1). The "horsepower" should be sufficient enough I think.
I'm sorry, I got confused with SCSI bus and PCI bus. But because the SCSI
controller is on the PCI bus, the data going in and out the SCSI bus is also
going necessarily through the PCI bus which has a limited bandwidth (about
133 MB/s I think).
I know only very little about SCSI, so correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks for your information!
Cyrille

"PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel"
> <wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> wrote:
>
> >I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD)
and a
> >SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> >I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set
at
> >160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
> >means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> >controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI
controller.
> >I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording
audio
> >with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I
lowered
> >the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> >during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> >related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> >devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to
save
> >as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> >Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> >doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> >purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> >(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> >I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD
has
> >any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> >Thanks for any advice and comments!
> >

> You have liberally mixed SCSI bus speed with PCI bus speed. The two
> are only slightly related. If your PCI bus can't keep up, it is
> probably that the computer just doens't have the 'horsepower' to do
> the job.
>
> Although there are some priorities on the PCI bus, this is not
> generally configurable by the user.
>
> Regardless if both the drives and the CDR drive are on the scsi bus,
> then PCI has nothgin to do with it...

0
Reply Cyrille 5/1/2006 5:48:15 AM

I understand, but if I limit the sync transfer rate in the SCSI bios (via
scsiselect) let's say from160 MB/s to 80 MB/s, then it will free up some PCI
bandwidth for other PCI devices (like the sound card). That what I figured
out with my audio recording tests. If I set it back to 160 MB/s for both the
SCSI controller and the SCSI HDD, I will get audio drop outs again. I agree
that I can't control the PCI bandwidth with the other PCI devices but it
seems like it's possible to do it at least through the SCSI controller by
limiting the sync transfer rate of SCSI devices.

That's what I thought logically, but since I know very little about SCSI,
correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your comment!
Cyrille

"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel"
<wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD)
and a
> >SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> >I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set
at
> >160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
> >means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> >controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI
controller.
> >I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording
audio
> >with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I
lowered
> >the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> >during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> >related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> >devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to
save
> >as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> >Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> >doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> >purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> >(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> >I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD
has
> >any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> >Thanks for any advice and comments!
>
> There is no mechanism for controlling PCI bus bandwidth to individual
agents.

0
Reply Cyrille 5/1/2006 6:15:09 AM

"PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message news:a4ma52tub105015bcuua3p17sj942kvo5k@4ax.com
> On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel" <wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> wrote:
>
> > I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
> > SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> > I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
> > 160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
> > means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> > controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
> > I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
> > with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
> > the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> > during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> > related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> > devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
> > as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> > Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> > doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> > purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> > (according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> > I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
> > any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> > Thanks for any advice and comments!
> >

> You have liberally mixed SCSI bus speed with PCI bus speed.

> The two are only slightly related.

Nope.

> If your PCI bus can't keep up, it is probably that the computer just
> doens't have the 'horsepower' to do the job.

Utter nonsense.

> Although there are some priorities on the PCI bus, this is not
> generally configurable by the user.

> Regardless if both the drives and the CDR drive are on the scsi bus,
> then PCI has nothgin to do with it...

That's not even a sentence.
0
Reply Folkert 5/1/2006 2:24:25 PM

The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently reads and writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter, rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning off write cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for a write operation to complete before doing the next read, but this will probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

--
                   Mike Walsh
            West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

What a load of bullshit. Pagefile IO is random and negligible.

"Mike Walsh" <spamscks@netrox.net> wrote in message news:445761EE.193AC3A5@netrox.net...

