SCSI adapter PCI bandwidth usage

I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)

Thanks for any advice and comments!

0
Cyrille
4/30/2006 7:00:15 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2471 articles. 1 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel" <wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net>
wrote:

>I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
>SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
>I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
>160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
>means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
>controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
>I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
>with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
>the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
>during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
>related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
>devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
>as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
>Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
>doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
>purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
>(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
>I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
>any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
>
>Thanks for any advice and comments!

There is no mechanism for controlling PCI bus bandwidth to individual agents.
0
daytripper
4/30/2006 8:47:15 PM
On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel"
<wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> wrote:

>I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
>SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
>I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
>160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
>means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
>controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
>I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
>with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
>the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
>during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
>related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
>devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
>as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
>Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
>doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
>purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
>(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
>I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
>any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
>
>Thanks for any advice and comments!

You have liberally mixed SCSI bus speed with PCI bus speed. The two
are only slightly related. If your PCI bus can't keep up, it is
probably that the computer just doens't have the 'horsepower' to do
the job.

Although there are some priorities on the PCI bus, this is not
generally configurable by the user.

Regardless if both the drives and the CDR drive are on the scsi bus,
then PCI has nothgin to do with it...
0
PeterD
5/1/2006 12:40:42 AM
My system is an AMD Athlon64 3500+ (runs at 2.2 Ghz) with 1GB corsair DDR400
(dual channel) memory (CAS 2.5). The MB also has 2 PCI buses (bus 0 and bus
1). The "horsepower" should be sufficient enough I think.
I'm sorry, I got confused with SCSI bus and PCI bus. But because the SCSI
controller is on the PCI bus, the data going in and out the SCSI bus is also
going necessarily through the PCI bus which has a limited bandwidth (about
133 MB/s I think).
I know only very little about SCSI, so correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks for your information!
Cyrille

"PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel"
> <wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> wrote:
>
> >I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD)
and a
> >SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> >I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set
at
> >160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
> >means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> >controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI
controller.
> >I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording
audio
> >with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I
lowered
> >the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> >during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> >related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> >devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to
save
> >as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> >Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> >doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> >purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> >(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> >I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD
has
> >any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> >Thanks for any advice and comments!
> >

> You have liberally mixed SCSI bus speed with PCI bus speed. The two
> are only slightly related. If your PCI bus can't keep up, it is
> probably that the computer just doens't have the 'horsepower' to do
> the job.
>
> Although there are some priorities on the PCI bus, this is not
> generally configurable by the user.
>
> Regardless if both the drives and the CDR drive are on the scsi bus,
> then PCI has nothgin to do with it...

0
Cyrille
5/1/2006 5:48:15 AM
I understand, but if I limit the sync transfer rate in the SCSI bios (via
scsiselect) let's say from160 MB/s to 80 MB/s, then it will free up some PCI
bandwidth for other PCI devices (like the sound card). That what I figured
out with my audio recording tests. If I set it back to 160 MB/s for both the
SCSI controller and the SCSI HDD, I will get audio drop outs again. I agree
that I can't control the PCI bandwidth with the other PCI devices but it
seems like it's possible to do it at least through the SCSI controller by
limiting the sync transfer rate of SCSI devices.

That's what I thought logically, but since I know very little about SCSI,
correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your comment!
Cyrille

"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel"
<wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD)
and a
> >SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> >I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set
at
> >160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
> >means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> >controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI
controller.
> >I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording
audio
> >with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I
lowered
> >the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> >during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> >related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> >devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to
save
> >as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> >Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> >doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> >purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> >(according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> >I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD
has
> >any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> >Thanks for any advice and comments!
>
> There is no mechanism for controlling PCI bus bandwidth to individual
agents.

0
Cyrille
5/1/2006 6:15:09 AM
"PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message news:a4ma52tub105015bcuua3p17sj942kvo5k@4ax.com
> On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:00:15 +0800, "Cyrille Briegel" <wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> wrote:
>
> > I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD) and a
> > SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> > I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set at
> > 160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which would
> > means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> > controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI controller.
> > I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording audio
> > with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I lowered
> > the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> > during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> > related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> > devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to save
> > as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> > Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> > doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> > purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> > (according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> > I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD has
> > any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> > Thanks for any advice and comments!
> >

> You have liberally mixed SCSI bus speed with PCI bus speed.

> The two are only slightly related.

