What SCSI card to buy?

Hi all,
I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.

What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy to be able to
connect these 2 items since I don't understand the difference between the
terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to buy a card and
not be able to connect these to it.

I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual it says its got an
Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it says its got a
SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.

Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.

Thanks Ray

0
Raymond
8/31/2003 5:38:47 PM
comp.periphs.scsi 2473 articles. 0 followers. l_x2828 (153) is leader. Post Follow

"Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message
> Hi all,
> I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
>
> What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy
to be able to
> connect these 2 items since I don't understand the
difference between the
> terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to
buy a card and
> not be able to connect these to it.
>
> I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual
it says its got an
> Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
> and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it
says its got a
> SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
>
> Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
> Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.

SCSI cards come in 2 styles - with or without a BIOS chip.
Cards with a BIOS chip can boot HDDs, CD drives and other
bootable devices.

Cards without BIOS chips cannot boot drives and are designed
for older or slower devices such as SCSI CD-ROMs, CD-Rs,
CD-RWs, DVDs, older HDDs, JAZ and ZIP drives, Tape drive, MO
Drives and scanners.

Scanners usually require only 5MB/sec throughput. Ultra SCSI
is 20MB/sec but CD devices rarely require more than 10MB/sec
capacity.

The latest SCSI HDDs and cards are very expensive and have
160 or 320MB/sec capacity.

Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
SCSI connectors. The "SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector" is
also known as HD50 (High Density 50) external connector.

The Plextor uses a standard 50 Pin internal cable.

Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
SCSI connectors.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html

You may get different opinions on this but here's a card
that will meet your connector requirements:  Adaptec AHA
2930. They list for ~$99 USD and come with a 50 Pin internal
cable. It's a bootable "Ultra SCSI" 20MB/sec card.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?ses
s=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnolog
y%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+PCs

The reason I suggested that card is because it works with
your devices and you wont need buy any additional cables or
adapters. Secondly, Adaptec is probably the largest SCSI
card maker and there are drivers for just about every OS.

Chas.

0
Chas
9/2/2003 8:36:40 AM
Thanks for replying chas,
That site with the connectors on it had a lot of info on SCSI, also I recon
ill go for the adaptec AHA 2930 like you suggested.

Ray

"* * Chas" <verktyg@aol.spamski.com (remove spamski to e-mail me)> wrote in
message news:sEY4b.8743$Ai2.3472@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...

> "Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message
> > Hi all,
> > I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
> >
> > What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy
> to be able to
> > connect these 2 items since I don't understand the
> difference between the
> > terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to
> buy a card and
> > not be able to connect these to it.
> >
> > I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual
> it says its got an
> > Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
> > and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it
> says its got a
> > SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
> >
> > Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
> > Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
>
> SCSI cards come in 2 styles - with or without a BIOS chip.
> Cards with a BIOS chip can boot HDDs, CD drives and other
> bootable devices.
>
> Cards without BIOS chips cannot boot drives and are designed
> for older or slower devices such as SCSI CD-ROMs, CD-Rs,
> CD-RWs, DVDs, older HDDs, JAZ and ZIP drives, Tape drive, MO
> Drives and scanners.
>
> Scanners usually require only 5MB/sec throughput. Ultra SCSI
> is 20MB/sec but CD devices rarely require more than 10MB/sec
> capacity.
>
> The latest SCSI HDDs and cards are very expensive and have
> 160 or 320MB/sec capacity.
>
> Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> SCSI connectors. The "SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector" is
> also known as HD50 (High Density 50) external connector.
>
> The Plextor uses a standard 50 Pin internal cable.
>
> Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> SCSI connectors.
>
> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html
>
> You may get different opinions on this but here's a card
> that will meet your connector requirements:  Adaptec AHA
> 2930. They list for ~$99 USD and come with a 50 Pin internal
> cable. It's a bootable "Ultra SCSI" 20MB/sec card.
>
> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?ses
> s=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnolog
> y%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+PCs
>
> The reason I suggested that card is because it works with
> your devices and you wont need buy any additional cables or
> adapters. Secondly, Adaptec is probably the largest SCSI
> card maker and there are drivers for just about every OS.
>
> Chas.

