Problems with my high-speed internet connection

'm using a G4 PowerBook (made in 2004), and I'm having a problem with
my high-speed internet connection -- which I hope does NOT mean my Mac
is damaged.  Me and my wife have both been connecting to the internet
via a high-speed cable modem and a router that lets both of us connect
to the modem via ethernet cables.  Recently,, there was a lighteneing
strike right outside of my house, which seems to have fried our
opriginal modem and my wife's ethernet card. The cable company gave us
a new modem and got my wofe connected via a USB adaptor, and now we;re
MORE OR LESS back in the saddle --
 -- but I'm having two persistant problems with my ethernet connection
to the internet.  First, I can establish and keep a connection just
fine -- until I put my Mac to sleep by closing the cover.  That breaks
the connection and I have to reboot to re-establish it.  WHat may be
relevant is that this behavior started when I switched to running the
Mac from the bettery, although it's persisted after I;ve gone back to
running it from an AC connection.  I'm wondering if running it from the

battery changed a preference that I need to reset.

The second problem is specific to one of two locations at which I can
connect -- each of which uses a different ethernet cable.  At one
location, I can re-establish the connection as soon as I reboot the
computer.  At the second location -- at which I connect using a
different ethernet cable -- , it takes awhile to establish the
connection.  WHen the Mac first recongnizes the ethernet connection
after rebooting, the LED on the router that corresponds to the port I'm

using flashes off and on and I can't connect.  After awhile, the LED
comnes on steaadlity and I cxan connect.  I know it's not the port,
because I connected each of the two cables to that port and it happens
with one cable and not the other.  Could this behavior be due to a
damaged ethernet cable.

Any advice anyone could give would be appreciated.

0
David
5/27/2006 3:12:59 PM
comp.periphs 394 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

problem with high-speed internet connection
I'm using a G4 PowerBook (made in 2004), and I'm having a problem with my high-speed internet connection -- which I hope does NOT mean my Mac is damaged. Me and my wife have both been connecting to the internet via a high-speed cable modem and a router that lets both of us connect to the modem via ethernet cables. Recently,, there was a lighteneing strike right outside of my house, which seems to have fried our opriginal modem and my wife's ethernet card. The cable company gave us a new modem and got my wofe connected via a USB adaptor, and now we;re MORE OR LESS back in the sadd...

DSL internet connection & high speed internet .
http://att-products.com/internet_dsl.php An AT&T hih speed dsl internet providing company. Choose the best att high speed internet DSL from att. ...

Shared High Speed Internet Connection/Router?
Greetings all, I know that -just like a router- some switches deliver full speed at each port (eg Linksys SD216 and many others) instead of dividing the total bandwidth among all ports. In view of all this, I have a couple questions I hope somebody out there can answer: ..- I want to connect 14 PCs to an ADSL 1.5 Mbps connection. What are the advantages of using a router instead of a switch? (other than security, which I am aware of). The PCs are standalone units and will not be connected to any network other than the Internet. ..- Would a port set to 200 Mb create a bottleneck if con...

problems with aol on my high speed LAN connection help
i have a Roadrunner high speed LAN connection with aol as my isp. when i installed this setup on my new pc, when the aol welcome screen comes up, it looks normal, but my browser won't go anywhere, it just spins and stops. a box comes up and says aol detects a problem with your internet connection. i have rebooted and reinstalled many times. this happened on my old pc along time ago ,but i do not remember what configuration fixed it. i am using windows 98, by the way. i am going nuts over this. any help would be appreciated. kkatarinaice@aol.com (i am back on my old pc to s...

High Speed Internet
Hi, I have a USB alcatel high speed modem. The problem is that my connection seems to stop after a while. If a connection already exists (eg:downloads, msn) it doesn't disconnect. But often it doesn't seem to be able to make a new connection, through a browser, for example. Sometimes after about 20 seconds it connects, sometimes never. Has anyone had this problem, is there a reason? Thanks, Loson ...

Conexant high speed to generic low speed connection
I need to know how to force a given connect speed using my new laptop's built in "Conexant D480 MDC V.92 Modem". With my old USRobotics, I used the "at&n1" to force 300 baud, and it worked like a charm, to connect to environmental data collection platforms. (These remote devices have a fairly short timeout; if you don't establish a modem connection quickly they assume you are making a voice call and deliver a voice synthesized message... of little use to me.) Any advice is welcome. Conexant offers no help, nor have I found anything at modemhelp.org....

High-Speed Internet Price Wins vs. Speed-Forrester
PHILADELPHIA, Dec 9 (Reuters) - High-speed Internet customers care more about price than speed of service, according to a study by Forrester Research Inc., which could give telephone companies an edge over cable rivals in the race for customers. As high-speed Internet service becomes more mainstream, the latest customers are more price sensitive than the techno-geeks who were the first to abandon dial-up modems for faster, always-on links to the Web, according to the study released on Tuesday. - http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=36792289 ...

