SCSI device on a laptop: PC Card or USB/SCSI converter?

I want to attach a SCSI device (my DAT drive) to a laptop computer.
There appear to be two ways to do this: a PC Card SCSI adapter such as
the Adaptec 1460, or a USB 2.0-to-SCSI adapter -- the only one I know
of is Adaptec's USB2XCHANGE.

Does have anyone have experience with these solutions? Informed
opinions on which would be more robust? Faster?

From a technical point of view I prefer the USB2XCHANGE approach, but
it's relatively new technology, so I'm a bit wary.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.
0
Jonathan
9/14/2003 3:44:47 PM
comp.periphs 394 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Jonathan Sachs <nobody@nospam.accepted> wrote:
> I want to attach a SCSI device (my DAT drive) to a laptop computer.
> There appear to be two ways to do this: a PC Card SCSI adapter such as
> the Adaptec 1460, or a USB 2.0-to-SCSI adapter -- the only one I know
> of is Adaptec's USB2XCHANGE.
>
> Does have anyone have experience with these solutions? Informed
> opinions on which would be more robust? Faster?
>
> From a technical point of view I prefer the USB2XCHANGE approach, but
> it's relatively new technology, so I'm a bit wary.
>
> My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

I use a 1460 under both Linux and Win98 to do backups to a DAT drive.
It works. The DAT drive speed is the limiting factor, not the
interface speed, so from a speed standpoint, they will be about the
same.

	Jerry
0
Jerry