0
Raymond
9/2/2003 7:52:38 PM
Ray, how do you like that GigaByte mobo?

I'm looking to build a system, and it got a good rating on Toms Hardware (I
believe).

Thanks

"Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
>
> What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy to be able to
> connect these 2 items since I don't understand the difference between the
> terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to buy a card and
> not be able to connect these to it.
>
> I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual it says its got
an
> Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
> and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it says its got a
> SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
>
> Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
> Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
>

> Thanks Ray

0
DFS
9/3/2003 5:08:15 AM
Chas,

You seem SCSI-ready, so maybe you can give me some opinions.

I'm building a system for home use: high-end gaming, several-gig db
development work, etc.  I notice the SCSI Ultra320 drives and controllers
are pretty costly.  Ultra320 seems overkill, but the speed and reliability
might be worth it to me.  And then there's competition from the new SATA
drives - the new Western Digital Raptor 36gb compares very well with SCSI
for half the price.

There's a nice $370 mobo (Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra) with 2 onboard Ultra 320
interfaces to handle 4 devices, and a SCSI cable included.

I guess I'm just asking: what do you think about SCSI for high-end home
systems?  Ultra160?  320?

Any experience with the Maxtor Atlas III and IV drives?

Thanks

"* * Chas" <verktyg@aol.spamski.com (remove spamski to e-mail me)> wrote in
message news:sEY4b.8743$Ai2.3472@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...

> "Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message
> > Hi all,
> > I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
> >
> > What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy
> to be able to
> > connect these 2 items since I don't understand the
> difference between the
> > terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to
> buy a card and
> > not be able to connect these to it.
> >
> > I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual
> it says its got an
> > Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
> > and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it
> says its got a
> > SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
> >
> > Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
> > Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
>
> SCSI cards come in 2 styles - with or without a BIOS chip.
> Cards with a BIOS chip can boot HDDs, CD drives and other
> bootable devices.
>
> Cards without BIOS chips cannot boot drives and are designed
> for older or slower devices such as SCSI CD-ROMs, CD-Rs,
> CD-RWs, DVDs, older HDDs, JAZ and ZIP drives, Tape drive, MO
> Drives and scanners.
>
> Scanners usually require only 5MB/sec throughput. Ultra SCSI
> is 20MB/sec but CD devices rarely require more than 10MB/sec
> capacity.
>
> The latest SCSI HDDs and cards are very expensive and have
> 160 or 320MB/sec capacity.
>
> Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> SCSI connectors. The "SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector" is
> also known as HD50 (High Density 50) external connector.
>
> The Plextor uses a standard 50 Pin internal cable.
>
> Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> SCSI connectors.
>
> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html
>
> You may get different opinions on this but here's a card
> that will meet your connector requirements:  Adaptec AHA
> 2930. They list for ~$99 USD and come with a 50 Pin internal
> cable. It's a bootable "Ultra SCSI" 20MB/sec card.
>
> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?ses
> s=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnolog
> y%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+PCs
>
> The reason I suggested that card is because it works with
> your devices and you wont need buy any additional cables or
> adapters. Secondly, Adaptec is probably the largest SCSI
> card maker and there are drivers for just about every OS.
>
> Chas.

0
DFS
9/3/2003 5:22:45 AM
Hi Ray,

I just pulled a 2930 out of one of my systems and put in a 20160.

The 2930 is a retail box product and I will sell it to you if you like.
Guaranteed.  Please reply via email removing NoSpam if interested.

