SCSI error : Start Unit Request Failed - no good even when HDD replaced

Hi,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Just this morning I tried to fix an IBM server showing "SCSI ID 1
start unit request failed" at boot.

This is what I did:

1) replaced the HDD that was failing > no good
2) replaced both HDDs (don't ask me why) > no good
3) replaced SCSI cable > no good
4) replaced SCSI card > no good

Is it a problem with the mother board or power unit? maybe SCSI bios?

Sometimes this problem fixes just by reseating cables but it happens
quite a lot. I've been replacing the machines until now, but trying to
figure out what it is that causes it...

Also since you guys are probably very knowledgable about SCSI HDD's,
do you have a system of trouble shooiting SCSI errors? do you use any
tools?
all help is greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance
0
operations
2/24/2004 2:10:26 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

"gee" <operations@easianet.com> wrote in message news:868c57f5.0402240610.3a165a0a@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Just this morning I tried to fix an IBM server showing "SCSI ID 1
> start unit request failed" at boot.
>
> This is what I did:
>
> 1) replaced the HDD that was failing > no good
> 2) replaced both HDDs (don't ask me why) > no good
> 3) replaced SCSI cable > no good
> 4) replaced SCSI card > no good
>
> Is it a problem with the mother board or power unit? maybe SCSI bios?
>
> Sometimes this problem fixes just by reseating cables but it happens
> quite a lot. I've been replacing the machines until now, but trying to
> figure out what it is that causes it...
>
> Also since you guys are probably very knowledgable about SCSI HDD's,
> do you have a system of trouble shooiting SCSI errors? do you use any
> tools?
> all help is greatly welcomed!
>
> Thanks in advance

It sounds like it could be a power problem.  If you're sure that
the power supply is adequately large, check all of your power
connectors for looseness.  Also check that voltages are correct.