Converting a Compaq ML370 SCSI drive housing to USB or SATA, can it be done?

Hello.  I have multiple SCSI drives in my Compaq Proliant ML370.  My
goal is to decommision this power sucker and still have access and use
of my SCSI drives.  I currently use a Western Digital Terabyte drive
for my backups but would like to use the SCSI drives as archive
drives.  Are there any adapters out there for direct connect of one
drive or a converter for the entire rack?
0
Badams
3/19/2010 4:11:42 PM
comp.periphs 394 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <7138becd-1234-43aa-ba1f-149cdf5ffcad@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Badams  <aai8697@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello.  I have multiple SCSI drives in my Compaq Proliant ML370.  My
>goal is to decommision this power sucker and still have access and use
>of my SCSI drives.  I currently use a Western Digital Terabyte drive
>for my backups but would like to use the SCSI drives as archive
>drives.  Are there any adapters out there for direct connect of one
>drive or a converter for the entire rack?

The only USB to SCSI adapters I've seen are
end-of-life (abandoned) Xircom Macintosh only.
No Windows or Linux support.

Using a native SCSI Host Adapter (controller)
is still best for getting the true speed end to end.
Or perhaps a PC-card/PCMCIA SCSI card.
That's why I keep a SCSI card in one of my Linux machines:
just in case I need to attach a hard drive or tape drive.
0
jeffj
3/25/2010 9:50:03 AM
On Mar 25, 2:50=A0am, je...@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:
> In article <7138becd-1234-43aa-ba1f-149cdf5ff...@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups=
..com>,

> Badams =A0<aai8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hello. =A0I have multiple SCSI drives in my Compaq Proliant ML370. =A0My
> >goal is to decommision this power sucker and still have access and use
> >of my SCSI drives. =A0I currently use a Western Digital Terabyte drive
> >for my backups but would like to use the SCSI drives as archive
> >drives. =A0Are there any adapters out there for direct connect of one
> >drive or a converter for the entire rack?
>
> The only USB to SCSI adapters I've seen are
> end-of-life (abandoned) Xircom Macintosh only.
> No Windows or Linux support.
>
> Using a native SCSI Host Adapter (controller)
> is still best for getting the true speed end to end.
> Or perhaps a PC-card/PCMCIA SCSI card.
> That's why I keep a SCSI card in one of my Linux machines:
> just in case I need to attach a hard drive or tape drive.

Thank you for the information.  I will have to try that connection.  I
have all the ribbons still connected to the server.  I will have to
try the converter with power.
0
Badams