Sal

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:52:38 GMT, "Raymond L Coram"
<no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks for replying chas,
>That site with the connectors on it had a lot of info on SCSI, also I recon
>ill go for the adaptec AHA 2930 like you suggested.
>
>Ray
>
>"* * Chas" <verktyg@aol.spamski.com (remove spamski to e-mail me)> wrote in
>message news:sEY4b.8743$Ai2.3472@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>> "Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>> message
>> > Hi all,
>> > I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
>> >
>> > What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy
>> to be able to
>> > connect these 2 items since I don't understand the
>> difference between the
>> > terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to
>> buy a card and
>> > not be able to connect these to it.
>> >
>> > I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual
>> it says its got an
>> > Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
>> > and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it
>> says its got a
>> > SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
>> >
>> > Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
>> > Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
>>
>> SCSI cards come in 2 styles - with or without a BIOS chip.
>> Cards with a BIOS chip can boot HDDs, CD drives and other
>> bootable devices.
>>
>> Cards without BIOS chips cannot boot drives and are designed
>> for older or slower devices such as SCSI CD-ROMs, CD-Rs,
>> CD-RWs, DVDs, older HDDs, JAZ and ZIP drives, Tape drive, MO
>> Drives and scanners.
>>
>> Scanners usually require only 5MB/sec throughput. Ultra SCSI
>> is 20MB/sec but CD devices rarely require more than 10MB/sec
>> capacity.
>>
>> The latest SCSI HDDs and cards are very expensive and have
>> 160 or 320MB/sec capacity.
>>
>> Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
>> SCSI connectors. The "SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector" is
>> also known as HD50 (High Density 50) external connector.
>>
>> The Plextor uses a standard 50 Pin internal cable.
>>
>> Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
>> SCSI connectors.
>>
>> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html
>>
>> You may get different opinions on this but here's a card
>> that will meet your connector requirements:  Adaptec AHA
>> 2930. They list for ~$99 USD and come with a 50 Pin internal
>> cable. It's a bootable "Ultra SCSI" 20MB/sec card.
>>
>> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?ses
>> s=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnolog
>> y%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+PCs
>>
>> The reason I suggested that card is because it works with
>> your devices and you wont need buy any additional cables or
>> adapters. Secondly, Adaptec is probably the largest SCSI
>> card maker and there are drivers for just about every OS.
>>
>> Chas.

0
Salvatore
9/3/2003 9:00:59 PM
"DFS" <nospamDS@nospam.com> wrote in message news:vlauq02gs4pg7e@corp.supernews.com...
> Chas,
>
> You seem SCSI-ready, so maybe you can give me some opinions.

Well, he did hear the bell ring.

> I'm building a system for home use: high-end gaming, several-gig db
> development work, etc.  I notice the SCSI Ultra320 drives and controllers
> are pretty costly.

> Ultra320 seems overkill,

You don't need an Ultra320 controller for a single Ultra320 drive.
Depending on the STR of the particular drive an Ultra2 or Ultra160 is sufficient.

Any controller will sustain 4 drives of the same busspeed as the controller. The
STR of a drive will usually therefor not exceed 1/4th of the bus transfer rate.

> but the speed and reliability might be worth it to me.   And then there's
> competition from the new SATA drives - the new Western Digital Raptor
> 36gb compares very well with SCSI for half the price.
>
> There's a nice $370 mobo (Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra) with 2 onboard
> Ultra 320 interfaces to handle 4 devices, and a SCSI cable included.

Which by it's design is actually (or should I say acts) more like a MoBo with
a dual Ultra2 SCSI controller.

> I guess I'm just asking: what do you think about SCSI for high-end home
> systems?  Ultra160?  320?

Any current drive and a single channel Ultra160 max.

