Unit attention and REQUEST SENSE

Something basic about SCSI has confused me for a while.  Is REQUEST
SENSE required to clear a unit attention condition or is TEST UNIT
READY sufficient?  What I read in SAM-3 implies yes, but what I've
seen with a real device implies no.

I once wrote driver code for a USB CD-ROM drive, which uses SCSI as
its command set.  When I changed the media in the drive, all I had to
do to get READ and WRITE commands to succeed was to beforehand issue
TEST UNIT READY a few times until it finally succeeded.

This confuses me because I thought changing media was supposed to
establish a unit attention condition, which should have caused those
READ and WRITE commands to fail with check condition status until I
did a REQUEST SENSE, but I never did a REQUEST SENSE.  Am I
interpreting the spec wrong, or did the device and I both violate it?

0
BubbaGump
2/17/2007 2:12:13 AM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

"BubbaGump" <BubbaGump@localhost> wrote in message
> Something basic about SCSI has confused me for a while.  Is REQUEST
> SENSE required to clear a unit attention condition or is TEST UNIT
> READY sufficient?  What I read in SAM-3 implies yes, but what I've
> seen with a real device implies no.
>
> I once wrote driver code for a USB CD-ROM drive, which uses SCSI as
> its command set.  When I changed the media in the drive, all I had to
> do to get READ and WRITE commands to succeed was to beforehand issue
> TEST UNIT READY a few times until it finally succeeded.
>
> This confuses me because I thought changing media was supposed to
> establish a unit attention condition, which should have caused those
> READ and WRITE commands to fail with check condition status until I
> did a REQUEST SENSE, but I never did a REQUEST SENSE.  Am I
> interpreting the spec wrong, or did the device and I both violate it?

When a Unit Attention condition exists (reset, power cycle, whatever), the
next SCSI command that is not a REQUEST SENSE or an INQUIRY command will
fail with a Check condition.

If you first command routinely is a TEST UNIT READY, this TUR will end in a
Check Condition and you can then choose to issue a REQUEST SENSE to pick up
the sense data and find out exactly what the condition was. You can also
choose to ignore the Check condition.

The SCSI command after that will not be 'bothered' with the fact that sense
data is available, and it will be processed as usual. At this point any
sense data that could have informed you of the Unit Attention is cleared.

Rob

0
Rob
2/17/2007 7:56:41 AM
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:56:41 +0100, "Rob Turk"
<wipe_this_r.turk@chello.nl> wrote:

>"BubbaGump" <BubbaGump@localhost> wrote in message
>> Something basic about SCSI has confused me for a while.  Is REQUEST
>> SENSE required to clear a unit attention condition or is TEST UNIT
>> READY sufficient?  What I read in SAM-3 implies yes, but what I've
>> seen with a real device implies no.
>>
>> I once wrote driver code for a USB CD-ROM drive, which uses SCSI as
>> its command set.  When I changed the media in the drive, all I had to
>> do to get READ and WRITE commands to succeed was to beforehand issue
>> TEST UNIT READY a few times until it finally succeeded.
>>
>> This confuses me because I thought changing media was supposed to
>> establish a unit attention condition, which should have caused those
>> READ and WRITE commands to fail with check condition status until I
>> did a REQUEST SENSE, but I never did a REQUEST SENSE.  Am I
>> interpreting the spec wrong, or did the device and I both violate it?
>>

>When a Unit Attention condition exists (reset, power cycle, whatever), the
>next SCSI command that is not a REQUEST SENSE or an INQUIRY command will
>fail with a Check condition.
>
>If you first command routinely is a TEST UNIT READY, this TUR will end in a
>Check Condition and you can then choose to issue a REQUEST SENSE to pick up
>the sense data and find out exactly what the condition was. You can also
>choose to ignore the Check condition.
>
>The SCSI command after that will not be 'bothered' with the fact that sense
>data is available, and it will be processed as usual. At this point any
>sense data that could have informed you of the Unit Attention is cleared.