> The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of disk activity when you
don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently reads and writes to the page file. During this time the
SCSI adapter, rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning off write
cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for a write operation to complete before
doing the next read, but this will probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

0
Reply Eric 5/2/2006 3:12:10 PM

Actually, I have 3 HDD (2 IDE and 1 SCSI)
I exclusively use the SCSI disk for audio recordings.
The page file is split over the 3 disks. The bigger part are on the 2 IDE
disks. (according to Microsoft, this is the best way to handle page file on
XP. XP always uses first the page file on the disk that have the less
activity. That means when there's heavy writing and reading on the SCSI
disk, XP will use the 2 other disks first for paging)
That's the theory. Now, it doesn't means it's working as well as they say it
does.
I was thinking maybe I should only split the page file over the 2 IDE disks
to make sure no paging is performed on the SCSI disk while recording audio.
Also, for audio recording, it is usually recommended to disable write
caching because the writing is sequential and continuous (the buffer can't
handle properly so much data anyway for that long period of time when write
caching is enable). I have disabled the write cache on the SCSI disk only. I
know by doing so, I slow down the disk performance for other apps but audio
recording only needs the disk to write steadily. The speed is fast enough (I
get about 9 MB/s during sequential writing with write caching disabled). At
that rate I could in theory record more than 32 mono tracks @ 96khz - 24 bit
depth simultaneously. I never record more than 8 tracks at a time.

Thanks for the information. I will try removing the page file from the SCSI
disk and perform further tests with that setting. But I think it's safer to
keep the transfer rate of the SCSI disk and controller limited to 80 MB/s.

Cyrille

"Mike Walsh" <spamscks@netrox.net> wrote in message

> The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of
disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently reads and
writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter, rated at 160
MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning off write cache
will help the problem because the adapter will wait for a write operation to
complete before doing the next read, but this will probably hurt performance
more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

> Cyrille Briegel wrote:
> >
> > I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD)
and a
> > SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> > I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set
at
> > 160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which
would
> > means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> > controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI
controller.
> > I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording
audio
> > with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I
lowered
> > the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> > during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> > related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> > devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to
save
> > as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> > Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> > doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> > purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> > (according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> > I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD
has
> > any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> > Thanks for any advice and comments!
>
> --
>                    Mike Walsh
>             West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

0
Reply Cyrille 5/2/2006 4:52:55 PM

My main home PC has WinNT with three hard drives and it will in fact use the disk with the least activity for most of the paging. My laptop PC with WinXP and one drive will have bursts of disk activity (which I assume is page file activity) at inopportune times which will affect performance. I find it quite annoying that WinNT based OSs have a lot of page file activity even when there is plenty of free memory.

--
                   Mike Walsh
            West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

In message <445761EE.193AC3A5@netrox.net>, Mike Walsh
<spamscks@netrox.net> writes

>The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of
>disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently
>reads and writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter,
>rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning
>off write cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for
>a write operation to complete before doing the next read, but this will
>probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

"Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
swap space!

--
Jeremy Boden
0

"Jeremy Boden" <jeremy@jboden.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:iaIHjVBD8JWEFwPj@jboden.demon.co.uk
> In message <445761EE.193AC3A5@netrox.net>, Mike Walsh <spamscks@netrox.net> writes
> >
> > The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of
> > disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently
> > reads and writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter,
> > rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning
> > off write cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for
> > a write operation to complete before doing the next read, but this will
> > probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

> "Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
> Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
> swap space!

Yes Jeremy, that's what he said.
0
Reply Folkert 5/3/2006 12:50:03 PM

Could you explain more?

I have 1 GB of ram and page file is never in use during recording. I also
never run apps other than the recording software while recording. The
background services running are only the necessary ones for XP to run
properly (no antivirus scan or so). The task manager indicates that there's
plenty of extra physical memory available when I record (unless if I use
lots of virtual instruments, but that not the case at that moment).
Before, I used to have another system (same SCSI controller and disk, same
sound card and graphic card, but older MB, CPU (PIII 800 Ghz) and RAM (512
MB). I never experienced that problem even with half the ram and 3 times
less CPU power that I have now.
I just try to understand the reason. The only explaination I think of up to
now is that my new MB has more PCI devices than I used to have with my older
system (firewire, 2 USB 2.0, 2 Lan controller and maybe some other stuff I'm
not even aware of). I've already deactivated one of the 2 Lan controller in
the BIOS and other unnecessary ports or devices I never use.
That's why it makes me think of PCI bus congestion problem.
By the way my MB is K8N Neo2 platinum.