> Any experience with the Maxtor Atlas III and IV drives?
>

> Thanks
>

> "* * Chas" <verktyg@aol.spamski.com (remove spamski to e-mail me)> wrote in message
> >
> > "Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:Hoq4b.1322$YA7.12448924@news-text.cableinet.net...
> > > Hi all,
> > > I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
> > >
> > > What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy to be able to
> > > connect these 2 items since I don't understand the difference between the
> > > terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to buy a card and
> > > not be able to connect these to it.
> > >
> > > I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual it says its got an
> > > Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
> > > and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it says its got a
> > > SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
> > >
> > > Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
> > > Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
> >
> > SCSI cards come in 2 styles - with or without a BIOS chip.
> > Cards with a BIOS chip can boot HDDs, CD drives and other
> > bootable devices.
> >
> > Cards without BIOS chips cannot boot drives and are designed
> > for older or slower devices such as SCSI CD-ROMs, CD-Rs,
> > CD-RWs, DVDs, older HDDs, JAZ and ZIP drives, Tape drive, MO
> > Drives and scanners.
> >
> > Scanners usually require only 5MB/sec throughput. Ultra SCSI
> > is 20MB/sec but CD devices rarely require more than 10MB/sec
> > capacity.
> >
> > The latest SCSI HDDs and cards are very expensive and have
> > 160 or 320MB/sec capacity.
> >
> > Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> > SCSI connectors. The "SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector" is
> > also known as HD50 (High Density 50) external connector.
> >
> > The Plextor uses a standard 50 Pin internal cable.
> >
> > Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> > SCSI connectors.
> >
> > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html
> >
> > You may get different opinions on this but here's a card
> > that will meet your connector requirements:  Adaptec AHA
> > 2930. They list for ~$99 USD and come with a 50 Pin internal
> > cable. It's a bootable "Ultra SCSI" 20MB/sec card.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+PCs

> > The reason I suggested that card is because it works with
> > your devices and you wont need buy any additional cables or
> > adapters. Secondly, Adaptec is probably the largest SCSI
> > card maker and there are drivers for just about every OS.
> >
> > Chas.

0
Folkert
9/3/2003 11:04:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, Folkert.  More comments/questions below, of course:

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_Reply-To@myweb.nl> wrote in message

> "DFS" <nospamDS@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> > Chas,
> >
> > You seem SCSI-ready, so maybe you can give me some opinions.
>
> Well, he did hear the bell ring.

SCSI drives have bells, eh?  Nice feature....

> > I'm building a system for home use: high-end gaming, several-gig db
> > development work, etc.  I notice the SCSI Ultra320 drives and
controllers
> > are pretty costly.
>
> > Ultra320 seems overkill,
>
> You don't need an Ultra320 controller for a single Ultra320 drive.
> Depending on the STR of the particular drive an Ultra2 or Ultra160 is
sufficient.

If I have one Ultra320 drive, and the STR of the drive is 320mb/s, wouldn't
I need an Ultra320 controller to achieve max. throughput?

> Any controller will sustain 4 drives of the same busspeed as the
controller. The
> STR of a drive will usually therefor not exceed 1/4th of the bus transfer
rate.

Can it then be said that a controller with one drive connected will allow
STR = the controller bus transfer rate?

> > but the speed and reliability might be worth it to me.   And then
there's
> > competition from the new SATA drives - the new Western Digital Raptor
> > 36gb compares very well with SCSI for half the price.
> >
> > There's a nice $370 mobo (Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra) with 2 onboard
> > Ultra 320 interfaces to handle 4 devices, and a SCSI cable included.
>
> Which by it's design is actually (or should I say acts) more like a MoBo
with
> a dual Ultra2 SCSI controller.

OK.

> > I guess I'm just asking: what do you think about SCSI for high-end home
> > systems?  Ultra160?  320?
>
> Any current drive

Do you mean any current SCSI drive at all?  Doing a little hunting, I've
seen lots of variations, as below: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SCSI.html

SCSI-1: Uses an 8-bit bus, and supports data rates of 4 MBps
SCSI-2: Same as SCSI-1, but uses a 50-pin connector instead of a 25-pin
connector, and supports multiple devices. This is what most people mean when
they refer to plain SCSI.
Wide SCSI: Uses a wider cable (168 cable lines to 68 pins) to support 16-bit
transfers.
Fast SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus, but doubles the clock rate to support data
rates of 10 MBps.
Fast Wide SCSI: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 20 MBps.
Ultra SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus, and supports data rates of 20 MBps.
SCSI-3: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 40 MBps. Also called
Ultra Wide SCSI.
Ultra2 SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus and supports data rates of 40 MBps.
Wide Ultra2 SCSI: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 80 MBps.