That's a little closer than SAM-3 to a language I can understand, but
let me ask in other words.  Is it correct to say that the first
command sent after a unit attention condition has occurred will be
failed, then the following command(s) will be processed normally?

(not including commands like INQUIRY, REPORT LUNS, or REQUEST SENSE or
a UA_INTLCK_CTR that is for some reason non-zero)

0
BubbaGump

Decoding 'Mode Sense', 'Log Sense' and 'Request Sense' SCSI CMDS
Hi, Is there a crib-sheet or such like for decoding the response to a 'Mode Sense', 'Log Sense' and 'Request Sense'? I am looking at a fibre channel trace and a HP-UX server issues these commands continually to a DLT 7000 drive but I cannot understand it's response back. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason Get the DLT scsi manual, you should find a pdf for it somewhere - what response are you getting? Mat "Jason" <jc32370@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f6b73bcb.0312010521.1adc1ff2@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Is there ...

SCSI error : Start Unit Request Failed
Hi, Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Just this morning I tried to fix an IBM server showing "SCSI ID 1 start unit request failed" at boot. This is what I did: 1) replaced the HDD that was failing > no good 2) replaced both HDDs (don't ask me why) > no good 3) replaced SCSI cable > no good 4) replaced SCSI card > no good Is it a problem with the mother board or power unit? maybe SCSI bios? Sometimes this problem fixes just by reseating cables but it happens quite a lot. I've been replacing the machines until now, but trying to figure out what it is tha...

Start request unit failed
Hi Guys, Please help. I am new to SCSI's. I have recently got myself an old server its an Acer Altos 1100e. I have 5 hot swap SCSI drives in there, 1 x Ultra2 SCSI 18.2 Gb and 4 x Ultra3 SCSI 9.2Gb all running at 10K rpm. There is an Adaptec AHA-950u2b SCSI interface card. Running with 256 RAM and Pentium III 800Mhz CPU. When I first installed the 4 x 9.2Gb drives I used to get "Start Request Unit Failed" on one of the drives and a week or two later I started to get the same message for the 18.2Gb drive. When you take the drives out you can still feel them spinning. Can some...

vb-lite-unit feature request
Steve J., et al: I'm auditioning VB Classic test runners, and the free version of VBUnit is too heavy. I need the lightest possible test runner, for rapid deployment on a VBA project for MS Office. How easily could we upgrade vb-lite-unit to use a real setUp-tearDown system with test cases? It will never get as easy as CppUnitLite (C++ is a much easier and more rapid language than VB.) I suspect a system like this would be more than syntactic sugar: Public Sub setUp() '... End Sub Public Sub test_Foo() '... End Sub Public Sub test_Bar() '... End Sub Public Su...

vb-lite-unit feature request
Steve J., et al: I'm auditioning VB Classic test runners, and the free version of VBUnit is too heavy. I need the lightest possible test runner, for rapid deployment on a VBA project for MS Office. How easily could we upgrade vb-lite-unit to use a real setUp-tearDown system with test cases? It will never get as easy as CppUnitLite (C++ is a much easier and more rapid language than VB.) I suspect a system like this would be more than syntactic sugar: Public Sub setUp() '... End Sub Public Sub test_Foo() '... End Sub Public Sub test_Bar() '... End Sub Public Su...

unit testing failure makes no sense
I have some unit testing code in one of my modules that appears to run without an error, but the unit test fails anyhow. Have a look at the output below -- the TestResult seems to have no errors and no failures, yet I get a system exit. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ --- exceptions.SystemExit Traceback (most recent call last) /Users/chris/<ipython console> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/ unittest.py in __init__(self=<unittest.TestProgram object at 0x10ee670>, mod...