Thanks for the feedback!
Cyrille

> "Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
> Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
> swap space!
>
> --
> Jeremy Boden

0
Reply Cyrille 5/3/2006 5:39:15 PM

In message <e3apsi$7ns$1@netnews.hinet.net>, Cyrille Briegel
<wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> writes
>Could you explain more?
>
>I have 1 GB of ram and page file is never in use during recording. I also
>never run apps other than the recording software while recording. The
>background services running are only the necessary ones for XP to run
>properly (no antivirus scan or so). The task manager indicates that there's
>plenty of extra physical memory available when I record (unless if I use
>lots of virtual instruments, but that not the case at that moment).
>Before, I used to have another system (same SCSI controller and disk, same
>sound card and graphic card, but older MB, CPU (PIII 800 Ghz) and RAM (512
>MB). I never experienced that problem even with half the ram and 3 times
>less CPU power that I have now.
>I just try to understand the reason. The only explaination I think of up to
>now is that my new MB has more PCI devices than I used to have with my older
>system (firewire, 2 USB 2.0, 2 Lan controller and maybe some other stuff I'm
>not even aware of). I've already deactivated one of the 2 Lan controller in
>the BIOS and other unnecessary ports or devices I never use.
>That's why it makes me think of PCI bus congestion problem.
>By the way my MB is K8N Neo2 platinum.
>
>Thanks for the feedback!
>Cyrille
>
>> "Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
>> Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
>> swap space!

My comment was intended to show that trying to cause *more* disk I/O (by
getting rid of the write cache) could never be a sensible solution  -
indeed it reduces the performance of your whole SCSI subsystem.

What about the effect of the built-in soundcard?
What about the SATA & firewire connections?

--
Jeremy Boden
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

PCI SCSI adapter that supports booting from a CD.
Hello, I want to be able to boot from CD-ROM drive, and it seems that in order to do that I need a new PCI SCSI adapter. Here is my current hardware setup: Motherboard: Asus A7M266 PCI SCSI adapter: Dawicontrol DC-2964F (50 pin connector) CD-RW: PlexWriter 12/10/32s Essentially, the mentioned CD-RW is the only device connected to the SCSI bus, and it is probably not going to change in the foreseeable future, so speed is not important (because even with SCSI-1 my CD-RW will be able to reach it's maximum speed). The question is, what I have to look for in SCSI adapter so that I will ...

Sun Ultra 10 PCI SCSI Adapters
Hi, I am relatively new to the Sun family of machines and am trying to learn Solaris on an Ultra 10 Sparc which I have recently purchased. I was looking to add a SCSI tape drive and disk but am unsure of which cheaper SCSI adapters I could fit to this system in order to use SCSI devices such as the tape unit etc., mentioned above. I don't particularly want to spend hundreds of pounds but would look to try and source one via Ebay etc., Would appreciate some help on this. Thanks Kam Kam Panesar wrote: > I was looking to add a SCSI tape drive and disk but am unsure of which > ch...

connectivity of PCI dual ultra3 scsi host adapter
Hi, Can I connect a DDS4 tape drive to a PCI dual ultra3 scsi host adapter on our sun machine. Appreciate if someone can advise! Regards "mak" <co4770@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a6f69f9b.0410262230.6c36e8cf@posting.google.com... > Hi, > Can I connect a DDS4 tape drive to a PCI dual ultra3 scsi host adapter > on our sun machine. > Appreciate if someone can advise! the scsi protocol is backwards compatible, so this will work. you obviously won't get the benefit of the ultra 3 speed, but you wouldn't get it anyway as it's a tape device. only pro...

