Speed Opinions...

I would like a few performance opinions...

System O.S. Only...No programs

SCSI3 320 on Compaq Raid with 128MB Cache (3 drives) 15K RPM Disks

or

Single Drive, Obviously No raid, SCSI3, 320, 10K RPM, No cache, on a single
Adaptec Buss by itself.

For the faster system, what would you choose???

Kevin

0
jkmusic
10/9/2003 5:01:02 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2471 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

C'mon now....Everyone chicken.....

"jkmusic" <kpkeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I would like a few performance opinions...
>
> System O.S. Only...No programs
>
> SCSI3 320 on Compaq Raid with 128MB Cache (3 drives) 15K RPM Disks
>
> or
>
> Single Drive, Obviously No raid, SCSI3, 320, 10K RPM, No cache, on a
single
> Adaptec Buss by itself.
>
> For the faster system, what would you choose???
>
> Kevin

0
jkmusic

Speed up tracking program?
Hey all, I've written a tracking program which I'm in the process of testing and debugging. Essentially, it should track a fly's movement, detect whether or not it's in a user set region, and output a trace of it's movement to a figure. It works pretty well, but I've had some issues with lag. The preview window especially can lag a few seconds at a time. Any help in speeding it up would be greatly appreciated! There are several files below. The user runs createPreview, which calls updatePreview and updateTrack on every frame. There are several other functions for ...

7206
Simple question.. (I Think...) How fast can a 7206 route packets between two GigabitEthernet interfaces? Is it going to top out at a few megabits, or can I expect 100MB or even faster through two GigabitEthernet interfaces? I have worked with a lot of lower end Cisco products (17xx, 26xx, 36xx) but this is my first experience with a 7206 chassis. The router sits at about 1% CPU usage if that all day. I'd like to segment two networks at this customers site, and I have a spare GigabitEthernet interface on the chassis. I realize this is probably a job more suited for a layer 3 switch, but t...

Speeding up a list construction
In the innermost loop of a complicated module I have a list of integers a = {a1,a2,a3, ... an} The length n can be fairly large, say 10^7. I need to quickly generate asum = {0,a1,a1+a2,a1+a2+a3, ... }; (* n terms *) Two obvious solutions are n=Length[a]; asum=Table[0,{n}]; For [i=1,i<=n-1,i++,asum[[i+1]]=asum[[i]]+a[[i]]]; asum=Table[Sum[a[[i]],{i,1,k-1}],{k,1,n}]; The second is compact but at O(n^2) ops is way too slow. The first takes O(n) ops but still somewhat slow. Question: can a O(n)-ops process be coded without the loop? Constraint: any solution must wo...

Speed
Hallo, I have a normal network with two XP computers and a zyxel 300 prestige router. My problem is that it is slow - very slow. It says that it is 100 mbps connection, but the speed is something like 1 Mb per 5 minutes. What is wrong? ...

Windows PE as Laptop OS for blazing speed.
I have always run my laptop for my IT work as a mini server of sorts. I usually have MS SQL Server and some high end document imaging software loaded to be able to demo them in sales situations. At other times I most use my laptop to remotely administer client servers. Since many of us IT folk are doing so much remotely we are pretty much living in the remote desktop client logged into some server somewhere. Well, I started using my office server with remote desktop client for most all of my office application work such as Word docs, Excel and other stuff. So then I'm thinking it would...

Canon i860 vs i960 Opinions, Please ?
Hello: Really new at this. Looking for a houshold photo printer to use with a new digital camera. Pretty light usage frankly. Some photos, some text, but not all that much each day. Output speed for text not important. Would of course like really good 4x6 (mainly) prints. Might someone offer their general opinions on the Canon i860 vs their i960, please ? i960 "worth" the additional $50 ? Is it true the text output from the i960 isn't as good, as I heard they make black for text by mixing colors, while the i860 has a dedicated black for text. ? Consumabl...

RE: speeding up Python when using wmi #2
[rbt] >>=20Here's=20a=20quick=20and=20dirty=20version=20of=20winver.exe=20writte= n=20in=20Python: [Tim=20Golden] >=20In=20short,=20I=20recommend=20replacing=20the=20wmi=20module=20by=20th= e=20underlying >=20calls=20which=20it=20hides,=20and=20replacing=20Tkinter=20by=20a=20win= 32gui=20MessageBox. [rbt] >Wow...=20thanks.=20I=20didn't=20expect=20someone=20to=20completely=20rewr= ite=20it=20like=20 >that.=20I'll=20use=20your=20example=20and=20name=20it=20PyWinver=20and=20= attribute=20it=20to=20 >you.=20Hope=20you=20don't=20mind.=20Great=20learning=20expe...