Then there's Ultra160, Ultra320, etc.

Sorry, there are too many choices for my limited brain and current level of
knowledge.  Do you know a good "everything SCSI" source?  Whoops.. never
mind:

http://www.scsita.org/ and http://www.adaptec.com/  will make for some light
reading

This page makes a good case for Ultra320
http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/ultra320/faq.html  (but then they are the
SCSI trade association).

> and a single channel Ultra160 max.

Meaning you recommend at most a single channel Ultra160 controller for use
in a high-end home system?  Since that mobo I mentioned has a dual-channel
Ultra320 controller built in, I should be covered, right?

BTW, not trying to "pin you down" to anything, of course, just hoping for
some specific recommendations from experienced SCSI devotees.

Thanks again.

> > Any experience with the Maxtor Atlas III and IV drives?
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > "* * Chas" <verktyg@aol.spamski.com (remove spamski to e-mail me)> wrote
in message

> > > "Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > SCSI cards come in 2 styles - with or without a BIOS chip.
> > > Cards with a BIOS chip can boot HDDs, CD drives and other
> > > bootable devices.
> > >
> > > Cards without BIOS chips cannot boot drives and are designed
> > > for older or slower devices such as SCSI CD-ROMs, CD-Rs,
> > > CD-RWs, DVDs, older HDDs, JAZ and ZIP drives, Tape drive, MO
> > > Drives and scanners.
> > >
> > > Scanners usually require only 5MB/sec throughput. Ultra SCSI
> > > is 20MB/sec but CD devices rarely require more than 10MB/sec
> > > capacity.
> > >
> > > The latest SCSI HDDs and cards are very expensive and have
> > > 160 or 320MB/sec capacity.
> > >
> > > Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> > > SCSI connectors. The "SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector" is
> > > also known as HD50 (High Density 50) external connector.
> > >
> > > The Plextor uses a standard 50 Pin internal cable.
> > >
> > > Here's a site that shows pictures of some of the different
> > > SCSI connectors.
> > >
> > > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html
> > >
> > > You may get different opinions on this but here's a card
> > > that will meet your connector requirements:  Adaptec AHA
> > > 2930. They list for ~$99 USD and come with a 50 Pin internal
> > > cable. It's a bootable "Ultra SCSI" 20MB/sec card.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=En
glish+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+
PCs

> > > The reason I suggested that card is because it works with
> > > your devices and you wont need buy any additional cables or
> > > adapters. Secondly, Adaptec is probably the largest SCSI
> > > card maker and there are drivers for just about every OS.
> > >
> > > Chas.

0
DFS
9/4/2003 4:57:12 AM
"DFS" <nospamDS@nospam.com> writes:

> Thanks for the reply, Folkert.  More comments/questions below, of course:
>

> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_Reply-To@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "DFS" <nospamDS@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Chas,
> > >
> > > You seem SCSI-ready, so maybe you can give me some opinions.
> >
> > Well, he did hear the bell ring.
>
> SCSI drives have bells, eh?  Nice feature....
>

> > > I'm building a system for home use: high-end gaming, several-gig db
> > > development work, etc.  I notice the SCSI Ultra320 drives and
> controllers
> > > are pretty costly.
> >
> > > Ultra320 seems overkill,
> >
> > You don't need an Ultra320 controller for a single Ultra320 drive.
> > Depending on the STR of the particular drive an Ultra2 or Ultra160 is
> sufficient.
>
> If I have one Ultra320 drive, and the STR of the drive is 320mb/s, wouldn't
> I need an Ultra320 controller to achieve max. throughput?