scsi disk error diagnosis request (linux)
Help! My server just got this error on it's root disk. Can someone help me decipher what kind of error this is? I.e. bad block or bad cable or what? What is "return code 40001"? It's the first such error after several years of running. It is very difficult to have the server down for long, so a clear diagnosis would be a big help. -- George SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 40001 I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 600784 lost page write due to I/O error on 2b:01 Linux version 2.4.20-4GB-athlon (root@pig-db) (gcc version 3.3.2) #2 Tue Mar 30 13:45:49 EST 2004 Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00 Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST318406LC Rev: 0108 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03 Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 6.2.29 Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs Serial EEPROM: 0xc3bb 0xc33a 0xc39d 0xc0bb 0xc13a 0xc3bb 0xc33a 0xc33a 0xc33a 0xc33a 0xc33a 0xc13a 0xc13a 0xc13a 0xc13a 0xc13a 0x08f4 0x745d 0x2807 0x0010 0x0300 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0x0250 0xd135 Channel A Target 0 Negotiation Settings User: 80.000MB/s transfers (40.000MHz DT, offset 127, 16bit) Goal: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 63, 16bit) Curr: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 63, 16bit) Channel A Target 0 Lun 0 Settings Commands Queued 2687258 Commands Active 0 ...

test::unit caller stack feature request
A typical call stack of mine look like the following. The last 10 lines is visual noise. Is it possible to get rid of these lines? -- Simon Strandgaard 1) Failure: test_repeat_nested14(TestMScanner) [./common.rb:64:in `assert_regex' ./match_mixins.rb:548:in `_debug_test_repeat_nested14' (eval):5:in `test_repeat_nested14']: <["abababab", "ab"]> expected but was <#<RuntimeError: integrity: expected "a . b", got "a b a b a b a b" at line 4> /home/neoneye/kode/editor/projects/regexp_engine/regexp/mscanner.rb:520:...

Request for input : What makes most sense in *your* PHP environment?
Dear all, although being a user of PHP and other scripting-languages for years, I have not taken part in any large projects based on PHP. Thus, I don't really know how real PHP-applications are deployed out there. This posting is a request for input from professional PHP-users and architects with experience from designing PHP applications. My company makes a toolkit for developing WebServices. This toolkit is typically used to expose an API to existing applications. i.e. exposing (parts of) an existing application as a WebService. The server-part of this toolkit is implemented in Java and...

SCSI Ultra 320 IO Result Request
SCSI Ultra 320 HD Tune Speed check? Can some one run the HD Tune disk speed check (IO transfer rate, access time, and burst rate) diagnostic for a SCSI Ultra 320 drive on a Windows XP PC (2.5 GHz or better) so that a comparison can be made to SATA drive results? This diagnostic utility is available from www.hdtune.com. They report various hard disk results on their web site, but none for SCSI. The result for my single SATA disk drive result was: Disk Drive: Western Digital Raptor, 36 GB, 10,000 rpm, SATA interface; Transfer Rate: Minimum 26.7 MByte/sec, Maximum 55.0 MB/sec, Average 47.4...

SCSI: Does one need a special SCSI LVD adapter, over and above a SCSI card?
The computer, on my Debian linux home hard-wired five PC Ethernet network, on which I wish to add a SCSI hard disk for backup purposes, has an > I have an Iwill Side-2936UW-E SCSI adapter. This supports SCSI-1, SCSI-2, > Ultra SCSI, UYltra Wide SCSI peripherals; PCI Local bus spec revision 2.1 > compliance; 32 bit bus master DMA; scatter/gather supported. Several SCSI dirves -- 36gig to 50 gig -- are available at Ebay, that seem most suitable. Most are "LVD SCSI" drives; at least one Ebay retailer seems to imply that this might necessitate the use of some adapter, that he'll sell me as well. I suspect that I don't really need this adapter. Am I right? P.S. I don't read comp.linux.hardware that often; so a direct email would be greatly appreciated. I'll respond, when the matter is cleared up, to the net. Thanks in advance, Yours, -- Saul ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:15:16 -0700 From: Daryl G. Norton <dnorton22@earthlink.net> To: lubkin@math.rochester.edu Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2777732346 It will if you have the correct adapters. I have the higher end adapters that will make these drives work with non LVD controllers. Most of the adapters on Ebay are rated low and do not work on both Mac and PC. Mine do it all. They run 9.95 per adapter with no extra shipping if shipped with the drive. Thanks, Call or email me if you have more questions. On 01/02/2004 7:53 PM,...