FS: Sun Dual Differential Ultra/Wide SCSI (PCI) Adapter
for sell never used Sun Dual Differential Ultra/Wide SCSI (PCI) Adapter http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/SCSI/SCSI_Diff_UltraSCSI_PCI.html make an offer ...

SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector
Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape system and a Dell PowerEdge 1850 but upon opening the PowerEdge up, I've discovered it's got PCI-E, not PCI-X as expected. PCI-E SCSI cards seem a little rare... Thanks, Rob. > Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra > 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape > system and a Dell PowerEdge 1850 but upon opening the PowerEdge...

Finding a SCSI PCI adapter card (25 pin external female) really this hard?
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but trying to find a replacement card for an Adaptec 1502AE is proving to be a royal pain in the neck. The card is an ISA, which I can't use with a newer m'board. Can anyone point me toward where I could find a good and cheap PCI card to connect a 25 pin SCSI cable to? On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 05:09:37 -0600, CA was in NJ <cainnj.cjb.net@cainnj.REVERSE_TO_REPLY__SPAMMERS_SHOT_ON_SIGHT> wrote: >Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but trying to find a >replacement card for an Adaptec 1502AE is proving to be a r...

Disk configuration on Physical buses of a PCI-X Dual Channel U320 SCSI RAID Adapter
We're running AIX 5.3.0 on an IBM p5-550 I have a total of eight 73.4GB disk drives; four on each of two Physical buses of the PCI-X Dual Channel U320 SCSI RAID Adapter. I will have four disks for one hdisk and the other four for another hdisk; both hdisks will be RAID 10. Question: Does it make a difference how the four disks for each hdisk is distributed on the RAID Adapter Physical buses? ie. Should all four be on the same Physical bus? Should two be on one Physical bus and two on the other? etc. Thanks, Denny Watkins Director Computer Services Morningside College 1501 Mo...

Re: HP A5159A PCI Dual Port FWD SCSI Host Bus Adapter configuration question
Dan - here is our configuration for the DLT8000 tapes we have. Hope this=0D= =0Ahelps you.=0D=0A=0D=0APATH: 1/12 LDEV= : =20=0D=0A ID: PAT_PCI_BC TYPE: BC = =20=0D=0APMGR: PCI_ELROY_MGR PMGRPRI: 2 =0D= =0ALMGR: MAXIOS: 0 =20=0D=0A=0D= =0APATH: 1/12/0 LDEV: =20=0D=0A I= D: PCI_DEVICE TYPE: BC =20=0D=0APMGR: PC= I_DEVICE_MGR PMGRPRI: 2 =...

IBM RS/6000 MCA SCSI Adapter vs. IBM PS/2 MCA SCSI Adapter
Hello, I found in my MCA repository a (seems to be) functionnal RS/6000 32bit SCSI Adapter. In my '80, I have a (what seems to be, again) original PS/2 SCSI Adapter, w/o cache. I found also a w/cache, but is faulty. May I get better performance, any improvement of any kind trying this RS/6000 Adapter, or is it not going to run at all...or will it be worse ? I have a 0661 type HDD, 320 MB in the SCSI Chain. Thanks ! Hum, as I see after some searches, it is RS/6000-only adapter, no ADF, not useable in a PS/2...Can someone confirm this ? The Godfather wrote: > Hello,...

SCSI: Does one need a special SCSI LVD adapter, over and above a SCSI card?
The computer, on my Debian linux home hard-wired five PC Ethernet network, on which I wish to add a SCSI hard disk for backup purposes, has an > I have an Iwill Side-2936UW-E SCSI adapter. This supports SCSI-1, SCSI-2, > Ultra SCSI, UYltra Wide SCSI peripherals; PCI Local bus spec revision 2.1 > compliance; 32 bit bus master DMA; scatter/gather supported. Several SCSI dirves -- 36gig to 50 gig -- are available at Ebay, that seem most suitable. Most are "LVD SCSI" drives; at least one Ebay retailer seems to imply that this might necessitate the use of some adapter, that h...