The 320MB/sec refers to the *interface* speed.  The cache on the drive
may be this fast, but the hard drive itself sure isn't.  Hence you can
burst maybe a couple of megs (if it's in the disk's cache) at
320MB/sec, but, even with a modern state of the art drive, the *drive
itself* will max out somewhere in the vicinity of 50-80MB/sec.

This means that you can have 4 hard disks blazing away pretty much
simultaneously before the bus speed becomes a bottleneck.  For a
single user machine, it's rare/hard to run many drives
simultaneously.  You can have more drives and still never see a
slowdown because most of the time you talk to 0, 1, 2, or perhaps 3
drives at a time.

Theoretically, a standard 32-bit, 33MHz PCI bus maxes out at 133MB/sec
(and effectively is more like 100MB/sec).  A 64-bit, 33MHz slot is
only twice that and 266 < 320!  You can go with PCI-X and I haven't
checked the mobo.  The point is that unless you are running a major
fileserver on expensive hardware with big busses, the 320 is way
overkill.

In practical terms, get any LVD controller -- an Ultra2 will be
enough.  U160 is more than enough, and U320 is just silly.

--
Johan KULLSTAM <kullstj-nn@comcast.net> sysengr
0
"DFS" <nospamDS@nospam.com> wrote in message news:vldhm553j1h64@corp.supernews.com
> Thanks for the reply, Folkert.  More comments/questions below, of course:
>

> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_Reply-To@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:bj6284$fbo8s$1@ID-79662.news.uni-berlin.de...
> >
> > "DFS" <nospamDS@nospam.com> wrote in message news:vlauq02gs4pg7e@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > > Chas,
> > >
> > > You seem SCSI-ready, so maybe you can give me some opinions.
> >
> > Well, he did hear the bell ring.
>
> SCSI drives have bells, eh?  Nice feature....
>

> > > I'm building a system for home use: high-end gaming, several-gig db
> > > development work, etc.  I notice the SCSI Ultra320 drives and controllers
> > > are pretty costly.
> >
> > > Ultra320 seems overkill,
> >
> > You don't need an Ultra320 controller for a single Ultra320 drive.
> > Depending on the STR of the particular drive an Ultra2 or Ultra160 is sufficient.
>
> If I have one Ultra320 drive, and the STR of the drive is 320mb/s, wouldn't
> I need an Ultra320 controller to achieve max. throughput?

No, you would need an Ultra640 controller to achieve 320MB/s STR.

> > Any controller will sustain 4 drives of the same busspeed as the controller. The
> > STR of a drive will usually therefor not exceed 1/4th of the bus transfer rate.
>
> Can it then be said that a controller with one drive connected will allow
> STR = the controller bus transfer rate?

If that is the drive's STR, then yes, almost.
That will be several years from now before that happens.

> > > but the speed and reliability might be worth it to me.   And then there's
> > > competition from the new SATA drives - the new Western Digital Raptor
> > > 36gb compares very well with SCSI for half the price.
> > >
> > > There's a nice $370 mobo (Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra) with 2 onboard
> > > Ultra 320 interfaces to handle 4 devices, and a SCSI cable included.
> >
> > Which by it's design is actually (or should I say acts) more like a MoBo with
> > a dual Ultra2 SCSI controller.
>
> OK.
>

> > > I guess I'm just asking: what do you think about SCSI for high-end home
> > > systems?  Ultra160?  320?
> >
> > Any current drive
>
> Do you mean any current SCSI drive at all?  Doing a little hunting, I've
> seen lots of variations, as below: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SCSI.html
>
> SCSI-1: Uses an 8-bit bus, and supports data rates of 4 MBps
> SCSI-2: Same as SCSI-1, but uses a 50-pin connector instead of a 25-pin
> connector, and supports multiple devices. This is what most people mean when
> they refer to plain SCSI.
> Wide SCSI: Uses a wider cable (68 cable lines to 68 pins) to support 16-bit
> transfers.
> Fast SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus, but doubles the clock rate to support data
> rates of 10 MBps.
> Fast Wide SCSI: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 20 MBps.
> Ultra SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus, and supports data rates of 20 MBps.
> SCSI-3: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 40 MBps. Also called
> Ultra Wide SCSI.
> Ultra2 SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus and supports data rates of 40 MBps.
> Wide Ultra2 SCSI: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 80 MBps.