Nope.

> If your PCI bus can't keep up, it is probably that the computer just
> doens't have the 'horsepower' to do the job.

Utter nonsense.

> Although there are some priorities on the PCI bus, this is not
> generally configurable by the user.

> Regardless if both the drives and the CDR drive are on the scsi bus,
> then PCI has nothgin to do with it...

That's not even a sentence.
0
Folkert
5/1/2006 2:24:25 PM
The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently reads and writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter, rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning off write cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for a write operation to complete before doing the next read, but this will probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

--
                   Mike Walsh
            West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

"Mike Walsh" <spamscks@netrox.net> wrote in message news:445761EE.193AC3A5@netrox.net...

> The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of disk activity when you
don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently reads and writes to the page file. During this time the
SCSI adapter, rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning off write
cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for a write operation to complete before
doing the next read, but this will probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

0
Eric
5/2/2006 3:12:10 PM
Actually, I have 3 HDD (2 IDE and 1 SCSI)
I exclusively use the SCSI disk for audio recordings.
The page file is split over the 3 disks. The bigger part are on the 2 IDE
disks. (according to Microsoft, this is the best way to handle page file on
XP. XP always uses first the page file on the disk that have the less
activity. That means when there's heavy writing and reading on the SCSI
disk, XP will use the 2 other disks first for paging)
That's the theory. Now, it doesn't means it's working as well as they say it
does.
I was thinking maybe I should only split the page file over the 2 IDE disks
to make sure no paging is performed on the SCSI disk while recording audio.
Also, for audio recording, it is usually recommended to disable write
caching because the writing is sequential and continuous (the buffer can't
handle properly so much data anyway for that long period of time when write
caching is enable). I have disabled the write cache on the SCSI disk only. I
know by doing so, I slow down the disk performance for other apps but audio
recording only needs the disk to write steadily. The speed is fast enough (I
get about 9 MB/s during sequential writing with write caching disabled). At
that rate I could in theory record more than 32 mono tracks @ 96khz - 24 bit
depth simultaneously. I never record more than 8 tracks at a time.

Thanks for the information. I will try removing the page file from the SCSI
disk and perform further tests with that setting. But I think it's safer to
keep the transfer rate of the SCSI disk and controller limited to 80 MB/s.

Cyrille

"Mike Walsh" <spamscks@netrox.net> wrote in message

> The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of
disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently reads and
writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter, rated at 160
MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning off write cache
will help the problem because the adapter will wait for a write operation to
complete before doing the next read, but this will probably hurt performance
more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

> Cyrille Briegel wrote:
> >
> > I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller with a SCSI Ultra160 HDD (LVD)
and a
> > SCSI CD writer (SCSI-3)
> > I'd like to know if the SCSI controller "reserve" the PCI bandwidth (set
at
> > 160 for the controller and the HDD and 20 for the CD writer). Which
would
> > means that even if the HDD is not reading or writing anything, the
> > controller still use the total PCI bandwidth (160) of the SCSI
controller.
> > I have a doubt about that because I had some drop outs while recording
audio
> > with a sound card with the SCSI controller and the HDD set at 160. I
lowered
> > the value to 80 for both of them and there was no more audio drop outs
> > during recording. That make me think that the drop outs were directly
> > related with PCI bus congestion. Since I already have several other PCI
> > devices (firewire, USB, LAN, sound card) in my system, I really need to
save
> > as much PCI bandwidth as possible.
> > Lowering the value to 80 (instead of 160) for my HDD and the controller
> > doesn't affect the audio recording (it's still fast enough for that
> > purpose). But for other applications, I still loose some HDD speed
> > (according to HDD benchmarks, mainly for the burst speed)
> > I also would like to know if disabling write caching (or not) of the HDD
has
> > any effects on the PCI bandwidth (use more or less?)
> >
> > Thanks for any advice and comments!
>
> --
>                    Mike Walsh
>             West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

0
Cyrille
5/2/2006 4:52:55 PM
My main home PC has WinNT with three hard drives and it will in fact use the disk with the least activity for most of the paging. My laptop PC with WinXP and one drive will have bursts of disk activity (which I assume is page file activity) at inopportune times which will affect performance. I find it quite annoying that WinNT based OSs have a lot of page file activity even when there is plenty of free memory.