SCSI 3 / SCSI 2
Hi, I'm a newbie about SCSI controllers and hard drives but I haven't found any answer in the newsgroups and over the net. I've got a SCSI-3 hard drive with a 68pin connector and a controller card with a 50pin connector, so I think that it is a SCSI-2 controller card. My question is: Can I connect my SCSI-3 Hard drive on my controller card using a 50/68 ping transceiver ? Thanks in advance, akiuni "akiuni" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:42694602$0$8847$636a15ce@news.free.fr... > Hi, > > I'm a newbie about SCSI controllers and...

Some SCSI Questions with SCSI Lib2
Hello, We have our own FPGA chip via which I am trying to send a SCSI command under VxWorks RTOS. I like to know where I may have to add the needed code to send a SCSI command (Request Sense, Inquiry) which are done via the scsiPhysDevCreate function. I understand the SCSI Lib 2 Template Driver as provided by VxWorks. But it does not have a fully clear Transaction using scsiTransact function pointer. I am guessing that when scsiPhysDevCreate is called it creates the SCSI Threads and it must have a way to send the SCSI command. And there is scsiThreadActivate function pointer which I am guessi...

old scsi to newer scsi
I have a 25-pin scsi flatbed scanner that came with it's own card/cable. I've recently aquired a PC with external ultra/wide 68-pin. Can anyone point me to a cable/adapter that will connect the two? Many thanks AL In article <5humb.481$h55.216@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, spambin@by.co.uk says... > I have a 25-pin scsi flatbed scanner that came with it's own card/cable. > I've recently aquired a PC with external ultra/wide 68-pin. > > Can anyone point me to a cable/adapter that will connect the two? I'm not certain if there is a s...

SCSI 160 and SCSI 320
Is there a difference between a cable SCSI 160 and cable SCSI 320. Thanks a lot. ...

Test::Unit feature request
It would be awesome if I could say prompt> ruby test_me.rb --name "test_.*something.*" so that all tests with 'something' in their method name gets invoked. However on ruby 1.8.1.. only zero tests are being invoked. So I guess it isn't supported. Such feature would be awesome. Thanks in advance. -- Simon Strandgaard On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 10:43:02PM +0900, Simon Strandgaard wrote: > It would be awesome if I could say > prompt> ruby test_me.rb --name "test_.*something.*" i use the following snippet of code but obviously it would be much ni...

Attention gfortran developers/experts: requesting interpretation of an error message from the compiler
Will it be possible for those in the know of gfortran compiler errors to ex= plain what the error message from gfortran compiler (GCC 6.0 development tr= unk) as shown below for the listed code actually means? -- begin code -- module m implicit none private type, public :: a_t private character(len=3D:), allocatable :: m_str contains private procedure, pass(this), public :: getstr procedure, pass(this), public :: setstr end type a_t type, public :: b_t class(a_t), pointer :: m_t contains procedure, pass(...

Request
I need some of the papers on "rule extraction using genetic algorithms." Can any could help me in this regard. On 3-Jan-2008, naveen.nekuri@gmail.com wrote: > I need some of the papers on "rule extraction using genetic > algorithms." Can any could help me in this regard. This is not a formal paper, but it might be of some use to you: http://www.dtreg.com/gep.htm -- Phil Sherrod (PhilSherrod 'at' comcast.net) http://www.dtreg.com (Decision trees, Neural networks, SVM and Genetic modeling) http://www.nlreg.com (Nonlinear Regression) naveen.nek...@gmai...

Request
I have a request. When Milter Support started, the developers wrote a milter (sample.c) that was included in the distribution. This archives all messages. Can somebody write a function that can be added to sample.c that will add a user defined disclaimer to all outgoing messages. Thanks Mark Penkower Mark Penkower wrote: > I have a request. > When Milter Support started, the developers wrote a milter (sample.c) > that was included in the distribution. This archives all messages. Can > somebody write a function that can be added to sample.c that will add a > user d...