Several errors in there.

> Then there's Ultra160, Ultra320, etc.

Current is Ultra320 where drives are concerned.

www.scsifaq.org

> Whoops.. never mind:
>
> http://www.scsita.org/ and http://www.adaptec.com/  will make for some light
> reading
>
> This page makes a good case for Ultra320
> http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/ultra320/faq.html  (but then they are the
> SCSI trade association).
>

> > and a single channel Ultra160 max.
>
> Meaning you recommend at most a single channel Ultra160 controller for use
> in a high-end home system?

Obviously depends on the number of drives and how fast they are.
Desktop MoBos are restricted by a 132MB/s PCI bus which limits
the SCSI controller to same, so therefor Ultra160 max.

If you need more bandwidth than that then you
have to go the Server/Proff. Workstation route.

> Since that mobo I mentioned has a dual-channel
> Ultra320 controller built in, I should be covered, right?

It should be possible to make a cheaper board with a cheaper chip
with the exact same performance level.

> BTW, not trying to "pin you down" to anything, of course, just hoping
> for some specific recommendations from experienced SCSI devotees.
>

> Thanks again.
>

> > > Any experience with the Maxtor Atlas III and IV drives?
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > "* * Chas" <verktyg@aol.spamski.com (remove spamski to e-mail me)> wrote in message

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+PCs

0
Folkert
9/4/2003 3:09:30 PM
Hi DFS,

Motherboard is great now i've worked out that it was my IWILL Ultra Wide
2936 SCSI card that was causing the system to restart when I chose Shutdown,
either its wasn't compatible with the M/B, CPU or something else in the
system or it just failed.

Heres my system,
Lian-Li PC-75 Server Case with 4 fans and space for 2 more (its a BIG case).
Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
3 Gig Intel CPU with 800MHz FSB.
2 Gig 400 MHZ Crucial RAM - running in Dual Channel mode.
2 SATA 36 Gig 5ms 10000 rpm Western Digital Raptors running RAID on the
Intel RAID controller for Operating System.
2 SATA 36 Gig 5ms 10000 rpm Western Digital Rapters running RAID on the
Silicon Graphics controller fot Video editing.
1 EIDE 80 Gig 7200 rpm Western Digital for Backups and downloading on to.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128 meg.
Plextor SCSI CD Rewriter 32r 12w 10rw.
LG DVD ROM.
ZIP 100 internal.
Running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1.
Hyperthreading switched on.

It really flys

Ray

> Ray, how do you like that GigaByte mobo?
>
> I'm looking to build a system, and it got a good rating on Toms Hardware
(I
> believe).
>
> Thanks
>

> "Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
> >
> > What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy to be able to
> > connect these 2 items since I don't understand the difference between
the
> > terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to buy a card
and
> > not be able to connect these to it.
> >
> > I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual it says its got
> an
> > Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
> > and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it says its got a
> > SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
> >
> > Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
> > Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
> >

> > Thanks Ray

0
Raymond
9/4/2003 4:33:21 PM
Wow!  What a monster PC!

I say about $3300 or so, hand built?