FS: various PCI/PCI-X SCSI HBAs, mostly Ultra320 SCSI LVD/SE and some FC (MMF/LC)
A large number of single- and dual-channel (3.3 V, mostly) PCI and PCI-X SCSI HBAs, also some FC (mostly 850 nm, MMF, LC transceivers and media). The majority is compatible with VMS, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux and Windows. Mostly LSI Logic 2000-series (with 1030, as in 53c1030) single- and dual-port non-RAID Ultra320 SCSI LVD/SE types with HD68 and VHDCI external connectors. Also several RAID, like HP/Compaq Smart Array 5300 and 6400 (both tested fine under SRM, for instance). At least one generic LSI Logic "PERC" (Dell, I believe) RAID controller. All the SCSI RAID HBAs come ...

SCSI HBA: PCI or PCI-e
I've a system which uses the: http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7320/X6DVL-EG2.cfm motherboard. I need to add SCSI to it. The one 64-bit 66MHz PCI (3.3V) slot is busy (with an 8 port SATA card). So I need a SCSI HBA that works under Linux and fits in either: * PCI-e slot * 32-bit 33MHz PCI (5V) slot I was all set to buy a nice LSI, but it uses PCI-X. Thanks... Andrew Andrew Gideon wrote: > I've a system which uses the: > > http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7320/X6DVL-EG2.cfm > > motherboard. I need to add SCSI to it....

New SCSI adapters and SD adapters
Note that new SCSI host adapters and SD card adapters are now available: http://shop.inventronik.de/store -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Dr. Uwe Seimet http://www.linkbylink.net/ ...

IDE-SCSI Case, FireWire-SCSI Adapter?
Has anyone had any success with those cases that turn IDE drives into external SCSI drives? Are they bootable? I want a SCSI drive that I can use with my 6500 and iBook -- do FireWire-SCSI adapters work well, or at least better than USB-SCSI adapters? -- Nullibicity http://www.nullibicity.com/ Nullibicity <nullibicity-news@SPAMBLOCKnullibicity.com.invalid> wrote: > Has anyone had any success with those cases that turn IDE drives into > external SCSI drives? Are they bootable? Yes, provided the machine you are using has a bootable SCSI controller (all onboard S...

SCSI scanner, FW-to-SCSI adapter, iBook G4???
I have an old Olympus ES-10 SCSI film scanner that served me well with a SCSI-equipped Mac running OS 9 and Photoshop 4. My current Mac is an iBook G4 that runs OS X 10.4 and will not boot into OS 9. Do I have any hope of using this scanner through a FireWire SCSI adapter while in Classic mode? -- To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate" "H.B. Elkins" <hbelkins@mis.net.restrictorplate> wrote in message news:er50eu05u8@drn.newsguy.com... > I have an old Olympus ES-10 SCSI film scanner that served me well with a > SCSI-equipped Mac running OS 9 an...

SCSI ADAPTERS
I'm quite aware that Andre Fachat created a SCSI Driver a few years back for a C-64 using an Amiga interface, but I was wondering if there was a way to make an "EXTREMELY BASIC" SCSI Card for the C64 using only a few components that would allow for me to load, run, list, save, and change partitions ONLY from it without having to "TEAR APART" An Amiga! Any ideas out there? Charles>8-Bit Designs ...

Bandwidth usage
How can one check what the bandwidth usage on a server is. I have this solaris 8 server that seems to have a lot of load - just a network traffic load. It has a 100mbps connection. I need to know what persentage of this bandwidth is being used. dmz_012@yahoo.com (DMZ) wrote in <3bbcc8f6.0311121315.42e70e1b@posting.google.com>: > > How can one check what the bandwidth usage on a server is. I have this > solaris 8 server that seems to have a lot of load - just a network > traffic load. It has a 100mbps connection. I need to know what > persentage of this bandwidth is bei...