Fix Internet connection problem with Rizone Complete Internet Repair
Rizone Complete Internet Repair 0.9.5.955 when experience Internet connection problems. Complete Internet Repair can save your time of troubleshooting by around two clicks. Select which items you want to repair and click the go button. Rizone Complete Internet Repair is basically a combination of Internet Recovery KIT and Winsock Repair to help to troubleshoot following problems: * Internet or network problem after removing adware, spyware, virus, worm, Trojan horse, etc. * Loss network connection after installing/uninstalling adware, spyware, antispam, vpn, firewall or other netwo...

Internet Connect Problem
My mum's computer runs the last version of Panther (10.3.9?) and has a dial up connection. When I first set up Internet Connect, I created two configurations, 'Main Number' and 'Alternate Number', which dialled one or other of her ISP's numbers. We left it set on 'Main Number' and this worked fine for years. A few weeks ago her ISP notified her of a change of phone number. I opened Internet Connect and typed the new number into the open configuration, which was 'Main Number' but, when I tried to close Internet Connect, it prompted me to save the configu...

problem connecting to internet
I am having a vexing problem with my new iBook G4. My internet apps sometimes won't work. I've done an archive and install (saving my old settings), and even had the DSL modem replaced. The SBC tech changed the modem's setting from public to private, thinking this would solve the problem again. It didn't. I did find out about the modem's diagnostics, and when i ran them, it failed the atm and dns tests. Internet Diagnostics showed failures for only the last two tests (internet and the one below it). I just went into the network prefs pane and deleted everything exce...

Problem With Internet Connection
I recently bought a new modem to replace one I determined was not working and installed it along with its drivers. It dialed right up making the right noises and connected, verified my log-on info etc. It allowed me to "activate" my new copy of Windows XP on that machine which was one reason I was in a hurry to solve the problem as the time was running on that. BUT after it did allow that I have have been unable to get any browser to open to a site OR to connect to Symantic Virus uodae or any other connections of that type. It still makes the right sounds, verfies name ...

internet connection problems
G3 iMac running 10.2.8. Machine has sat for about 4 months without use before getting it out to set up for my recently married son. PRAM battery is OK. Can connect to my ISP without problems but it goes nowhere from there. Will not connect for mail and Safari will load no pages. What prefs do I trash to start over in case one of the prefs is messed up? When the machine was running before, it was connecting wirelessly by way of a Belkin USB adaptor and was working fine with my 800mhz iMac with an airport card and airport extreme base. Now can not make the thing work with a regular connection. ...

Internet Connect Problem
Am a newbie, trying the Xandros flavor of Lixux. Am trying to connect with a dialup modem. The Internet Connection Wizard reports to finding a 56k Hayes compatible modem; it finds the correct driver and says all is working. But when the number is dialed, after beeping and static noises, there is a rotary connection to the operator, with a message too garbled to understand. (I think it is telling me to hang up and dial again.) This is similar to an experience in Outlook Express if one forgets to enter a "1" to signal a new area code or forgets to enter an area code or has a wron...

Problem With Internet Connection
I recently bought a new modem to replace one I determined was not working and installed it along with its drivers. It dialed right up making the right noises and connected, verified my log-on info etc. It allowed me to "activate" my new copy of Windows XP on that machine which was one reason I was in a hurry to solve the problem as the time was running on that. BUT after it did allow that I have have been unable to get any browser to open to a site OR to connect to Symantic Virus uodae or any other connections of that type. It still makes the right sounds, verfies name ...

High speed internet
Should I be concerned about OS/2 compatibility with these high speed internet lines? I have WOW! as my cable source. Thanks in advance for your comments On 02/21/08 10:59 am Tom Clough wrote: > Should I be concerned about OS/2 compatibility with these high speed > internet lines? I have WOW! as my cable source. Thanks in advance for > your comments I've never heard of WOW!, but my OS/2 / eCS machines worked fine with Optimum Online in NY and currently work fine with Charter in Michigan -- both cable. Perce On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:59:54 UTC in comp.os....

Connection to internet problem
Hi! I get: error PPP timeout (0x1231) _________________ Unable to establish PPP Connection what should I do? I have Zire72, (Versamail, Yanof), using bluetooth to connect PC (windows 2000, Outpost firewall) I have RTFM but did not helped me. -- Odo. # Tech Support: "Are you reading an error message to me?" # Customer: "No, I'm reading an error message to you." Me too but with a T3 anyone else? James "Odo" <Odo@ds9.com> wrote in message news:cd2kkc$n2a$1@ls219.htnet.hr... > Hi! > > I get: > error PPP time...