--
                   Mike Walsh
            West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

>The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of
>disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently
>reads and writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter,
>rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning
>off write cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for
>a write operation to complete before doing the next read, but this will
>probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

"Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
swap space!

--
Jeremy Boden
0
"Jeremy Boden" <jeremy@jboden.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:iaIHjVBD8JWEFwPj@jboden.demon.co.uk
> In message <445761EE.193AC3A5@netrox.net>, Mike Walsh <spamscks@netrox.net> writes
> >
> > The SCSI adapter does not reserve bandwidth but there could be a lot of
> > disk activity when you don't expect it, e.g. when WinXP frequently
> > reads and writes to the page file. During this time the SCSI adapter,
> > rated at 160 MB/s will saturate the PCI bus, rated at 133 MB/s. Turning
> > off write cache will help the problem because the adapter will wait for
> > a write operation to complete before doing the next read, but this will
> > probably hurt performance more than limiting speed to 80 MB/s.

> "Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
> Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
> swap space!

Yes Jeremy, that's what he said.
0
Folkert
5/3/2006 12:50:03 PM
Could you explain more?

I have 1 GB of ram and page file is never in use during recording. I also
never run apps other than the recording software while recording. The
background services running are only the necessary ones for XP to run
properly (no antivirus scan or so). The task manager indicates that there's
plenty of extra physical memory available when I record (unless if I use
lots of virtual instruments, but that not the case at that moment).
Before, I used to have another system (same SCSI controller and disk, same
sound card and graphic card, but older MB, CPU (PIII 800 Ghz) and RAM (512
MB). I never experienced that problem even with half the ram and 3 times
less CPU power that I have now.
I just try to understand the reason. The only explaination I think of up to
now is that my new MB has more PCI devices than I used to have with my older
system (firewire, 2 USB 2.0, 2 Lan controller and maybe some other stuff I'm
not even aware of). I've already deactivated one of the 2 Lan controller in
the BIOS and other unnecessary ports or devices I never use.
That's why it makes me think of PCI bus congestion problem.
By the way my MB is K8N Neo2 platinum.

Thanks for the feedback!
Cyrille

> "Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
> Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
> swap space!
>
> --
> Jeremy Boden

0
Cyrille
5/3/2006 5:39:15 PM
In message <e3apsi$7ns$1@netnews.hinet.net>, Cyrille Briegel
<wanhua69@ms56.hinet.net> writes
>Could you explain more?
>
>I have 1 GB of ram and page file is never in use during recording. I also
>never run apps other than the recording software while recording. The
>background services running are only the necessary ones for XP to run
>properly (no antivirus scan or so). The task manager indicates that there's
>plenty of extra physical memory available when I record (unless if I use
>lots of virtual instruments, but that not the case at that moment).
>Before, I used to have another system (same SCSI controller and disk, same
>sound card and graphic card, but older MB, CPU (PIII 800 Ghz) and RAM (512
>MB). I never experienced that problem even with half the ram and 3 times
>less CPU power that I have now.
>I just try to understand the reason. The only explaination I think of up to
>now is that my new MB has more PCI devices than I used to have with my older
>system (firewire, 2 USB 2.0, 2 Lan controller and maybe some other stuff I'm
>not even aware of). I've already deactivated one of the 2 Lan controller in
>the BIOS and other unnecessary ports or devices I never use.
>That's why it makes me think of PCI bus congestion problem.
>By the way my MB is K8N Neo2 platinum.
>
>Thanks for the feedback!
>Cyrille
>
>> "Turning off write cache will help the problem"?
>> Sounds like the problem is insufficient memory and consequent use of
>> swap space!

My comment was intended to show that trying to cause *more* disk I/O (by
getting rid of the write cache) could never be a sensible solution  -
indeed it reduces the performance of your whole SCSI subsystem.

What about the effect of the built-in soundcard?
What about the SATA & firewire connections?

