USB to SCSI

Have some ancient M-O discs that I would like to explore and then erase.
In the past had been using an Iomega printer-to-SCSI adaptor but that is
long gone.

All of the USB-to-SCSI converter cables seem to be out of production. Any
clues as to where to locate a source that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

0
retsuhcs
4/28/2013 5:56:58 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

"Mike S." wrote:

> Have some ancient M-O discs that I would like to explore and then erase.
> In the past had been using an Iomega printer-to-SCSI adaptor but that is
> long gone.
>
> All of the USB-to-SCSI converter cables seem to be out of production. Any
> clues as to where to locate a source that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

The cheap solution is to use 2nd-hand hardware. If you can't find an USB
HA, an old PCI HA like AHA-2940 and a matching old PC you can get
everywhere.

For new PCs, there are PCIe HAs with parallel Interface available too.
Something like this:
http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/products/scsi/asc-29320lpe/
But they are expensive because they are new and rare.

Micha
0
Michael
4/29/2013 7:23:19 AM
Mike S. <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote:

> Have some ancient M-O discs that I would like to explore and then erase.
> In the past had been using an Iomega printer-to-SCSI adaptor but that is
> long gone.
>
> All of the USB-to-SCSI converter cables seem to be out of production. Any
> clues as to where to locate a source that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I have one of these

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/usb_scsi/usbxchange/

For a $100 deposit you can borrow mine, return it intact and you get $100
less USPS shipping back. No games.

Not trying to be a jackass, as you may have noticed, these are pretty
impossible to replace, and if you do need one, you're going to get taken
for a ride.

0
Cydrome
4/30/2013 12:09:39 AM
In article <kln242$ih8$2@reader1.panix.com>,
Cydrome Leader  <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>Mike S. <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote:
>>
>> Have some ancient M-O discs that I would like to explore and then erase.
>> In the past had been using an Iomega printer-to-SCSI adaptor but that is
>> long gone.
>>
>> All of the USB-to-SCSI converter cables seem to be out of production. Any
>> clues as to where to locate a source that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
>
>I have one of these
>
>http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/usb_scsi/usbxchange/
>
>For a $100 deposit you can borrow mine, return it intact and you get $100
>less USPS shipping back. No games.
>
>Not trying to be a jackass, as you may have noticed, these are pretty
>impossible to replace, and if you do need one, you're going to get taken
>for a ride.

Thanks for the offer. The earlier responder suggested using an old PC with
a PCI host adaptor which is a lot easier to find. I'm going to check out
the relics in the basement to see if that might be an easier option. If
not, I may take advantage of yours.

0
retsuhcs
4/30/2013 11:44:42 AM
At Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:44:42 +0000 (UTC) retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

> In article <kln242$ih8$2@reader1.panix.com>,
> Cydrome Leader  <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
> >Mike S. <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote:
> >>
> >> Have some ancient M-O discs that I would like to explore and then erase.
> >> In the past had been using an Iomega printer-to-SCSI adaptor but that is
> >> long gone.
> >>
> >> All of the USB-to-SCSI converter cables seem to be out of production. Any
> >> clues as to where to locate a source that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
> >
> >I have one of these
> >
> >http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/usb_scsi/usbxchange/
> >
> >For a $100 deposit you can borrow mine, return it intact and you get $100
> >less USPS shipping back. No games.
> >
> >Not trying to be a jackass, as you may have noticed, these are pretty
> >impossible to replace, and if you do need one, you're going to get taken
> >for a ride.
>
> Thanks for the offer. The earlier responder suggested using an old PC with
> a PCI host adaptor which is a lot easier to find. I'm going to check out
> the relics in the basement to see if that might be an easier option. If
> not, I may take advantage of yours.

Geeks.com sells referbished (diskless) P4 boxes for as little as $40 (about
$100 for a unit *with a disk*, but no O/S). The small form factor boxes have a
couple of PCI slots (on a riser) and are capable of booting off an USB stick
or a live linux CD or off the net via PXE. Drop in a AHA-2940 bought off E-Bay
(maybe $20?) and there you are. A CentOS 5.9 i386 live CD will get you
everything you need in terms of software.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com

Robert
4/30/2013 2:09:55 PM
In article <pKCdnU_jHucuTeLMnZ2dnUVZ_vGdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Robert Heller  <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
>At Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:44:42 +0000 (UTC) retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:
>