Request

Request
Cinema 4d R9 --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- "MrSandman" <Dreams@Night.org> wrote in news:427b1976$0$20454 $c807b3c@newsreader13.eweka.nl: > Cinema 4d R9 > > > --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- > ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- > -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- > http://www.maxon.de/index_e.html ...

Scsi
Hi Guys, I have some questions about a SCSI setup; not directly related to PS/2, but an IBM 8639 server with a raid controller with 4 drives, all of model DCAS-34330. One of the drives was deleted because of failure and I took the whole thing apart to check everything. This is the situation: Controller has the ID 7. Seen from the raid controller at the first connector is the CD-ROM, ID 1; then a drive with ID 2, next drive ID 4, next drive ID 3 and the last with ID 0. The drives 1-2-3 have the autospin disabled. The last drive on the chain is the autospin not disabled and the SCSI terminator is on. Questions: it seems to me that the ID setting is random, so what is the best setting? And what about the autospin? The SCSI cable has an active terminator at the end, so why is the last drive also terminated? In my opinion it shouldn't be. This one is also the defective one, so I have to replace it. Let me share your allmighty knowledge. George --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.525 / Virus Database: 322 - Release Date: 9-10-2003 Hi George ! 1. the physical order of devices along a SCSI bus is of little to no importance. There is no need to have device 0 closest to the controller and ID6 at the end. Exception 1: mixing 8- and 16-bit devices with adapter plugs. 16-bit (wide) devices might react funny if placed to far off from the controller. Excepti...

request
Does anyone out there have a model of a disposable diaper? I been trying for 2 days and just can't seem to make it. I'm using max3.1 so something compatible or importable would be appreciated. Thanks in advance i think.. that dancing baby comes with one. should be on the character studio cd -- ********** shu "Rick Meyers" <meyersmedia@comcast.net> wrote in message news:N-mdncYLn67oXhPfRVn-ow@comcast.com... > Does anyone out there have a model of a disposable diaper? I been trying for > 2 days and just can't seem to make it. I'm u...

Request
sir im doing my project in Video compression using matlab.i want to read an video image which is not having the extension .avi. i dnt know to convert image into avi extension file and also help to read 16 bit image .pls reply me soon sir because i suppose to complete my project soon. S.anne subashini: <SNIP shortly before a nervous breakdown: i want to read an video image which is not having the extension .avi. well, your best approach at this time: get an external program that converts whatever file format your video has to an <.avi> - and happily proceed with MLbbing... one site...

Web resources about - Unit attention and REQUEST SENSE - comp.periphs.scsi

Attention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attention is the behavioral and cognitive process of selectively concentrating on a discrete aspect of information, whether deemed subjective ...

Attention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , or attendant . "Interested" redirects here. For the emotion, see interest (emotion) . For other uses, see Interest (disambiguation) . Attention ...

Attention, Facebook Camera Users: Make Sure You Have Updated To Version 1.1.2
Users of Facebook’s Camera iOS application might want to make sure they have updated to version 1.1.2, as Facebook confirmed a bug in older versions ...

Capture Attention with Updated Features for Video Ads
We're adding new features to videos ads, and we've updated our creative guidelines for video ads on Facebook. Read the updates.

Study: Twitter Beats Facebook for Media Attention in 2011
... to a report by HighBeam Research . Twitter was the media darling this year, earning nearly half of all the combined social media attention ...

Short Attention Span Theater by @BloggersRUs
Short Attention Span Theater by Tom Sullivan After several years of delays, Short Attention Span Theater will again resume production on Repatriation ...

Sanders says he ran as Democrat for the media attention
He also said a third-party bid could have only happened if he were a billionaire

The Latest: Group draws attention to detained journalists
NEW DELHI (AP) — The Latest on International Women's Day (all times local):

IDG Contributor Network: Alfresco uses FUD to gain attention, misses the real point
The enterprise file sharing and synchronization (EFSS) space is a cutthroat world. With a huge number of vendors (too many if you ask me) and ...

Kerr: Warriors had 'zero attention span' vs Lakers
... 50° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Kerr: Warriors had 'zero attention ...