--
Jeremy Boden
0

configuring blue thoot adapter
hi i have installed ubuntu6.60 on my pc and i have nokia 6600 with GPRS connection and i want to use internet on my pc using my usb bluetooth adapter. can u help me to configure it for ununtu? "vishal" <vishal.ecb2005@gmail.com> writes: > hi i have installed ubuntu6.60 on my pc and i have nokia 6600 with > GPRS connection and i want to use internet on my pc using my usb > bluetooth adapter. > can u help me to configure it for ununtu? see here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=111455 It's not easy or for the faint hearted. Or maybe even for your...

procedure how to find out if Debian supports the Adaptec SCSI Card 29320ALP (AIC-7902 A)
Hello, in a few days I intend to install Debain on a machine with an SCSI Adaptec 29320ALP(AIC-7902A)(HostRAID=99 RAID 0, 1, and 10) and 2 disks =3D RAID1. I googled for that type of adapter("29320ALP") and "Debian" and found some Usenet records of users reporting problems with that adapter in an IBM346 rack server, dated in 2004. What is the additional recommended procedure to find out, if Debian supports that SCSI card? Any tip is appreciated very much. Thank you! John By the way: SUSE and RedHat drivers are available for that adapter.. On Thursday 15 December ...

Ultra160 SCSI problems
I have just tried upgrading the SCSI card in my system, but without much success... I have an LSI 53c896 dual-channel Ultra2 card now (a Winfast something). One channel is used for a SEAGATE ST373207LW disk and an IBM DNES-309170W disk. The other channel is used for a tape drive, a CD-writer and an old disk. When I test the disk speed with sysbench, the transfer speed of the Seagate is very close to the 80MB/s limit of the Ultra2 bus, so I have been looking for an Ultra160 card. Today I tried installing an LSI21003 card - Ultra160 dual channel using a 53c1010-33 chip. The system w...

Problems With Accton EN 2242 Serice MiniPCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
I have an Acer Aspire 1200 series laptop, installed mandrake Linux 10.0, worked fine. Connected to the internet through my desktop (running Windows XP Pro internet connection sharing) fine. However after rebooting the Ethernet adapter failed to initialise so I cannot get a network connection. Reboot the same laptop in windows XP home edition and the connection works fine. Any ideas? -- Julian R. Hirst Tel. 0870 748 0402 Mob. 07838 119 330 More information When I run "ifup eth0" I get the following message after a long pause: /sbin/ifup: line 433: 2869 Hangup /etc/init.d...

Apple SCSI Revisions
Does anyone know how to tell the revision of an apple High Speed SCSI Card? Thanks, Chris <Chrisv@nowhere.org> wrote in message news:10lrntq6ue3gm27@corp.supernews.com... > Does anyone know how to tell the revision of an apple High Speed SCSI Card? I think there is only one version of the HS card. ...

SCSI to SCSI copy routines?
My Mac has a SCSI CD ROM drive in it. I am adding a CDRW. I heard that if I get a SCSI CDRW I will be able to take advantage of some exclusive "SCSI to SCSI" routines when copying from CD to CD that would not be available to me if I went with say an IDE or FireWire CDRW drive. Is that true? On 8/1/04 5:57 am, in article x-0701042157430001@01-148.015.popsite.net, "toronado455" <x@x.x> wrote: > My Mac has a SCSI CD ROM drive in it. I am adding a CDRW. I heard that if > I get a SCSI CDRW I will be able to take advantage of some exclusive "SCSI > to SCSI&q...

esata enclosure and controller, scsi controller
Can someone recommend an eSATA enclosure and controller? I need an external enclosure that can hold 4-5 drives and a controller that fits into a PCIe 1X slot. And of course it needs to work with linux. Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive SCSI controller that fits into a PCIe 1x slot? The cheapest I can find is $160.... That's a bit too expensive.... I'm looking to improve performance and add storage to my server; move the OS and /tmp and /var to RAID-1 SCSI, and rebuild my system to have lots more diskspace. I'm finding that streaming video and music off the same p...

Table usage
Gurus... Is there any way (other than auditdb) to find what tables had the highest activity on them from time a to time b? I have been asked to find this information and my database has been checkpointed 4 times since the time period that is being requested. Thanks, Kay Hi Kay, Assuming you define highest activity as inserts,updates and deletes then auditdb is probably the best option. Auiditdb will be quite happy to span checkpoint boundaries. It only requires that the journals exist. - well there are a few complications, but this is the major point. So auditdb ...

Using SCSI-2 and UW SCSI Together on 43p140
Hello All, I just recently purchased a 43p - 140 with a 4.5 gig Seagate ST34572W hard drive (68 pin). I purchased the 4 mm 4/8 gig internal IBM Exabyte tape drive (50 pin), and a 2nd identical drive (68 pin). I am unable to get the box to boot when I connect both 68 and 50 pin SCSI bus. I've been researching manuals; so far I have not found a successful config. Is there a way to use both SCSI chains at the same time? Thank you in advance for your advice. Regards, Learning AIX AIX_Newbie wrote: > I just recently purchased a 43p - 140 with a 4.5 gig Seagate ST34572W > hard driv...