SCSI adapter?
I have a SCSI card, which lspci says is an "Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW/D / AIC-7881U (rev 01)". It uses aic-7xxx.o (2.4.26). Its external port has 50(? 68?) contacts. I don't know what it's called, but it's short and wide, and it looks like a mating plug would be held into it by hooks, a pair on each end. (Never used it, not sure.) I also have a Microtek Scanmaker II, which has a Centronics 50 on it (actually a pair of them), and it usually connects to the host (formerly a Macintosh) through a cable whose other end is a DB-25. Those cables are easy to find; I have several...

SCSI Adapter?
Hi everyone. I want to connect my SCSI scanner (25 pin) to a 68 pin ATTO card that I will put in my G4 Mirror. I saw a 25F 68M adapter plug for sale, but it says it's for 68 Pin SCSI 3. Do I need to be concerned about the "3"? Is the ATTO card SCSI 3? Thanks. On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Michael L Kankiewicz wrote: > > Hi everyone. I want to connect my SCSI scanner (25 pin) to a 68 pin ATTO > card that I will put in my G4 Mirror. I saw a 25F 68M adapter plug for sale, > but it says it's for 68 Pin SCSI 3. Do I need to be concerned about the "3"? &...

SCSI adapter
Can 68-pin SCSI drive work with Amiga Cyberstorm SCSI (50 pin) using adapter? >Can 68-pin SCSI drive work with Amiga Cyberstorm SCSI (50 pin) using >adapter? I forgot to mention; drive is IBM DCAS34330 (SCSI3 FAST20 wide). Please reply ASAP. Orange <orange@drenik.net_REMOVE> wrote: >>Can 68-pin SCSI drive work with Amiga Cyberstorm SCSI (50 pin) using >>adapter? > I forgot to mention; drive is IBM DCAS34330 (SCSI3 FAST20 wide). > Please reply ASAP. Yes, it works, just use the right adapter. Ciao, Alfred ...

PCI bandwidth?
Hi all, I'm writing a little chunk of kernel code that writes data to a PCI device. I've tried this code on several machines and the results are disappointing, despite the fact that the assembly dump of the .o reveals what should be very fast code, as in write-write-write and nothing else. However the performance I'm getting is exactly one half of what I thought PCI was capable of, i.e. I'm getting 16 writes per microsecond instead of 33 per microsecond. Q1: Is there something about PCI that maybe would reduce the bandwidth? Keep in mind I've run this c...

Which SCSI Adapter
I am considering installing Freebsd to a scsi drive and was wondering which adapters freebsd support Jaxs <jaxz@aapt.net.au> wrote: > I am considering installing Freebsd to a scsi drive and was wondering which > adapters freebsd support Have you checked the hardware notes? <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-i386.html> Replace 'i386' by the architecture you plan on using. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup. ...

33Mhz and 66MHz PCI slots and PCI-SCSI HBAs and StorEdge 3310s
On the 280R, PCI slot 1 is 66Mhz and the rest ( slots 2 to 4 ) are 33 Mhz. On slot 1 and slot 3 are PCI-SCSI HBAs ( QLogic ISP10160 ) with a StorEdge 3310 attached to them. Both arrays are in single-bus configuration. I am mirroring between the two arrays using DiskSuite. Now because only Slot 1 is 66Mhz, one can therefore notice that 3310 attached to Slot 1 is significantly faster: *) LED Lights on drive blinks faster tham LED lights on drive on the other array *) Cache Status is usually 24% dirty on array connected to Slot1, while cache status is always Clean on array connected to Slot3. ...

FS: HIPPI Serial adapter (XIO) and ATM OC3 adapter (PCI)
I have the following adapters for sale: - XT-HIPPI-800-SER(-M) - Fore PCA-200. The first one is an XIO HIPPI Serial module (SGI part number 030-0968-004) for Onyx2 and Origin 2000. The second one is a 155 Mbps ATM OC3 card for PCI bus. Both will be removed from a working Onyx2. I will entertain sensible offers at the e-mail address below. -- Marko Havu <Marko.Havu@ REPLY DOESN'T WORK. Mediavec Ky havutuote.fi> Please use this address instead. ...