>> In article <kln242$ih8$2@reader1.panix.com>,
>> Cydrome Leader  <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>> >I have one of these
>> >
>> >http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/usb_scsi/usbxchange/
>> >
>> >For a $100 deposit you can borrow mine, return it intact and you get $100
>> >less USPS shipping back. No games.
>> >
>> >Not trying to be a jackass, as you may have noticed, these are pretty
>> >impossible to replace, and if you do need one, you're going to get taken
>> >for a ride.
>>
>> Thanks for the offer. The earlier responder suggested using an old PC with
>> a PCI host adaptor which is a lot easier to find. I'm going to check out
>> the relics in the basement to see if that might be an easier option. If
>> not, I may take advantage of yours.
>
>Geeks.com sells referbished (diskless) P4 boxes for as little as $40 (about
>$100 for a unit *with a disk*, but no O/S). The small form factor boxes have a
>couple of PCI slots (on a riser) and are capable of booting off an USB stick
>or a live linux CD or off the net via PXE. Drop in a AHA-2940 bought off E-Bay
>(maybe $20?) and there you are. A CentOS 5.9 i386 live CD will get you
>everything you need in terms of software.

Sounds like a plan, though I will likely try one of the old machines on my
workroom floor first. Thanks.

0
retsuhcs

SCSI device on a laptop: PC Card or USB/SCSI converter?
I want to attach a SCSI device (my DAT drive) to a laptop computer. There appear to be two ways to do this: a PC Card SCSI adapter such as the Adaptec 1460, or a USB 2.0-to-SCSI adapter -- the only one I know of is Adaptec's USB2XCHANGE. Does have anyone have experience with these solutions? Informed opinions on which would be more robust? Faster? From a technical point of view I prefer the USB2XCHANGE approach, but it's relatively new technology, so I'm a bit wary. My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net. Jonathan Sachs <nobody@nospam.accepted> wrote: > I want to attach a SCSI device (my DAT drive) to a laptop computer. > There appear to be two ways to do this: a PC Card SCSI adapter such as > the Adaptec 1460, or a USB 2.0-to-SCSI adapter -- the only one I know > of is Adaptec's USB2XCHANGE. > > Does have anyone have experience with these solutions? Informed > opinions on which would be more robust? Faster? > > From a technical point of view I prefer the USB2XCHANGE approach, but > it's relatively new technology, so I'm a bit wary. > > My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net. I use a 1460 under both Linux and Win98 to do backups to a DAT drive. It works. The DAT drive speed is the limiting factor, not the interface speed, so from a speed standpoint, they will be about the same. Jerry ...

SCSI: Does one need a special SCSI LVD adapter, over and above a SCSI card?
The computer, on my Debian linux home hard-wired five PC Ethernet network, on which I wish to add a SCSI hard disk for backup purposes, has an > I have an Iwill Side-2936UW-E SCSI adapter. This supports SCSI-1, SCSI-2, > Ultra SCSI, UYltra Wide SCSI peripherals; PCI Local bus spec revision 2.1 > compliance; 32 bit bus master DMA; scatter/gather supported. Several SCSI dirves -- 36gig to 50 gig -- are available at Ebay, that seem most suitable. Most are "LVD SCSI" drives; at least one Ebay retailer seems to imply that this might necessitate the use of some adapter, that he'll sell me as well. I suspect that I don't really need this adapter. Am I right? P.S. I don't read comp.linux.hardware that often; so a direct email would be greatly appreciated. I'll respond, when the matter is cleared up, to the net. Thanks in advance, Yours, -- Saul ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:15:16 -0700 From: Daryl G. Norton <dnorton22@earthlink.net> To: lubkin@math.rochester.edu Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2777732346 It will if you have the correct adapters. I have the higher end adapters that will make these drives work with non LVD controllers. Most of the adapters on Ebay are rated low and do not work on both Mac and PC. Mine do it all. They run 9.95 per adapter with no extra shipping if shipped with the drive. Thanks, Call or email me if you have more questions. On 01/02/2004 7:53 PM,...

Can't get my Lexar USB CF reader to be seen in /proc/scsi/scsi
Hi All, I'm trying to get my Lexar USB CF reader (RW016-P Rev.A) to work under RedHat 8.0, but it does not seem to show up under /proc/scsi/scsi. However is does show under /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1. I have put some details below, and hope some one knows what might be the issue... Thanks, Eelco [root@Tommy root]# lsmod | grep usb usb-uhci 26412 0 (unused) usbcore 78944 1 [hid usb-uhci] [root@Tommy root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi Attached devices: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00 Vendor: PLEXTOR Model: CD-R PX-W8432T Rev: 1.05 Type: CD-RO...