Finding out PCI Express Config Space Base Address reliably?
Hi everyone, In my spare time, i'm trying to create this utility on Linux that try's to read the PCI Express config space. The fundamental problem i'm facing is how to figure out what the PCI express config space's base address is. Since the base address should be a multiple of 256MB, I read that there can be only 16 locations below 4GB. So I created this small program that reads all physical addresses that are multiples of 256MB, and reads the first dword there, which should contain Intel's vendorID. But i see no such address that matches. Here's the progr...

SCSI + Windows: Disappointing write performance?
Hi, I've written a tiny program which just writes 2GB of data to disk, nothing more. Running the program, writing to different disks and configurations, leaves me a bit puzzled. My old&slow IDE drive is faster than a 4-drive RAID-10 using brand new 15K SAS drives we just got. That can't be right, can it? The program seems to be CPU bound, not IO bound, consuming 100% of one CPU on a quad PowerEdge 2850. All drivers and all firmware is upgraded to latest version available. Hardware on one of the servers I tested this on, a Quad Dell PowerEdge 2850, running W2003: a) PERC5...

Hypertransport to PCI Express bridge
I am trying to find out how much power (watts) these are likely to consume, but the salesdroid-oriented bumf carefully omits any such figure and any contact address for a human. I have searched all the manufacturers I can find, and they are all much the same. I found the figure of 8 watts for (I think) ATI in a third-party review. Any clues appreciated. Regards, Nick Maclaren. Nick Maclaren wrote: > I am trying to find out how much power (watts) these are likely to > consume, but the salesdroid-oriented bumf carefully omits any such > figure and any contact address for a human. ...

SCSI-INITIATOR-ID problem
Hi All, I am trying to configure SUN cluster using a Sun Ultra 30 & Ultra 1. I have connected a multi-pack to both the hosts. I have changed the scsi-initiator-id on Ultra 30 to 6. Below are the internal disks on Ultra 30. # format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <SUN9.0G cyl 4924 alt 2 hd 27 sec 133> /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@0,0 1. c0t1d0 <FUJITSU-MAB3091SSUN9.0G-1705 cyl 4924 alt 2 hd 27 sec 133> /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@1,0 Specify disk (enter its number): I have modified OBP settings as below on Ultra 30. ...

SCSI
Hi Im thinking of getting a bigger hard drive for my 500. I have an A590, at the moment it still has the original 20MB drive in it. All I can find on ebay are 2 drive 50 pin SCSI cables. Do these work in the same way as ide cables in that you can just leave the second connector empty or do I need to add a terminator or another drive? In the case of the terminator is there any special terminator i need or just any 50 pin SCSI terminator? Thanks Robert "Robert Cook" <rc42@kent.ac.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio news:cp4m8a$ek7$1@athena.ukc.ac.uk... > Im th...

Looking for tiny 2-ports hub which doesn't need power adapter
Hi, often I come to a place where there is only one RJ45 ethernet socket available, but I would like to connect to machines to the network. Is there a small hub/switch (2 ports would be enough) which could be plugged into the single wall socket and allows me to plug in 2 machines? And: Are there any devices of that kind which do not need a power adapter? Maybe it could take its power from a USB port... Has anyone seen something like that? Regards, Dominik ...

US-TX-Round Rock: Server Test Tech, W2K/W2K3/Netware/Linux, RAID, SCSI; 5M (45315457608)
US-TX-Round Rock: Server Test Tech, W2K/W2K3/Netware/Linux, RAID, SCSI; 5M (45315457608) ======================================================================================== Position: Server Test Tech Reference: SMC01607 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: 5M Skills: Exp in server, storage, and network technologies. Exp with installation/configuration of server OS`s such as W2K/W2K3/Netware/ Linux, RAID, and basic understanding of server hardware are required. Minimum one OS expertise required. ...

SCSI IDE Adapter
Have an old external SCSI enclosure that I want to mount a IDE DVD burner in. Am told there is a SCSI-2-IDE adapter board that was used by Yamaha several years ago to convert old IDE CD burners to SCSI which may work with a DVD Burner also. The adapter card was not made by Yamaha but by a third party. Anyone come across such a card. Thanks Unless your PC won't support it, you'd probably be better off to just get an external USB2 enclosure to mount the drive in. Something along the lines of: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817186102 I&#...