Internet Connect problem
Have recently upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3.8 on a G4 Quicksilver on dial-up. On 10.2.8 there was never a problem connecting. But now am getting messages " A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again" . These happen in about one in three attemps to dial-up. Anybody with any ideas? -- Avoid my SP|KE when replying >>>>> "petefinn" == petefinn <petefinn@SP> writes: petefinn> Have recently upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3.8 on a G4 petefinn> Quicksilver on dial-up. On 10.2.8 there was never a petefinn> problem ...

internet connection speed
What are some web sites that can check one's connection speed? -- Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: > What are some web sites that can check one's connection speed? The one I use is: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods. <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/greet.cgi> Holiday cards with att...

Internet connection problem
Hello, I have 'successfully' installed FC8 in a Shuttle XPC SK32G2. ADSL disconnects after 30 to 40 minutes. Following some internet suggestions, SE Linux & Fire wall are disabled, still the same result. The system required reboot to start the internet connection again. [Was using XP to download FC8 install media, the connection was stable then] Any suggestions? On 2007-12-18, Biinu <B3A5Ts@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > Hello, > > I have 'successfully' installed FC8 in a Shuttle XPC SK32G2. ADSL > disconnects after 30 to 40 minutes. Fo...

Problem in connect to the internet
Hi, I am using Redhat Linux 9. In the booting process, every thing is ok except one:'Bringing up interface eth0'. The error message is 'Determining IP information for eth0....failed' However, after the startup, I use 'ifconfig' and find that the system has already detected the card, but with no 'inet address and netmask'. I use 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.255' to set the ip address. After this, I use 'adsl-setup' to configure the ppp. However, it can't work. I use '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart ' to see whe...

problem with Internet connection
I've install mozilla to Internet browser but I can't browse. If I do ping to localhost, dns provider server and to the router it says me that it's alive. But when I try to browse, mozilla says me "www.sun.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again" Any help? Thanks a lot On May 1, 7:14 am, ABSOLUT <davidt...@gmail.com> wrote: > I've install mozilla to Internet browser but I can't browse. > > If I do ping to localhost, dns provider server and to the router it > says me that it's alive. > > But when I try to brows...

Internet connection problem
I am in the process of upgrading my home network from a dial-up to broadband account. The only choice that I have for a broadband account is Mediacom in central Iowa. Now my hub computer (a rh 8.0 box) can connect to mediacom, but mediacom announces the dns address at connect time. The hub computer has the address somewhere, but the client boxes don't. Therefore none of my client boxes can reach the web, because they don't know what the current dns address is. My client machines are as follows: 1. WinXP 2. Fedora Core 1 3. Win-ME (via Win4lin) 4. Win-98 I am assuming that I am go...

Web resources about - Problems with my high-speed internet connection - comp.periphs

High-speed rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"High speed train" redirects here. For an article about the High Speed Train, a diesel-powered train in the UK, see InterCity 125 . whilst in ...

How Mark Zuckerberg Hopes To Bring High-Speed Internet Access To Every K-12 Student In The U.S.
... and Melinda Gates Foundation — is that its goal is to ensure that every student in the U.S. from kindergarten through grade 12 has high-speed ...

Law Enforcement & the Police: What's the best way to escape the police in a high-speed car chase? - Quora ...
... with a strict pursuit policy. In my department, unless a suspect vehicle was an obvious DWI (swerving white line to white line, erratic speed ...

High Speed Street Racing Free Multiplayer Car Race Game on the App Store on iTunes
Get High Speed Street Racing Free Multiplayer Car Race Game on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

High-speed photography - a set on Flickr
High speed photography. If anyone has any requests I'd be happy to blow it up for you! Most of these photos are taken with a special flash unit ...

High-Speed Robots Part 1: Meet BettyBot in "Human Exclusion Zone" Warehouses-The Window-WIRED - YouTube ...
Get a bots'-eye view of the "human exclusion zone" in a massive warehouse where an army of high-tech robots finds and fulfills up to 30,000 orders ...

10 dead as French high-speed train derails - AdelaideNow Search Search
AT least 10 people were killed and five more were missing after a French high-speed train derailed during a test run, the first fatal accident ...

High-speed video still bogged down by inadequate streaming capabilities
Australian broadband continues to linger well behind countries such as South Korea and the United States.

10 dead as French high-speed train derails - The Courier-Mail Search Search
AT least 10 people were killed and five more were missing after a French high-speed train derailed during a test run, the first fatal accident ...

10 dead as French high-speed train derails - DailyTelegraph Search Search
A FRENCH high-speed train that derailed on a test run, leaving at least 10 dead and 37 injured, had "several children" on board.