FS: A2091 SCSI controller, SCSI cable and 9GB IBM SCSI harddrive
Complete set for A2000 / 3000 and 4000 computers. Asking only 50 USD or 50 Euro's. ...

SCSI to SCSI copy routines?
My Mac has a SCSI CD ROM drive in it. I am adding a CDRW. I heard that if I get a SCSI CDRW I will be able to take advantage of some exclusive "SCSI to SCSI" routines when copying from CD to CD that would not be available to me if I went with say an IDE or FireWire CDRW drive. Is that true? On 8/1/04 5:57 am, in article x-0701042157430001@01-148.015.popsite.net, "toronado455" <x@x.x> wrote: > My Mac has a SCSI CD ROM drive in it. I am adding a CDRW. I heard that if > I get a SCSI CDRW I will be able to take advantage of some exclusive "SCSI > to SCSI&q...

old scsi to newer scsi
I have a 25-pin scsi flatbed scanner that came with it's own card/cable. I've recently aquired a PC with external ultra/wide 68-pin. Can anyone point me to a cable/adapter that will connect the two? Many thanks AL In article <5humb.481$h55.216@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, spambin@by.co.uk says... > I have a 25-pin scsi flatbed scanner that came with it's own card/cable. > I've recently aquired a PC with external ultra/wide 68-pin. > > Can anyone point me to a cable/adapter that will connect the two? I'm not certain if there is a s...

SCSI errors on probe-scsi-all
Hello, I'm using a Netra20 with Solaris 8 but I'm having some issues connecting external devices to the SCSI bus. I'm trying to see if anyone else has come across solutions to these errors. Google shows a few hits matching the error messages, but so far I haven't found a solution. Situation: plugging in an INSITE I325VM floppy device into the external scsi port on a Netra 20. At OBP: probe-scsi-all yields the following: /pci@8,700000/scsi6,1 Target 2 Unit 0 Removable Disk INSITE I325VM *F0387GF<garbled stuff here> Fatal SCSI error at script address 10 unexpecte...

Any way to backup to a Sony SDK-5200 Tape drive(SCSI) using a Xircom USB-SCSI converter in OSX?
Thanks. I'd like to not have to buy more hardware. I would backup with Retrospect. Jack Stroh Jack Stroh <jackstroh@usa.net> writes: > > Thanks. I'd like to not have to buy more hardware. I would backup > with Retrospect. According to Dantz's compatibility engine, there's no such thing as an SDK-5200. There is an SDT-5200 DAT drive listed. If that's what you have, then it is supported with Retrospect version 2.1 or later. The drive should have firmware version 3.02 or later. No Xircom devices are listed on their MacOS X SCSI host adapter compatibility ...

SCSI 160 and SCSI 320
Is there a difference between a cable SCSI 160 and cable SCSI 320. Thanks a lot. ...

SCSI to USB
The last SCSI card in our RISC OS computers recently went to deadland, so in order to continue using the old SCSI scanner I'm wondering of there's a SCSI to USB adaptor plug/cable in much the same way as there is for the old Printers to USB. I've done quite a bit of looking online and can't really decide what I'm seeing in this regard, so time to ask advice methinks. Q1) Is there a Plug/cable SCSI to USB available? Q2) If so, any product names to suggest? Thanks Dave -- Dave Triffid In article <52ac0274b4dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes &...

Some SCSI Questions with SCSI Lib2
Hello, We have our own FPGA chip via which I am trying to send a SCSI command under VxWorks RTOS. I like to know where I may have to add the needed code to send a SCSI command (Request Sense, Inquiry) which are done via the scsiPhysDevCreate function. I understand the SCSI Lib 2 Template Driver as provided by VxWorks. But it does not have a fully clear Transaction using scsiTransact function pointer. I am guessing that when scsiPhysDevCreate is called it creates the SCSI Threads and it must have a way to send the SCSI command. And there is scsiThreadActivate function pointer which I am guessi...

SCSI 3 / SCSI 2
Hi, I'm a newbie about SCSI controllers and hard drives but I haven't found any answer in the newsgroups and over the net. I've got a SCSI-3 hard drive with a 68pin connector and a controller card with a 50pin connector, so I think that it is a SCSI-2 controller card. My question is: Can I connect my SCSI-3 Hard drive on my controller card using a 50/68 ping transceiver ? Thanks in advance, akiuni "akiuni" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:42694602$0$8847$636a15ce@news.free.fr... > Hi, > > I'm a newbie about SCSI controllers and...