US-TX-Austin: RTL Design/Verification Eng., 3+yrs exp protocols PCI; Contract to (45338557779)
US-TX-Austin: RTL Design/Verification Eng., 3+yrs exp protocols PCI; Contract to (45338557779) ============================================================================================== Position: RTL Design/Verification Eng Reference: SMC01913 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract to Hire Skills: Strong background in RTL design and/or verification 3+yrs exp with current and future network protocols such as PCI-x or PCI-express, and fiber channel knowledge Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eur...

NIC HA: Swapping adapter software
NIC HA: Swapping adapter software Hello all. I would like to know if is there any software that would control the NIC availability. The software would monitor 2 NICs on a given machine, and in case one of them fails it would swap adapters by rearranging IP addresses and ALSO the MacAddress (thru some ARP Spoof method so that the nearby router would identify the former IP+NIC on the "new" one) I am not interested in any CLUSTER applications, unless I could use only a module of it. Thanks for your help! Jeffo. jeffo@pop.hsbc.com.br (Jeffo) wrote in message news:&l...

AIX Cannot see New SCSI Drive???
SCSI Gents; We just purchased and isntalled a new Hitachi (IBM) Ultrastar SCSI3 68 pin drive in one of our IBM servers running AIX version 5.1. This server has an existing IBM Ultrastar as well as cdrom and tape drive. We set the ID of the new drive and connected it to the only remaining connector on the chain. No matter what we do or try (we've even swapped positions, ID and adapters) and the system still boots with everything but does NOT see the new drive. Anyone have any clues as to why??? TIA Bob Mariotti schrieb: > > SCSI Gents; > > We just purchased and isntal...

Bandwidth of PN sequence
I have a simulator that determines the power consumed of a ZigBee CC2420 based on different parameters. What I am currently trying to do is by inputting predetermined PN sequences into the simulator, to generate a trend of the bandwidth of the particular PN sequences vs. the power consumed of the circuit. The problem resides in calculating the frequency response and in turn the bandwidth of the PN sequences. First, I modulated a half-sine wave carrier with different PN sequence such that: if bit = 1 --> positive half cycle if bit = 0 --> negative half cycle and calculated the fft in m...

PCMCIA (not PC-card!) WLAN adapter with Linux support needed
(see topic) My aging notebook doesn't have 32Bit Cardbus ~sth I just stumbled over the "Siemens i-Gate MobilePort 11M PCMCIA-Card". It seems to be exactly what I was looking for :) "Steffen Hein" <steffen-hein@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bkslj8$5i8ql$1@ID-29343.news.uni-berlin.de... > I just stumbled over the "Siemens i-Gate MobilePort 11M PCMCIA-Card". > It seems to be exactly what I was looking for :) If the notebook is really old, check in the specs whether it can do 3.3 V on the PCMCIA socket - I-Gate 11M can't do 5 V. If you ...

ISA vs PCI & Bridges
I got 3 ISA and 3 PCI slots in a Vectra. How do I get more PCI slots? - = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- Previously vjp2.at@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote: > I got 3 ISA and 3 PCI slots in a Vectra. > How do I get more PCI slots? Get a new mainboard. Bridging PCI is problematic. It may or may not work for your application. Arno ...

SCSI drive problem
Hi, I think I may have done a collection of wrong things to a new SCSI disc I just got. I wonder if anyone out there can help or explain why what I'm trying to do just won't work! :-) I have the following kit: - A3000 with Lingenuity SCSI expansion - RiscPC 600 with Acorn (AKA31) SCSI podule - A new Seagate Barracuda ST34371N drive. The goal is to backup another SCSI disc I have on the A3000, bring the backup onto the RiscPC and fire the FileCore image over the network to the PC and beyond (ie. CDR). Plugging the disc into the A3000 got it to show up with *devi...

scsi hd driver
i am looking for MS WDC WD800JD 00HKA0 800026 driver i am trying to install windows 2003 sbs but i dont have hd driver can any ine help me ???? ============== Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups. "iadnan" <adnan15550@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:4119fe7d$1_5@news.athenanews.com... > i am looking for MS WDC WD800JD 00HKA0 800026 > > driver i am trying to install windows 2003 sbs but i dont have hd > driver can any ine help me ???? > You don't need a driver for the DRIVE...