Speed of AE Z80plus ?
What's the effective speed of AE z80plus card for the apple II+? Is it same as microsoft softcard 2 mhz ..or 4mhz as advertised ? thks. "L@K" writes ... > > What's the effective speed of AE z80plus card for the apple II+? > Is it same as microsoft softcard 2 mhz ..or 4mhz as advertised ? > > thks. Don't know. A Z80Plus pic does not appear to show a crystal or clock module; so, it looks like it would need to get its clock signal from the Slot. If it uses the 7MHz clock signal and you figure 4 cycles for opcode fetch and 3 cycles for mem R...

Dictionary scan speed-up--anybody tried this?
I found through tests on an 8-bit emulator that, if I compare the word of a dictionary scan (i.e. On Friday, March 1, 2013 11:18:24 AM UTC-5, Harry Potter wrote: > I found through tests on an 8-bit emulator that, if I compare the word of= a dictionary scan (i.e. Sorry about the incomplete posting--I accidently pressed the wrong button w= ith the mouse. I recently added code to the 8-bit version of my compressio= n software such that, before comparing the input block to a test block duri= ng a LZ77 dictionary scan, the scanner compares the word at the input to th= e test word a...

HP Pavilion with Athlon XP 2600+ opinions?
Hi. I see a very good deal on a factory refurbished HP Pavilion with AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08. I think it's the 310e model. 512MB RAM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, 120GB and a 17" Samsung flat-panel monitor. CDN$1,199 My question is this - I like to upgrade my computers and change components on a frequent basis. I'm concerned that the mini-tower form factor and HP proprietary design will prevent me from doing this. Is this the true? Are the components pretty much standard? For instance, can I swap the CD-RW for a DVD-RW without too much trouble? Is this machine powerful enough for vi...

timeseries speed
I asked this question earlier, got hundreds of views, but no suggestions/insight into this issue: So perhaps I can reiterate the question slightly differently. Creating timeseries objects is a very slow function. It takes my relatively fast workstation 10 sec / 10,000 records when feeding into the timeseries object using the following code: TS = timeseries(RawTemp, RawDateTime) RawTemp is a vector of decimal numbers (e.g. 1.234) and RawDateTime is a vector of cells containing date strings (e.g. 12/31/2008 00:02:35.0) as described in the product help. When reading potentially hundreds of...

MySQL Speed
Can someone tell me which of these 2 SQL queries will be more efficient? I'm having a debate with another guy about which would be less resource intensive for MySQL. The first uses MySQL to pick a random row in a single statement: <?php $sql = "SELECT FROM myTable ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1"; $query = mysql_query($sql,$conn); ?> The second does the same thing, but uses 2 queries to do it: <?php $sqlA = "SELECT COUNT(id) FROM myTable"; $queryA = mysql_query($sqlA,$conn); $num = mysql_result($queryA,0,0); $random = rand(1,$num); $sqlB = "SELECT FROM myTabl...

FAQ: Maximizing cable modem or DSL speed #3 263648
Q: How do I get the maximum possible DSL or cable modem speed? Should I use one of those tweaking programs? A: See the Navas Cable Modem/DSL Tuning Guide at <http://Cable-DSL.home.att.net/>. John Navas wrote: > Q: How do I get the maximum possible DSL or cable modem speed? > Should I use one of those tweaking programs? > > A: See the Navas Cable Modem/DSL Tuning Guide at > <http://Cable-DSL.home.att.net/>. I notice you don't mention mtu tweaks for DSL/ATM - is it different in the US? I seem to get a slight improvement in the UK using pppoa. Andy. Andy F...

US-TX-Austin: Senior RF IC Design Engin, high speed circuit design transistor (45357854004)
US-TX-Austin: Senior RF IC Design Engin, high speed circuit design transistor (45357854004) =========================================================================================== Position: Senior RF IC Design Engin Reference: ZYD00147 Location: Austin TX Duration: Skills: Experience in state-of-the-art high speed circuit design transistor level circuit. Hands on measurement experience solving difficult die-level design problems in products that shipped in high volume. MSEE + 5 years (or equivalent) RF I...

Mount and Blade
http://www.taleworlds.com/ is a free beta RPG -- I'm not 30 something. I'm $29.95, plus shipping and handling. Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:24:56 +1000, "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote: >http://www.taleworlds.com/ is a free beta RPG I love it. Have been playing for the last two weeks and haven't touched BF2, SWAT 4 or GTA:SA since. It really is that fun. Even though it has a lot of work to be put into it, it is still playable. There are some great mods for it too to spice it up a bit. Try HugeMod and the...

Speeding up a slow mac
Speeding up a slow mac=20 1. Reboot the whole system. Just shut the computer down. You can also press= Command-Option-P-R on startup until you hear the second chime and that wil= l clear the PRAM (Parameter Random Access Memory).=20 2a. How many applications do you have open? I typically limit mine to only = the ones that I am or will be using soon. Be aware of the number of apps th= at you have open. If it has the blue light on under it then it's open. You = can quit it by control clicking the application's icon and the dock and cli= cking "Quit". If the applica...