Standard SCSI and Ultra SCSI
I have an Epson 1680 which has a SCSI interface... but it's a 'standard' SCSI port and I'm wondering whether an Ultra SCSI card will actually be compatible with it. I know that the Ultra is wider but I wasn't sure if can actually work in the normal SCSI mode... Cheers, alan_bloom@hotmail.com On Sun, 23 May 2004 08:16:05 -0500, Alan Bloom wrote (in article <40b0a40f_2@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>): > I have an Epson 1680 which has a SCSI interface... but it's a 'standard' > SCSI port and I'm wondering whether an Ultra SCSI card will ac...

Scsi
Hi Guys, I have some questions about a SCSI setup; not directly related to PS/2, but an IBM 8639 server with a raid controller with 4 drives, all of model DCAS-34330. One of the drives was deleted because of failure and I took the whole thing apart to check everything. This is the situation: Controller has the ID 7. Seen from the raid controller at the first connector is the CD-ROM, ID 1; then a drive with ID 2, next drive ID 4, next drive ID 3 and the last with ID 0. The drives 1-2-3 have the autospin disabled. The last drive on the chain is the autospin not disabled and the SCSI terminator is on. Questions: it seems to me that the ID setting is random, so what is the best setting? And what about the autospin? The SCSI cable has an active terminator at the end, so why is the last drive also terminated? In my opinion it shouldn't be. This one is also the defective one, so I have to replace it. Let me share your allmighty knowledge. George --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.525 / Virus Database: 322 - Release Date: 9-10-2003 Hi George ! 1. the physical order of devices along a SCSI bus is of little to no importance. There is no need to have device 0 closest to the controller and ID6 at the end. Exception 1: mixing 8- and 16-bit devices with adapter plugs. 16-bit (wide) devices might react funny if placed to far off from the controller. Excepti...

scsi
Hi I'd like to send some simple commands to a device connected to an adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI card using labview. I don't have a large sum of money to spend on third party products such as those from "icon". Is there any "native solution", possibly using hacks of windows dll's ? Thanks, JC John, obviously NI can supply scsi interface cards but at a cost the ni 8214. This includes the windows driver. If you can obtain a driver then you can call dlls from labview. I have no previous experience in this and I have looked at the discussions forums and also NI's r...

SCSI
Hi All, Hope you can help me out; I'm trying to install Warp 4.5 on a Intellistation Z Pro with 2 Xeon 1 GHz processors and 3 SCSI drives, 17GB, 17GB and 37GB. All Ultra 160. During setup when disk 1 is running the computer locked up and I found out that there is no driver for the AIC 7899 disk controller. I downloaded AICU160.ADD, removed some unused files from disk 1 and put the wright file on the disk. In the config.sys file on disk1 I put in top the next lines: BASEDEV=AICU160.ADD/V SET CopyFromFloppy=1 This should do, but during loading disk1 lots of text is scrolling and...

ScSi
I have two "Compaq Proliant ML370" servers and 1 A1000 storage array.I want to share the storage between these two servers. The Proliant server uses "Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra2 SCSI Adapter" The A1000 uses " Dual Differential Ultra/Wide SCSI (UDWIS/P)(HVD) " Is there any mismtach or can I go ahead and connect? On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:57:36 -0700, Ramesh wrote: > I have two "Compaq Proliant ML370" servers and 1 A1000 storage array.I > want to share the storage between these two servers. > > The Proliant server uses "Integrate...

SCSI
Can I plug a SCSI card to my comp without any disk connected within? Does any termination needed in that case? ...

SCSI
Hi Im thinking of getting a bigger hard drive for my 500. I have an A590, at the moment it still has the original 20MB drive in it. All I can find on ebay are 2 drive 50 pin SCSI cables. Do these work in the same way as ide cables in that you can just leave the second connector empty or do I need to add a terminator or another drive? In the case of the terminator is there any special terminator i need or just any 50 pin SCSI terminator? Thanks Robert "Robert Cook" <rc42@kent.ac.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio news:cp4m8a$ek7$1@athena.ukc.ac.uk... > Im th...

scsi
I recently removed an adaptec scsi ,panasonic cd burner,from my machine (win2000) and installed both in another machine.(win98).The new machine keeps asking for the correct driver,but I am using the same driver that was in the previous machine.which worked fine.Driver is Adaptec ez-scsi lite. v4.00e.The cd burner lights up but will do nothing else.Do I have to do anything in the Bios to get this working??.I have the burner terminated as it was in the previous machine. Thank you ds -- davru66@here_too.net.au, Replace here_too with bigpond Davo wrote: > I recently removed an adaptec scsi ...