> Hi DFS,
>
> Motherboard is great now i've worked out that it was my IWILL Ultra Wide
> 2936 SCSI card that was causing the system to restart when I chose
Shutdown,
> either its wasn't compatible with the M/B, CPU or something else in the
> system or it just failed.
>
> Heres my system,
> Lian-Li PC-75 Server Case with 4 fans and space for 2 more (its a BIG
case).
> Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
> 3 Gig Intel CPU with 800MHz FSB.
> 2 Gig 400 MHZ Crucial RAM - running in Dual Channel mode.
> 2 SATA 36 Gig 5ms 10000 rpm Western Digital Raptors running RAID on the
> Intel RAID controller for Operating System.
> 2 SATA 36 Gig 5ms 10000 rpm Western Digital Rapters running RAID on the
> Silicon Graphics controller fot Video editing.
> 1 EIDE 80 Gig 7200 rpm Western Digital for Backups and downloading on to.
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128 meg.
> Plextor SCSI CD Rewriter 32r 12w 10rw.
> LG DVD ROM.
> ZIP 100 internal.
> Running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1.
> Hyperthreading switched on.
>
> It really flys
>
> Ray
>
> "DFS" <nospamDS@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Ray, how do you like that GigaByte mobo?
> >
> > I'm looking to build a system, and it got a good rating on Toms Hardware
> (I
> > believe).
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Raymond L Coram" <no-spam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > > I'm pretty green when it comes to SCSI.
> > >
> > > What I would like to know is what Adaptec SCSI card to buy to be able
> > > connect these 2 items since I don't understand the difference between
> the
> > > terminology, Ultra, SCSI-2 and half pitch, I don't want to buy a card
> and
> > > not be able to connect these to it.
> > >
> > > I've got a Plextor CDRW, model PX-W1210TS, in the manual it says its
got
> > an
> > > Ultra SCSI 50 pin connector.
> > > and an Epson Perfection 1640SU Scanner, in the manual it says its got
> > > SCSI-2 half pitch 50 Pin connector.
> > >
> > > Using Windows XP Professional with Service pack 1.
> > > Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Motherboard.
> > >

> > > Thanks Ray

0
DFS
9/5/2003 12:38:21 AM
Thanks for the help, Johan.

"Johan Kullstam" <kullstj-nn@comcast.net> wrote in message

> The 320MB/sec refers to the *interface* speed.  The cache on the drive
> may be this fast, but the hard drive itself sure isn't.  Hence you can
> burst maybe a couple of megs (if it's in the disk's cache) at
> 320MB/sec, but, even with a modern state of the art drive, the *drive
> itself* will max out somewhere in the vicinity of 50-80MB/sec.
>
> This means that you can have 4 hard disks blazing away pretty much
> simultaneously before the bus speed becomes a bottleneck.  For a
> single user machine, it's rare/hard to run many drives
> simultaneously.  You can have more drives and still never see a
> slowdown because most of the time you talk to 0, 1, 2, or perhaps 3
> drives at a time.
>
> Theoretically, a standard 32-bit, 33MHz PCI bus maxes out at 133MB/sec
> (and effectively is more like 100MB/sec).  A 64-bit, 33MHz slot is
> only twice that and 266 < 320!  You can go with PCI-X and I haven't
> checked the mobo.  The point is that unless you are running a major
> fileserver on expensive hardware with big busses, the 320 is way
> overkill.
>
> In practical terms, get any LVD controller -- an Ultra2 will be
> enough.  U160 is more than enough, and U320 is just silly.

0
DFS
9/5/2003 5:22:27 AM
Thanks Folkert.

> [...]
> > in a high-end home system?
>
> Obviously depends on the number of drives and how fast they are.
> Desktop MoBos are restricted by a 132MB/s PCI bus which limits
> the SCSI controller to same, so therefor Ultra160 max.
>
> If you need more bandwidth than that then you
> have to go the Server/Proff. Workstation route.
>
> > Since that mobo I mentioned has a dual-channel
> > Ultra320 controller built in, I should be covered, right?
>
> It should be possible to make a cheaper board with a cheaper chip
> with the exact same performance level.
>

> > BTW, not trying to "pin you down" to anything, of course, just hoping
> > for some specific recommendations from experienced SCSI devotees.
> >

> > Thanks again.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=En
glish+US&prodkey=AHA-2930CU&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+

0
DFS