Speed up you typing speed more than 100 wpm
There is a program that speed up your typing and avoid spelling errors. My friends use it ,their averege is more than 100 wpm. You can download it from www.wamasoft.com. And It has a library for c++. I hope that it can help you! > There is a program that speed up your typing and avoid spelling errors. > My friends use it ,their averege is more than 100 wpm. > You can download it from www.wamasoft.com. > And It has a library for c++. > I hope that it can help you! I heard about that program. I hear it uses a special C++ libray that bends the laws of physics. I hear it someh...

Speed question w/ mixing SCSI drives
Hi again, I've kept an older SCSI drive on my single channel Ultra160 controller figuring to just use it for music and backing up. My question is... While accessing that drive (as in playing music while working), does that slow down the 160 drive to 80 (the speed of the old drive)? -Larry "Larry Hodges" <2larry2@2maximizesoftware2.com> wrote in message news:GI-dncg0lYgVCAHeRVn-qw@comcast.com > Hi again, > > I've kept an older SCSI drive on my single channel Ultra160 controller > figuring to just use it for music and backing up. My question is... ...

Execution speed is slow
Hi, I have a program where there is a variable that should converge to a specific value. I executed my program many times and I noticed that the execution speed gets slower and slower throughout time. Any one can tell me why please? is it a RAM problem? "Salah Eddine " <salaheddine.saidi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:insric$iol$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, > I have a program where there is a variable that should converge to a > specific value. I executed my program many times and I noticed that the > execution speed gets slower and slower throughout time...

Processor speeds
Hi everyone. I am thinking of buying a lap top to replace my current desktop (HP Pavilion a118.uk). I am looking for one to play games on, watch dvds, write to dvd and multitask. How much would one like this cost and what would you recommend? I need the help as I don't know anything technical. I am in UK. Thanks Let your budget be your guide. No kidding. t60p's are still the hot sellers, and priced accordingly. And some are priced at $1500 US. Well, the t60's are. IBM and now Lenovo has never been your volume consumer grade seller. Yet IBM has features you may lear...

[LogoForum] Re: Speed proof 2 and HOW DID LOGO GO TO YOUR LIFE? #3
The message below is being cross-posted from LogoForum. --- In LogoForum@yahoogroups.com, "logo_programmer" <gene_sullivan@...> wrote: > > > As one participant in/of the forum I would like to add this thought: > That logo as a whole suffers from not being held accountable the > way many of those grade school students who learn it are. To wit, > I'd like to see EVERY implementation of Logo have a built-in > procedure which returns a True-false (EG Boolean) value. The name of > this primitive would be something like WorksAndPlaysWellWithOthers. >...

MATLAB serial port interface maximum speed
Hi! I am a novice in MATLAB, trying to implement a high-speed data acquisition application. Actually, the data source is connected to the PC through an USB port, using a Virtual Serial Port driver so MATLAB can access the data source device through its serial interface. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in what the maximum achievable data transfer speed is in this kind of setup. I'm using this code to read the data, with sp being the serial port object: bytecount = 0; tic while bytecount < 524588 if sp.BytesAvailable [ dummy, count ] = fread(sp, sp.BytesAvailable, &#...

Speed considerations
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------953011866307965240625C67 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello everybody, I have written an optimization routine and have the following questions. In my program there is a for-next loop. Within the for-next loop I have a "if-then" condition which stores the data on disk after each 10000 Iterations. Does the "if-then" condition has a large impact on the speed of the programm? ThX in advance Daniel --------------953011866307965240625C67 Content-Type: t...

Flash memory speed?
I have an iMac G5, 10.4.9, 768MB Ram (soon to be 1.5 GB) I just bought a 4 GB flash card from Hong Kong on ebay for $20 plus postage. I plugged it into my Apple keyboard and transferred a 400 MB disk image to it from my HD. This transfer took almost 10 minutes. Is this fairly normal for this medium, or is it exceptionally slow? TIA In article <1hvj9g7.1hgvvaylmtou1N%paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink>, Paul Fuchs <paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink> wrote: > I have an iMac G5, 10.4.9, 768MB Ram (soon to be 1.5 GB) > > I just bought a 4 GB flash card from Hong Kong ...

UDP Speed Test 2.94 now available !
Hello UDP Speed Test 2.94 is now available ! Improvements: + Algorithm bug fixed: Random Data Sizes was not working correctly. The software can be downloaded at: http:/www.myjavaserver.com/~skybuck ^^^ A great tool for testing ip fragmentation and re-assembly as well. ^^^ Bye, Skybuck. On Oct 16, 10:37 pm, "Skybuck Flying" <s...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello > > UDP Speed Test 2.94 is now available ! > > Improvements: > > + Algorithm bug fixed: Random Data Sizes was not working correctly. > > The software can be d...