SCSI 2 / Wide SCSI adaptor
Hi all, I know that I'll sound like a moron, and I think that I know the answer, but I prefer to ask before risking damagin anything. I've a Blizzard PPC 603e+, with a SCSI 2 interface, that, if I remember correctly (I haven't counted!) is 50 pins. "Moderm" SCSI hard disks are either Wide SCSI (68 pins) or some nasty Ultra Wide SCSI that have 80 pins. I do know that there're some adaptors out there, for example to connect a 68 pins drive to a 50 pins controller. Is OK to use one of those adaptors with the Blizzard? (I suppose that almost everyon...

SCSI cabling and termination (Bowling for SCSI)
http://ohlandl.kev009.com/IBM_SCSI/scsi_layout.html And it's a strike!!! ...

The SCSI controller does not see the SCSI drives?
Hi: I have two maxtor atlas IV 10K 36GB on the adaptec 39320R SCSI controller and when i bootup it does not see either of the drive. my system conformation is: Iwill dp533 dual xeon motherboard 2 x 2.4 GHZ xeon processors PNY QuadroFX 1000 4x 512MB kingston hypex pc2700 adaptec 39320R SCSI RAID controller 2x Maxtor atlas IV 10K 36GB adaptec 1200A Ide RAID controller 2x 200GB WD IDE drives sony CDR pioneer DVD 4x Rcorder I set the drive with the terminator to ID0 and the second drive in the chain ID1 I would appreciate any help with this. ...

SCSI CDROM responding on all SCSI IDs
I have an E250 with a Toshiba XM6201 CDROM drive that appears to be responding on all SCSI IDs. probe-scsi gets me what looks like the first HDD followed by 15 CDROM drives. The remaining 4 physical hard disks (there are five in total) are not reported at all. Sometimes probe-scsi just hangs about about ID 9 or ID a, depending on what HDD is where in the box. The CD device reads CDs and the machine will boot off the CD but when accessing the HDDs I get lots of IO errors (SCSI bus resets and other errors, DMA weirdness). If I try to do a Solaris install, sometimes it finds a device to ins...

Web resources about - USB to SCSI - comp.periphs.scsi

Parallel SCSI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parallel SCSI (formally, SCSI Parallel Interface , or SPI ) is one of the interface implementations in the SCSI family. In addition to being ...

How to Fix Your Quantum SCSI Hard Drive - YouTube
Got problems with your Quantum SCSI hard drive in your old Mac? Me too buddy, me too. Problematic! The problem relates to foamy rubbery bump ...

XSERIES 335 2.4GHZ 512MB SCSI HS OPEN BAY RACK
Quick Specs - Processor: Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz - Memory: 512.0 MB / 8.0 GB (max) - Optical Drive: CD-ROM - IDE - Graphics Processor: ATI RAGE XL. ...

Adaptec shows 12Gbps Serial Attached SCSI
The arrival of Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) at 12Gbps will be a boon for demanding applications such as databases, according to Adaptec by PMC, ...

The Advanced SCSI Programming Interface - Dr Dobb's MAR94: The Advanced SCSI Programming Interface
The advanced SCSI programming interface, available for DOS, OS/2, Novell NetWare, and other operating systems, provides a high-level function ...

ASUS loads P8Z77V with USB attached SCSI, beats Windows 8 to the punch
... it uses is showing its age. Some newer external drives hope sidestep the old protocol by supporting a new one: UASP, or, USB attached SCSI. ...

Asus UASP: USB 3.0 on SCSI flavored steroids
On Asus’s new motherboards — the P8Z77-V and some of its contemporary cousins — there’s an intriguing new feature: USB attached SCSI protocol, ...

Kernel Log: What's new in 2.6.29 - Part 6: Storage, IDE/PATA, SCSI
We look at what's new in the storage drivers for the 2.6.29 Linux Kernel

How to recover data from an old SCSI drive
... That Mac is a time capsule and it might be fun to see what’s on the hard drive. The challenge: how to transfer data from your old Mac’s SCSI ...

Bus Type and SCSI Address Reporting for ATA Devices
Sign in Dev Center - Hardware Home Dashboard Docs Samples Downloads Support Community Dev Center - Hardware > Docs > Devices > Storage Technologies ...